• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ballot or no ballot, I would be shocked if Waluigi isn't playable next time. He's by far the most popular first-party, very recognizable, and he's a rarity in that he's one of the few remaining first-parties to be popular among the supercasual, average gamer, and hardcore Smash fan alike.

Ooh boy. I know it is just one poll, but given the current results, Waluigi might not even be making top ten on the Smash Community Character Corral for want after Part 2 finishes. He got a good score, but you would be surprised. I do think he has one of the most vocal support bases, but I would not say automatically he is the most popular first party or that he is a lock by any means.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well here's a question for you all.

Which first parties do you think could become the K. Rool/Ridley of the next game? Which first parties will have overwhelming popularity?

Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee and Isaac all stick out to me but other than that... maybe Dixie Kong?

Quillion

Smash Hero

Which first parties do you think could become the K. Rool/Ridley of the next game? Which first parties will have overwhelming popularity?

Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee and Isaac all stick out to me but other than that... maybe Dixie Kong?
I can't really say there'll be any on K. Rool/Ridley's level ever again.

Those two were genuine main characters of their series, and those franchises had at least somewhat recent releases near that time.

The main characters for the currently represented franchises are all accounted for more-or-less, so I don't see it ever happening again. BWD is the closest, but he's in an "Impa" like position of serving not quite a plot-relevant main character role nor a side character role.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Easiest bet imo is Bandana Dee, just because out of the three he is in by far the best position going forward. He does not have nearly as much competition as Waluigi does and he has a more active future so far than Isaac. People also love to support a winner as well. IMO, he is by far the most likely out of those three. I do think Waluigi and Isaac have a decent shot tho.

Outside of those three, there are a few decent character picks. I think there is a fever pitch for a Zelda newcomer, but there are a lot of strong picks for that beyond just Skull Kid. Dixie Kong is popular here, but I do feel she tends to do better here than out in the broader community. I could see a ton of support pour out for another Splatoon character with how well that series is doing. I do think it is very realistic that no first party will ever have that level of a stranglehold on speculation again though, in no small part due to how open it is now.

I think there are quite a few third parties though that also are in that discussion for wide reaching fan favorite picks. For a short list of the ones that I think would be relevant for a "fan favorite" discussion: Crash, Master Chief, Dovakhin, Dante, Lloyd Irving, Shantae, an Undertale/Deltarune character, Rayman, and Ryu Hayabusa all come to mind easily for that discussion.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

Ooh boy. I know it is just one poll, but given the current results, Waluigi might not even be making top ten on the Smash Community Character Corral for want after Part 2 finishes. He got a good score, but you would be surprised. I do think he has one of the most vocal support bases, but I would not say automatically he is the most popular first party or that he is a lock by any means.
He's absolutely the most popular first-party. If you're just looking at what message boards say, you've bubbled yourself.

Yeah it's those three. And Dixie, if and when DK gets that game. And she's in it.

Ashley used to be up at the beginning of Ultimate but her support seemed to literally go extinct after she was deconfirmed.

And then there's characters who will become massive again if they have a game to springboard them, i.e. Krystal, Lyn, Skull Kid, Takamaru, etc. Though Skull Kid might just return anyway because his popularity, uniquely, comes in waves. Though that also depends on the cast within TotK.

But yeah. Right now it's probably Waluigi, Isaac and BWD.

Isaac is probably the closest comparison though given Waluigi and BWD actually have regular appearances, while Isaac's support has built itself into a self-sustaining engine despite the dormancy, like K. Rool, Geno, Banjo, and, to a lesser extent, Ridley.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
ImWell if you go a step back and just look at "surprise character", there are a lot of options.
Except not really. To quote;

"Sakurai selected Piranha Plant because a game full of protagonists and major players isn’t terribly interesting. A lineup full of plain-old heroes is boring." That leaves out a ton of possible characters, regardless of the surprise factor. Waluigi(for an example) is an odd case as he does have some bigger roles in games(including starting the plot of at least one spin-off), but he was probably not even thought on anyway since early DLC began conceptual ideas in 2017, as he already has a clear base game role. It's not till the Second Pass where in-game roles no longer had any real relevance(hence why it was easy to choose Min Min, as well as Mythra/Pyra). ...There's also Bandanna Waddle Dee, who would've never had a chance for that spot, since he's a heroic character. But yeah, as I said before, being a surprise wasn't the whole point. It's part of the role, but the full reasoning is far more deep than that.

