• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFC TECHNOLOGY IN SMASH 4?

Codeman23

Smash Rookie
It has been mentioned lately that Nintendo wants to include the technology used in sky landers to make us pay more for characters and unlocks. I don't know what you guys think but I wouldn't be too thrilled about it because of course I would pay for every character because its smash brothers but I wouldn't want to. Let me know what you think.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
What...? Where did you hear this from? That will be stupid if they make us pay for character and unlocks...

And do you mean we'll need to buy those figures and put them on that damned platform? @_@ My views of Smash 4 will be ruined.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What...? Where did you hear this from? That will be stupid if they make us pay for character and unlocks...

And do you mean we'll need to buy those figures and put them on that damned platform? @_@ My views of Smash 4 will be ruined.
It's nothing but an unconfirmed rumor... I wouldn't be taking this too seriously.

Codeman23

Smash Rookie
Yeah just a rumor for now but I'd hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to lose customers for the biggest game on wii u.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah just a rumor for now but I'd hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to lose customers for the biggest game on wii u.
Given the amount of rumors involving this game, it's likely it's another fake story. It's just that someone wants attention, nothing more...

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Well, I assumed he heard of it from a reliable source, but now that I know it's a rumor, I am sure it's fake. Unless Nintendo would definitely bull****ty move like that. Gg no re.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
This is the Rumor.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15887/20130312/super-smash-bros-wii-u-release-date.htm

The Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date is still a mystery. Now rumors are surfacing that Nintendo could force gamers to buy special action figur...es to unlock bonus characters, using similar NFC technology similar to "Skylander," according to "Official Nintendo Magazine." Read on for more Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date news. The Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date might not arrive by the end of 2013, but that hasn't stopped gamers from dreaming about the upcoming game , and it hasn't stopped bloggers from speculating about what changes we might see with the next title in Nintendo's popular franchise.

The latest Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date speculation comes from a UK-based gaming blog claiming to be the "Official Nintendo Magazine." Before delving into their NFC theory, which is actually pretty interesting, let's take a minute to totally discount this website, which we have reason to believe is not as official as their name suggests. First off, there is no "official" Nintendo magazine. There used to be this thing called "Nintendo Power," but this UK publication is a private company with a clever name (source: Wikipedia).

So back to the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date rumors. ONM blogger John Vekinis recently published a short article with the following inquisitive headline, "Should Smash Bros Utilise NFC?" It's an interesting question, and the implications range from cool to scary.

Vekinis' Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date theory stems from an often-overlooked feature of the Wii U controller, an NFC Reader/Writer. ONM notes that Nintendo higher-ups have recently dropped a few hints suggesting that NFC may figure heavily in the company's future.

The current most popular game to use NFC is "Skylanders," which turned a gigantic profit by tricking gamers into buying action figures for all the characters and items they wanted to play with in the game. While "Skylanders" comes with its own specially designed NFC portal, it's possible that the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date could force Wii U owners to become better acquainted with the touch-pad controller's built-in NFC reader.

So what purpose will NFC serve when the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date arrives? Is it possible that Nintendo will make us buy action figures to unlock playable characters? It seems unlikely that Nintendo would risk infuriating its fans by making them pay to unlock Captain Falcon. Then again, money is money.

ONM offers an interesting middle ground for what to expect in terms of NFC when the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date arrives:

"I've got an idea of what I want the NFC to do. I think it would be just dandy if the new Smash Bros could have some NFC capabilities. Smash Bros has been all about trophies and it would be pretty sweet if you could get real trophies to communicate with the game through NFC. No, not like the overpriced trinkets that Skylanders totes - more in line with those little keyring sized toys you get past the checkouts at Toys R Us from a slot machine.

"Now this shouldn't effect the playable characters in the game but maybe it could be used for trophy collections in the game or have a role in the single player mode in a similar fashion to Brawl's stickers."

So is John Vekinis right or is Nintendo planning to pump its consumers for cash when the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date arrives? Sound off in the comments and tell us what you think!

