• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Speaks about Brawl's Delay (Kinda)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hi, incidentally. I'm Martin. I promise not to make silly topics or ask what wavedashing is.
Hooray!

And Blackadder i don't see why it would delay the game any more.
They'll still find a way though. I mean, it took Animal Crossing on Gamecube 2 years to get "translated" to Aus (during which time everyone assumed it was being localised (so we get summer in December and winter in July. It wasn't so we get US weather) , and then ANOTHER year for it to reach the UK.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Well one thing's for sure, Smash Bros. Perfection Program sounds way better than a delay. Nice interview by the way. Seemed very...interesting.

Thrull

Smash Cadet
Here's my hunch on the subject...

I think they're working on a competitive online mode with some kind of official ranking/ladder system.

For online play to work competitively it has to play really well, which would require extra development time to tweak the network code, and change it from a fun novelty to something that connects serious players to a community they didn't have access to before. I think this would be the most significant "new mode" they could add.

Smash Ace
Hmmm... the coolest reasons for delay would be if the original plans were to drop Dr. Mario and Roy, but they dropped Marth instead.
Oh, and if they upped the online system.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
This could be the last SSB because Mr. Sakurai doesnt like to do the same game over and over thats why he left Hal and made Sora LTD. I really doubt anyone but Sakurai could make a great SSB game. I would be suprised if they did another SSB for the next Nintendo console. Plus he said he wants us to enjoy this game for years to come. Hint hint he might not do another one. If he doesnt Im hoping they dont make another one without him.
dude, how do you not understand this? unless the t-virus breaks out in nintendo's hqs all over the world and no one with programming experience manages to get the company back under control there will ALWAYS be smash bros. it has made them so much money it is an utterly absurd idea to suggest otherwise. if sakurai doesn't make it, miyamoto will. if he won't, the countless other people who gave us melee will take over. stopping smash will lose them a legion of fans, and not at least replacing it with something decent will lose everyone on this forum to halo or some other gore-based crap. THAT IS MY OPINION, NOBODY EVEN THINK OF GETTING ALL :mad: ON ME FOR THAT!!!

seriously dude, any thinking otherwise and we have no hope. cut the pessimism.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
So what's the real reason then?

:ohwell:
sorry for the double quote, don't know how to edit my initial post by adding a quote to it. but since ur a mod u probly know... anyway, consider my proposed possibility of a bug found last-minute and having to bail on the release date to fix it. something big, like an intangable part of a stage that needed correction. i don't see anyone raising problems with it...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I partly agree and disagree. If you know you aren't going to make it, don't give it. On the other hand, if you realise that hey, you've got some bugs that still need ironing out, and if in that time you can squeeze a little something else in, I'd go for it, even if it means delaying it for a bit longer.

I totally agree, but that's the fault of Nintendo Aus and NOE. I hate Nin Aus with a passion.

Incidently, if you haven't already, check out this and then this. Interesting if disapointing read.
Ya, if it's bugs and balance it should be delayed. Actually, i'm optimstic of the delay, because they would have had 3 years to have worked on the game. OOT got delayed over two years, and it turned out d*** good. TP got delayed 2 1/2 years, and it was FRIGGEN PWNAGE! So delays can be good, because perfectionism is needed to create legendary games. It's just i like Kojima's policies better, obviously. When I saw the E3 2007 MGS4 trailer (best trailer EVER...Raiden vs. Vamp ftw), when it said "Released 2008 Similataniously", I was like "woaw, they should do that with Brawl".

Ya, I guess you're right about that. That statement from the President of Nintendo of Europe said that Sonic in Brawl "was not on their plate at the moment." Bull s***, that's when he got added, and SEGA and Nintendo probably were making deals before that time. If anything, NOE and Nintendo of Australia have little influence and power .I mean c'mon, Australia is geographically closer to Japan then North America. No excuses for that. And at least Britain should get Brawl at the same time.

After reading that article, it is very clear Nintendo of Australia fails. That sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if you got Brawl in 2009 at that rate Mic, sadly. Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong (I like it when I'm dead wrong! :laugh:).