Though the most likely other scenario is we wouldn’t have gotten a DLC character before the first pass anyway.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
He's absolutely the most popular first-party. If you're just looking at what message boards say, you've bubbled yourself.
Even outside of the poll, which I will stress did reach beyond just this board, Waluigi has had a bit of a controversial history as of late. I think the energy of fan demand for him might have soured people's opinions on him. The three most common scores for instance on my poll were flat 1s, flat 10s, and 5s. From what I have seen "in the wild" post that one twitter storm in 2018, that seems to hold as well. Waluigi has a very strong, very loud fanbase, but it is not a universal beloved nature that you would expect from the most requested first party period.

Is Waluigi popular? Sure, but just shutting discussion down when there is clearly evidence that suggests that he is not the wide reaching, fan demand giant that you claim he is aint it chief.

It also does not change that on the popularity poll as of last night when I did some math for the current scores, Waluigi will probably be missing out on top 10 for want when we are finishing up Part 2.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Except not really. The character slot was meant to a non-hero and unexpected. Being a surprise alone was not the purpose of the slot used. Hence, no Bandanna Waddle Dee, as he wasn’t even close to the purpose. But the choice seems to be under “fairly well known” too, so that still lessens it a lot. Shy Guy actually fits, but so would someone like Waluigi, heh.

Though the most likely other scenario is we wouldn’t have gotten a dlc character before the pass anyway.
Ok, pretend I said unexpected instead of surprise, then. They're... pretty close.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok, pretend I said unexpected instead of surprise, then. They're... pretty close.
Read my edited post, please. I typed the old one on mobile and should've waited, so apologies for that. It's an entirely different situation. They have to be non-heroic and a non-major character. Whoever it is happens to also be a pretty big surprise due to that(even if they're iconic). The "surprise" bit in the end was ultimately fairly minor compared to who was chosen.

In the end, it's the first surprise character who actually had a lot more specifics to who was chosen. Not just simply being unexpected. Thus, you're not going to find more than some kind of enemy or minor boss at best, or even a general NPC who didn't matter but was iconic. The choices are a lot slimmer with the criteria intended for that slot(which isn't a bad thing). As I said, the most likely other option was... nothing.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Even outside of the poll, which I will stress did reach beyond just this board, Waluigi has had a bit of a controversial history as of late. I think the energy of fan demand for him might have soured people's opinions on him. The three most common scores for instance on my poll were flat 1s, flat 10s, and 5s. From what I have seen "in the wild" post that one twitter storm in 2018, that seems to hold as well. Waluigi has a very strong, very loud fanbase, but it is not a universal beloved nature that you would expect from the most requested first party period.

Is Waluigi popular? Sure, but just shutting discussion down when there is clearly evidence that suggests that he is not the wide reaching, fan demand giant that you claim he is aint it chief.

It also does not change that on the popularity poll as of last night when I did some math for the current scores, Waluigi will probably be missing out on top 10 for want when we are finishing up Part 2.
If you're looking at off-season popularity polls of a character who was deconfirmed the entirety of Ultimate to gauge the overall appeal of a fan favorite Mario character you're actively within the bubble.

This guy trended and got headlines just because a weird render of him came out. He's the only character who spent the entire time shackled by deconfirmation who, despite that, remained popular and somewhat still entertained from beginning to end.

I'm not saying he's the most popular Nintendo character, but honestly, who the **** is left? BWD? That character also lacks being universally beloved... a lot of people just see it as a waddle dee with a bandana and don't "get" it. And even if BWD did perform better than Waluigi within the fanbase (which I guess we'll see once the cycle actually restarts), that's not going to carry to just general gamers, nor is he going to hold near the same amount of cache with casuals. BWD also, fwiw, has the huge obstacle of Sakurai himself and how he treats the Kirby series.

