• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Aligo

Smash Ace
As people have said, the establishment and breadth of content give smash the edge.

I think it would be fairly easy to make a mechanically better smash as you can just copy mechanics and remove the worst stuff (mashing the input delay bug, large buffer windows, lack of comp stage variety, Steve and so on and so fourth).

The difficult part is the animation and sound design, as that is a very touch and go thing. Not even Rivals of Aether manages satisfying sound feedback that well, and it is a persistent complaint in non-smash platform fighters. I believe part of melees enduring fame comes from it's excellent and distinct sound repitoire.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, IDK if I'd go THAT far (even as someone who admittedly doesn't like what Sony has become), though thanks to the stuff with the ActiBlizz deal, it HAS brought to light that they probably SHOULD try to focus more on their own IPs: they seem to have put all their eggs into the COD basket.

Which is kinda ironic when you remember that the guys buying ActiBlizz are ALSO a bit notorious for not focusing on their own IPs (albeit in a different sense), but that's besides the point...
Yeah, I'll admit, I probably went too far there.

Still, could you explain what you're trying to say to make it clear? I don't fully understand.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'll admit, I probably went too far there.

Still, could you explain what you're trying to say to make it clear? I don't fully understand.
So you know how Sony's main concern with the ActiBlizz deal is the fact that Microsoft would own Call of Duty as a result? Well, a lot of people in favor of the deal have pointed out that Sony already owns a few FPS series of their own, like Killzone and that one by Insomniac, and that if the deal DOES go through, they should just bring one of those series back and give them the same amount of love they've shown COD (a series they DON'T EVEN OWN) over the past several years. One of the main goals of the buyout is to help MS compete with Sony, so Sony should be willing to actually COMPETE, if that makes any sense.

At least, I THINK that's the main logic people are using for that. I'll admit, there's so much coming from both sides that it's a little hard to keep up...

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I agree when this is referring to existing vets, although for newcomers I am gonna pump the breaks a bit. I think people asking for Marth or Falcon to be cut are an extremely small minority, those two are fan favorites for a reason.
Now, see, I don't get this double standard where people say vets should always come back no matter how irrelevant they become, yet potential newcomers without a recent game are shown the door immediately. Legacy representation should extend equally to both veterans and potential newcomers.

I get trying to be realistic with expectations, and I get that some people have different agendas on here (for instance trying to guess the roster), but also if you don't keep talking about the characters that you'd deep-down like to see then nobody will hear you. Personally I'd rather just root for the characters I'd like to see regardless of likelihood, and if things don't go my way then I trust that I can handle it maturely. I really don't care to root for a character just because it gives me the highest chance of saying I was right at the end.
Again, I get that some people just want to guess the roster. But reinforcing the expected patterns only makes it less likely that Nintendo will recognize that people might also like something else, so I would caution against pushing a speculation scene that is overly likelihood-dominated.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So you know how Sony's main concern with the ActiBlizz deal is the fact that Microsoft would own Call of Duty as a result? Well, a lot of people in favor of the deal have pointed out that Sony already owns a few FPS series of their own, like Killzone and that one by Insomniac, and that if the deal DOES go through, they should just bring one of those series back and give them the same amount of love they've shown COD (a series they DON'T EVEN OWN) over the past several years. One of the main goals of the buyout is to help MS compete with Sony, so Sony should be willing to actually COMPETE, if that makes any sense.

At least, I THINK that's the main logic people are using for that. I'll admit, there's so much coming from both sides that it's a little hard to keep up...
Makes a lot of sense. I mean, part of the reason I thought of what I did about Sony being third party is that there are so many IPs they have, ones they are alienating or let alone to die when they could still use them, you know what I mean? They could give such series they have not used, whether it is first person shooting or family based, more love too.

I mean, at least most of Nintendo's franchises are still used to this day aside from Mario. Why not have Sony do the same with theirs?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Makes a lot of sense. I mean, part of the reason I thought of what I did about Sony being third party is that there are so many IPs they have, ones they are alienating or let alone to die when they could still use them, you know what I mean? They could give such series they have not used, whether it is first person shooting or family based, more love too.

I mean, at least most of Nintendo's franchises are still used to this day aside from Mario. Why not have Sony do the same with theirs?
Because they very clearly dont care about games, they just want to make playable films.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because they very clearly dont care about games, they just want to make playable films.
Heh, it looks like you can say that, and at the same time, not be far from what may be the truth at all. But yeah, this is exactly why I think Sony would be better as a third party now than a console maker, as far out as that may be; especially if they do not care about many of their own properties.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
england not the uk
No, the UK is accurate, especially post-DLC. The Isle of Armor is based on the Isle of Man, and the Crown Tundra is based on the Scottish Highlands.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
It's MasterCheef . He brings up things which has no business being brought up in a video game discussion. He really needs to chill out with that.
umm you all took it much farther than i expected. furthermore most folks here bring up a lot of stuff which is fairly irrelevant. you all are just so used to it you all are not bothered by it

Someone need to checks his controller this is obviously tas.
combat tools and main characters are entirely different. of course a new combat tactic will be advertised. however a character being locked inside a ring to me at least , does not exactly inspre confidence in the continued utility of being called a main character.

what i am much more interested in as far as video games are concerned is the supposed Disney Domination.

the leaked roster mostly put me to sleep. was anyone actually impressed ? a few characters did sound exciting.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
On the topic of Sony, which has found its success in big budget narrative games; call me crazy, but I think Sony should have been third party if that is the case. Sure, they are in the console market now, and they have had great success, but I don't think that even with this success, they are fit anymore to make consoles if they aren't willing to broaden their scope and try to appeal to more than just the people they appeal to now. Even their success can only last so long. It is my opinion, but I am starting to think of Sony as not "console material", anymore for that matter. I could be wrong, but yeah...
I don't think that makes much sense. Sony doesn't have unlimited resources, they can't keep all of their old IPs alive - and that's OK. And the series they are doing right now are really popular and successful. They were certainly interesting enough for me to get a PS5 when I could.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
umm you all took it much farther than i expected. furthermore most folks here bring up a lot of stuff which is fairly irrelevant. you all are just so used to it you all are not bothered by it
It's not just that they're irrelevant. They're also sensitive subjects that shouldn't be brought up in a Smash discussion. I just noticed that you've done this more than once.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
90% sure that leak is fake anyways. It doesn't have the sheer amount of evidence that Multiversus had.
Plus, I heard somewhere that Marvel game licenses are a bit on the complicated side, and as a result they don't show up often in Disney crossover games like Disney Emoji Blitz. For context, that game was even willing to add characters from TITANIC of all things...

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Plus, I heard somewhere that Marvel game licenses are a bit on the complicated side, and as a result they don't show up often in Disney crossover games like Disney Emoji Blitz. For context, that game was even willing to add characters from TITANIC of all things...
Same with Simpsons, since Electronic Arts has the exclusivity of having the video game rights of the programme.
The yellow familly (that started Fox's venue into prime-time cartoons) wasn't featured in the crossovers like the Card game or the Racing game.
Once in a blue moon they give the rights to other publishers, like with LEGO Dimensions or when Arcade 1Up re-released Konami's arcade game.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

combat tools and main characters are entirely different. of course a new combat tactic will be advertised. however a character being locked inside a ring to me at least , does not exactly inspre confidence in the continued utility of being called a main character.

what i am much more interested in as far as video games are concerned is the supposed Disney Domination.

the leaked roster mostly put me to sleep. was anyone actually impressed ? a few characters did sound exciting.
I understand.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think that makes much sense. Sony doesn't have unlimited resources, they can't keep all of their old IPs alive - and that's OK. And the series they are doing right now are really popular and successful. They were certainly interesting enough for me to get a PS5 when I could.
Yeah, I know, but even successes like that can't last forever. I did not say all of their IPs needed to be revived, nor did I mean to say that Sony has unlimited resources. I just think personally that Sony is alienating some of their other IPs, like the family based games, for big budget, movie like games. Again, I don't expect them to go back to all of their IPs, but it would not kill them to revisit old series like, say, Jak and Daxter, for a change.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. I’m just wanting to know which kinds of Gen I-present Pokémon species you have requested from Masahiro Sakurai and other devs for the next future Smash after Ultimate? Why?
I didn't ask for it but I would like to, in case you mean which Pokémon from the first generation I would like to see as a newcomer in future Super Smash Bros. games, I kind of already mentioned Meowth, but I didn't ask for it for one reason, it is because I think they won't accept it. I also already mentioned that too why I wanted Meowth because as I mentioned Pikachu and Meowth were rivals in the Pokémon anime series. Some believe that this should have been done since the first Super Smash Bros. and they are right.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, the UK is accurate, especially post-DLC. The Isle of Armor is based on the Isle of Man, and the Crown Tundra is based on the Scottish Highlands.
well first of all the Isle of Man is part of England. second the UK is 4 countries and galar is barely based on great britain never mind the whole uk. so saying galar is based on the uk is like saying unova is based on the USA when it's just based on new york.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
well first of all the Isle of Man is part of England. second the UK is 4 countries and galar is barely based on great britain never mind the whole uk. so saying galar is based on the uk is like saying unova is based on the USA when it's just based on new york.
Based on the UK ≠ Based on the entirety of the UK

And for that matter, a good portion of western Unova is based on New Jersey as well, so your second statement is also inaccurate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Based on the UK ≠ Based on the entirety of the UK

And for that matter, a good portion of western Unova is based on New Jersey as well, so your second statement is also inaccurate.
oh so that's alright then is it? one country out of 4 gets to be it all and the rest of us get nothing apart from a piddling extra area. and we never will get anything else cause apparently england is just the same as all four of us so just by using that, that's good enough. it doesn't matter that we will never get a full region based on scotland, wales or northern irleland cause england is all that matter isn't it?

