• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo NX Idiocy

Agree?

• Yes this is stupid!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No (please explain)

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Ok, no matter how big of a Nintendo fan you are you have to admit this is idiotic business practice.

So you know of the Nintendo NX, right? Nintendo's newest system coming March 2017. But Nintendo is making ALL the wrong decisions here. Making the system come out on March 2017 is fine, so what could go wrong you could ask?

Well...

1. Nintendo isn't even talking about the Nintendo NX this E3. Instead it's going to focus on Zelda Wii U. Not only are they missing one of the biggest opportunities to show off the NX but are also only talking about ONE game on E3. E3 is a time where we talk about new games which were announced or new information about other games we already new about. Not just information on ONE game we already know about. Also, I understand that Nintendo has made single game directs before, but none have taken up the E3 spot. The Smash DLC one in 2015 came before E3 but it still didn't replace the rest of their plans.

2. They announced it on Twitter...TWITTER! Not a direct, not a trailer (and god knows not E3) but Twitter! Not many people even know the NX even exist.

3. Zelda Wii U is also a launch title for the NX. That's pretty cool, but not for sales. For those who already have a Wii U and want the new Zelda game might not even bother with the NX. The only reason they'd get it is either because they want a better visual experience or just to support Nintendo. They better have some great games under their belt besides just Zelda.

4. Nintendo's repeating the same mistakes as the Wii U. Little to no Marketing, barely talking about the thing, coming out only a few years before the next Playstation or Xbox systems are announced.

I'm sensing an even worse repeat of the Wii U or even...the SEGA Saturn. You can say "Ermahgerd you're just a hater Nintendo has enough money to survive for years!!1!" But Nintendo's been losing money for years, most people and game developers don't even take them seriously any more, Amiibos aren't even the best selling toy-to-play figures (which would be Disney Infinity) Nintendo lost millions of dollars on both 2013 & 2014, Little to no third party support, most hardcore fans leaving during he time of the Wii, Nintendo Creator Program, No longer in the list of the 100 most recognizable brands, ect. You can shout "Other companies made mistakes to! Sony tried to Trademark Let's Play" Yeah other companies make mistakes. But does that mean we should ignore a single companies faults because "Other companies make mistakes" No, a company losing money, no matter successful they are, is still a company losing money.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I really don't agree with the no showing at E3 either. Even if you have a chance of getting overshadowed, it's a great opportunity to still present and start marketing your console and games. However, the no show and the March date also means they're not comfortable with showing anything yet. So NX's looks and features still aren't probably finalized so they're hesitant. About the one game thing, I think someone clarified that they meant their one Wii U game (while possibly bringing 3DS stuff still). Either way, it's a really odd decision. While they don't have a lot of games in development for Wii U on the remainder of the year, there's still stuff like Paper Mario. Might as well show it there too.

I'd like to think official marketing is being put on hold right now and they'll start end of summer. With the new President of Nintendo who's actually one of the old marketing members during GC and Wii days iirc, I'm hoping he has something big planned. They're just trying to sort everything in order.

While missing the boat on E3 and the holiday season, I really do hope they have something in order. From what I heard, there's going to be an actual event dedicated for the NX stuff, so we'll see (sort of like how Sony has their own thing in the Fall).

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
E3 isn't nearly a big a deal as people think it is now a days. Activision, Rockstar, and now EA don't have a presence there at all. Also considering the fact it's likely both Sony and Microsoft will be showing off the new versions of the PS4 and Xbone, it makes sense (and is a solid move IMO) that Nintendo would be hesitant to show off new hardware at an E3 that's already going to be stacked with new hardware.

I also highly doubt Nintendo is only going to talk about Zelda at E3. It makes sense to give it top billing (Because it's FREAKING ZELDA!) but they have to at least talk about Pokemon Sun and Moon, some new stuff for Splatoon, some partners they have lined up for NX etc. It might seem like a strange move but I wouldn't worry about anything yet.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I don't know, Nintendo seems to be so lost right now. They started targeting the younger/more casual audience and it really impacts the quality of the games. There are barely any real real good games, and I personally see no reason to purchase one, except maybe for Sm4sh.