Isaac isn't generally more popular than Isabelle, despite what the polls would've told you.

So I would agree with you if there was any kind of notable competition within the first-party race, but there isn't. I can't quantify the silent majority, all I can tell you is a popular supporting Mario character means a lot more than a popular supporting Kirby character in the wider circles.

And if any character is going to be tainted by the energy of his fan demand, it's Geno. And he probably won't be, in the long run. Popular characters are bigger than their worst supporters. Ridley endured, didn't he.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
If you're looking at off-season popularity polls of a character who was deconfirmed the entirety of Ultimate to gauge the overall appeal of a fan favorite Mario character you're actively within the bubble.

This guy trended and got headlines just because a weird render of him came out. He's the only character who spent the entire time shackled by deconfirmation who, despite that, remained popular and somewhat still entertained from beginning to end.

I'm not saying he's the most popular Nintendo character, but honestly, who the **** is left? BWD? That character also lacks being universally beloved... a lot of people just see it as a waddle dee with a bandana and don't "get" it. And even if BWD did perform better than Waluigi within the fanbase (which I guess we'll see once the cycle actually restarts), that's not going to carry to just general gamers, nor is he going to hold near the same amount of cache with casuals. BWD also, fwiw, has the huge obstacle of Sakurai himself and how he treats the Kirby series.

Isaac isn't generally more popular than Isabelle, despite what the polls would've told you.

So I would agree with you if there was any kind of notable competition within the first-party race, but there isn't. I can't quantify the silent majority, all I can tell you is a popular supporting Mario character means a lot more than a popular supporting Kirby character in the wider circles.

And if any character is going to be tainted by the energy of his fan demand, it's Geno. And he probably won't be, in the long run. Popular characters are bigger than their worst supporters. Ridley endured, didn't he.
You are not saying Geno has a chance of getting in a future Smash game, despite his fans, right?

I ask because I have my doubts.

But yeah, I can see Waluigi getting into the next Smash. I mean, the guy you were talking to apparently did not search well enough about his popularity. I recall he was not that popular in the days of Brawl. So much has changed since then.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Putting aside the possibility of a ballot officially gauging it, I'd rather see character picks based on recurrent appearances and marketing prominence over a measure as prone to myopia as popularity.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
You are not saying Geno has a chance of getting in a future Smash game, despite his fans, right?

I ask because I have my doubts.

But yeah, I can see Waluigi getting into the next Smash. I mean, the guy you were talking to apparently did not search well enough about his popularity. I recall he was not that popular in the days of Brawl. So much has changed since then.
I'm just saying the bad taste the Geno fanbase left in the mouths of the rest of the fanbase probably won't hinder him from still being a popular choice next time. That's my guess, at any rate.

I don't think highly popular characters can get permanently ruined by an obnoxious fanbase. Usually what happens is people just hold it against that fanbase. The Geno fanbase itself was fine from like... Brawl til 2019-ish, and then became hard to handle for a year or two. If next time they're a bit more tempered, some people are still going to hold that blip of mania against them.

Look at the Waluigi fanbase. What, Sakurai got sent death threats by I think, two people? That means that 99.99999999% of the Waluigi fanbase didn't do that, but they all get thrown under the bus. It's unfortunate, but, luckily, it doesn't stop the popularity.

Read my edited post, please. I typed the old one on mobile and should've waited, so apologies for that. It's an entirely different situation. They have to be non-heroic and a non-major character. Whoever it is happens to also be a pretty big surprise due to that(even if they're iconic). The "surprise" bit in the end was ultimately fairly minor compared to who was chosen.