Read on for more Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date news and rumors.

The Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date may be in danger! Game director Masahiro Sakurai was diagnosed with calcific tendonitis in his right arm, which could seriously impair his ability to work on the upcoming title.

As soon as the news of Sakurai's injury leaked online Nintendo fans began to worry about both the beloved video game developer's health as well as the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date.

Here's Sakurai's response (courtesy of Gamnesia) to fans worried about both his health and the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date:

"Thanks a lot of encouragement messages. Please don't worry about my injury & SMASH BROS development."

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I guess. If it's anything like Skylanders or Disney Infinity where I have to buy a ton of pricey stuff just to get the full experience then HELL NO!

TBH, I have severe doubts such a thing will even be considered in Sm4sh. The series is pretty gimmicky enough with stuff like trophy collecting and special melee/brawl. Just give me more game modes plz.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yes, more game modes. :3 Game modes other than that crappy coin mode pl0x.

Just a rumor, nothing to get worried 'bout. But yeah, I would say "HELL NO" to that too.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
If it were optional, I'd be all for it.
If you're playing and you have a hammer figurine, for instance, you can quickly swipe it on the NFC-reader and make a mad-dash for the item as it appears (maybe not for multiplayer though). Or if you have a Mario figure and it unlocks special costumes (Dr. Mario, Tankuki Mario, etc.), I can't see the harm in that (show off a bit online).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Those figures are just a very expensive form of day one DLC.

Any game that uses them should be criticized at the highest level. If these were confirmed for SSB4, I wouldn't know what to do with myself...

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I don't think you should have to buy them,I think it should be optional,I support the option to buy the figures mabe some day the figures could be worth something.Mabe they will look like these if they end up going with NFC figures .:)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I really want them to sell figures and use them to unlock special content for the games. Not necessarily "new playable" characters only, but select trophies that you can buy for like $3-$5 that also unlocks in the game. I'm thinking more of like Kid Icarus Uprising where you buy a booster pack and scan the cards to unlock idols in-game. I'm assuming the 3DS version of Smash Bros. could feature this.

Either way, I've always wanted trophies from Smash Bros. lined up in my room, so this is a dream come true for me if Nintendo does this. I'm sure they'll be reasonable about it. It's not like you NEEDED the AR Cards for KIU. So, essentially, these figurines are nothing but nice little extras to keep the collecting trophies aspect alive and better. I don't think they'll force you to buy trophies or figurines to unlock all the core content. And surely, it'll be a limited run, especially here in the US.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I really want them to sell figures and use them to unlock special content for the games. Not necessarily "new playable" characters only, but select trophies that you can buy for like $3-$5 that also unlocks in the game. I'm thinking more of like Kid Icarus Uprising where you buy a booster pack and scan the cards to unlock idols in-game. I'm assuming the 3DS version of Smash Bros. could feature this.

Either way, I've always wanted trophies from Smash Bros. lined up in my room, so this is a dream come true for me if Nintendo does this. I'm sure they'll be reasonable about it. It's not like you NEEDED the AR Cards for KIU. So, essentially, these figurines are nothing but nice little extras to keep the collecting trophies aspect alive and better. I don't think they'll force you to buy trophies or figurines to unlock all the core content. And surely, it'll be a limited run, especially here in the US.
That wouldn't be a bad idea and I think a good part of Nintendo and Smash fans would spend some money on their favorite characters.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Sure, they could do that. If they wanted the game to fall on it's face that is. Only ******* who buy DLC for **** like CoD would pay for characters in a smash game, give me the whole game or not at all.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I could easily see them including plenty of options as far as DLC goes in Smash 4's future, any top-selling game(especially a party/fighting game) that's guaranteed to sell major quantities would be stupid not to include some, it just makes sense for business. Look at Capcom, they love their DLC.

