• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Remember those fanon games in FANDOM where the users make whatever comes from their imagination?
I have worked in a few of these, here's an example:

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Which indie characters have another shot if the next Smash Bros game is announced?
Upcoming Amazon Pandora "Though it seems :4darkpit: still served my purposes In The End. But that little parasite DID steal my powers, & for THAT he must PAY.!!"

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If you ask me, Krystal is in the same situation as Isaac. Both have sizeable support bases, their moveset potential is through the roof, and both have abilities unique to specifically them (Krystal's combination of fantasy and sci-fi weaponry, Isaac's multiple types of earth-based pseudo-magic).

Problem is...neither have been relevant for over a decade. And that's the reason why neither have made it into Smash yet.

But if that changes between now and Smash 6--Star Fox getting a new game that doesn't just retread 64 again, Golden Sun getting a new game or maybe even a remake of the first two--their respective chances skyrocket. Krystal especially, since we know the only reason she didn't get into Brawl was because the devs were pressed for time and Wolf was the easier of the two to make.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
If you ask me, Krystal is in the same situation as Isaac. Both have sizeable support bases, their moveset potential is through the roof, and both have abilities unique to specifically them (Krystal's combination of fantasy and sci-fi weaponry, Isaac's multiple types of earth-based pseudo-magic).

Problem is...neither have been relevant for over a decade. And that's the reason why neither have made it into Smash yet.

But if that changes between now and Smash 6--Star Fox getting a new game that doesn't just retread 64 again, Golden Sun getting a new game or maybe even a remake of the first two--their respective chances skyrocket. Krystal especially, since we know the only reason she didn't get into Brawl was because the devs were pressed for time and Wolf was the easier of the two to make.
That's "A Vibe" tbh bruh

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd think Dark Dawn would be a better situation than K. Rool just being seen in a Mario spinoff in 2008, but K. Rool's demand was admittedly higher than Isaac or Krystal, plus unlike Isaac he didn't need a stage from his series to be made.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly in the case of Ultimate, it's just because of the lack of space + Nintendo's lack of confidence in their older characters as DLC. Like I said, Dixie and Bandana Dee are also much more relevant and popular and they still couldn't get in. The ironic thing is, K. Rool (the most requested Nintendo newcomer of all along with Ridley), Banjo & Kazooie (also a top request, plus third party owned, thus making them prime DLC material) and Dark Samus (got in as a glorified alt costume of Samus) haven't been relevant for over a decade either, but they got in nonetheless.

The only real chance those two and Isaac/Krystal, really most other first party candidates had for Ultimate was if they were able to do Everyone Is Here and do the usual 15 or so unique newcomers for the base game. As it stands, they just weren't going to get in over K. Rool, Ridley, Inkling, Simon, Incineroar and Isabelle, and the only Nintendo characters that have a chance for DLC are the ones from newer games that missed the boat the first time around (:ultcorrin::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra::ultmythra:).

Maybe Krystal could of gotten by as a simple Fox echo, like Dark Samus.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I can imagine that in a few months, Nintendo's YouTube account releases a video about the development cycle of Ultimate, with behind-the-scenes footage and scrapped content in better resolution (like the original concept art of the Battlefield).

Only to discover that this was a "Trojan Horse" to reveal at the end of it four new characters that will be released between 2022-2023.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to rant about Star Fox again. I think I've organized and elaborated my thoughts and justifications some more.

All the first-party series have great untapped potential for further representation it's just a matter of Nintendo taking care of their IP by investing in its future for these IP to be relevant enough to warrant it. Star Fox is one of those IPs that they need to throw AAA money at. A lot of studios have a medieval fantasy open-world series and a sci-fi one because it works. With Zelda clearly being Nintendo's fantasy open-world series there are only 2 candidates for the sci-fi one, those being Star Fox and Metroid. I think either could work but I think Metroid would be harder to pull off and there are other strengths to play to its series such as continuing traditional 2D Metroids, expanding upon the multiplayer and campaigns of 3D Metroid Prime games (taking some cues from Halo) and maybe try the "2.5D" other M was offering just obviously improved upon and without forcing gimmicks. Or even a retro 2D "Metroid Maker" of sorts.

