• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo characters only possible for DLC?

Ninpalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninpalk
3DS FC
2148-8192-8931
According to the Smash Facebook page... (https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/posts/416170928556593)
It says "Which NINTENDO character do you want in Super Smash Bros.?" This means unless they are in the works, characters like Snake, Simon Belmont, Shovel Knight, and Rayman aren't possible if you vote for them.
Personally I think I'll use my vote on somebody like King K. Rool or Sceptile. What do you guys think? Do you think third party characters are still possible? Snake seems like a thing Sakurai would reveal at E3 if he was already working on him...but Hideo Kajima, the reason for Snake being in Brawl, is quitting the MGS series after 5 apparently...So who knows?

Skjoett

Smash Cadet
First off, I like your idea about voting on K. Rool ;-) And I don't take that post as completely comfirming that you can't vote for third party characters, but it is definitely implying something along those lines.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I think it's a bit of bias towards those characters, not sure. I voted for Porky mainly but also Shovel Knight and Tails so who knows.

HallowKaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
HallowKaz
3DS FC
2938-8929-4909
There are very ridiculous requests for Smash characters, but we all know that only Nintendo-based characters will be introduced. There hasn't been any DLC relating to anything that hasn't been in Smash before.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I would have thought that if they weren't remotely considering third-party characters, Iwata would have softly let us down. Phil Spencer's comments about Banjo gave me hope, so my advice is just vote for who you want!

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
There are very ridiculous requests for Smash characters, but we all know that only Nintendo-based characters will be introduced.
How do you know this?
There hasn't been any DLC relating to anything that hasn't been in Smash before.
That's not a good indicator of anything. Smash DLC is just getting started. And I don't see how that statement supports your previous statement.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
This is an interesting topic. In a video interview (the actual interview is over an hour in), Sakurai mentions that he's surprised at fan requests on Miiverse for characters like Goku and Spongebob. And I believe this fascination with such requests is what prompted the poll in the first place. He's genuinely interested in hearing what people want to see. Does that mean guest characters have as big of a shot as Nintendo characters or even previous smashers like Roy or Wolf? Probably not, but you should still take the opportunity to vote for which character you'd genuinely like to see and can provide a reason why.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
This is an interesting topic. In a video interview (the actual interview is over an hour in), Sakurai mentions that he's surprised at fan requests on Miiverse for characters like Goku and Spongebob. And I believe this fascination with such requests is what prompted the poll in the first place. He's genuinely interested in hearing what people want to see. Does that mean guest characters have as big of a shot as Nintendo characters or even previous smashers like Roy or Wolf? Probably not, but you should still take the opportunity to vote for which character you'd genuinely like to see and can provide a reason why.
Roy does not have a big shot.

Glad to know Shovel Knight and Rayman votes don't count.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The wording would seem to indicate it's only for Nintendo characters, though until they clarify we won't know for sure.

And I really hope they do clarify. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only wonderful things have happened when the community read into inocent statments too much. Remember the "up until now"? that got the Earthbound fans panties in a bunch?

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well good thing K.Rool was my primary,
but my wildcard was

To clarify I'm voting for THIS

considered voting for the female pilot in the Tornado suit, but I A) don't know what that one actually looks like, and she only appeared in the second game. And yes this is a Nintendo character, Intelligent Systems made the games, not a high chance of sucess, but you never know
Nintendo glory!

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Well I put in for Mike Jones from Startropics. He's Nintendo from 1990 and I've wanted this adventurer since mele!

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
A facebook post written by no one even involved in development means nothing, especially since you are taking exact wording with assumed meaning as fact. Weve run into this kind of situation before where sakurai's words were taken to mean something when they were never specified as such. The person in charge of the page could have just been told tell people to vote for any nintendo character they want, without the thought that NINTENDO should tell them all else is not counted. I dont know why people always do this and assume the worst, the site itself never mentioned as much when it easily could have.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It would completely over represent Fire Emblem.
So bad , representation is not a problem . And what is the problem that a series from 1990 have some rep ?
That's ironic for somebody who main Mewtwo ...

Roy the Koopaling.
Most stupidest argument i had ever read .

And ? Your point is ? Back in Brawl / Sm4sh people say Mewtwo won't made in because of Lucario/Greninja ... and Look right now ...

Wasted potential in FE6, shameless clone in SSBMelee. Take your nostalgia glasses off and accept that not even Fire Emblem fans want him back in.
Okay right now that's unbeliveable .

He's not the most powerful unit but he's good , good enough for me at least , of course he promote late in the game , but that wasn't a problem for me ... git guud

Shameless Clone ? Say that to :drmario::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: ... It's not like Melee was a game with a lot of clone ...

Not even Fire Emblem fan want him back in ? They don't want back him so much that in Japanease Poll he is in the Top 10-15 ( with almost every veterant ) , European fan like him a LOT .

Go see the Roy Support Thread , maybe it will open your mind...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait what happened with Earthbound?
Due to how a statement about Ness on Lucas' brawl page was worded people got panicked that the boy from Onett was dropped for Lucas.

All that stress over nothing. Get where I'm going with this?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It does say that. Does that mean we are allowed to vote if they appeared on a Nintendo console but aren't technically from Nintendo?

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Due to how a statement about Ness on Lucas' brawl page was worded people got panicked that the boy from Onett was dropped for Lucas.

All that stress over nothing. Get where I'm going with this?
Haaaa! LOL! I remember that now! One of my friends who was a ness main in melee was flipping out about a "character replacement" and now it makes sense. Wow I can't believe people stressed over that. That's almost as bad as people thinking Ness was replaced by villager since his profile didn't go up on the smash site until mighty close to the games release. xD

PeterJude

Smash Ace
But it says you main Sonic.
Who is arguably the most "trash" character in Smash.
Poor Sonic. If only SEGA actually treated him as prized IP rather than something to stick on any ol' rubbish to get it to sell.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There is no hard and fast rule, but, besides Snake, a lot of third party characters probably wont happen. I'm sure most of the third party characters people are requesting wont happen.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Even with Nintendo saying all video game characters are eligible, it's pretty clear they will only make Nintendo DLC characters and if you doubt that just wait and see. The only 3rd party that I can see as DLC is Snake and I don't think he will come back. I'd be happy cause he had an unique play style.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here's what I THINK of what this situation is at this point :

Maybe at first, they said that "only" Nintendo characters can be asked for Smash DLC (I don't know why, they said "any video game characters" but whatever). But as the fans asked for other than Nintendo characters, they may think that at this point, anyone can join for DLC. As long as they are video games characters.

So no, I don't think that only Nintendo Characters can join. So Rayman / Shovel Knight or Shantae can have a chance.
Plus with all the other companies who joins the campaign, I don't think Nintendo can stay "Restricted to Nintendo Characters Only" for so long.

Top Bottom