• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo News - Happy New Year Edition

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Welcome to Nintendo News! Every weekend, Smashboards will compile the noteworthy Nintendo related news bits from the week and put them together into one handy article! This week's Nintendo News is for the week of December 29th, 2014 to Januray 3rd, 2015.

Pokemon Pinball : Ruby and Sapphire now on Wii U eShop

Every since they were young trainers, they played the silver ball. From Kanto onto Kalos, they gotta catch 'em all! The Gameboy Advanced game has made it's way onto the Nintendo Wii U eShop. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire combines fast paced pinball action with a unique Pokemon twist. Use the pinball flippers to shoot Poke Balls at wild Pokemon on a quest to catch them all! Now available on the Wii U eShop for $7.99 US.

Giant Bomb awards the Wii U with the "Best Console Exclusives" Award

As part of their Game of the Year awards recap, gaming website Giant Bomb awarded Nintendo's Wii U with the "Best Console Exclusives" Award for the console that has the best games exclusively on their system. Giant Bomb stated that excellent games such as Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker are all reasons to pick up a Wii U over the competitors. Congratulations to Nintendo and the Wii U.
Full article available here.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse amiibo functionality revealed

Wii U exclusive Kirby and the Rainbow Curse's amiibo functionality has been revealed in a cute little trailer from Nintendo Japan. Not surprisingly, the Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede amiibos will all be functional with the game. Each character grants the player a useful in game bonus, but they can only be used once a day. Kirby grants the player unlimited Star Dash power, Meta Knight provides an attack damage bonus with the Meta Knight Mask item and King Dedede increases the player's maximum hitpoints with a defence bonus. The trailer can be viewed here, although it is in Japanese.

PSA: Club Nintendo Smash Bros Soundtrack offer ends on January 13th, 2015

Just a warning for anyone who wanted to get the free Super Smash Bros Sountrack from Club Nintendo, the promotion ends next Saturday. Players who register both a copy of Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Super Smash Bros for Wii U are eligible to receive a free two disc soundtrack featuring songs from both games. For more information on the promotion, check out the Super Smash Bros Soundtrack page on Club Nintendo.

That concludes this week's and first ever edition of Nintendo News. If you have any suggestions or improvements for future editions, please let us know in the comments section.

Until next week, Nintendo fans.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and can't wait for his Smash Soundtrack CD to arrive. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
They should make a Bandanna Dee Amiibo. Better yet, just put him in Smash.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I just noticed the icons in the logo are in alphabetical order. Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Earthbound...

As for the news, I knew everything, but I guess it is cool to have a way of reading Nintendo news if you don't read Nintendo news sites often like I do.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I just noticed the icons in the logo are in alphabetical order. Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Earthbound...

As for the news, I knew everything, but I guess it is cool to have a way of reading Nintendo news if you don't read Nintendo news sites often like I do.
Yeah! didnt even know about the Soundtrack offer. Good job SmashBoards

Seal

Smash Journeyman
How many NN articles have there been? I'd like to go read them, because this was really well done.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Too late asking for newcomers, just saying.
I know, I know. It's kinda funny when you think about it. Sakurai ignored his first-born to take care of his newborn. Bandanna Dee would've been a perfect newcomer. Oh well. Maybe 2022 or some **** like that.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I know, I know. It's kinda funny when you think about it. Sakurai ignored his first-born to take care of his newborn. Bandanna Dee would've been a perfect newcomer. Oh well. Maybe 2022 or some **** like that.
I guess. It would be a fourth kirby character to add to the roster completing the collection and theme of kirbys return to dreamland. On the opposite direction, some could argue that's too many kirby characters.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
The day I see news for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem , I can go on with life a happy man.
Plz Nintendo....I beg of you...newz plz....

