• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've been thinking about the art styles in games and how the next Smash will "pop" visually. The graphics in Brawl were great imho and personally my favorite. But of course the difference between melee and Brawl is much more obvious than say, Smash 4 to Ultimate. At least to me... But anyway the next game, assuming it's not a deluxe obviously.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
whats your pick if there had to be 1 smash original character just like how Multiversus has Reindog?
i think playable Tabuu would be fitting and unique
Ignoring Giga Bowser or Mii Fighters(who fall under that by Universe), and Mr. Game & Watch, who was literally made for Smash, I wouldn't mind a boss like Galleom or Duon being playable. Or wholesale made again. Tabuu's oddities are with him being a more Boss character.

I mean, we do have one actually playable(briefly) with Master Hand. Let him out for a full thing, even if it's under specific rules.

That said, Giga Bowser should at least be playable as a clone or echo at this point(depending how they make him work. If he's unique, clone. If weight matters for Echo rules, clone. If he's however the same, but bigger and special elements added, Echo is fine too. To clarify, every Echo has the same weight, so it may be a rule that they need to have it).

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
whats your pick if there had to be 1 smash original character just like how Multiversus has Reindog?
i think playable Tabuu would be fitting and unique
If Mii Fighters count, then they're good enough for me.

And since I'm talking about Mii Fighters, does anybody have any idea what is that symbol made up on the jumpsuit for the Mii Brawler? It looks like two creatures (dragons?) on each sides but I can't tell for sure.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
am i the only one who wants :ultfalcon: to actually use his gun in his moveset?
at least as a part of grab throw
Make it a charging storable Back-Special. Captain Falcon takes a two-handed readying position while holding his gun out. Visually it's flame-like similar to his other specials. You can let go of the input but if you jump, roll-out, shield or crouch (it'll be a spotdodge) then Falcon will simply stop charging his shot. If Back-Special is inputted again (or any Special besides Down-Special which will result in a spotdodge) or Jab, Grab are also inputted and also if Tilt-stick is moved before the storing then Falcon will fire a weaker variant depending on the amount of time it was charged. Obviously its most powerful variant will be the full charge and it will be storable allowing Falcon to hold it until he's ready to use it. He doesn't really have to say a Falcon this or that voiceline but I'd call the attack "Falcon Fire" because the attack practically names itself this already. It'd visually be similar to ROB's Neutral-Special with it being a long-beamed bullet that goes a great distance across the stage but I'd make it a good deal weaker and thinner than ROB's Neutral-Special. About 50% as powerful between the two fully charge variants or something like that.

If this is all too much we could just have it basically function like the ray gun item does already and have Falcon shoot a much more simple projectile. I actually see gameplay merits to both approaches. Honestly I've always wanted Falcon to be able to store his Falcon Punch actually so if I could buff this character I'd let him do just that and then opt to go with this more simple approach for a Back-Special.

Would you hire me to write the story?
Sure I guess if you have something in mind then feel free to share. If it's a jab at me taking my hypothetical game concept too seriously then whatever and if it's not then excuse me for my doubts.

I think this is the correct answer though I'd prefer all bosses to return with Tabuu obviously being one of 'em.

So maybe these guys instead.

Primid_-_Brawl_Trophy.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sure I guess if you have something in mind then feel free to share. If it's a jab at me taking my hypothetical game concept too seriously then whatever and if it's not then excuse me for my doubts.
oh. sorry about that i was quoting the wrong message. it was meant to be venus' post above that

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about the art styles in games and how the next Smash will "pop" visually. The graphics in Brawl were great imho and personally my favorite. But of course the difference between melee and Brawl is much more obvious than say, Smash 4 to Ultimate. At least to me... But anyway the next game, assuming it's not a deluxe obviously.
I’d love to see Smash in the style of modern Guilty Gear games and Dragon Ball FighterZ. Something about the way Arc System Works does their shading has always really amazed me. I’m also a huge fan of the style of WarCraft, League of Legends, and Darksiders but I’m not exactly sure what to call that. That would be another interesting style to see Smash go for. I suppose the one thing all of those have in common is that they all appear to be a bit comic-book or manga inspired in some way.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I've read somewhere that Digital Foundry says we shouldn't expect to see Nintendo's next console next year, which probably means we'll have to wait until sometime between 2024 or 2025 at the latest.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I've always said 2025 but at the earliest actually. Nintendo actually might do the 10-year thing like they said which would make the Switch's underpoweredness absolutely insane at that point but whatever.