I think Star Fox could be an amazing sci-fi open-world setting that offers unique gameplay opportunities and is a unique approach to the genre with the series being a more colorful (possibly cell-shaded hmmm?) and cartoony take. It also lends itself to a potentially amazing and unique multiplayer that Nintendo hasn't done before on top of that.

I have some thoughts on how you'd bring Star Fox to a mainstream audience as I've elaborated on before. It isn't anything wrong with the Star Fox IP at all. I actually think most Nintendofans are like Miyamoto and want to see the series beloved by the masses but it's Nintendo's awfully restrictive, uninspired, and risk-intolerant approach to the universe that's holding it back. I don't think most people want to play a strict rail-shooter these days. You can acknowledge the series' roots in some way but tieing down the series to a dying genre is what's hurting the game not the strength of the IP itself. There's only so much you can do with a rail-shooter and I think the Kid Icarus series could do better with it but that's an entirely seperate pitch of mine haha.

I think people want to really SEE the Lylat System and engage with it by getting to know the Star Fox cast on a deeper, more narratively story-driven level. I think you already see remnants of this desire with Fox's tragic backstory, Corneria's precarious circumstances and all the dramatic endings of Star Fox Command.

Anyways my ideas on what to do with the Star Fox series assuming it got a AAA budget to shoot for the moon with. A lot of these ideas stem from my experience playing Starlink as the Star Fox team and doing their DLC missions.

• Make the Lylat system "open-world" and thus allow the player to traverse through the solar system in any order they want after the initial start with each planet being open and explorable similar to Witcher 3 destinations
  • Include specific character campaigns for each pilot
  • Bring back Krystal and the two other gals from Star Fox 2 as either their own team or the female half to Star Fox (bench Peppy with ROB) and maybe even include player Star Wolf missions Halo 2 style
  • Fly around in open space finding abandoned ships with loot (similar to Mass Effect) and the other points of interest such as optional side quests
  • When approaching a planet a rail-shooter callback segment begins such as avoiding asteroids, battling drone ships of some sort or even a couple of miniboss fights
  • Customizable ships, gear, weapons and Great Fox decorations
  • Great Fox Hub World similar to Mass Effect
  • Resource gathering to supply your ships, weapons and create custom items such as fast travel warps
  • Building settlements across the Lylat system to defend with the express purpose of expanding upon habitable worlds in the Lylat system with this being your general "background" mission of the entire game. There are multiple settlements throughout the Lylat system and you can build them up to a maximized level which will grant you access to local special items such as guns, ship skins, gear and cosmetics, eventually with the game essentially being "complete" once you beat all the story, side quests, maxed your stats and these settlements and unlocked everything
  • Allow the player to leave the ship to interact with the world for dialogue scenes, activating quests and doing certain missions
  • Maybe even a limited racing segment of gameplay similar what was found in Starlink that could act as a little single-player side-activity
  • Fully voice acting throughout to sell the audience on the Star Fox's series inherent charm and colorfulness

That'd be my pitch to Nintendo. They need to stop feeling entitled to success and actually invest in it. I'm talking throw the kitchen sink at this IP and give it the ultimate chance to prove itself. I don't think any self-respecting gamer could resist this kind of game. Sure it'd be a heavy investment and a risk but I think it's very likely you'd all of a sudden have a new "system seller" on your hands.

I've said before though that once this game was achieved it'd be hard to do anything else with the series but I think a real-time strategy game based on the IP could work very nicely and there are plenty of studios that dedicate themselves to that genre that I'm sure would jump at the chance to develop something for Nintendo. You could also make a dedicated multiplayer game though!

Introducing Star Fox: Battlefront!

• Expansive Multiplayer including dedicated airbattles (think Rogue Squadron or Battlefront air fights)
  • Expansive Multiplayer including Star Fox: Battlefront mode! You play as either a specialized gun-type grunt in the Corernian Army or an evil member of Andross' fledgling empire (maybe the Dinosaurs?) and you fight against each other using your guns in addition to air and land vehicles to secure the objective/points, capture the flag or deplete the oppositional armies numbers and with enough points you can summon a powerful hero character to do combat as until you've been defeated! There'd also be a special mode where all players could play a dedicated hero character for the entire match against each other

I personally think it's a matter of Nintendo needing to acquire some big studios to help themselves out. They have too many great IPs for their current numbers to handle. The fact that the Mario Odyssey team is potentially handling Donkey Kong right now is proof of this I feel like. Donkey Kong and Mario should have their own respective teams.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sakurai playing with fire lmao
And so, the lost soul of Geno returned once more to the purgatory he had been banished to many moons ago, toiling in neglect and forgotteness of his own creators. No friends to comfort him. No enemies to fight him. He was well, and truly, alone in the world...