In the end, it's the first surprise character who actually had a lot more specifics to who was chosen. Not just simply being unexpected. Thus, you're not going to find more than some kind of enemy or minor boss at best, or even a general NPC who didn't matter but was iconic. The choices are a lot slimmer with the criteria intended for that slot(which isn't a bad thing). As I said, the most likely other option was... nothing.
I think being unexpected is an implicit requisite along with being a non-hero when comparing PP to G&W, ROB, and DH, which Sakurai did. Not the least of which is because in Smash 4, he did refer to DH as "this game's surprise character" or something along those lines. So there is some degree of him walking back his words, which he does from time to time.

Nevertheless, however you want to define it, being a mook isn't a mandate of fitting the G&W/ROB/DH/PP niche, so I stand by saying the options wouldn't be limited by that factor.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm just saying the bad taste the Geno fanbase left in the mouths of the rest of the fanbase probably won't hinder him from still being a popular choice next time. That's my guess, at any rate.

I don't think highly popular characters can get permanently ruined by an obnoxious fanbase. Usually what happens is people just hold it against that fanbase. The Geno fanbase itself was fine from like... Brawl til 2019-ish, and then became hard to handle for a year or two. If next time they're a bit more tempered, some people are still going to hold that blip of mania against them.

Look at the Waluigi fanbase. What, Sakurai got sent death threats by I think, two people? That means that 99.99999999% of the Waluigi fanbase didn't do that, but they all get thrown under the bus. It's unfortunate, but, luckily, it doesn't stop the popularity.
I see. Still, the Geno fanbase was seemingly unwilling to listen to reason, and they thought incorrectly that Geno had a lot going for him. Even if Sakurai did want in in Brawl, which I am not sure of, things do change from 2008 and 2013 and 2018-2021, between Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate respectively. Whatever the case, I have doubts that they will be tempered next time. They may be a little, but I do not see much improvement happening. And don't even get me started on that one guy who said he would be in.

What did Geno have going for him, anyway?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
BWD might come down to the Japanese fanbase being active enough for Nintendo and/or Sakurai to finally relent and make him playable.

Dixie feels entirely dependent on if she gets a decent role in the next mainline game (and if the franchise actually becomes something resembling active again).

Impa is hard to say, as the LoZ series is often in flux, and it feels like they've gone out of their way to not venture outside the Triforce Trio for selections.

It feels like Isaac's best chance is as a surprise/quasi-retro fighter for the base game.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I see. Still, the Geno fanbase was seemingly unwilling to listen to reason, and they thought incorrectly that Geno had a lot going for him. Even if Sakurai did want in in Brawl, which I am not sure of, things do change from 2008 and 2013 and 2018-2021, between Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate respectively. Whatever the case, I have doubts that they will be tempered next time. They may be a little, but I do not see much improvement happening. And don't even get me started on that one guy who said he would be in.

What did Geno have going for him, anyway?
I like to believe that without the influence of some factors they will be easier to handle next time, but that's a distant hypothetical at this point. No point thinking too hard about it.

The only thing Geno really has going for him is his very high demand online. All the other stuff is extraneous. It will remain a question of whether that high but very specific and, frankly, nonrepresentative popularity makes him a more desirable inclusion than other, much bigger options from the third-party/SE pool.

So far it hasn't, and it very well may continue to not.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I was thinking about the World Tour mode from Street Fighter 6, and it got me thinking; what if World of Light had a similar mode where you run around freely on the overworld, and the sub-areas were more like a map?
I don't think there's an issue with the way the world map is. World of Light I think just needed more than only Spirit Battles. I honestly wouldn't mind some platforming sections where you fight against enemies like Goombas, Stalfos, Axe Armors, etc. If it was mainly Spirit Battles with some platforming sections, like with Cuphead, I think that would've made World of Light more fun.