There is almost zero marketing, no good quality third party stuff, and they are so stubborn about it. They even stampeded on Sm4sh with the party game thing and custom moves for every characters which barely anyone use. I have no idea what they are thinking and this is not a good thing. I feel like the video game industry regressed back to the magazine era, where players buys games that have good ratings, hence good games, instead of the new thing, because they know there is a lot of garbage on the shelves. And it is hurting Nintendo really really hard.

I mean, they ruined my Mystery Dungeon, I cannot forgive that.

--------------

But back on the subject, I really don't feel like buying the NX, at all. And this is the first time it happens to me concerning Nintendo consoles. I hope it does well tho.

C3CC

Smash Lord
... But how can someone say they won't be buying the NX...

... if they haven't even seen it yet?

Seriously guys, it hasn't been a freaking week since they announced the release month of the console. Calm down. Give them time. I want to believe that this time they actually know what they're doing, and hell they'd better be because they have to know that if they don't make up for the mess that was the Wii U they're screwed. I have the feeling that they want to do something different this time around (first console in over a decade to not release near Holiday season should say something).

Have faith, guys. And if not, well Smash will look great in the PS4's amazing graphics LOL

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
There's literally no reason for them not to show anything NX. It's the last big event of it's kind before it's release, right?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
1. Nintendo isn't even talking about the Nintendo NX this E3. Instead it's going to focus on Zelda Wii U. Not only are they missing one of the biggest opportunities to show off the NX but are also only talking about ONE game on E3. E3 is a time where we talk about new games which were announced or new information about other games we already new about. Not just information on ONE game we already know about. Also, I understand that Nintendo has made single game directs before, but none have taken up the E3 spot. The Smash DLC one in 2015 came before E3 but it still didn't replace the rest of their plans.
I have never really followed E3 before, so I honestly don't know how huge it really is. All I know it's an event where everyone gathers to discuss new games and/or consoles, as well as showing off said new games and/or consoles. I do find it strange that they wouldn't do this; however maybe they're keeping it as a surprise? Again, I don't really know how E3 works but perhaps they do have some surprise announcements nobody knows about yet. I will agree it will be a missed opportunity if they choose not to show off the NX.

On top of that, with them doing Directs so much now I'm sure we'll get a Direct at some point about it. We still have about a year to go before it's released and I doubt they'll stay quiet about it forever. They may just be waiting for the right time and we're just being impatient.

2. They announced it on Twitter...TWITTER! Not a direct, not a trailer (and god knows not E3) but Twitter! Not many people even know the NX even exist.
To be fair, Social Media is becoming vastly popular and is being used as a means to advertise things nowadays.

Social Medias are also becoming more connected to other Social Medias and things can get spread around like wildfire. Almost everyone uses them these days, and you have to keep in mind there's "Share" functions too. They can pretty much rely on us to spread it around for them. It's a little lazy but it can be effective, and of course it can't beat actual advertisements or trailers.

3. Zelda Wii U is also a launch title for the NX. That's pretty cool, but not for sales. For those who already have a Wii U and want the new Zelda game might not even bother with the NX. The only reason they'd get it is either because they want a better visual experience or just to support Nintendo. They better have some great games under their belt besides just Zelda.
I highly doubt that.

Again, it's going to be another year before the NX will be released. There are rumors of ports of certain games going around that may or may not be true; however the point is they still have time to announce other games that will make people hyped enough to get it. Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they won't. While it's wise to wait till the last moment/a few moments before release I am unsure, but they still have time to pull out some big surprises out of no where. Besides, people have claimed the Wii U as dead.