Hey, that'd make a good fanfic.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Allow me to rant about Star Fox again. I think I've organized and elaborated my thoughts and justifications some more.

All the first-party series have great untapped potential for further representation it's just a matter of Nintendo taking care of their IP by investing in its future for these IP to be relevant enough to warrant it. Star Fox is one of those IPs that they need to throw AAA money at. A lot of studios have a medieval fantasy open-world series and a sci-fi one because it works. With Zelda clearly being Nintendo's fantasy open-world series there are only 2 candidates for the sci-fi one, those being Star Fox and Metroid. I think either could work but I think Metroid would be harder to pull off and there are other strengths to play to its series such as continuing traditional 2D Metroids, expanding upon the multiplayer and campaigns of 3D Metroid Prime games (taking some cues from Halo) and maybe try the "2.5D" other M was offering just obviously improved upon and without forcing gimmicks. Or even a retro 2D "Metroid Maker" of sorts.

I think Star Fox could be an amazing sci-fi open-world setting that offers unique gameplay opportunities and is a unique approach to the genre with the series being a more colorful (possibly cell-shaded hmmm?) and cartoony take. It also lends itself to a potentially amazing and unique multiplayer that Nintendo hasn't done before on top of that.

I have some thoughts on how you'd bring Star Fox to a mainstream audience as I've elaborated on before. It isn't anything wrong with the Star Fox IP at all. I actually think most Nintendofans are like Miyamoto and want to see the series beloved by the masses but it's Nintendo's awfully restrictive, uninspired, and risk-intolerant approach to the universe that's holding it back. I don't think most people want to play a strict rail-shooter these days. You can acknowledge the series' roots in some way but tieing down the series to a dying genre is what's hurting the game not the strength of the IP itself. There's only so much you can do with a rail-shooter and I think the Kid Icarus series could do better with it but that's an entirely seperate pitch of mine haha.

I think people want to really SEE the Lylat System and engage with it by getting to know the Star Fox cast on a deeper, more narratively story-driven level. I think you already see remnants of this desire with Fox's tragic backstory, Corneria's precarious circumstances and all the dramatic endings of Star Fox Command.

Anyways my ideas on what to do with the Star Fox series assuming it got a AAA budget to shoot for the moon with. A lot of these ideas stem from my experience playing Starlink as the Star Fox team and doing their DLC missions.

• Make the Lylat system "open-world" and thus allow the player to traverse through the solar system in any order they want after the initial start with each planet being open and explorable similar to Witcher 3 destinations
  • Bring back Krystal and the two other gals from Star Fox 2 as either their own team or the female half to Star Fox (bench Peppy with ROB) and maybe even include player Star Wolf missions Halo 2 style
  • Fly around in open space finding abandoned ships with loot (similar to Mass Effect) and the other points of interest such as optional side quests
  • When approaching a planet a rail-shooter callback segment begins such as avoiding asteroids, battling drone ships of some sort or even a couple of miniboss fights
  • Resource gathering to supply your ships, weapons and create custom items such as fast travel warps
  • Building settlements across the Lylat system to defend with the express purpose of expanding upon habitable worlds in the Lylat system with this being your general "background" mission of the entire game. There are multiple settlements throughout the Lylat system and you can build them up to a maximized level which will grant you access to local special items such as guns, ship skins, gear and cosmetics, eventually with the game essentially being "complete" once you beat all the story, side quests, maxed your stats and these settlements and unlocked everything
  • Allow the player to leave the ship to interact with the world for dialogue scenes, activating quests and doing certain missions
  • Maybe even a limited racing segment of gameplay similar what was found in Starlink that could act as a little single-player side-activity
  • Fully voice acting throughout to sell the audience on the Star Fox's series inherent charm and colorfulness

That'd be my pitch to Nintendo. They need to stop feeling entitled to success and actually invest in it. I'm talking throw the kitchen sink at this IP and give it the ultimate chance to prove itself. I don't think any self-respecting gamer could resist this kind of game. Sure it'd be a heavy investment and a risk but I think it's very likely you'd all of a sudden have a new "system seller" on your hands.

