• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nights: Nights Into Dreams Support Thread

Jumpman1985

Smash Rookie

Nights into Dreams... is an action game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the Sega Saturn in 1996. The story follows teenagers Claris and Elliot, who enter Nightopia, a dream world where all dreams take place. With the help of Nights, an exiled "Nightmaren", they begin a journey to stop the evil ruler Wizeman from destroying Nightopia and consequently the real world. Players control Nights flying through Claris and Elliot's dreams to gather enough energy to defeat Wizeman and save Nightopia. The game is presented in 3D and imposes time limits on every level, in which the player must accumulate points to proceed.

Development began after the release of Sonic & Knuckles in 1994, although the concept originated during the development of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 two years prior. Development was led by Sonic Team veterans Yuji Naka, Naoto Ohshima, and Takashi Iizuka. Naka began the project with the main idea revolving around flight, and Ohshima designed the character Nights to resemble an angel that could fly like a bird. Ohshima designed Nights as an androgynouscharacter. The team conducted research on dreaming and REM sleep, and was influenced by the works and theories of psychoanalysts Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud. An analogue controller, the Saturn 3D controller, was designed alongside the game and included with some retail copies.
Nights into Dreams received acclaim for its graphics, gameplay, soundtrack, and atmosphere. It has appeared on several lists of the best games made. An abbreviated Christmas-themed version, Christmas Nights, was released in December 1996. The game was ported to the PlayStation 2 in 2008 in Japan and a high-definition version was released worldwide for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Windows in 2012.

“A sequel, Nights: Journey of Dreams, was released for the Wii in 2007.”

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. But, I do support! I really hope the series gets a revival. Whether it's for the 3DS or Switch, I wouldn't mind at all. I just really want a revival.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I only played a few levels of Nights into Dreams... but I really admired its beauty and uniqueness. One of the finest games of the fifth generation of gaming consoles. NiGHTS is definitely not undeserving of a spot in Smash. Sad how little support she has around here.

D

Deleted member

I've never played either NiGHTS games, but a friend of mine told me about it since he has the game on steam, and I instantly fell in love with the series after watching the Journey of Dreams cutscenes online. I've still yet to get the original game on steam or find some Facebook Mom trying to sell their copy of Journey of Dreams, but I already know NiGHTS is well deserving of a slot in Smash Bros, and I also belive the NiGHTS series has alot of potential for a revival (IIRC Bayonetta was revived from being in Smash Bros)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well, NiGHTS hasn't been spotted as a spirit yet, and and a Smash appearance could certainly help garner a revival.

Consider me all in support of HIM.

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
hmm remember when I would post about NiGHTS joining Super Smash Bros & some guy told me that would never happen! But I still hope it could happen.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I may be a few hours late, but happy an 24th anniversary of NiGHTS into Dreams to all of you! (it's also on a summer sale until 9th)

Also, this game holds a special place on my heart in nostalgia, so I'm all okay for a supporter list.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
NiGHTS would be such a fantastic addition to Smash. If Sakurai is looking for a unique mechanic for new fighters, then NiGHTS' flying and paralooping would be a good challenge for him.

I played Journey of Dreams shortly after it came out on Wii, and while it had its moments, I was left a little underwhelmed.

However, I just recently started playing the orignal and I'm enjoying the experience--everything feels tighter, there's no fluff or filler levels. I can see why it's so beloved.

I'm a little surprised there's not more support for NiGHTS. It's the one game Miyamoto said he wished he made himself, which is incredibly high praise.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
A friend of mine @MichaelChristle560 made a fan project call "The Lost Fighters". I assume they are the lost fighters that couldn't make it into smash (except kirby) I don't know much about it but here is the roster.
The Lost Fighters roster layout with DLC (1).png

D

Deleted member

A friend of mine @MichaelChristle560 made a fan project call "The Lost Fighters". I assume they are the lost fighters that couldn't make it into smash (except kirby) I don't know much about it but here is the roster. View attachment 308480
Actually, this fan project I've been working on leaves out every existing character for new ones except for Kirby since he is the strongest of them all. This is where it take place in an alternate reality after the arrival of the deity Galeem where Kirby make new friends during the story mode "World of Light".

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
So, I had made three concept ideas for a stage, items and a boss for this series earlier in my wikia sandbox and decided to share them there. Simply said as short monologues are, as those below say them the most.

Spring Valley is the series' most prominent stage, as it is Claris' first world in NiGHTS into Dreams (even though Elliot also visited it in some of the cutscenes, Christmas NiGHTS, an Archie comic and a storybook), being the only accessible world in its Christmas version, appeared as a pinball table in Sonic Adventure & Pinball Party, mini-games on Game Boy Advance & SEGA Superstars, a "Dream Valley" circuit in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, referenced in Burning Rangers as a square, one of the teams in a baseball scene from the Sonic movie and IDW's recent 30th anniversary comic (complete with Badnik versions of Shleeps and Hollows), etc.