I've heard tons of people call it a dead system and make complaints that there are any games on it. It seems like most of the games that could have been on it went straight to the 3DS. Splatoon sold beyond well in terms of sales for the Wii U, and I'm sure Smash would of done the same if it were released just for the Wii U. A lot of the games that were made for the 3DS probably could of helped the Wii Us life span quite a bit, but sadly they just didn't focus on it enough. The NX could be entirely different, who knows?

Unless they still plan to solely focus on the 3DS I doubt the NX will have to share any games like the Wii U did.

If it doesn't have to share any games then it would mean more games and sales for it. Chances are people will outright abandon the Wii U as well once it comes out, cause again there have been many complaints that it's already "Dead". People just didn't like it.

Now that could mean people will be reluctant to buy the NX, but it also doesn't mean people will gladly stick to the Wii U either.

4. Nintendo's repeating the same mistakes as the Wii U. Little to no Marketing, barely talking about the thing, coming out only a few years before the next Playstation or Xbox systems are announced.
Looking back to one of my previous points, in my opinion I think the 3DS played a part in the Wii U failing as well.

It had to share so many potential games with the 3DS to the point it barely had any. They even released Hyrule Warriors Legends on the 3DS when it was clearly better suited for the Wii U. There could of been many games that probably would have saved it if given the chance. Little to no marketing also plays an obvious part though, but again they could be saving potential surprises for later.

It sounds like they damaged our faith so much with the Wii U we can't really trust what they're going to do with the NX.

We have to be patient and stop being so quick to judge because we haven't gotten much information on it. Again I'm not sure if it's wise to wait till the very last moment or if it's really okay to do what they're doing to it, but we all just need to relax. As you pointed out within your own post all companies make mistakes. Nintendo shouldn't be excused, but like any other company they aren't perfect either.

I think a lot of people are just starting to become a little greedy and have expectations that are a little too high.

Relax guys. We won't know the outcome of things until it happens, and there's plenty of time before then to turn things around.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Them not showing the NX at E3 really doesn't matter much. They are gonna have a specific direct ready when they have more things to show rather than doing a premature showing that's underwhelming. Nintendo Directs always get a ton of views even when doing normal game ones, so there is no doubt that the NX Direct is going to gain a lot of viewership, just like how Sony and Microsoft showed their new consoles back in 2013.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
that's the problem rofl
Patience does wonders.

We don't know what they're planning after all, and as I stated in my previous post they could still have dozens of surprises left to share. Who knows, they might do a Direct entirely focusing on the NX and the games that they have lined up for it that are currently in the works or will be released along with the system like Zelda U/NX. Everyone just needs to calm down a little bit and take a deep breath.

Waiting sucks, but there's literally nothing we can do about it.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Them not showing the NX at E3 really doesn't matter much. They are gonna have a specific direct ready when they have more things to show rather than doing a premature showing that's underwhelming. Nintendo Directs always get a ton of views even when doing normal game ones, so there is no doubt that the NX Direct is going to gain a lot of viewership, just like how Sony and Microsoft showed their new consoles back in 2013.
This so much, and people also tend to forget a console's success is determined by games, and lets not kid ourselves, there was not alot of selection in the first 2 years of the WiiU, which imo is one of the more major reasons the WiiU never took off.

The NX will already have a new Zelda in its first year and I'm very confident that Nintendo atleast will announce a new 3D Mario at next years E3, so that they also have another major Holiday title ready for 2017

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Games coming out at launch =/= Shouldn't be announced at E3. Again, if they have not much at all to show, they can't possibly fluff it with Paper Mario, Zelda, and some new stuff sprinkled in there unless they drag it - and I don't want that to happen. I will say this again, there is no business disadvantage to revealing the NX at E3.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I wouldn't put too much hope on Paper Mario Color Splash. The game already looks like Sticker Star 2, hence it's going to suck. I'm probably wrong though. I hope there are other games available for this Holiday season.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I wouldn't put too much hope on Paper Mario Color Splash. The game already looks like Sticker Star 2, hence it's going to suck. I'm probably wrong though. I hope there are other games available for this Holiday season.
That's such a pessimistic viewpoint, item-based Paper Mario gameplay could work right if it's done well. Plus, it looks gorgeous.

