• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Favorites are probably Ruby or Jaune.

Least favorite? Uh... The bad guys?

They're mean.

I don't dislike any of the main cast.

Eh.
Nah, bad guys like Cinder and Emerald are okay. Adam is probably the worst in my opinion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, who the hell is Fehs mate? She need a mate to lay those eggs er orbs.
Not necessarily. If owls are anything like chickens, which I imagine they are, they don't need to mate to lay eggs. The eggs just wouldn't be fertilized.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Not necessarily. If owls are anything like chickens, which I imagine they are, they don't need to mate to lay eggs. The eggs just wouldn't be fertilized.
Well then the summons being the chicks wouldnt make since because chicks arent born from unfertalized eggs

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I think I'll start doing some UltraSun updates now:

Current team:

Technically, I'm currently in the cemetery right before the battles with Plumeria and Olivia. All of my Pokemon are 5 levels higher than what you see here.

Explanation on the nicknames and Pokemon choices:

Makoto the Brionne: Primarina is my favorite of the Alola starters, so I decided to go with it again. Funny story: First time I picked up Popplio in this game, it got a -Atk nature, so I reset the game... until it turned out I forgot to save right before it, thus putting me back to the start of the adventure. When I got Popplio the second time from that, I got a Modest nature one, a.k.a. the best nature for Popplio. Talk about getting lucky!

Anyway, it's one of the strongest Pokemon in my team at the moment. It has some nice coverage all around with Icy Wind, Bubblebeam, and Disarming Voice at the moment. It also has Aqua Jet to finish off opposing Pokemon when they're in the red.

As for the nickname, I named it after Makoto Tachibana from Free. Since I got a female Popplio and named it Azura in Sun, I decided to not care about getting a female this time around and instead just focus on getting a decent nature for it. If it was male, I decided to name it after one of the main characters of Free. It was between either Haru or Makoto, both of which were my favorite characters in that show, but in the end, I chose Makoto because he has the better singing voice, which fits Primarina's nature well.

Voltron the Magnemite: Pretty much a temporary member until I get Bisharp. I've been using Magemite for the Water trial, and it looks like it'll be around to help with the Fairy trial as well. It's been a decent member thus far. Great for knocking out Water and Flying-types. Once it evolves into Magneton, I'll transfer it to Sun via Pokebank so I can evolve into Magnezone in that game, then bring it back through the same method.

Rem the Fomantis: Lurantis is my favorite Alola Pokemon, so of course it'll be on my team again. I decided to name it after Rem, the blue-haired maid from Re:Zero and my favorite female anime character. Like Rem, Lurantis is pretty but also quite the slasher and even sneaky too.

Unlike Sun, I caught a Fomantis as early as Route 5 this time, but that's because I didn't know Fomantises were catchable that early until after I beat my adventure then.

Thus far, this Fomantis has been doing a better job than in Sun, though that could just because I caught it earlier than Lush Jungle. It's also Docile nature, fitting for Rem's normal nature as well.

Fafnir the Noibat: I always put a Flying-type on my story team, and when I learned you could catch a Noibat as early as Verdant Cavern, I figured I could finally try using a Noivern on my team. This was the first Noibat I ran into upon returning to the Verdant Cavern after Ilima's Trial, and boy did I get lucky with catching it: It has a Modest nature! This thing will wreck havoc as a special sweeper once it evolves into Noivern! It had a rough start at first, but it has been getting better as the story moves on. I plan on giving it an Eviolite for the later portion of the game since it evolves into Noivern at level 48, so I need to keep its defenses high during that waiting period.

As for the nickname origin? I named him after the same dragon that Siegfried slayed in his legend. Speaking of Siegfried...

Siegfried the Gallade: I was a happy man when I learned Ralts was finally catchable in this game, because that meant I could add Gallade on my story team. Would've been nice if the Ralts family was part of the Alola dex (because that would mean they'd all get new Pokedex entries), but hey, the Island Scan gives you the chance to get one during the story, so I went with that anyway. Took me some time to get a male Ralts with a nature I wanted (it ended up being Bashful, and while it is not an Attack or Speed boosting nature, it's still better than getting a nature that lowered both of those stats or even Defense or Special Defense).

For this game, I named Gallade after Sumania Man Saber of Black from Fate/Apocrypha, a.k.a. the great German hero of legend who defeated the evil dragon Fafnir. Siegfried is a cool dude in Fate/Apocrypha and is currently my best Saber in Fate/Grand Order, so I had to give the man some love. Funny how Siegfried is fighting alongside the dragon he once slayed, right? Well, my personal head cannon is that Fafnir was reborn as a Noibat in this game, and now Fafnir will grow up to become a good dragon thanks to the influence of some teammates like Rem's docile nature, Makoto's kind-heartedness, and Siegfried's apologetic tendencies.