Players are fighting on a floating platform as it flies through a structure at the start, a few sections with sparkling water from the melted snow in a mountain, lush vegetation and spring atmosphere. While a platform is traveling, the terrain will damage fighters and launch them back by turning into small hills if they touch it (like in F-Zero stages). In the background, the Nightopians and Mepians can be seen doing many things such as singing, dancing, rolling, walking, whistling, clapping, making bubbles and fishing cake.

Enemies such as Shleeps (inflating themselves when close enough), Hollows (shooting small energy orbs), Kircles (grabbing fighters to drag them down and then blowing up) and Alarm Eggs (paralyzes fighters when hit) will appear as hazards to attack fighters, though they can be easily defeated, and Rings hover around the stage, which can launch anything (such as fighters and items) that jumps or falls in.

At the end of a rotation when a platform returns back to the start, a jellyfish-like machine called Ideya Capture, can be seen on the lower section of a structure. By collecting 20 Blue Chips scattered around the stage (like Pac-Dots in Pac-Maze on SSB4's 3DS version) and approaching the machine, it will explode and allows the player to retrieve the Ideya for a random buff. After a certain amount of time is passed, the machine will recover with an another Ideya locked inside it.
  • Red Ideya of Courage - Grants a boost in special moves.
  • White Ideya of Purity - Grants a boost in neutral attacks.
  • Blue Ideya of Intelligence - Grants a boost in defense (shield/dodging).
  • Green Ideya of Growth - Grants a boost in speed and air-dashes.
  • Yellow Ideya of Hope - Grants a boost in jump.
Tracklist:
  1. Message from Nightopia
  2. Dreams Dreams (Adult/Kid/Sky Concert/Cruising Together - latter is NiGHTS' credits theme)
  3. Growing Wings (Original/Journey of Dreams)
  4. NiGHTS
  5. Paternal Horn (Spring Valley)
  6. The Amazing Water (Splash Garden)
  7. Take the Snow Train (Frozen Bell)
  8. Under Construction (Stick Canyon)
  9. The Dragon Gave a Loud Scream (Gillwing)
  10. The Mantle (Jackle)
  11. NiGHTS and Reala ~ Theme of A Tragic Revenge (Original/Journey of Dreams)
  12. D'Force Master (Wizeman the Wicked) (Original/Journey of Dreams)
  13. When the Night Falls (Dream Gate)
  14. Eloquent Echo (original/Fluffy Catch)
  15. Sweeping Seashore (Aqua Garden) (also used in SEGA Superstars Tennis)
  16. Crystal Choir (Crystal Castle)
  17. Extra: Peaceful Moment (Original/Journey of Dreams - NiGHTS' victory theme; plays over the result screen akin to Cloud's in Smash and music changes on a home stage like in Mementos)
  • Ideyas
    • Grants various buffs when picked up:
      • Red Ideya of Courage - Grants a boost in special moves.
      • White Ideya of Purity - Grants a boost in neutral attacks.
      • Blue Ideya of Intelligence - Grants a boost in defense (shield/dodging).
      • Green Ideya of Growth - Grants a boost in speed and air-dashes.
      • Yellow Ideya of Hope - Grants a boost in jump.
    • Pretty much works similar to their stage counterparts as demonstrated above.
  • Dash Ball
    • Functions same as Super Launch Star in Smash, except that it can be aimed.
    • Launches anything (fighters, items, etc.) into a specific/aimed direction when they pass through it.
    • Stays for a few seconds before disappearing.
The fight takes place in Bellbridge, as the player fight Wizeman the Wicked on a long floating platform close to the clock tower while he floats around after emerging from a dark portal in the starry sky on his intro, much like his boss fight in Journey of Dreams, complete with D'Force Master (Journey of Dreams) playing in the background.

Wizeman the Wicked has multiple different attacks on his disposal during a boss fight:
  • Levitates around the stage/arena, trying to keep long distances away from the player.
  • Every time he uses one of his attacks, the entire environment/background will change such as space (meteors), a snowy mountain (snowballs), castle (fireballs), deep sea (water tornadoes), stormy sky (clones), etc. even though a platform stays.
  • Shooting small and fast fireballs. He can also concentrate his energy to fire a bigger one which does more damage.
  • Shooting a big blue energy orb from his hand's eyes, like in the Nightmare Zone DLC from Sonic Lost World.
  • Summoning meteors that will float up and down. He will either use them to protect himself or shoot towards the player.
  • Shooting big, slow snowballs which freezes the player, though they can grab and throw them back if they're fast enough.
  • Summons giant water tornadoes, which has a small gap between them where the player can stay in to dodge them.
  • Uses a invisible force-field which goes visible when the player tries to attack him with close-range attacks.
  • Everytime he gets hit by the player, Wizeman will teleport far away from them.
  • Creates clones of himself, multiplying his attacks to summon more projectiles for the player to dodge. They can be destroyed with the player's attacks.
  • Based on the cutscene in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Wizeman charges up and then shoots a purple laser beam, which does massive damage when it directly hits the player. It is his most powerful attack in this boss fight.
A defeat animation wasn't made as I'm planning these in future for a certain fan project thread.

Top Bottom