• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nine Thousand Earmarks

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=1250]Nine Thousand Earmarks[/drupal]

Aside from being a whole lot of pork and other useless spending that the government is about to embark on. The government saw fit to follow an internet meme with it.

Nine Thousand Earmarks

This was also mentioned on the Daily Show yesterday.

Daily Show March 11, 2009

Now, I'm gonna make the greatly circumstantial jump to internet memes and post this video.

YouTube - Over 9000

Well, now that the USA government is not only screwing over the taxpayers, but also using exhausted internet memes, it's safe to say the USA is now officially and totally ****ed.

Anyway, this topic for discussing the spending plan, Obama's failure to live up to a pretty important campaign promise, and the insulting use of an overused meme. (The spending portion of this discussion probably better for the DH, but whatever)

Well, right now I'm am calling for a separation of state and moderately funny memes, or else we'll end of with a world that basically looks like this.

Over 9000 earmarks

):
):

Scott!

Smash Lord
But, we need those earmarks! The economy's inert!

But seriously, a few things. I'm not an Obama fanboy, but I can't really blame him completely for the earmarks, if that's what you're referencing as his broken promise. He doesn't make the laws; he signs them. If he thinks the bill is too important, despite the earmarks, what is he going to do? Not sign? Take them out and let it fail? Or bite the bullet and deal with them. He can't force Congress to listen to him, nor should he be able to.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify then, I'm not blaming Obama for the Earmarks, but he seriously could have done more to try and convince congress to drop these earmarks, he could have at least said something about the earmarks to the public. Yeah, it is congress's fault, but that still doesn't change that fact that Obama did nearly nothing when he clearly stated that he would attempt to do something drastic to prevent things like this.

Of course, maybe he did attempt something (which obviously failed, thus failure remains a good word to describe it) and the media just didn't cover it because such a story would have been boring and made Obama look like a good guy (The media is clearly trying to do the exact opposite of that BTW).

One last thing, the president can't force congress to listen to him, but the people certainly can, he could have brought it to the public, and then after much anger from the populace, the number of earmarks undoubtedly would have been reduced.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is why Whiskey was invented. So I don't have to care about any of this BS.

Also woman, but they can add troubles onto things if you decide to get into relationships.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
It's .. . OVER 9000!!

ok, now that someone's said it (^), we can move on with this thread.

I just find it funny how Obama knocked Bush for a runaway Congress, and now he's trying to distance himself from this loony Congress. Don't get me wrong - we have separation of powers for good reason, but it's just funny how Obama tried to connect Bush with Congress, and now he's suffering from the same connection/problem - Irony?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Technically, Obama was being compared to Bush even before he was elected.

I remember when they were arguing about Obama's lack of experience and people were arguing back, "well, he has the same amount of experience as Bush"

Kinda funny they'd want to bring in Bush's experience when defending Obama.

D

Deleted member

Is it really that hard to realize that just throwing money at a problem never works?

Arnold Friend

Smash Rookie
IF obama had balls he would audit the federal reserve. But alas he doesn't, so he'll just throw money at the problem, keep borrowing money from China, and ****ing the tax payer to a future in hell, while the old baby boomers are fattening themselves with the last breed of social security. The problems to the economy could be alleviated quite simply. Withdraw our troops Iraq and Afganistan! Actually just bring them all home. Why the F*** do we still have tropps in Germany? or in Japan? what a waste of money that could be spent here at home. Another thing. Simply suspent the income tax for ppl making less than 100gs. Boom everyone gets a pay raise. But no, we'll just keep printing money to bailout greedy institutions that have no buisness still standing. Believe me we are out of the frying pan and headed straight for the fryer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There once was a president that tried to fight against congress...

He ended up just vetoing everything and was labeled as a terrible president.

I don't think you all realize what power the president actually has.

He is not a king.

kr3wman

Smash Master
If people had balls in the US they would vote for a president that would change the two parties (Democrats/Republican) monopoly in the government, because seriously, at this point people are just voting for the lesser of evils.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
WHAT 9000??!??!!?! THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!!!!!!111

ok, NOW we can go on with the discussion.

*sigh* Seems like a depression is on it's way no matter what. (Actually, it feels like it's well on its way already....)

Arnold Friend

Smash Rookie
The chinese are sending tour groups of millionares to America so they can by cheap American properties, and AIG( on its third government bailout) is giving out 100 million in bonuses to executives who share much of the blame in putting us in this mess. The country is well into the recession. Americans voted for the same president they voted for in 2004. Except this one has an ideology of "hope"- w/e that means- instead of "gut feeling." We're getting change alright, by moving all our troops from the deserts of Iraq into the caves of Afganistan.

D

Deleted member

I wish we could just wipe Afghanistan/Iraq/Iran/etc. off the face of the Earth. They are bees and we're a person. They can hurt a little but we can destroy them in seconds.

Top Bottom