If Sakurai was to let's say delay Brawl another month to bring the game out similatenously worldwide, I honestly would be more optimistic. I can wait, seeing as how Europe and Australia keep getting screwed over. Especially the later. I still don't get how Reggie doesn't push Sakurai more to release Brawl in North America at the same time as Japan. That doesn't make sense to me, as he's driven the release date thing the whole time. I find that to be quite odd, actually, seeing as he's controlled the whole release date deal up until 6 days ago, or so.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
what REALLY sucks is that they can't begin producing the units for sale until after everything is worked out (clearly) so I mean, any delay that comes close to the realease date, excluding a delay FOR producing more units, would really push the date back.

Personally, I'd love it if they could perfect SSB:B... but that would take far too long. I'll settle for excellence to get the game in a reasonable time frame

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I always assumed the delay might have to do both with online, and not wanting two huge releases out during the holidays(Galaxy and Brawl). Here's to hoping for nice, smooth playing in online Brawl and some awesome online features(like maybe ranking hopefully?)

I really don't think they'll be adding extra characters. That would give them four months to design(make moves for, etc),model, rig, animate, balance, and add the new character's own special stages and screens. Refining existing characters, yes. Making new ones? No way.

LeoEmpire

Smash Rookie
After playing a bit today, here's what I hope they're doing:

- Adding loading screens before the match starts (sometimes it takes a pretty long time)
- Removing non essential background activity to online matches (like the original game's practice mode) to help prevent lag issues. Honestly, while I was playing I didn't pay any attention to what was going on in the background.

I'm actually a lot less worried about balance after playing the demo. It doesn't seem like much of an issue, even with the final smashes.

Oh hi, I'm new by the way.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
WN: Does this have anything to do with online play?

PK: Next question.

WN: Does this have anything to do with online play?

PK: No, a different question.

WN: Those are the next five questions.
LOL this is full of win :p had me lol'n for a few too............ good stuff :) I trust Nintendo and i can wait, with halo 3 and galaxy and DBZ BT3 ONLINE!!!!! I have no problem with perfection time.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's a selling technique, they have you think that something is REEAAALLLYY special, but then dissapoint you after you buy it.

maximus

Smash Apprentice
I think the causal truth we all need to face is that Nintendo is one mean green money making machine... They pulled this same trick on us with Twilight Princess, just to a greater extent.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Was Twilight Princess suppose to just be released on the gamecube? Or even if it were, they obviously didn't want to exclude it's released on the Wii or its debut on the Wii nonetheless.

maximus

Smash Apprentice
Precisely; they delayed the game so long that it ended up being a Wii launch title, which would ensure more sales than it just being the second (well, third if you count Master Quest) Zelda game on the Gamecube, especially an additional Zelda game on a system on it's way out... I may just be speculating, but their motivation seems to be...delay= more $ales.

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
Was Twilight Princess suppose to just be released on the gamecube? Or even if it were, they obviously didn't want to exclude it's released on the Wii or its debut on the Wii nonetheless.
Yeah it was supposed to be a Gamecube title (hence why the graphics weren't updated for the Wii one), but I think they wanted it to be a Wii launch title so they delayed it. It's something like this, though I know I'm wrong somewhere.

MagnuM

Smash Ace
OMG would you people stop complaining about the delay? This is a game that you will be playing for years, just like Melee (over 6 years). I was actually hoping for a longer delay, because I suspected their gameplan was far too large in scope for them to complete in such a short amount of time. Think about it, every single character will need a storyline in the SSE, each character needs a Break the Targets, etc. They mentioned they don't want clones like they were forced to do in Melee, which was delayed slightly after the GameCube launch, but rushed for holiday release. Think about how much better Melee could have been had it been given two more months of balancing and clone elimination and etc. My guess is that they want to perfect online play, because there was so much complaining about how half-***** it seemed, and for once, the complaining seems justifiable. Waiting a few more months isn't going to kill you. Your future self will thank you...

The Trooper

Smash Rookie
no worries

I really don't see the use in complaining about the delay myself, and for several reasons:

1) No matter what the "real" reason for the delay is, you're about 99% guaranteed to get a better game as a result.

2) Anticipation makes it that much better when you do finally get your hands on it.

3) Melee is still a s***load of fun, and should easily give your fix for those extra couple of months...if not, there are other games on the Holiday lineup (Mario Galaxy, M&S Olympics).

And besides that, it's not that long of a delay, especially compared to others. Seriously...do you have ANY idea how long I've been waiting for Chinese Democracy :psycho:? Compared to over 10 years, 2 months is nothing.

Oh yeah, another new guy buy the way. Howdy.

Top Bottom