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I guess. It would be a fourth kirby character to add to the roster completing the collection and theme of kirbys return to dreamland. On the opposite direction, some could argue that's too many kirby characters.
Kirby is Nintendo's fourth most popular franchise, I seriously think that's enough. If Mario can get all of its main characters and then some, Zelda gets its two heroes, villain, alter-ego, and a clone, and Pokémon can get ****ing six reps, I think it's only fair that Kirby would complete its main characters. Hell, even Star Fox gets it's 3 most important characters. Kirby is pretty underrepresented here. Stage wise too. Oh well. At least it isn't like Dr. Mario, who doesn't even get his own series represented and just crashes with Mario.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Kirby is Nintendo's fourth most popular franchise, I seriously think that's enough. If Mario can get all of its main characters and then some, Zelda gets its two heroes, villain, alter-ego, and a clone, and Pokémon can get ****ing six reps, I think it's only fair that Kirby would complete its main characters. Hell, even Star Fox gets it's 3 most important characters. Kirby is pretty underrepresented here. Stage wise too. Oh well. At least it isn't like Dr. Mario, who doesn't even get his own series represented and just crashes with Mario.
Well in this iteration of Smash Bros., there's only 2 Star Fox characters, and no way I'm seeing Wolf as DLC.Now that I'd think about it, Bandanna Dee has only appeared in 1 game as a playable character, while Meta Knight has been playable in more than 1 game, Dedede being the main antagonist of almost every Kirby game (or....friendenime?) and Kirby's obviously the main character. The ladder 3 are all popular and well known and have been in smash, or were originally going to go in Smash, since Melee. I seriously don't see Bandanna Dee getting a chance if he ever somehow got one.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well in this iteration of Smash Bros., there's only 2 Star Fox characters, and no way I'm seeing Wolf as DLC.Now that I'd think about it, Bandanna Dee has only appeared in 1 game as a playable character, while Meta Knight has been playable in more than 1 game, Dedede being the main antagonist of almost every Kirby game (or....friendenime?) and Kirby's obviously the main character. The ladder 3 are all popular and well known and have been in smash, or were originally going to go in Smash, since Melee. I seriously don't see Bandanna Dee getting a chance if he ever somehow got one.
A lot of people bring that up but it's never a good argument. Bandanna Dee has been a recurring character ever since Super Star. He's even appeared in Triple Deluxe, where as Meta Knight only had a cameo. And there's actually a large amount of games where Dedede isn't the villain. The Dark Matter saga, Return, Triple Deluxe. Bandanna has actually appeared in 7 total Kirby games (8 if you count Rainbow Curse) of a total of 23 (or 24) games, which is the most appearances of any Kirby character that's not the main three or some form of Dark Matter. HAL and Sakurai have all officially acknowledged BD as a main character that's just as relevant as the main three. Rosalina was rarely playable in the games she appeared in, yet she's in. Bowser Jr. is only playable in sports games, but he's here. Zelda, Sheik, and Ganon haven't been playable till Hyrule Warriors, yet they're veterans. If another Kirby rep was considered, it would without a shadow of a doubt be Bandanna Dee. Dark Matter has no definite form, and who else would you pick? Magolor? Daroach? Galactica Knight? They've all only appeared twice. And never playable.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well in this iteration of Smash Bros., there's only 2 Star Fox characters, and no way I'm seeing Wolf as DLC.
Why? Star Fox is getting a new game this year and Wolf is now highly requested for DLC. Plus after reading Sakurai's recent interviews, it makes no sense why Wolf was even cut in the first place. The only logical reason is time constraints, which can be rectified with DLC.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
A lot of people bring that up but it's never a good argument. Bandanna Dee has been a recurring character ever since Super Star. He's even appeared in Triple Deluxe, where as Meta Knight only had a cameo. And there's actually a large amount of games where Dedede isn't the villain. The Dark Matter saga, Return, Triple Deluxe. Bandanna has actually appeared in 7 total Kirby games (8 if you count Rainbow Curse) of a total of 23 (or 24) games, which is the most appearances of any Kirby character that's not the main three or some form of Dark Matter. HAL and Sakurai have all officially acknowledged BD as a main character that's just as relevant as the main three. Rosalina was rarely playable in the games she appeared in, yet she's in. Bowser Jr. is only playable in sports games, but he's here. Zelda, Sheik, and Ganon haven't been playable till Hyrule Warriors, yet they're veterans. If another Kirby rep was considered, it would without a shadow of a doubt be Bandanna Dee. Dark Matter has no definite form, and who else would you pick? Magolor? Daroach? Galactica Knight? They've all only appeared twice. And never playable.
Man, all these words for the support of Bandanna Dee.

I mean we'll eventually see in the future. If bandanna dee gets a character slot from the next DLC, then f**k me for not believing that. Though, you're the first and only person who wants this character that would be a decent newcomer for smash. But I still don't see it happening. I mean show me or tag me other people who want Bandanna Dee in smash. Not saying it's a lame idea, since that would probably be the best 4th option for a kirby character, but I never, EVER saw anyone else ask for this.

Why? Star Fox is getting a new game this year and Wolf is now highly requested for DLC. Plus after reading Sakurai's recent interviews, it makes no sense why Wolf was even cut in the first place. The only logical reason is time constraints, which can be rectified with DLC.
Maybe? I mean, Mewtwo was asked for 10x as much as wolf did, and he got the surprise DLC we all wished for. I mean if we have DLC to get the most asked characters post-release of smash WiiU, you might as well ask for Lucas, Snake, Ice Climbers, maybe a completley better Pichu than Melee Pichu as well (not like that last part is going to happen).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Man, all these words for the support of Bandanna Dee.

I mean we'll eventually see in the future. If bandanna dee gets a character slot from the next DLC, then f**k me for not believing that. Though, you're the first and only person who wants this character that would be a decent newcomer for smash. But I still don't see it happening. I mean show me or tag me other people who want Bandanna Dee in smash. Not saying it's a lame idea, since that would probably be the best 4th option for a kirby character, but I never, EVER saw anyone else ask for this.

Maybe? I mean, Mewtwo was asked for 10x as much as wolf did, and he got the surprise DLC we all wished for. I mean if we have DLC to get the most asked characters post-release of smash WiiU, you might as well ask for Lucas, Snake, Ice Climbers, maybe a completley better Pichu than Melee Pichu as well (not like that last part is going to happen).
Bandana Dee should just be in smash 4 now.
@ WinterShorts WinterShorts There you go.
My friend, there is an ENTIRE thread made for the support of Bandanna Dee that has at least 1000 (give or take) supporters. It's in the character discussion board.
Didn't Sakurai say that after Mewtwo there would be no more DLC? I kinda hope I'm wrong, but I think I remember hearing that.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
My friend, there is an ENTIRE thread made for the support of Bandanna Dee that has at least 1000 (give or take) supporters. It's in the character discussion board.
Didn't Sakurai say that after Mewtwo there would be no more DLC? I kinda hope I'm wrong, but I think I remember hearing that.
Well then in that case, Bandanna Dee for Smash 4!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The only news I'm interested in hearing is details about Zelda Wii U and Star Fox. That's about it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
He just said they don't have more DLC after Mewtwo at the moment, maybe now they're working on more.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Can't forget the Ice Grabbers Climbers and Snake!
The Chain Grabbers Ice Climbers can't happen because of 3DS limitations and Grenade Spammer Snake can't happen because of issues between Konami and Nintendo.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
This discussion has been derailed... Bandanna Dee for Smash!

Top Bottom