• I think Waluigi would be more akin to Ridley than King K.Rool. Nintendo and Sakurai knew about Ridley's popularity whereas King K. Rool's popularity in the Smash Ballot legitimately surprised them, although they quickly understood why he was wanted, with the way K.Rool was revealed by showcasing the other Nintendo villains before his reveal. And they certainly know about Waluigi's popularity and want at this point.
  • Bandana Dee is probably a case of, they know he's wanted, but they either don't see him as a high priority or the demand for him is not high enough to make him a high priority.
  • For Isaac, we probably won't know his popularity until he becomes a character. We assume he was added back as an Assist Trophy because he scored decently high on the Ballot, where we also assume the same for Krystal, but we honestly don't know where he ended up on the Ballot. Do I think he's high on the chance of becoming a character next Smash? Yeah, I think he's high up there. Will he happen? We don't know for sure.
  • Dixie is definitely a big maybe, if only because we don't know where she ends up on the demand scale. Her best bet would probably be if a Donkey Kong Country game with her comes out.
The character who fits more with King K. Rool would be Geno, as Geno's popularity was apparently acknowledged by Nintendo and Square and they were very confused on why. Well, we figured out somewhat why because Sakurai talked about wanting Geno as early as Brawl, so the developer wanting him probably kick started alot of the train behind him.
Some other possibilities include wanting Super Mario RPG to be acknowledged as there is a notable fanbase for it, and another possibility would be the misconception about Smash Bros. helping out series get new games, with Fire Emblem coming to the West after Melee and Kid Icarus getting a new game after Brawl. Some people probably think, "If we show demand for Geno in Smash, maybe that'll get them to make a new Super Mario RPG." when that's honestly not the case.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Next Smash should have bwd and waluigi. And....

Dunno. Mind went blank after thinking Krystal and then hearing a train horn go off in my head.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't think there's an issue with the way the world map is. World of Light I think just needed more than only Spirit Battles. I honestly wouldn't mind some platforming sections where you fight against enemies like Goombas, Stalfos, Axe Armors, etc. If it was mainly Spirit Battles with some platforming sections, like with Cuphead, I think that would've made World of Light more fun.
Yeah, that works, too. Or maybe making platforming levels entirely separate from the Spirit Battles.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
What is considered as a "Retro Fighter"?
They're mostly Nintendo-owned characters from one-shot games on the NES/GB/SNES eras, but there are people that says that a Retro Fighter can be from the N64, GBA, or even the GameCube and the DS as well.
It is even considered that even if it has multiple entries like Excitebike 64 or ExciteTrucks?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I like to believe that without the influence of some factors they will be easier to handle next time, but that's a distant hypothetical at this point. No point thinking too hard about it.

The only thing Geno really has going for him is his very high demand online. All the other stuff is extraneous. It will remain a question of whether that high but very specific and, frankly, nonrepresentative popularity makes him a more desirable inclusion than other, much bigger options from the third-party/SE pool.

So far it hasn't, and it very well may continue to not.
Thank you for mentioning the other Square Enix characters. With that, I do not think Geno has much of a chance, or any at all against those characters. I don't think having fan demand as the only thing going for them is a bad thing, not in itself. However, it is pretty much up to Sakurai, and his mind may have changed on Geno. I am not sure if his fans will necessarily see all that, though.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
What is considered as a "Retro Fighter"?
They're mostly Nintendo-owned characters from one-shot games on the NES/GB/SNES eras, but there are people that says that a Retro Fighter can be from the N64, GBA, or even the GameCube ir the DS as well.
Well the way Smash (read: Sakurai) sees it, it seems to be NES/GB era. Having said that, we don't really get characters on that basis anymore, so it's a bit of an antiquated allocation.

What everyone else seems to consider retro is a sliding scale that now goes up at least until the sixth gen, maybe the seventh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think being unexpected is an implicit requisite along with being a non-hero when comparing PP to G&W, ROB, and DH, which Sakurai did. Not the least of which is because in Smash 4, he did refer to DH as "this game's surprise character" or something along those lines. So there is some degree of him walking back his words, which he does from time to time.

Nevertheless, however you want to define it, being a mook isn't a mandate of fitting the G&W/ROB/DH/PP niche, so I stand by saying the options wouldn't be limited by that factor.
He didn't walk back on his words.

You're just trying to put them hard under the same umbrella when "surprise character" is not the only reason a character is chosen. the particular slot was not Surprise Character, but Surprise Character + Not A Hero or a Major Player(in their game(s)). I even quoted where he cleared that up that both were the cases when choosing PP. The only real reason it'd have been someone else is if another criteria would show up besides Surprise Character. Since it's, again, a twofold situation.

