• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No charge smash up-a or uair?

Poke

Smash Cadet
I was playing my friend alot today, the whole time me being marth and doc. 6 hours, actually. Anyway, I found that when I had him in the air, in a way that he's going to be falling immobaly in second or two, I had an option of u-airing, fast falling, l canceling and going up for another combo or racking up some damage with an up-smash. Unless he's got 100% or higher, the up-smash pretty much has no knockback.

What do you find best for this situation?

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
I'm no Marth expert by any means, but in almost all ways, Marth's up-tilt is much better than his up-smash. Larger range, less lag, easier to tip.

You could also move (wavedash or otherwise) out of the way and get him in a fsmash.

Byped

Smash Cadet
use up- tilt , up smash is for newbs................

up-tilt is probably one of the best moves marth has (behind f -smash)

if you can, let him fall and catch him in a fair combo untill he is off the edge.

It takes some practice but when he is off the stage use your b-bair + edgehog to keep him off.

Byped

Smash Cadet
wow
you reponded 1 minute before me

it wasnt on there a sec ago....

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Byped, use edit function, too much double posting will get u banned.

uair is great, probably only against marth, roy, sheik, ganon, link, ylink, or other people close to those weights.

usmash is useless.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Uair is a favorite of mine, because it is excellent for juggling on players that don't know how to air-dodge. >_> It goes straight through Link's Dair. :)

Juke

Smash Journeyman
Small jump fair to upair is too good and leads to more awesome stuff. I've been using upair more often because my fair combos get DIed out of.

falco-hokage

Smash Cadet
light chrctrs= u-tilt to a fsmash or if at high enough damage combo with a full jump or shffle(depending on damage, train to get a feel 4 damage-distance-stun variables) bair then a fair when he turn around cuz of the bair then fsmash or do a fair 2 a ff l-cancel fair 2a fsmash.

heavy chrctrs or floaters= u-tilt then shffle a bair to a double fair and repeat at low damage if apponent is behind u or s-hop l-cancel a double fair and repeat if they r in front of u.(and again depending on damage, train to get a feel 4 damage-distance-stun variables. ex. at higher damage u will have to do a full jump)

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think bair could be combo'd out of that easily... maybe it's just because I only use it for edgeguarding. In any case, yeah, everyone else has it right. Utilt > Uair > Usmash. I simply can't find any use for Usmash. It's not even that powerful with the impossible-to-land tippers, and you can always SHFFL uair ->Fair combos if you're quick enough. Utilt just ***** because you can usually land it 3-4 times before they can get out of it, and you can still chase to land more hits. Definitely consider using the tilt in the future.

Yaiba Odoriko

Smash Rookie
I've found ONE good use for Usmash. Use it when an opponent is on a platform directly above you, like on dreamland or battlefield. Well...only use it if they are fall towards it and you can charge a bit. If you can't charge, Utilt is still better.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Most Fox/Falcos won't DI Marth's UThrow between 40% - 55%~, because they'll get tippered. :D Knowing this, Uthrow -> Usmash -> Whatever turns out to be a fairly reliable combo.

Other than that UTilt is better in almost every way.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Maybe you could mindgames' your opponent into a tipped Usmash if their at high % and floaty.. I wouldn't suggest Usmash though.

Maybe pressure them with Utilts from Uthrows. Then Uthrow them, wait for their jump to avoid you Utilt (or Fsmash if they DI) then juggle them with Uair. They won't have a jump so they can't really escape. Plus if they go too far out a tipped Fair sends them upward as well.

Top Bottom