I mostly predicted a 2025 release because I think Sony and Microsoft will release their pro models in either 2023 or 2024 with myself leaning more on the latter release window. I believe Nintendo likes staying in its own release window for a console moving forward and would rather have their hardware release without competing headlines for other consoles because it allows for them to control the narrative of their console that much easier or "hype" as it were.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To state the obvious argument, Nintendo has no need for a new Switch in 2023 because their software is still doing spectacularly. It shouldn't be a surprise if we don't get a new console next year. For those looking ahead, though, the next tests for the Switch will be seeing how the likes of Fire Emblem and Zelda do, the latter especially. After Pokemon has seemingly brought power/performance concerns a little further into the casual eye (fairly or not; personally I feel it is that particular franchise's shortcomings more than the Switch itself), it will be interesting to see people's reactions to how Nintendo's next big open adventure looks and runs on the aging hardware.

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
Speaking of villains, that brings up something I wanted to talk about.

Here's a list of antagonists we have in Smash.

Bowser
Bowser Jr. + Koopalings
Pirahna Plant
King K. Rool
Ganondorf
Dark Samus
Ridley
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Wolf
Mewtwo
Dark Pit
Wario
Sephiroth
Kazuya

That's 15 characters who could be considered antagonists in their home franchises. Keep in mind, several characters in this list have become heroic (like Meta Knight and King Dedede) or neutral (like Mewtwo, Wario ,and Dark Pit) in recent times. I have some questions for everyone?

1. Without regard to their movesets, echo status, or how their franchise has been treated in Smash, what do you think of the antagonists we have in Smash? Do you think the characters chosen are good? Do any stick out in a bad way?
  2. Do you think 15 antagonists is enough? Are villains/antagonists something that Smash is lacking in?
  3. Which Nintendo antagonists do you think should be in?
  4. What 3rd party antagonists do you think should be in?
  5. Tekken is actually the only franchise that is only represented by a villain. Could any other franchises get away with that?
  6. Protagonists and heroes seem to be Smash's go to characters. What makes an antagonist so special that they should be also included? What gives them that "it" factor?
  7. Of the antagonists we have, the far majority were created in the 80s and 90s. We only have three antagonists created after 2000 (Bowser Jr., Dark Samus and Dark Pit). What recent antagonists should be included (defining recent as after 2000.)
  8. Conversely, what older antagonists should be included?
  9. Are there any franchises where the lack of an antagonist seems strange?
  10. And finally, what are some antagonists that you think are so important/popular/etc to be included but can't feasibly be made playable for whatever reason?
As a fan of bad guys, I want to reply to this for my first post.

1. Yeah, I think the antagonists chosen are good. We have iconic characters that everyone knows. Lesser known but important villains within their franchise. Antagonists who have become good guys. Antagonists who have become anti-heroes. Final bosses, recurring bosses and even common enemies...
We have all kinds of bad guys. I think this is the most important thing.

2. 15 is a nice number. But some iconic villains are still missing. I'll come back to that later.

3. King Boo. Of course, there is a purely personal desire behind this idea. But I sincerely believe that he has a chance to get in.
Luigi's Mansion is a series that is still relevant today and Nintendo continues to exploit it even beyond video games as we can see with the Lego Luigi's Mansion. As long as Nintendo continues to put this series forward (and there's no reason for them to stop), King Boo will always be a relevant character since he's the major antagonist.

4. Dr Eggman. He's like the second most famous video games villains of all times. He should be a priority in the next Smash game.

5. Danganronpa with Monokuma, since he's the mascot of that franchise.

6. I think that a good villains always make things more iconic. In video games (especially with final bosses), they are the ones who give the game and the protagonists a reason to exist. Without villains, there's no heroes. They are as important as their arch enemy.

7. Same answer as 3.

8. Same answer as 4.

9. I think Dr Eggman is really too important to just be absent. I always used to see him when Sonic is around.

10. Mother Brain. A boss would be cool though.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I’d love to see Smash in the style of modern Guilty Gear games and Dragon Ball FighterZ. Something about the way Arc System Works does their shading has always really amazed me. I’m also a huge fan of the style of WarCraft, League of Legends, and Darksiders but I’m not exactly sure what to call that. That would be another interesting style to see Smash go for. I suppose the one thing all of those have in common is that they all appear to be a bit comic-book or manga inspired in some way.

In art-style or gameplay?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Without regard to their movesets, echo status, or how their franchise has been treated in Smash, what do you think of the antagonists we have in Smash? Do you think the characters chosen are good? Do any stick out in a bad way?
The current selection is solid.