• Mr. Game & Watch is also partially an OC, a combination of every character, protagonist or NPC, in the game, which is the real stand out. And 2D.
  • R.O.B. is a Controller peripheral, and also what saved Nintendo, which makes it very different from the other ones.
  • Duck Hunt is 3 characters overall in one, and brings a new kind of dual-based gimmick, but also represents the Light Gun games.
  • Piranha Plant is the first one to not be a major player like the other 3, but also is not a hero(or for that matter, a protagonist) in any way. It's just a mook, or a species that isn't, well, Pokemon(which they are usually more defined by massive popularity or anime/media stuff, which makes them feel like more than a species alone), but also brings some notes from tons of games in a similar way that... all but R.O.B. does.
All 4? They are not simply Surprise Characters but have their own unique reasons for being in. So no, you can't just say Surprise Character can call it a day. In addition, as I noted before, it's the first one with the strict criteria of not being a hero or a major player in the game, even more separating it(namely the major player part) from the previous Surprise Characters. Now whether it was a Mook or Nothing, or PP or Nothing in Sakurai's mind, the list of options were actually really low regardless. You were getting a lesser character at best or nothing.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
He didn't walk back on his words.

You're just trying to put them hard under the same umbrella when "surprise character" is not the only reason a character is chosen. the particular slot was not Surprise Character, but Surprise Character + Not A Hero or a Major Player(in their game(s)). I even quoted where he cleared that up that both were the cases when choosing PP. The only real reason it'd have been someone else is if another criteria would show up besides Surprise Character. Since it's, again, a twofold situation.

• Mr. Game & Watch is also partially an OC, a combination of every character, protagonist or NPC, in the game, which is the real stand out. And 2D.
  • R.O.B. is a Controller peripheral, and also what saved Nintendo, which makes it very different from the other ones.
  • Duck Hunt is 3 characters overall in one, and brings a new kind of dual-based gimmick, but also represents the Light Gun games.
  • Piranha Plant is the first one to not be a major player like the other 3, but also is not a hero(or for that matter, a protagonist) in any way. It's just a mook, or a species that isn't, well, Pokemon(which they are usually more defined by massive popularity or anime/media stuff, which makes them feel like more than a species alone), but also brings some notes from tons of games in a similar way that... all but R.O.B. does.
All 4? They are not simply Surprise Characters but have their own unique reasons for being in. So no, you can't just say Surprise Character can call it a day. In addition, as I noted before, it's the first one with the strict criteria of not being a hero or a major player in the game, even more separating it(namely the major player part) from the previous Surprise Characters. Now whether it was a Mook or Nothing, or PP or Nothing in Sakurai's mind, the list of options were actually really low regardless. You were getting a lesser character at best or nothing.
Doesn't take reading past my first sentence of the post you quoted to see I didn't ascribe their inclusion solely to surprise.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, one more thing about Geno, I would not say his fan demand is the only thing working for him. The other reasons are few in number, though.

He does have good moveset potential (though I am not sure on what his Up B would be), and he is retro character from a third party game, so that would be fun to include in my opinion.

However, I don't even know how far the first reason goes, and the second one?...He is still a supporting character. A main character, but not the main main character if you know what I mean. He had an important role, but was not the star. I'd say that could most definitely cancel the second reason out.

He was still playable, if in battles only, but that goes only so far, if far at all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol ah words.

So how would ppl feel if Geno were an Assist? Is there a pattern for characters going from mii costume to Assist? Or being simultaneously an Assist and a costume?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Lol ah words.