I've said before though that once this game was achieved it'd be hard to do anything else with the series but I think a real-time strategy game based on the IP could work very nicely and there are plenty of studios that dedicate themselves to that genre that I'm sure would jump at the chance to develop something for Nintendo. You could also make a dedicated multiplayer game though!

• Expansive Multiplayer including dedicated airbattles (think Rogue Squadron or Battlefront air fights)
  • Expansive Multiplayer including Star Fox: Battlefront mode! You play as either a specialized gun-type grunt in the Corernian Army or an evil member of Andross' fledgling empire (maybe the Dinosaurs?) and you fight against each other using your guns in addition to air and land vehicles to secure the objective/points, capture the flag or deplete the oppositional armies numbers and with enough points you can summon a powerful hero character to do combat as until you've been defeated! There'd also be a special mode where all players could play a dedicated hero character for the entire match against each other

I personally think it's a matter of Nintendo needing to acquire some big studios to help themselves out. They have too many great IPs for their current numbers to handle. The fact that the Mario Odyssey team is potentially handling Donkey Kong right now is proof of this I feel like. Donkey Kong and Mario should have their own respective teams.
I agree with parts of this, disagree with other parts.

I do think that Star Fox is an IP with untapped potential and the notoriety of the brand can only reduce the risk factor. I also agree that many people would be highly interested to see more character development/interaction, more lore/world-building, something other than just 64's story recycled over and over, etc. And I agree that a fully on-rails Star Fox is probably not the most self-beneficial direction for the series, although certainly on-rails segments can still be incorporated. Star Fox has seen a mix of flying, driving, submarining, and on-foot missions, meaning it wouldn't even be much of a stretch to see the series go for some genre hybridism. Lastly, you're right that sci-fi doesn't need to be ultra-gritty or realistic to be successful.

I do not, however, necessarily think that "AAA budget" and "make it open-world" are immediate solutions. It would be ultra-important that they get the core gameplay right in the midst of going through such a potentially major genre shift; as such, they might be better served trying something a little more reined-in first, like PKMN did with Legends. Maybe even a mostly-scripted narrative but with the appropriate amount of focus on combat and exploration/adventure to fit their vision for the series. Plus, I don't think just copying a hodge-podge of mechanics from other games is necessarily going to make Star Fox stand out; it might sound great on paper, but Nintendo has always strived to be the inventors rather than just followers of industry trends. I wouldn't want them to short-change Star Fox's potential for original gameplay, whatever that might be.

I do think some of your bulleted ideas could work in different capacities, although I don't know if we're headed for a game that expansive any time soon. Some sort of loop that incorporates all three of open-space, on-foot, and vehicle combat/adventure could definitely be strong, but they need to pick the right balance between having a well-defined core focus/direction and taking advantage of the diverse gameplay options available.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

It should still have a single-player mode, though. Even Splatoon, Nintendo's answer to the competitive shooter genre, has that.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I have a bad feeling that during the State of Play, Sony reveals a sequel of PSASBR, and that Compile Heart out of all developers are making it. That's my biggest fear.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
The way Ultimate was revealed was so unique and unexpected... both times, really.

Who knows if they'll go for that kind of thing again, but probably the most unique thing they could do would be to actually state which characters AREN'T coming back before release date. My personal expectation is still that almost all of the third-party guests will be absent from the launch roster, and slowly added back for $$$$$.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai playing with fire lmao
Funny how just yesterday I was taking a trip through memory lane scrolling through the old Geno support thread and then he tweets this a day later. Hopefully we see Geno and Mallow again one day, whether that's in Smash 6 or SMRPG 2.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I have a bad feeling that during the State of Play, Sony reveals a sequel of PSASBR, and that Compile Heart out of all developers are making it. That's my biggest fear.
There is approximately zero chance of that ever happening, so you don't have to worry lol

Makes me think how Geno trailer can be the same as :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool: where the Geno is showed in the shadow then reveal that it’s just the Geno Mii then the real Geno shows up out of nowhere and use Geno Whirl on him.
If anything, I'd think it would be Mega Man cosplaying as Geno. Two blue colored artifical beings with arm cannons.

