• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo, How not to screw up the NX's Launch

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Personally I think the NX will be digital download only, which will make it easier for 3rd parties, but sadly Nintendo is going to do what they have done best since E3 2008 and screw it up

finalark

SNORLAX
Personally I think the NX will be digital download only, which will make it easier for 3rd parties, but sadly Nintendo is going to do what they have done best since E3 2008 and screw it up
Digital only is a bad idea and I really hope Nintendo doesn't go that route.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Digital only is a bad idea and I really hope Nintendo doesn't go that route.
It's a great idea for outside developers, but not for the consumers. Paying for all that extra storage, no thank you.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well Nintendo can make it work, by giving the console a lot of internal memory to make upfor it
Which'll probably drive up the price to a point they won't be comfortable in selling it at. They should just stick to discs.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Which'll probably drive up the price to a point they won't be comfortable in selling it at. They should just stick to discs.
Yeah, I rather have discs over downloading Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario 3D Land from the E-Store. Feels like there's more value in a physical product than a digital one.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From what I've been hearing NX is doomed

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah, I rather have discs over downloading Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario 3D Land from the E-Store. Feels like there's more value in a physical product than a digital one.
Plus the load times would be awful, especially knowing how Nintendo handles their online.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not to mention that if Nintendo ever shuts down NX support any games you don't have downloaded are basically gone forever.

Digital only has never worked for a reason. Except for with Steam, but IMO the only reason why they get away with it is because of their insane sales.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Not to mention that if Nintendo ever shuts down NX support any games you don't have downloaded are basically gone forever.

Digital only has never worked for a reason. Except for with Steam, but IMO the only reason why they get away with it is because of their insane sales.
True, but why would Nintendo go back to cartridges

finalark

SNORLAX
True, but why would Nintendo go back to cartridges
I know you're referring to the patent that was published a few months ago, and I want to point out that we have no idea if that thing is for the NX or not.

All we know is that it doesn't have a disc drive, uses cartridges for external data store (not to be confused with games, this is more akin to a memory card) and that connectivity and compatibility with a "controller with a touch screen" is also listed.

Right now it's looking like it might be a cheaper, slimmed down Wii U with exclusively digital options and some form of external stroage to accommodate large games.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I know you're referring to the patent that was published a few months ago, and I want to point out that we have no idea if that thing is for the NX or not.

All we know is that it doesn't have a disc drive, uses cartridges for external data store (not to be confused with games, this is more akin to a memory card) and that connectivity and compatibility with a "controller with a touch screen" is also listed.

Right now it's looking like it might be a cheaper, slimmed down Wii U with exclusively digital options and some form of external stroage to accommodate large games.
But Square Enix has already signed on, so it must be powerful

finalark

SNORLAX
Either way, I don't see the purpose of going back to cartridges if Nintendo does it
Well, yeah. That's also a bad idea. I don' think they're going to, though. I think the misinterpretation of that patent comes from clickbaity sites intentionally implying the returns of cartridges in their article titles in an attempt to pull some nostalgic heartstrings.

finalark

SNORLAX

Did nobody read this post?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Did nobody read this post?
Lol. What can I say at this point?

Anyway you make some great points, and it all seems to fit together really nicely. I'm almost convinced this is it now.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If the NX is a console and handheld like the patents and rumors suggest, then I will be there regardless of how good the launch lineup is.

But if the NX is only a home console, then I am only buying it in the first year(s), if the console is retro-compatible with my (digital) Wii U games. I don't really mind the fact the Wii U have only a few good games, because honestly I don't have money to buy many games for my three platforms, but I do mind the fact the Wii U is only 2.8 years old and is already in comatose. So if they want me to buy their next console in the release*, it will need to be retro-compatible. Also, a discount for Wii U owners would be good, too!

Now if the NX is a only handheld, then I am there day one as well, because even if the 3DS was overall not as great as the DS was, it still is one of Nintendo's best systems (only behind SNES and DS imo). I always had a great time with Nintendo handheld systems, so not buying the next one is unlikely to happen.

*I say "in the release" because I always buy their systems, even it might take a few years for that to happen.

But honestly, with the patents, the Dena thing and Nintendo now releasing some random games to to iOS/Android, I find it hard to believe that the NX isn't both a console and a handheld. And assuming it is, I am buying the NX handheld as soon as possible.

Top Bottom