Also, now that have Gallade is finally in my story team, I can now have both a Lurantis and Gallade on my team and make headcannons of them fighting together with their dual-wielding skills and learning from each other. Perhaps they might even develop feelings for one another as well!

Gameplay-wise, Siegfried had a rough start as a Ralts and Kirlia, but after evolving it into Gallade, it's been doing much better and ic currently one of my strongest teammates. How did I evolve it into Gallade this early? I transferred Kirlia to my Sun copy there to evolve via the Dawn Stone (because no way am I going to spend countless days doing the Poke Pelago lottery for a Dawn Stone) and give it Leaf Blade, Night Slash, and Psycho Cut via the move relearner (no way is it going to know Magical Leaf for most of the adventure until the end when the move relearner finally shows up), then brought it back the same way. I debated about giving it Close Combat via the move relearner as well, but I decided to stick with Brick Break as its main Fighting-type move for the time being.

Sirius the Litwick: Though Chandelure is one of my favorite Pokemon, I've never actually used it in my story team. With UltraSun, I decided to change that once I learned Litwick was an Island Scan Pokemon. It took a bit of time to catch a decent nature Litwick, but I got a neutral nature one and decided to stick with it.

Nickname-wise, I named it after...

Sirius, the Archbishop of Wrath amongst the Witch Cultists.

Although Sirius from Re:Zero relies mostly on chains as her means of attack, I do find her and Chandelure in regards to their looks. Both give off creepy vibes and only have their eyes shown (in Sirius's case, it's because her head is bandaged-up like a mummy, with only the eyes visible).

Sirius also shares her name with brightest star of the night sky that hails from the Canis Major constellation; you can draw the fiery connections between Chandelure and Sirius from that as well.

Funny story: I forgot Flame Burst was a special-type move, so when I accidentally ignored it, I had to transfer Litwick to Sun via Pokebank so that I could teach it a good Fire-type move there (as well as Shadow Ball). Which Fire move? Flamethrower!

Though only a Litwick, it's proving to be a very reliable Pokemon thus far. It makes a great tank against special attackers, and it can wreck havoc on foes with Shadow Ball and Flamethrower.

Once it evolves into Lampent, I plan on transferring it back to Sun just to give it the Dusk Stone so that it can evolve.

Now for the story and battles thus far:

Normal-type trial: Was still easy for the most part. If you have a Spearow, make sure you trade with that one woman in the Pokemon Center in Route 2 because she'll give you a Hawlucha in exchange. That Hawlucha has some solid Attack and Speed stats and will prove very useful in the Island Trial that follows. That Pokemon helped me carry to victory that way.

Grand Trial vs Hala: Was in-between for the most part: not easy, but not that hard either. Though I used Fafnir for its Flying-type attacks, it was getting damaged quite a bit by Hala's Machop's Revenge, so I had to switch into Sirius at some parts of the fight to nullify some Fighting-type attacks. Sirius even managed to stall out Hala's Crawbrawler to the point that the latter died from burn. Makuhita was taken out easily by a Trumbeak I had at the time, and Fafnir Kid the Machop when it came back to fight as Hala's last Pokemon.

Water-type trial: Much harder than the Totem Wishiwashi battle in Sun/Moon. Totem Araquanid is just a really strong Pokemon that has its Water attacks boosted with the rain. It even knows Aurora Beam for Flying-type coverage! It can also call Masquerain as an ally Pokemon and have it use Initimidate to lower your active Pokemon's attack, and it even has a Wacan Berry on it to lower the initial Electric-type attack!

My strategy for the fight was starting with Trumbeak and having it use Pluck to eat Totem Araquanid's Wacan Berry. This way, Voltron could come in and hit away with its Electric-type attacks. Trumbbeak went down quickly once Masquerain came into the picture. I brought out Voltron and landed a few more hits on the Totem Araquanid before it went down to a powered-up Bubble attack. I had to sacrifice Makoto for the battle just so I could revive Voltron. Voltron came back and managed to land a few more hits, though it was close to being KOing again. Masquearain went down shortly after.

Fire-type trial: Battle was over in one turn thanks to Makoto using Hydro Vortex on Totem Alolan Marowak. However, Totem Alolan Marowak does now Brick Break, so using a Rock-type might not be the best option for this battle. That's the best advice I can give. it can also summon Salazzle as an Ally Pokemon.

The trial leading up to it sadly lessened the hilarity with the photobombing Hiker. Instead of the Hiker showing up in the second image to show what's different, he shows up in the first image before Kiawe asks what's different (in the same photo-bombing stance). For the second image, what's different about the photobombing Hiker is that his smile is different instead of just showing up like in the original.

