• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Niche Mario Tech - Cape Stall

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
So getting back into Melee (and Smashboards), it seems a little disappointing that the Mario boards are even deader than they were when I was here last, so let's try to spark up some conversation here with a possibly new tech!

Enter... The cape stall.

Originally a Brawl technique, the cape stall allowed Mario to reset his invincibility frames from grabbing the ledge by immediately caping after letting go of the ledge, and grabbing it again with the sweetspot.

This technique is also possible in Melee; however, it's reduced to being a niche tech due to the differences in a couple of gameplay mechanics. They are:

> Mario cannot grab the ledge while facing away from it.
> Though your double jump is reset after grabbing your ledge, your cape isn't. (i.e Your cape will only lift you up on the first aerial cape and must be reset by touching the ground)

How to Perform
> Hang onto a ledge
> Tilt away to let go then immediately cape towards the ledge

Don't jump. If you do, you'll cape onto the stage, which is useful in its own right, but isn't the cape stall.

So that's the Melee Cape Stall. Lemme know what you think of it!

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice

The issue is that the hit box only really gets the top of Mario, which makes it less useful. Although technically it could be used, I think it would just be easier to do a Bair from the ledge. As for stalling and waiting for an opponents attack to finish. I just see most characters trying to Uair you instead. I guess mind games maybe. MAYBE. But still...I dunno...it just seems like there are better options for most of the things that this idea provides.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I feel that the cape stall is more of a technique to bait an attack so that you get a free attack getting back on stage.

I guess one could also drop down, jump, then cape, but that puts additional risk in that you use your second jump. and could probably get hit out of it.

Probably mix up some capes onto stage (vs spacies especially) to nair or just nair onto the stage outright.

There probably are better options, though it's not a bad idea to check out these nice techs. I remember when I was here on Smashboards last time, the boards were discussing using the Doraki walljump -> fireball more.

I guess what we really need are tests in matches to see the effectiveness of these techniques.

j3ly

Smash Champion
Its great. I used to use it to fake a reaction, then WD onto the stage and chaingrab.

It works just fine :D

<--- I believe I came up with the doraki fireball jump and I seem to remember making a video too! haha

I found an awesomely epic mario tech that I have never seen used.. partially because the setup is so devilishly hard, but maybe someday I will get that perfect clip, and post it online.

- J3ly

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Glad you're still with Mario, j3ly, hope you can get that clip :D

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Tried using it some more, it's definitely usable as bait like j3ly said. Not as good for edgeguarding though. Stalling is a little tricky, you have to be pretty precise that the opponents jump won't reach you. Did get a couple of times though. I just wish melee's cape was as versatile as brawls XD I'll try and use it during a video and if I do i'll post it here.

PS whats doraki wall jump?

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Doraki walljump is a walljump from grabbing the ledge. Like, immediate--that is to say, it's not ledge release -> jump -> walljump.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yes, the Doraki wall jump is impeccable timing. I used to have it down for Fox(FOR NO REASON LOL) and need to figure out the timing better :p

Top Bottom