I highly doubt we will see any NFC Technology being incorporated though. With the Tablet/Gamepad technology and cross-play functions between the Wii U and 3DS versions there will already be plenty of gimmicks and whatnot. Adding NFC Technology would just be silly. Plus, I hate Skylanders anyway.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
The odd thing about NFC is that it creates distance between small devs and big, better funded devs, rather than the other way around which is what things like digital platforms were doing. So it seems anachronistic in that sense. NFC is something that can only be wielded by mega companies like Nintendo and Disney, and the innovation it brings to the table is the ability to to gouge us for our money.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
All I'm concerned of is how much I have to struggle TO FIND all the figures I need. I fear someones might become ultrarare.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'd be happy with it.
Being able to download more characters/stages beyond release would be great.
Hopefully they don't charge ridiculous figures, but it it's reasonable then why not? If you don't have the money, then just don't buy the new features. Simple.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No. I don't support EA-style player wallet-sniping in any form, and I know Sakurai isn't stupid enough to want it either. Nintendo isn't going to put something like that in a Smash game, because it's just not how a game like Smash can work. Nintendo isn't EA. They're going to try it with Rumble U, but the Pokemon spin-off games apart from Mystery Dungeon are not ever top-sellers. They'd NEVER carry this over to Smash. It's not going to be in Smash, and it's not going to be in Mario Kart U. Nintendo *likes* it's playerbase.

(I really hope I don't eat my words at E3, but I'm confident I won't have to. Seriously.)

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
[

Seeing how the figures cost approx. £1.40 / €1.60 / $2) . for Pokémon Rumble would the figures Stay the same price for a much biger game like Super Smash Bros 4?Or would they stay the same price as the figures for Pokémon Rumble.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd also like to point out, that even putting my hatred of required pay-to-play content aside. (I despise EA, and everything about them. I do however support DLC, and have actively bought all the Skyrim DLC because it's excellent and ISN'T REQUIRED TO PLAY THE GAME I ALREADY PAID FOR.) That article is incredibly unprofessional and makes several journalism no-no's. For instance, they make a point of saying that the website that came up with this rumor is probably a sham. (i.e. a british site called "Official Nintendo Magazine" when the only "Official Nintendo Magazine", aka Nintendo Power is now done. It says that.

THEN it goes on to say, using the above quote: "So is John Vekinis right or is Nintendo planning to pump its consumers for cash when the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date arrives? Sound off in the comments and tell us what you think!"

That quote is essentially comparing the exact same thing. The guy they mentioned offers a blurb about how they could "effectively" use NFC tech, and then go all "the horror, the horror!" as the comparison. They're the same cake, different frosting.

Also, what in the hell is even being said here? "t's possible that the Super Smash Bros. Wii U release date could force Wii U owners to become better acquainted with the touch-pad controller's built-in NFC reader."

Leme get this straight. The "release date" could force Wii U owners to become better acquainted with...wait a minute, since when did the touch pad have an NFC reader? And what does "The release date could force..." even MEAN? Even if the gamepad does have an NFC reader, They're not going to use that for Smash. That's unwieldy, and stupid. Sakurai is going to want players to use the Gamepad for gameplay. Straight up gameplay. In addition, there's going to be an option to use the Pro controller, AND Wii controllers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, which already puts this whole theory to shame. This is a fighting/party game. Not some toy-collecting jamboree. There have always been several methods to unlock each character. They're not going to change this now.