Grass-type trial: I was horrified when I learned they changed the Ally Pokemon for the Totem Lurantis battle. Why? Because both Ally Pokemon, a Kecleon and a Comfey, know Sunny Day! I remember how the Sun made Totem Lurantis to KO because of its one-turn Solar Blade and its full-powered Synthesis, so I was dreading the fight. However, I learned that picking Torracat turns this battle into a joke, so I thought to myself, "Why not I just give Sirius a Firium-Z and have it use its Z-move on the first turn? I did exactly that with Totem Lurantis, and it went down on the first turn. Thank goodness!

They changed up the trial leading up to it too. Now, you don't use Stoutland to find the ingredients. Instead, Mallow takes you to a part of Lush Jungle, and you'll notice multiple spots where you can pick up the ingredient she wants. However, you have to pick the right sot to pick up the ingredient, or else a Wild Pokemon will attack you as she cooks her meal. Apparently, you have to pick the spot that the Wild Pokemon "does not have its eyes on." In the first two ingredients' case, they were Wild Fomantises (luckily, they aren't hard battles though). I honestly had no clue how to figure out which spot was the Fomantis was not looking at, so I just randomly picked them, only to learn afterward that they happened to be spots that the Fomanteses were eying on. For the last ingredient, you pick it up from one of the Sudowoodo-looking trees, but only one of them is not a real Sudowoodo. Otherwise, picking up the ingredient from one of the other trees will lead to a battle with a wild Sudowoodo while Mallow cooks her food. I tried to pick the Sudowoodo that looked the most different from the others, and it turned out to be the one that didn't lead to a wild Sudowoodo battle.

Ultra Recon Squad: You first fight them in Seaward Cave, during the part of the story where you need to bring back Nebby from Melemele meadows (in USUM, instead of heading to the top of the meadow, Nebby ends up in Seaward Cave). I was surprised to learn Dulse used a Furfrou against me... in a Beast Ball of all things. Don't normal Pokemon have really low catch rates if you try to use a Beast Ball against them? I guess just Dulse got really lucky then. Anyway, it was a surprisingly challenging fight. Furfrou was quite tanky at this point in the story and could deal some strong damage back, but I guess part of the reason why it was challenging for me was because I wasn't using the Hawlucha from earlier.

Your second battle with them takes place shortly after the Water trial as you are about to head into Route 6 after clearing the Sudowoodo out. It's there they first use Poipole against you. Luckily for me, Voltron made this battle a lot easier with its Steel-typing so that it could nullify those Poison attacks.

As for how they are in the story? They do appear relatively frequently, but when they do, they're mostly just... there. They act rather strange and don't show much character, but I guess it's because they are technically extraterrestrials who are learning about the Pokemon world for the first time. Since I have UltraSun, Dulse and Zossie are the two URS members I'm meeting during the course of the adventure. Of the two, I like Zossie the most since she shows more character than Dulse does. Perhaps my opinion will get better as the story continues, but we'll see.

Other bits: You can now access the upper floor in the Heahea Hotel. It is there you have your first encounter with Colress in one of its rooms, but he completely ignores if you try talking to him. There's also a strange even in another room where you walk into one of them and see a young woman talking with Bellosom and Comfey. The woman tells you to leave, and you head out. When you return, all three of them are gone, but you can pick up an item left behind.

There's also a more sidequests that you can do in each town/major city. Some of which will even give you good rewards. The Ditto side quest in Konikoni city gives you a total of about 48000 Pokedollars for completing it. The Dittos you fight during it also have 31 IVs in some stats, so they are great to catch if you plan on IV Breeding.

I was also shocked to learn that Looker shows up earlier in the game this time. Specifically, you first encounter upon arriving in Route 9 as you approach the police station. He indirectly references Cyrus and Ghetsis when he mentions (paraphrased), "It's a good thing Alola doesn't have baddies like those guys, though I heard reports about some mafia around here (the mafia being Team Skull)." He then gives you a Thunderstone before leaving. It's also worth mentioning that this is the first time since Platinum where your first encounter with Looker takes place prior to the postgame.

Regarding everything else, I'm enjoying UltraSun a lot. It is a more polished version of Sun/Moon after all, and I do like the changes such as the additional side quests that add to more world building regarding the region. The double battles are also much less choppy compared to Sun/Moon, and the graphics are good improvement as well with all the vibrant colors. I can't speak much for the story since it's mostly the same thus far, so I'll probably gain a better opinion of that the more I play the game.

D

Deleted member

Water-type trial: Much harder than the Totem Wishiwashi battle in Sun/Moon.
Good God, how in the ****?
Grass-type trial: I was horrified when I learned they changed the Ally Pokemon for the Totem Lurantis battle. Why? Because both Ally Pokemon, a Kecleon and a Comfey, know Sunny Day!
This is a Nuzlocker's worst wettest dream
Seaward Cave
USUM are now officially called Ultra Sadism and Ultra Masochism because the only way to make this more brutal would be by making it a Double Battle

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
>le me playing Pokémon
>1v1 my Primal Groudon vs their Arceus (Normal)
>Primal Groudon under Rock Polish, Arceus under Swords Dance
>Both at full health
>opponent: "gg scrub"
>Arceus uses Extreme speed. Nearly kills.
>Primal Groudon uses Precipice Blades
>crits to kill

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My Hinoka is getting bulky.