Do you think 15 antagonists is enough? Are villains/antagonists something that Smash is lacking in?
No. Yes.

Which Nintendo antagonists do you think should be in?
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
e. Black Knight [Ike]
e. Octolings [Inklings]

What 3rd party antagonists do you think should be in?
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
Wesker [Resident Evil]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Firebrand [Gargoyle's Quest]
e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
e. Shadow [Sonic]
e. Bass [Megaman]

Tekken is actually the only franchise that is only represented by a villain. Could any other franchises get away with that?
SoulCalibur
Gargoyle's Quest
Mortal Kombat
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo

Of the antagonists we have, the far majority were created in the 80s and 90s. We only have three antagonists created after 2000 (Bowser Jr., Dark Samus and Dark Pit). What recent antagonists should be included (defining recent as after 2000.)
Nightmare
Vergil
Majima
Shadow
Octolings

Conversely, what older antagonists should be included?
King Hippo
M. Bison
Firebrand
Bass

Are there any franchises where the lack of an antagonist seems strange?
Any series that has identifiable villains, and makes it to 3 characters without one of them being a villain.

I think only FE currently qualifies.

And finally, what are some antagonists that you think are so important/popular/etc to be included but can't feasibly be made playable for whatever reason?
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]

...should all be included, but make more sense as Bosses than Fighters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’d love to see Smash in the style of modern Guilty Gear games and Dragon Ball FighterZ. Something about the way Arc System Works does their shading has always really amazed me.
Gonna be completely honest here...

Any 2D Japanese fighting game that's ISN'T doing the ArcSys thing with it's graphics at this point...is ****ing up.

KoF15? You ****ed up!
SamSho? You ****ed up!
SF6? You ****ed up!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Any 2D Japanese fighting game that's ISN'T doing the ArcSys thing with it's graphics...is ****ing up.
I really want to see a similar style for many JRPG’s as well, especially any that are trying to go for an anime aesthetic like Tales of, Dragon Quest, or Xenoblade. I think Persona has a great style already but I don’t think it’s quite on par with Guilty Gear visually.

Have you seen the concept trailer for the League of Legends fighting game? That one seems to have a great style already in my opinion, possibly on par with Guilty Gears from what little I’ve seen so far.

Here’s a new gameplay trailer to show what I’m talking about:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I really want to see a similar style for many JRPG’s as well, especially any that are trying to go for an anime aesthetic like Tales of, Dragon Quest, or Xenoblade.
Goddamn, if a Chrono Trigger remake looked like DBFZ, I'd rupture my nuts.

Have you seen the concept trailer for the League of Legends fighting game?
It's trying to look like Arcane, and does.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

It's trying to look like Arcane, and does.
I agree. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games ever and I love ArcSys Work’s style. It has already shown to work great with Toriyama’s characters and style thanks to FighterZ.

Heck, it could even work great for a Final Fantasy VII game if the graphics were trying to capture the original anime style character art from the first game.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know a lot of people expect a Chrono Trigger remake to be another HD-2D styled one, but with how significant that game is, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it the FF7R treatment, and if they went that route then those would be a good point of reference for the graphics...

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Either do HD-2D or ArcSys for Chrono Trigger. I don't see the point in spending a ton of resources on an FFVII Remake type dealio for Chrono Trigger.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know a lot of people expect a Chrono Trigger remake to be another HD-2D styled one, but with how significant that game is, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it the FF7R treatment, and if they went that route then those would be a good point of reference for the graphics...
I really don’t want to see realistic Chrono Trigger designs. I don’t think it worked out too great in Jump Force. I’m one of the few people that would have rather seen an anime style based on the original Nomura art for the FFVII rather than the realistic style they used for it and Advent Children. I still really enjoyed FFVII Remake and the graphics are impressive, just not what my ideal game would have looked like.

