• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Cool! You can join the Americans that don't live in New York City and Hawaii, we don't really have anything either! Hell, even then, Unova is far looser with it's inspiration than later regions.
TBF, as somebody who lives in Kentucky, we don't have much to offer outside of our grass turning blue at a certain time of year...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
TBF, as somebody who lives in Kentucky, we don't have much to offer outside of our grass turning blue at a certain time of year...
That’s at least something. I’m not entirely sure what would be terribly interesting about my home state of Massachusetts. We’ve got a cool robotics school and we have the town of Salem which was famous for the witch trials but I don’t know what else would be too interesting for a global market.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That’s fair. I totally get why it appeals to a lot of people. I’ve just always personally preferred fantasy worlds to those based on reality.
To be fair, most fantasy worlds are inspired by the real world in one shape or form - as in, a lot of them are just medieval Europe or such with dragons thrown in and even when they don't have a clear inspiration, it's not so easy to create a culture from scratch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s fair. I totally get why it appeals to a lot of people. I’ve just always personally preferred fantasy worlds to those based on reality.

Another thing is that I feel a lot of the modern designs for the Pokémon themselves are taking the real world inspiration a bit too literary. I miss the days where we just had cool looking monsters. They always had some references but they used to be more subtle. I don’t really need a soccer player, a rugby player, a secret agent, or most other Pokémon that are too heavily based on a profession. That’s just my personal taste though and there’s nothing wrong with anyone that prefers those designs.
ah but when you turn to the myths and creatures of any country you can find the potential for some truly amazing pok

that would make a neat Pokémon

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be fair, most fantasy worlds are inspired by the real world in one shape or form - as in, a lot of them are just medieval Europe or such with dragons thrown in and even when they don't have a clear inspiration, it's not so easy to create a culture from scratch.
Yeah, that’s true. Maybe it’s just the modern setting that makes me not particularly interested. I love fantasy worlds based on the past like ancient Egypt, medieval Europe, or feudal Japan. I guess it’s also in how much liberty they take from the source. It’s cool to see some kind of twist that makes those inspirations their own. It’s also that I see the modern world every day in real life so it doesn’t quite have the same excitement for me as those based on the past or future. Still, there is an appeal to seeing modern settings adapt the style from a less realistic game like Pokémon and seeing what they can build from that.

Aligo

Smash Ace
galar is based on england nothing else. the crown tundra is barley based on scotland. but no that doens't matter does it. it doesn't matter that the rest of us get ignored as usual as long as england's happy. no wales, no northern ireland, a scottish area with a legendary based on an irish myth. doens't matter cause englands the uk and that's all that matters
Galar in general is trash for representation. I guarantee that if they included a Wales - based area it would be a singular copy of verdantaturf town with a grey filter and permanent heavy rain occupied by a singular dubwool.
I doubt Ireland would fare much better in that regard. No nation on this earth would be happy being represented by gen 8.

Despite its relative recency, galar probably needs.a rework more than most, as you have so clearly pointed out.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
They always had some references but they used to be more subtle. I don’t really need a soccer player, a rugby player, a secret agent, or most other Pokémon that are too heavily based on a profession.
Well, I wouldn't exactly call the boxer and the kick-boxer in gen 1 "subtle"...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I wouldn't exactly call the boxer and the kick-boxer in gen 1 "subtle"...
Hitmonlee is more subtle than Hitmonchan in my opinion. Hitmonlee is clearly based around kicking but he doesn’t have the whole outfit like Hitmonchan and visually just looks like a cool monster that happens to use that fighting style. There were definitely obvious references in Gen 1 like Hitmonchan and Mr. Mime but I feel there were a lot less of them back then. I don’t really mind a few more obvious inspirations sprinkled in here and there but it gets a bit old for me when they do it so often. For example, pretty much every starter these days.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hitmonlee is more subtle than Hitmonchan in my opinion. Hitmonlee is clearly based around kicking but he doesn’t have the whole outfit like Hitmonchan and visually just looks like a cool monster that happens to use that fighting style. There were definitely obvious references in Gen 1 like Hitmonchan and Mr. Mime but I feel there were a lot less of them back then. I don’t really mind a few more obvious inspirations sprinkled in here and there but it gets a bit old for me when they do it so often. For example, pretty much every starter these days.
I agree that "Lee" is less obvious than "Chan". Also I admit that I stopped playing Pokémon after the first gen (and the remake of Silver and Gold), so I have no idea if this has become more common, you're probably right about that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Galar in general is trash for representation. I guarantee that if they included a Wales - based area it would be a singular copy of verdantaturf town with a grey filter and permanent heavy rain occupied by a singular dubwool.
I doubt Ireland would fare much better in that regard. No nation on this earth would be happy being represented by gen 8.

Despite its relative recency, galar probably needs.a rework more than most, as you have so clearly pointed out.
again it’s not about representation it’s about how we get ignored all the time

Gengar84

Smash Hero
again it’s not about representation it’s about how we get ignored all the time
There’s nothing stopping them from making a region more directly based on Scotland in the future. I don’t think Galar existing eliminates that possibility. We did get 4 regions based on Japan and two in the US. There’s a ton of regions that haven’t been done yet like Africa, South America, or Australia so you’re definitely not alone.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There’s nothing stopping them from making a region more directly based on Scotland in the future. I don’t think Galar existing eliminates that possibility. We did get 4 regions based on Japan and two in the US. There’s a ton of regions that haven’t been done yet like Africa, South America, or Australia so you’re definitely not alone.
yeah but the crown tundra sort of does

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Too bad we gotta wait some odd years for people to suddenly decide Sword and Shield were actually great games and start demanding remakes. Happened with Diamond and Pearl, Black and White, and it's even happening with X and Y now...