Can't wait for the Weapon Refinery to see what options I have for making her even bulkier. And other weapons will make her Atk and Spd better.

D

Deleted member

Surprisingly, Valkyria Chronicles runs well on my PC. No, scratch that, it actually runs at all, gameplay is smooth as hell even if I'm at 30 FPS and 800x480 resolution. Only problem is that cutscenes get choppy most of the time and the audio comes earlier than the video but I can live with that.
Thanks for ChikoLad ChikoLad for the recommendation and @CyberHyperPhoenix for telling me it's on PC so I can actually play it.

Haven't gotten far yet but I'm enjoying what I have seen so far.

D

Deleted member

No, not Town Watchman, not him! He had so much yet to live, he didn't deserve this!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
New MvC:I trailer for the next DLC:

Gotta be honest... not really feeling Bucky or Widow, maybe they're more fun to play than they look.

Venom looks fantastic, kinda glad they kept his original moveset. That voice is trash though.
Yeah, Venom just stole the show. It's good to see his MvC2 moveset back as it was always a lot of fun to mess around with, the little tweaks they add to it also look good, and his design translated well into the game. As a character, I'm very happy with how he turned out and I'm hoping he'll play just as good as he looks when I'm able to get him. As for his voice, I can kind of see what they're going for as it has that sadistic tone that would fit the symbiote, but the problem is that the character is also known for his deeper tone. He's supposed to be Brock and the Symbiote speaking with each other and the former is not having his voice heard with the current direction. Adding to that, the majority (if not all) of his voices have kept the deeper register consistent since his early appearances such as the Fox Spider-Man cartoon, so it doesn't help that this one stands out like that since it makes the difference in tone all the more jarring.

With the other two, I agree they don't stand out much based on how they look in the trailer. Using the sturdiness of the bionic arm for Bucky and the batons and other tools for Black Widow are good ideas, but they didn't pop out from the rest of the cast or the DLC characters. With that said, they could play much better then they look in trailers, so hopefully once we get our hands on them they'll start to show their strengths.

The Nintendo eShop on all 3 consoles is having a holiday sale until December 11 in North America

Shameless plug: Buy Demon's Crest! Around $5.00 for the game's a steal and it'll be worth your time.

Not a bad list of games, if I have enough space I'll try to see if I can pick up Castlevania III and Star Fox 64 3D. Those are some of the games I've been meaning to try out for some time but never got the chance, so I'd like to use the opportunity to pick them up.

D

Deleted member

I got to the point where you get access to barracks in VC, built my squad but the game froze before I even had the chance to save it :/
No problem though, just gotta skip the dialogue and build it agai-- and the units you can choose are random. Thankfully, the pool of units that can appear seems small as most of the characters I had put in my first squad were also in the second selection. I only lost Nils and Hector and, tbh, I think they were the biggest losses.

I like the levelling system, since you level up classes instead of individual units, you don't have to worry if you want to switch party members between battles.

These characteristics are kinda neat though, basically skills that tell a bit of the character's personality. Most give buffs when in certain areas or near allies but others also give debuffs, obviously to balance units that have two buffing skills but for some reason there are units with nothing but two debuffing skills and I just wonder why. Do they have higher stats because of that or something? I don't care though, I picked mostly on design, like the guy with a bird on his portrait.
Also, there are skills called "Fancies Men/Women" which boosts accuracy when the unit is near an ally of that gender. What this means is that bisexuals just need to stand near any ally to get the boost because they have both of them so, basically, bisexuals are top tier.
Too bad I only have one of them

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I finally beat KH Birth By Sleep today.
Overall I had a lot of fun with the game. I enjoyed the 3 PoV style narrative and I like that you got to play as 3 different characters.
On the other hand, I didn't like how short most of the worlds felt, but I guess it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that you visit them 3 times and having each visit be unique
Also, is it just me or is the location of the Secret Episode a better final world than the Keyblade Graveyard?

And now it appears that I will be taking a break from KH for the time being to play through The World Ends With You.
Should be pretty fun.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Splatoon s tumblr revealed a new band called Ink Theroy
WE GOT SAMPLES

These new bands feel like much better of variety than the old ones, TBH. Squid Squad, Chirpy Chips and Hightide Era blurred together a bit, but while Wet Floor feels very similar to those three you'd have a hard time confusing Bottom Feeders and Ink Theory for any of them or each other.

Celtic Rock and NPR Jazz, who could have even called that?? And it's all so good, too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom