• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Figurine Platform (NFP) Renamed "Amiibo" + Details

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Everyone had a favorite toy when they were younger, but could your toy duke it out with your best friend’s toy? Nintendo finally unveils amiibo – the toy with memory. Amiibo figures are smart in the sense that they can store and transfer information like a memory card, and are usable across many different titles. Watch the trailer for the amiibo here:

What is an amiibo?

Amiibos are small figurines that have the ability to hold, transfer, and update data, similar to that of Skylanders and Disney Infinity. Currently, there are fourteen different amiibo figures revealed: Mario, Peach, Link, Zelda, Samus, Pikachu, Villager, Donkey Kong, Wii Fit Trainer, Yoshi, Pit, Fox, Marth, and Kirby. These figures will have multiple uses among several different games for both the WiiU and the 3DS. For the WiiU, when you place the amiibo on the reader to the left of the Gamepad, it will be activated. As for amiibos on the 3DS, Nintendo says that there will be a stand and port released specifically for the 3DS so amiibo figures can be activated there as well.

Some of the first cast of amiibo figures.

How do amiibo figures work with Super Smash Bros?

As stated before, each amiibo has the ability to store, transfer, and update data. As far as Super Smash Bros for WiiU, amiibos, when placed on the Gamepad, will act as computer fighters. Amiibos can increase their level, as well as their attack, defense, and speed. The artificial intelligence will also learn different techniques and skills the more it battles. This way, fighting against your very own amiibo will be a much more worthy battle than fighting against a plain CPU. Each amiibo is different in that they grow with the player. If one player has a Link amiibo, and so does his best friend, they won’t be the same because the two players might have completely different tactics. The players even have the ability to customize the figure’s special moves. No two amiibos will ever be the same, banking for an overall better fighting experience with computer opponents.

Touch the amiibo figure to the reader on the Gamepad to activate it!

What other games will be compatible with amiibo figures?

Currently, there are several games slated to have amiibo compatibility. However, at this time, there’s no further information on how the figures will interact with these games:

• Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Mario Party 10
  • Yoshi’s Woolly World

Amiibo figures will be available along side the launch of Super Smash Bros for WiiU this holiday season. Happy Smashing, gamers!

iDOWN is your forum nut case who's obsessed with Starbucks, cats, and obviously Smash Bros. Follow him if you dare on his Twitter, @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
So when all my friends smack-talk about good they are in Smash, my amiibo can beat them for me?

SOLD

Brady5953

Smash Rookie
No.... This is bad. It's like Skylanders. Buy a crapton of overpriced toys in order to make the game easier. Not to mention, giving them a buff is just stupid. Buying this game was priority for me, but 'till save my money 'till it drops in price.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Mario Party 10 with link and samus? Oh, yes

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
While I might not every really think of buying these things, I do know for a fact that they look cool. Seeing them function and learn from other players as they keep going is a really neat idea. It will also help for practicing. You could level up your Amiibo a lot and then throw in a high level Amiibo to practice against rather than the typical level 9 computer.

Again, I most likely won't buy them, but they look gorgeous even for out of game play.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No.... This is bad. It's like Skylanders. Buy a crapton of overpriced toys in order to make the game easier. Not to mention, giving them a buff is just stupid. Buying this game was priority for me, but 'till save my money 'till it drops in price.
It doesn't make the game easier, though. You can't control them. Plus they're usable in multiple games.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm much more excited for these guys in other Nintendo games than Smash. The possibility of having Samus or Zelda in Mario Party is Great.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I think this is actually a really cool concept. Going by the logic that you can train them, that makes me wonder if I could potentially end up fighting an AI version of MYSELF, with enough training. That's actually kinda scary, yet hilarious to imagine at the same time! "I defeated ME... how strange." lol

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Might be fun as a sort of casual way for people to play with their favorite characters, wish it was inherently on the 3DS version with all characters, though. Streetpassing would be nice

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Might be fun as a sort of casual way for people to play with their favorite characters, wish it was inherently on the 3DS version with all characters, though. Streetpassing would be nice
Honestly, it could be a neat challenge for competitive players, too. Level up their characters as much as they want and play against a very OP CPU to test their skills.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
All I want to know is if the amiibo you trained can fight other amiibos, like you can train your own Super Smash Bros Tamagotchi/Digimon

That would be amazing

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Probability states I'll have a 1/3 chance of manning one of the Amiibo characters... I'll be able to use it for training, and when I feel like it, a battle with friends.

Forsage

Smash Rookie
NNID
WisdomAndCourage
All I want to know is if the amiibo you trained can fight other amiibos, like you can train your own Super Smash Bros Tamagotchi/Digimon

That would be amazing
We need amiibo side tournaments to be a thing.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm genuinely interested and impressed now. Hehe, experimenting with my "groomed" CPUs will be super fun. (I can imagine that Omega Tyrant will find even more ways to break the AI in Smash as a result of this, and that's awesome too.) :D

Last edited:

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I'm indifferent on the entire Amiibo idea, although I will probably buy a Link and Marth (once they make one) just for the heck of it.

Li'l Devi'

Smash Cadet
NNID
TFSRunner
Soo, could someone potentially have their amiibo with 20XX status? As in, Have an amiibo play hundreds of matches against the big 5 (of smash 4 of course) and develop the ultimate tech against them?

D

Deleted member

I love this idea.
Not only does it not force you to buy the figures to beat the game, but after seeing them compare it to the trophies coming to life thing, I might have to pick one up.

Well played.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty interested, having experimented with Brawl's CPUs. You get some weird results using competitive tactics on a new save. Peaches spamming grounded floats, Snakes DACUSing in bizarre situations and jumping to where they would of been with a normal DA, and Pits reaiming arrows in bizarre zigzags. Oddly, Pits will eventually learn to control the arrows right and 'grow out of' the zigzags.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
While I might not every really think of buying these things, I do know for a fact that they look cool. Seeing them function and learn from other players as they keep going is a really neat idea. It will also help for practicing. You could level up your Amiibo a lot and then throw in a high level Amiibo to practice against rather than the typical level 9 computer.

Again, I most likely won't buy them, but they look gorgeous even for out of game play.
exactly what I was thinking. It'll be like a sparring partner.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
So... You go to your friend's with your Amiibo, and they have a figure of their own. You put the Amiibo on the GamePad, and they fight while you kick back and watch.

Why not just play the game with your friend?

Top Bottom