Not that it really matters, considering that even if Geno got in, I doubt they'd reuse the K. Rool trailer format (which they only reused for Banjo's trailer because of the Rare connection and to keep costs down).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is completely unrelated, but can we talk about how Sony shut down Japan Studio, only to later use big name Japanese third parties as a selling point for the next State of Play? Way to show where their priorities lie...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For anyone interested, Source Gaming is doing (another) mega Smash poll, mainly asking thoughts about Ultimate and the future. This poll is maybe a bit too long (imo) and the data probably won't be that useful in the big picture, but I'm a sucker for data (especially regarding most-wanted picks).
Cool. I took it. Lemme know when they post the results.

I done voted for:
1646830582246.png

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Advance Wars just has the WORST luck...

(For reference, thd first game released in America the day before 9/11, and was delayed in other regions because of it).

Stratos

Smash Ace
It's been almost 6.5 years since we read about Pikmin 4 and they still haven't released it either because Pikmin Bloom was released a year ago or because they haven't thought about anything about it yet. However, if it is released, I would like there to be white and purple Onions for white and purple Pikmin.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Advance Wars just has the WORST luck...

(For reference, thd first game released in America the day before 9/11, and was delayed in other regions because of it).
Advance Wars... Maybe I've seen it before..?

Stratos

Smash Ace
Most games of the Earthworm Jim have been released on Nintendo consoles, so he should come as a newcomer.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It's an effective angle for that shot, but I can't lie, but my immediate reaction was "Man, when even Sakurai doesn't want to look at Geno's Mii head...".
its true everytime he tweets something related to Geno Mii he refuse to show the Mii face and that tells us something that we might not know regarding the agreement with Square-enix regarding Geno not getting a fully modeled face

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Regarding Pikmin, apart from red, yellow, blue, white, purple, rock and winged, I can not imagine other species.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Official Konami trailer confirms TMNT: Cowabunga Collection is coming to Switch in addition to other platforms. Not really a surprise, as even if Konami wasn't going all in on the system, there's no way Nickelodeon was going to pass up putting Turtles content on the family friendly platform.
I'm not sure if you meant to post this in the social thread. Even if it would be totally bodacious (I think that's the right use of that extremely outdated slang?), I can't see Michelangelo getting into Smash Bros.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, bit of an error on my part, though thinking about the topic does have hoping that Nintendo will some day loosen up the reigns a bit and allow first party interaction with non-video game properties, even if it's not in the venue of Smash.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
For anyone interested, Source Gaming is doing (another) mega Smash poll, mainly asking thoughts about Ultimate and the future. This poll is maybe a bit too long (imo) and the data probably won't be that useful in the big picture, but I'm a sucker for data (especially regarding most-wanted picks).
Took the time to fill it out and only took like half an hour lol. Here's the top 3 I voted for in order
phoenix wright smash bros.jpg heavy smash bros.jpg frisk_4_smash___by_obsessor23_d9sacal-fullview.jpg
its true everytime he tweets something related to Geno Mii he refuse to show the Mii face and that tells us something that we might not know regarding the agreement with Square-enix regarding Geno not getting a fully modeled face
I don't think there was an agreement to not give Geno a fully modeled face I just think there was an agreement to bring back the old Geno costume with minor touch ups. You know... like literally every other mii costume we got from Smash 4? Also this is not the first time Sakurai has taken a shot of a mii while obscuring their face. It's usually so we could pretend the costume is actually the character. I wouldn't read too much into it.
rex mii costume.jpg

Attachments

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Honestly I like your idea, but I think realistically this is just way too ambitious for Star fox. Not every game has to be the huge open world with rpg elements. Nintendo is never going to put the budget to make a Star fox the next Wither or Mass effect.

Tbh I was playing Star wars squadrons last year and that's pretty much what I want from Star fox (although more aracde and more simple to pick up than Squadrons). I just want more open dogfight with cool explosions everywhere. Remove completely the Rail shooter elements because nobody wants that in 2022. Add some multiplayer elements (which Star wars squadrons also have) and some customisations options for your vehicles and I would say you could have a good game without really being THAT ambitious.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
When you think about how much Sakurai had to deal with SE, from just getting Cloud back in base to the three additional characters added this time (counting Sora) with all those additional license holders and stringent mandates, maybe he was spent by the time it came to negotiating a proper head for Geno. xD

Top Bottom