galar is based on england nothing else. the crown tundra is barley based on scotland. but no that doens't matter does it. it doesn't matter that the rest of us get ignored as usual as long as england's happy. no wales, no northern ireland, a scottish area with a legendary based on an irish myth. doens't matter cause englands the uk and that's all that matters

and how dare anyone get annoyed at there country get ignored as ever. this one country clearly represents all 4. it’s not like they have their own identity so basing it all n just the one will do it

ahem. you may have touched a nerve there

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
oh so that's alright then is it? one country out of 4 gets to be it all and the rest of us get nothing apart from a piddling extra area. and we never will get anything else cause apparently england is just the same as all four of us so just by using that, that's good enough. it doesn't matter that we will never get a full region based on scotland, wales or northern irleland cause england is all that matter isn't it?

galar is based on england nothing else. the crown tundra is barley based on scotland. but no that doens't matter does it. it doesn't matter that the rest of us get ignored as usual as long as england's happy. no wales, no northern ireland, a scottish area with a legendary based on an irish myth. doens't matter cause englands the uk and that's all that matters
Cool! You can join the Americans that don't live in New York City and Hawaii, we don't really have anything either! Hell, even then, Unova is far looser with it's inspiration than later regions.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Cool! You can join the Americans that don't live in New York City and Hawaii, we don't really have anything either! Hell, even then, Unova is far looser with it's inspiration than later regions.
I never really cared about representation through a Pokémon region. I’d much rather have a fantasy world based in Ultra Space than a realistic depiction of my home state. I mostly play video games to experience fun new worlds and characters so I was never too interested in Pokémon’s regions personally. If they want to keep real world inspirations, I’d love to see a game based on ancient Egypt.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

and how dare anyone get annoyed at there country get ignored as ever. this one country clearly represents all 4. it’s not like they have their own identity so basing it all n just the one will do it

ahem. you may have touched a nerve there
Lmao dude it's a Pokémon game. Don't be weird about it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never really cared about representation through a Pokémon region. I’d much rather have a fantasy world based in Ultra Space than a realistic depiction of my home state. I mostly play video games to experience fun new worlds and characters so I was never too interested in Pokémon’s regions personally. If they want to keep real world inspirations, I’d love to see a game based on ancient Egypt.
I get where you're coming from but I think it's really fun to see different regions based on different parts of the modern world as it shows the Pokemon world as somewhere both developed and in tune with nature.

It's not that ancient settings are bad but I saw the same ones in plenty of other games. Even the way Legends Arceus handled it was interesting because it was based on the Meiji period and we got to see how modernization affects the Pokemon world.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Same. References are nice, but it’s just a game~

It can take from many different areas within the same continent or be mostly based on one part with some unique stuff and it wouldn’t really matter. It’s not ever supposed to take place in the real world. It’s ultimately just references.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Son, he must have foot-stomped your whole central nervous system!
Indeed

it’s not so much about accurate depictions of the countries so much as it is emblematic of the sense that some of us have that everyone outside the UK seems to think that just covering England is good enough. even before gen 8 was announced we all said that if there was a uk based region it’d end up being mostly England. and we were right rather irritatingly. all these world tours and the like just go the England and consider it enough to the point that it felt like a blooming miracle when that Zelda concert came to Glasgow. England is not all of the uk and galar just feels like proof that no one outside of Scotland, wales and Ireland knows

osby

Smash Obsessed
Same. References are nice, but it’s just a game~

It can take from many different areas within the same continent or be mostly based on one part with some unique stuff and it wouldn’t really matter. It’s not ever supposed to take place in the real world. It’s ultimately just references.
Yeah, I think some people take it too seriously. It's mostly a way to make each region feel more distinct and have a clear direction for art and themes.

I remember seeing someone getting angry about some Paldea Pokemon being inspired by Japanese or Chinese stuff or not having enough Portuguese inspirations and it was weird.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
stereotypes make it easier for the masses but, I sympathize. I've been ticked off at some games because of how they portrayed an area or even a character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I get where you're coming from but I think it's really fun to see different regions based on different parts of the modern world as it shows the Pokemon world as somewhere both developed and in tune with nature.

It's not that ancient settings are bad but I saw the same ones in plenty of other games. Even the way Legends Arceus handled it was interesting because it was based on the Meiji period and we got to see how modernization affects the Pokemon world.
That’s fair. I totally get why it appeals to a lot of people. I’ve just always personally preferred fantasy worlds to those based on reality.

Another thing is that I feel a lot of the modern designs for the Pokémon themselves are taking the real world inspiration a bit too literary. I miss the days where we just had cool looking monsters. They always had some references but they used to be more subtle. I don’t really need a soccer player, a rugby player, a secret agent, or most other Pokémon that are too heavily based on a profession. That’s just my personal taste though and there’s nothing wrong with anyone that prefers those designs.

Top Bottom