C3CC

Smash Lord
That's such a pessimistic viewpoint, item-based Paper Mario gameplay could work right if it's done well. Plus, it looks gorgeous.
It does look gorgeous, I'll give it that. And maybe you're right, but it's definitely not what people are expecting (and desperately asking for). What everyone wants is a proper sequel to the amazing The Thousand-Year Door that does it justice.

Stu R

Smash Cadet
But Nintendo's been losing money for years, most people and game developers don't even take them seriously any more,
That is a FLAT lie. If people didn't take Nintendo seriously then how would places like Smashboards exist? How would Mario and Zelda and Starfox be so iconic? Many things we take for granted in the gaming universe derive from Nintendo and nether you nor developers can deny that. Thous punks at school say Nintendo sucks because it doesn't have the gore to satisfy their blood lust, that is undoubtedly where you drew your conclusion. Whether the NX exists or not, the above statement was extremely uncalled for and I have been deeply offended. The characters and the company I have grown up loving will remain the most iconic, and you will remain, as you say, a hater.

Last edited:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
First off, I had no idea the NX was coming out next march.

Second, I can't believe they're only talking about one game at E3. Like, the biggest gaming convention in the history of ever, here.

I mean, maybe they're announcing new things for later on and they're just waiting for E3, but if they're not, their showcase at this year might just be worse than last year's.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I mean, maybe they're announcing new things for later on and they're just waiting for E3, but if they're not, their showcase at this year might just be worse than last year's.
Well, to my knowledge, they've not been too successful regarding E3 - off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the best of them were Twilight Princess's E3, 2013's, 2014's and the one where they revealed the Wii/DS (were those the same?). Everything else has been "meh" to god-awful (shoutouts to Wii Music).

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'll buy the NX when the next smash game is released. I don't care about it until then.

But what they're doing right now... doesn't look great. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until E3 to judge them fully.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nintendo's not revealing the NX directly at E3 to avoid the massive amount of misinformation the media created with the Wii U.

There's a pretty decent chance Nintendo's going to unveil the NX properly around when E3 comes, honestly. They're just not showing it at E3 so they have 100% control over the information on the NX.

Only hardcores like ourselves care about E3. Most people don't even know what it is. E3 doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hm... from the sounds of it recently, there might not even be a Direct. There's just going to be the Treehouse stream of Zelda.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Hm... from the sounds of it recently, there might not even be a Direct. There's just going to be the Treehouse stream of Zelda.
Sounds like your right. A little quote from the website posted just a few hours ago:

"Nintendo’s kickoff to the E3 show happens at 9 a.m. PT Tuesday, June 14, when Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime introduces Nintendo Treehouse: Live, which will be dedicated to a day of live-streamed gameplay of The Legend of Zelda. This will be the world’s first in-depth look at the game, which will also include commentaries by Nintendo developers. The Legend of Zelda gameplay will be streamed from the E3 show floor via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on http://e3.nintendo.com. The stream will include game coverage, behind-the-scenes info and plenty of fun."

ElectroLightning

Banned via Warnings
NNID
kultava

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
There would have to be a direct at some point around that time anyway, though, just to update their release schedule for the second half of the year; after all, all of their games given release dates during the last direct were essentially only up to...well, E3 time. It's a digital event. If they've decided this year they don't see any need to work under that promotion schedule, then so be it.

What I'm reading from this is that they're scaling back the treehouse stream to a single day, and as such, just the one game. Makes sense, given what Treehouse was actually meant to do there (compile extended consumer data, clarify game mechanics and address initial impressions streamers had to the announcements in the Direct and made their stream schedule accordingly, and if needed damage control such as with a good amount of last year).

Top Bottom