The HD-2D style of Octopath Traveller would be awesome to see in remakes of older Final Fantasy games, particularly FFVI. I think that style is perfect for what those games were going for.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I really don’t want to see realistic Chrono Trigger designs. I don’t think it worked out too great in Jump Force. I’m one of the few people that would have rather seen an anime style based on the original Nomura art for the FFVII rather than the realistic style they used for it and Advent Children. I still really enjoyed FFVII Remake and the graphics are impressive, just not what my ideal game would have looked like.
I meant the DBFZ graphics: ain't no way they can make Toriyama's artstyle realistic yet not ugly.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I've read somewhere that Digital Foundry says we shouldn't expect to see Nintendo's next console next year, which probably means we'll have to wait until sometime between 2024 or 2025 at the latest.
2025 is a safer bet, especially given the current supply side issues on chips. It likely will be expensive to make the Super Nintendo Switch and have a big launch in 2024 with the current issues.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m perfectly happy to wait until 2025 personally. I have a huge backlog of games I bought but never really had time to play. That might actually give me a chance to at least partially get caught up. Plus, I’m still having fun with Smash Ultimate modding, which will be a lot more difficult on a newer console. Games like Xenoblade 3 are still really impressive so I’m not really in a huge rush for better hardware at the moment. My only real problem with the Switch is the controller drift. I went through 4 Pro controllers before I gave up and bought an adapter to use my PS4 controllers. I’m weird though because I’d personally still be happy if we never moved on from PS2 and GameCube graphics.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My thinking is still 2024. Late in the year, likely for the holiday season, but still then. Gives the Switch about 12-16 months of a strong presence before possibly winding down. Part of me is wondering if that's when we'll see the last of the Wii U ports for the system, stuff like WW/TW HD and a Switch version of Xenoblade X to effectively give the system major games while the thrust of internal teams work on the next console.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Either do HD-2D or ArcSys for Chrono Trigger. I don't see the point in spending a ton of resources on an FFVII Remake type dealio for Chrono Trigger.
I would say doing the ArcSys thing for a game the size of Chrono Trigger would be a pretty sizable investment.

But yeah, CT without Toriyama art isn't CT.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Interestingly enough we have seen an SNES Square RPG remade into 3D already with Trials of Mana, which was entirely faithful to the spirit of the original, albeit without much pop of its own.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Any 2D Japanese fighting game that's ISN'T doing the ArcSys thing with it's graphics at this point...is ****ing up.

KoF15? You ****ed up!
SamSho? You ****ed up!
SF6? You ****ed up!
That's where I'll direct you to Melty Blood Type Lumina and say you're wrong.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Speaking of villains, that brings up something I wanted to talk about.

Here's a list of antagonists we have in Smash.

Bowser
Bowser Jr. + Koopalings
Pirahna Plant
King K. Rool
Ganondorf
Dark Samus
Ridley
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Wolf
Mewtwo
Dark Pit
Wario
Sephiroth
Kazuya

That's 15 characters who could be considered antagonists in their home franchises. Keep in mind, several characters in this list have become heroic (like Meta Knight and King Dedede) or neutral (like Mewtwo, Wario ,and Dark Pit) in recent times. I have some questions for everyone?

1. Without regard to their movesets, echo status, or how their franchise has been treated in Smash, what do you think of the antagonists we have in Smash? Do you think the characters chosen are good? Do any stick out in a bad way?
  2. Do you think 15 antagonists is enough? Are villains/antagonists something that Smash is lacking in?
  3. Which Nintendo antagonists do you think should be in?
  4. What 3rd party antagonists do you think should be in?
  5. Tekken is actually the only franchise that is only represented by a villain. Could any other franchises get away with that?
  6. Protagonists and heroes seem to be Smash's go to characters. What makes an antagonist so special that they should be also included? What gives them that "it" factor?
  7. Of the antagonists we have, the far majority were created in the 80s and 90s. We only have three antagonists created after 2000 (Bowser Jr., Dark Samus and Dark Pit). What recent antagonists should be included (defining recent as after 2000.)
  8. Conversely, what older antagonists should be included?
  9. Are there any franchises where the lack of an antagonist seems strange?
  10. And finally, what are some antagonists that you think are so important/popular/etc to be included but can't feasibly be made playable for whatever reason?
1. Yes and no. On an individual case basis it varies. Also I wouldnt call any of the Kirby characters villains.
2. I wouldnt say its lacking overall but if you want to fully represent a series in a crossover game like this you need the hero, the partner, and the rival. Most franchises got the first two but some are missing the third.
3. See below
4. Diablo. I think it would be funny to put in what is blatantly Satan in kids party game.
5. Again Diablo. The player characters are nameless classes.
6. Moveset and personality.
7. Raven Beak and Hades could be easy fits. And Malos because he is the best New Nintendo villain but I'd argue his moveset is lacking.
8. Porky is a spiteful little **** and I'd love to see him continue to harass Ness and Lucas. If Captain Falcon was designed as a Sentai hero, I'd love to see what Black Shadow could be like as a Sentai villain. Also Dark Matter as an actual Eldritch Kirby villain.
9. Fire Emblem. With the number of characters it does have not having a villain is odd. Black Knight couldve been a Ike echo. And Robin couldve gotten a new final Smash based off Grima becoming the villain of the series. And Edelgard couldve been the Three House's rep. But nope.
10. Dr Eggman. There have been 2 Sonic based fighting games and he was relegated to a boss in both of them. The guy also wouldn't be fun to play as, and yes I am using Sonic Adventure 2, his first and only playable appearance in the main series as a reference point where he (and Tails) were the worst playstyle in that game due to being big, slow, clunky and unwieldy. Hes better served as a boss fight.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem. With the number of characters it does have not having a villain is odd. Black Knight couldve been a Ike echo. And Robin couldve gotten a new final Smash based off Grima becoming the villain of the series. And Edelgard couldve been the Three House's rep. But nope.
Sorry to get hung up on this but the first two points got debunked so many times here before. Black Knight's design wouldn't fit Ike's more athletic animations and altering Robin's FS from one of their game's big themes into someone they never want to become would be a terrible change.