If it isn't obvious by now, I hate both pay-to-play content and NFC content with a passion. I don't want my Smash tournaments to be filled with collectible Ike statues, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Edit: All of this said, even if they DID turn to NFC for Smash, I'd still buy all the figures and put them on display because they'd probably look good, because I'm a Nintendo Loyalist as all hell. But seriously, please don't make me do that, Nintendo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I agree with Komicturtle, the NFC thing will probably be just like how it is with Kid Icarus Uprising's AR card's. Just an optional sidefeature for collectors to buy some figures and then add them into smash as trophies with a few nifty features alongside for them. Maybe a few rare trophies cannot be obtained in the game itself and you should try and get them by buying the figures? I don't know. But they definitely wont be used for unlocking characters or anything like that.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
But they definitely wont be used for unlocking characters or anything like that.
Don't underestimate the greed of the modern game industry. Nintendo in the past went out of their way to state they'd never do DLC in any form, now look. I grew up with Nintendo since the 80's but I wont let that blind me to the fact that no CORPORATION is innocent of the modern gaming greed now. Once they've had a taste of easy cash they do not go back unless a major slap to the face happens.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't underestimate the greed of the modern game industry. Nintendo in the past went out of their way to state they'd never do DLC in any form, now look. I grew up with Nintendo since the 80's but I wont let that blind me to the fact that no CORPORATION is innocent of the modern gaming greed now. Once they've had a taste of easy cash they do not go back unless a major slap to the face happens.
When did they say that? I thought they said they wouldn't do on-disc paying DLC not no DLC at all... :/

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
When did they say that? I thought they said they wouldn't do on-disc paying DLC not no DLC at all... :/
If I could remember where I got the pic initially I would get it but thats how I remember them saying it. Then they changed their minds and said what you said, and now its just gonna end up full on DLC like we got with the NSMBWiiU and nsmb2. Though to be fair the luigi DLC to nsmb Wiiu is more like a expansion pack which is the right way to do things.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I could remember where I got the pic initially I would get it but thats how I remember them saying it. Then they changed their minds and said what you said, and now its just gonna end up full on DLC like we got with the NSMBWiiU and nsmb2. Though to be fair the luigi DLC to nsmb Wiiu is more like a expansion pack which is the right way to do things.
Well so long as they keep up with the expansions at a later date like they did with the New Super Mario Bros games I don't think there is much to worry about. Iwata stressed that he didn't like on-disc DLC so lets hope he keeps his word.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
I personally think NFC Technology is a bad idea for a game like Smash unless it's only used as DLC. If we have to use AR Cards for it, then it changed from a bad idea to the worst idea for Smash ever except maybe putting Magikarp in.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm fairly certain they meant on-disc DLC that you have to pay for.

On another note, I'm fine with DLC, but only if it actually, you know, doesn't suck.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
I think that it should be like DLC unless it's DLC that's already on the disc because nobody likes that at all. If Nintendo does that, then they'll turn out like Capcom and Capcom is like that because Capcom is Capcom.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
got about half way through this thread, before just skipping the rest of the garbage. >_<

I come from thr poor and homeless IRL,
but that aside, I hate money
especially for software use.

I have as much faith in DLC as I do in the chain combo system >:O

these ideas are so outrageously stupid,
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would implament them...

however, knowing how they've completely changed and bamfed brawl from melee, I wouldn't be surprized if they did... -.-*

I'll still get the game,
but I ain't payin for my characters.
I'll hack them in myself if it comes to it. >:(

it's their choice if they want to ruin smash history and get a big slap in the face from the hacking communities.

EDIT:
*realizing what I just said*

I'm only against DLC if you have to pay for it.

if it's free, then that's fine :)

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Bumped for relevancy. From yesterday's Nintendo briefing...

Iwata said:
In addition, the GamePad is the only video game platform with an NFC (near-field communication) reader/writer function. “Pokémon Rumble U” has already taken advantage of this function, but aside from this title, Wii U has failed to make use of the full potential of this function so far, despite it being a built-in feature.

This year, we will make full use of this function by preparing multiple proposals, including the implementation of NFC payments with JR East’s “Suica,” which we announced on a previous occasion. We will showcase our detailed propositions for utilizing the NFC functionality at E3 in Los Angeles in June.
Smash related?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There is definitely nothing wrong in theory with the use of NFC technology and opens up possiblities, I just don't know if I'd consider smash the game to use it in.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't think we essentially have to worry about this unless the game is delayed by a large amount of time. Because I assume they'd need to take the time to actually program the NFC stuff for this game when most of the game has been in development before Nintendo has decided to try this.

Top Bottom