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
At least Scotland got something.

Shoutout to the Canary Islands which is a pretty notable section of Spain that seems to have gotten passed over in SV's DLC for other places not related to Spain/Portugal

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How are largely inaccurate depictions of regions in Pokémon in comparison to real-world locations relevant to “Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread” discussion?

Seems like a more appropriate topic for the Pokémon thread or even a dedicated thread on the subject matter and not on a thread where it’s a facet of a facet on a gaming universe in Smash.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How are largely inaccurate depictions of regions in Pokémon in comparison to real-world locations relevant to “Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread” discussion?

Seems like a more appropriate topic for the Pokémon thread or even a dedicated thread on the subject matter and not on a thread where it’s a facet of a facet on a gaming universe in Smash.
My apologies. I tend to get sidetracked easily and I have a bit of a short attention span. It’s a bit tricky to come up with new Smash specific topics that haven’t already been speculated on multiple times.

I hope the next Smash has a greatly expanded Stage Builder. I love the feature but find it very limiting. It would also be cool if the stages we made could look a bit more like an official stage rather than a cardboard cutout of a stage but that would probably take a ton of work to implement.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Sorry, Venus, though I was kind of wondering that too. We must have been sidetracked or distracted for some reason. I do apologize that this happened, my little involvement included.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

we could talk about scottish characters for smash?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Cool! You can join the Americans that don't live in New York City and Hawaii, we don't really have anything either! Hell, even then, Unova is far looser with it's inspiration than later regions.
Dont forget the state Orre was inspired by.

Yeah that on was also losely based on the states.

I get where you're coming from but I think it's really fun to see different regions based on different parts of the modern world as it shows the Pokemon world as somewhere both developed and in tune with nature.

It's not that ancient settings are bad but I saw the same ones in plenty of other games. Even the way Legends Arceus handled it was interesting because it was based on the Meiji period and we got to see how modernization affects the Pokemon world.
On that note i hope we get mor Pokemon Legends games, specifically set in th Pokemon worlds version of the 1800's.

Seeing Laventon and Cogita makes me want to see Galar in this period, maybe giving it that Victorian flare might redeem it a bit.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
What if the Grookey + Drizzile + Cinderace Pokémon Trainer had a female alt and it included a scottish accent to reference the meme?

Wait, didn't Pokémon Masters did something similar?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Zappa from Chrono Cross is Scottish. Not that he’d be my first choice of characters from the series for Smash but I’ll take any Chrono content I can get. Morag was my second favorite character from Xenoblade 2 so I’d be happy to see her in.

If we extend it to non game characters, I’d gladly take Drew McIntyre or Rowdy Roddy Piper from the WWE in Smash. Not that it’s ever going to happen.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does it? I know the Kalos league and Lumiose City are is France and Ryu’s stage and Saffron city are Japan but I’m not sure about others. I assume Mishima Dojo is also Japan but I’m less familiar with Tekken.
Yep, Mishima Dojo is located in Japan.

You can also argue that Mementos is connected to Tokyo's underground network and therefore "in" Japan.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
Does it? I know the Kalos league and Lumiose City are is France and Ryu’s stage and Saffron city are Japan but I’m not sure about others. I assume Mishima Dojo is also Japan but I’m less familiar with Tekken.
Warioware inc is probably in France

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yep, Mishima Dojo is located in Japan.

You can also argue that Mementos is connected to Tokyo's underground network and therefore "in" Japan.
Yeah I forgot about Mementos. I loved Persona 5 so it’s weird I forgot that one. Any France stages I’m missing beyond the two Kalos stages?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ah crap I forgot about those.

Nevermind what I thought would be a thinly veiled jab at Nintendo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really want to see an aquatic stage and another ice or snow stage. It would be cool to see something with an ancient Egyptian or feudal Japanese inspired setting as well but I’m not sure what games those would come from. There are a lot more options for a feudal Japanese setting in games than ancient Egyptian.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really want to see an aquatic stage as well as another ice stage. It would be cool to see something with an ancient Egyptian or feudal Japanese inspired setting as well but I’m not sure what games those would come from. There are a lot more options for a feudal Japanese setting in games than ancient Egyptian.
another ice stage would be great
maybe there isn’t a lot of games set in ancient Egypt but there’s a lot with pyramids

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really want to see an aquatic stage as well as another ice stage. It would be cool to see something with an ancient Egyptian or feudal Japanese inspired setting as well but I’m not sure what games those would come from. There are a lot more options for a feudal Japanese setting in games than ancient Egyptian.
For Feudal Japan I guess Bowser castle from Mario odyssey could count? Or for a more classic feudal Japan inspired setting Okami representation could work very well. No idea for Ancient Egypt tho.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
another ice stage would be great
maybe there isn’t a lot of games set in ancient Egypt but there’s a lot with pyramids
It’s a shame because that setting has such a cool aesthetic. It would be cool to see more games take inspiration from that. It doesn’t have to be realistic but I’d love to see more fantasy worlds built from that inspiration.

Top Bottom