So how would ppl feel if Geno were an Assist? Is there a pattern for characters going from mii costume to Assist? Or being simultaneously an Assist and a costume?
I wouldn't be upset. If that is the best they could do in getting him in the game, I can welcome it. Not sure about the other who are not Geno fans, but I can imagine the Geno fans getting angry about it and riot. Being an assist and costume would not be bad either.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doesn't take reading past my first sentence of the post you quoted to see I didn't ascribe their inclusion solely to surprise.
And you entirely still ignored that "major player" applies to everyone but PP. So yes, it's not the same situation like you keeping saying it is. He never went back on his word because his word was never changed. They're all surprise characters at the end of the day. PP just had a far more unique reason for being chosen. And one of those is "not a hero or major player", which, let's be real, applies to tons of plausible surprise options we could get right now. So why would I look at tons of oddball characters who don't fit PP's reason for inclusion when they never stood a chance for that spot? The closest is someone like Waluigi, and as I said, he might already apply enough to "major player" as he hard starts off the plot of one game(spin-offs and mainline are hardly important to Mario anyway as a franchise, as they're all treated pretty much with the same core importance. Big games that sell and make it a notable franchise. This might apply for other series, just not Mario).

Besides, those surprise characters from before weren't "heroes" either, so the only change is, which isn't going back on his word, mind you(I don't know why you brought it up as it has no application in any way to the situation), is to have a non-major character added, especially as he doesn't want to see nothing but heroes and major characters(which PP is the only one that can't really apply, even loosely. Jigglypuff is kind of close to the same thought, but it starred in various episodes, so takes a "major role" for all intents and purposes. Though to be fair, it can also be in a similar position, but is just way more popular in general anyway, making PP still stand out mainly for being iconic, yet not a popular character).

At the end of the day, Sakurai doesn't just go for the same kind of category more and more. He adds pieces to make the category feel more unique and richer. That is still not a case of "going back on his word"(not that he doesn't change his mind, it's just not one of those cases).

tl;dr PP is a surprise character who has new criteria that doesn't apply to most surprise options nor does it apply to the previous surprise characters. Simple as that.

Lol ah words.

That's better than just a costume(or deluxe). Though I'd take both anyway. Geno's awesome and seeing him in proper gameplay is great. Playable is the best option, but "fully showing his unique abilities in gameplay" is the second best thing. :)

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Lol ah words.

He can be both, Isaac is.

I'm sure people would be upset, but ultimately it's better than having even less, which is also an entirely possible outcome.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I was thinking, about Kirby and the Forgotten Land, had it been released much earlier, I can picture it getting the same kind of representation that Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda: Breath of the Wild got.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was thinking, about Kirby and the Forgotten Land, had it been released much earlier, I can picture it getting the same kind of representation that Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda: Breath of the Wild got.
How far away from the development period was it? Cause I felt like it was developed so far off, that it wasn't even early enough for the DLC pass alone. Though it'd be neat if we got Bandanna Waddle Dee as a Pass character~

Laniv

Smash Champion
Lol ah words.

It's better than the awful hand he got dealt in Ultimate. Hype for him got built up to the highest level ever seen for him for this game, only to be unceremoniously cut down a week before Christmas.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well, I'm not sure about Isaac. But Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee definitely stick out to me as popular choices to consider in the future, Waluigi became such a big deal that made headlines, and BDW being the next logical choice for a Kirby character and extremely popular character that already segmented his position as a part of the core group.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's better than the awful hand he got dealt in Ultimate. Hype for him got built up to the highest level ever seen for him for this game, only to be unceremoniously cut down a week before Christmas.
The timing alone was understandable. Enix is pretty particular about their costumes, and while are part of the same company, do not actually work directly with Square on DQ-related stuff.

But it not even being deluxe was what made it all the worse. So the timing, while understandable, felt bad, and then we got the low end version with only subtle updates so it looks inline with the rest of the game(that is, basic graphical touchups). It wasn't downright horrible, even for me as a Geno fan, but I completely get it. Even if the costume wasn't premium, anything like a song would've helped softened the blow, etc.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
How far away from the development period was it? Cause I felt like it was developed so far off, that it wasn't even early enough for the DLC pass alone. Though it'd be neat if we got Bandanna Waddle Dee as a Pass character~
That's why I said if it was released much earlier. Like, one of the Switch's earliest titles. Too bad it came out later when it was too late to have a stage, some tracks, and spirits.

Top Bottom