Also, Edelgard is not the villain of Three Houses, that changes depending on which route you play.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Sorry to get hung up on this but the first two points got debunked so many times here before. Black Knight's design wouldn't fit Ike's more athletic animations and altering Robin's FS from one of their game's big themes into someone they never want to become would be a terrible change.

Also, Edelgard is not the villain of Three Houses, that changes depending on which route you play.
Respectfully going to agree to disagree.

Regardless the point still stands. Its wierd that FE doesn't have a villain character despite its roster count.

Good Night !

Smash Rookie
Edelgard is not THE villain of Three Houses, but she serves as an antagonist for almost all routes. Due to her role, I consider her more as a villain than anything else.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Way later, here’s my Smash Bros Ultimate DX additions! Yes.

1) ExciteBiker (ExciteBike)
2) Ray (Custom Robo)
3) Isaac (Golden Sun
4) Rhythm Troupe (Rhythm Heaven) [the girl’s the main fighter, but you also see the monkey, Marshal, and a lot of cameos]
5) Space Invaders
6) Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
7) Crash Bandicoot
8) Master Chief (Halo)

Split between Nintendo and third parties, and all brand new series, because that’s what I prefer to see. Your mileage may vary.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Respectfully going to agree to disagree.

Regardless the point still stands. Its wierd that FE doesn't have a villain character despite its roster count.
It's really not that weird.

Pokemon also has a lot of characters and its only antagonistic character is Mewtwo, whose villainous qualities are only present in the anime.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Local Live a Live enjoyer here. More 2D-HD would be appreciated. 2D-HD Super Mario RPG? Smashboards in shambles! Muh relevancy destroyed!
If they remake SMRPG, I'd much rather they just made it look like a Paper Mario game, to bring it in line with the rest of the Mario RPG series.

That's where I'll direct you to Melty Blood Type Lumina and say you're wrong.
I'm not though. Because the ArcSys games look infinitely better than that. Ergo, they ****ed up.

Although, in Melty Blood's case, they might not have the resources to do that. Because, well, it's Melty Blood.

Pokemon also has a lot of characters and its only antagonistic character is Mewtwo, whose villainous qualities are only present in the anime.
But...it still HAS 1 though.

FE is the only franchise with 3+ characters that doesn't have a villain.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's really not that weird.

And actually heel-face turned at the end of said movie, while being one of the good guys in its return movie. Though I think by Melee both movies were out, so it'd only have been a more straight villain in Smash 64, even if it's just one media piece. And a temporary villain in that context too.

Ironic how King Dedede was a villain far more yet still also has heroic qualities in general. Though I could imagine Mewtwo being on the villains' sides in the SSE too if it was in Brawl. It is very easy to justify the concept, even if the motives are a little harder to do. I mean, Wario's the opposite. He's mainly a good guy now, but his greed makes him easy to justify what side he's in.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If they remake SMRPG, I'd much rather they just made it look like a Paper Mario game, to bring it in line with the rest of the Mario RPG series.

I'm not though. Because the ArcSys games look infinitely better than that. Ergo, they ****ed up.

Although, in Melty Blood's case, they might not have the resources to do that. Because, well, it's Melty Blood.

But...it still HAS 1 though.

FE is the only franchise with 3+ characters that doesn't have a villain.
I’d personally they go for something closer to a claymation look for a remake of Super Mario RPG like with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. I think that style fits what the original was going for and could be really visually impressive with today’s technology. I was never really the biggest fan of Paper Mario’s aesthetics. The claymation style would still fit in with the whole hand crafted vibe that the Mario RPGs are going for while still doing its own thing and not just copying Paper Mario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom