• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well the wal mart thing is NOA’s fault not skip’s and the 3rd one not coming outside Japan was undoubtedly cause of how the previous two did, same with the new play control version. Let’s go photo being down load made it easier to take a risk on and from what I recall was very well received
Photo Finder is legitimately the worst game I have ever played.

I am fairly certain reception was mixed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
you can’t have played many games
Oh I play a ton.

But Photo Finder is a game that insults you for it's own faults.

I'd rather have a broken glitchy mess than that.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In some ways Chibi Robo has been a victim of bad timing. Its first (and some would say best entry) was on a console that undersold, had its potential sales on the mega selling portable undermined by how it was released, and its latest two entries were gimmick titles that didn't really play to its strengths.

Had the series come along now, in much better period of Nintendo marketing and much easier access via digital download, it probably would have done much better.

Nintendo launches a new video production company.
Nintendo could do a lot worse than consistently doing promotional shorts for upcoming games. A new Star Fox would greatly benefit from some high quality animated web series.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Nintendo should buy them up honestly. This would probably make old Rare employees considers working for Playtonic. It's maybe a bit too logical and makes a little too much sense, so it probably wouldn't happen.

As I said, DK's world translates easier to a theme park. All they need is a jungle layout, a minecart rollercoaster ride, maybe a merry go ride with the Animal Buddies , a barrel blast type of attraction, Funkys Flights, something like an attraction resembling the Arcade game avoiding barrels and stuff, and I dunno what else, but it's very easy to imagine , especially compared to Zelda and Pokemon. Also, DK is the biggest series related to Mario.

I'd like to believe it too, sure, I'd love a new DK game more than anyone else, but this wait is terrible and these rumors, while consistent with stuff that already did came out as Kirby and the Lost World, Metroid Dread and Fire Emblem Engage , it's just the ONE missing title every time and it's almost meme worthy at this point how it's one of the most anticipated games for just about every major announcement, but it's just never there. Might as well change my username to Cranky Kong once this new game releases, if it ever does before even my bones are turned to dust.
I don’t think you really need to work hard to make a Pokémon theme park. It’s the biggest multimedia franchise of all time. Just have people walk in mascot costumes like at Disney, theme a few rides around legendary Pokémon and their areas, and have a couple Pokémon center hubs to rest at. It sounds like a lay up to me. A giratina/distortion world themed dark ride, maybe a Rayquaza coaster similar to space mountain, a kyogre themed water ride, it’s pretty easy to throw a solid Pokémon park together. It also would be much more recognizable to the public too. Your average Joe Shmoe will probs name a Pokémon before they name Rambi.

And yet, they went with DK anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I play a ton.

But Photo Finder is a game that insults you for it's own faults.

I'd rather have a broken glitchy mess than that.
are you sure that's what you were playing?

Nintendo launches a new video production company.
is that the wail of a banshee i hear?

In some ways Chibi Robo has been a victim of bad timing. Its first (and some would say best entry) was on a console that undersold, had its potential sales on the mega selling portable undermined by how it was released, and its latest two entries were gimmick titles that didn't really play to its strengths.

Had the series come along now, in much better period of Nintendo marketing and much easier access via digital download, it probably would have done much better.
that's why i keep suggesting a hd version. i have no doubt that it would do better now mostly cause i'll hold you all at gunpoint til you buy it

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Donkey Kong to come back. Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby should be Nintendo's 3D/2D platforming trinity.

I'd really like to know what happened with Retro. Clearly they should have been allowed a single pitch and if it wasn't up to Nintendo's goals then they should have been given 2 Nintendo-approved choices either being a 3D Donkey Kong platformer or Metroid Prime 4.

They've wasted so much time that it's unbelievable that they're still around. I think if for some reason Metroid Prime 4 "flops" or just doesn't do the numbers Nintendo wants they might shut them down after all of this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd love Donkey Kong to come back. Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby should be Nintendo's 3D/2D platforming trinity.

I'd really like to know what happened with Retro. Clearly they should have been allowed a single pitch and if it wasn't up to Nintendo's goals then they should have been given 2 Nintendo-approved choices either being a 3D Donkey Kong platformer or Metroid Prime 4.

They've wasted so much time that it's unbelievable that they're still around. I think if for some reason Metroid Prime 4 "flops" or just doesn't do the numbers Nintendo wants they might shut them down after all of this.
metroid prime 4s problem may be that it’s existing. there’s no way it’s going to live up to what people want

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
metroid prime 4s problem may be that it’s existing. there’s no way it’s going to live up to what people want
Agreed. While the exploration/puzzles will obviously be the primary focus, as they should be, I think an ambitious multiplayer is what the series desperately needs. I don't know how they'd do it but we've seen little glimpses of this potential scattered throughout Metroid releases so it's clearly something Nintendo is at least mildly interested in.

This sentiment probably pits me against the online Metroid fandom though. They're afraid of it turning into Halo to the point that it's sort of just opposed outright. I think Hunters and Prime 2 leave a lot to be desired on this front. There's so much more this series could do with a multiplayer mode. They just need to find Metroid's lane in the FPS space. Hopefully they figure something out or at least try to.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Imagine if Nintendo kept the "Now you're playing with power" slogan from yhe N64 onwards. Some will sound fitting like "You're playing with Advance power" or "You're playing with Switching power, others can sound silly like "You're playing with Virtual power" and "You're playing with dual power". But how the slogan for N64 would be like?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll admit, I'm just spitballing, but going by Wikipedia they hadn't worked together since 2015. Maybe Nintendo didn't see them as a high priority?
Nintendo is almost always against buyouts of other companies. It’s very rare that they outright buy outside developers. They wouldn’t even fully purchase Rare for instance. Prior to Next Level Games in the past couple years there was Monolith in 2006 or 2008 and then Retro way back in 2002 and Retro was more the fact that they dumped millions of dollars into what was essentially a scam by Retro’s founder.

Monster Games, like AlphaDream, just was one of the victims of Nintendo’s weird picky choosey buyout policies.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Agreed. While the exploration/puzzles will obviously be the primary focus, as they should be, I think an ambitious multiplayer is what the series desperately needs. I don't know how they'd do it but we've seen little glimpses of this potential scattered throughout Metroid releases so it's clearly something Nintendo is at least mildly interested in.

This sentiment probably pits me against the online Metroid fandom though. They're afraid of it turning into Halo to the point that it's sort of just opposed outright. I think Hunters and Prime 2 leave a lot to be desired on this front. There's so much more this series could do with a multiplayer mode. They just need to find Metroid's lane in the FPS space. Hopefully they figure something out or at least try to.
oh it certainly does pit you against the rest of the metroid fans. considering what happened the last time they had metroid game where samus wasn't on her lonesome for the most of it i doubt they'll be trying it again. not to mention completely shifting what the game series is about doesn't always seem to work out

oh yeah, they actually did make a multiplayer Metroid once and considering we seem to have forgotten it that says it all

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don’t think you really need to work hard to make a Pokémon theme park. It’s the biggest multimedia franchise of all time. Just have people walk in mascot costumes like at Disney, theme a few rides around legendary Pokémon and their areas, and have a couple Pokémon center hubs to rest at. It sounds like a lay up to me. A giratina/distortion world themed dark ride, maybe a Rayquaza coaster similar to space mountain, a kyogre themed water ride, it’s pretty easy to throw a solid Pokémon park together. It also would be much more recognizable to the public too. Your average Joe Shmoe will probs name a Pokémon before they name Rambi.

That's actually quite solid reasoning.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

This also probably has to do with Universals Donkey Kong movie that was rumored to be happening after Mario. It’d make sense for Universal to focus on properties in their theme park as well as in movies.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo just tweeted about the movie:
NGL, that poster looks pretty nice. Very colorful and lively. Hopefully the movie itself can feel the same.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Gengar84

Smash Hero
if I may quote a bloke off the telly: we’re doomed
I’m not going to write it off before even seeing the trailer. Mario worked great with full voice acting in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show back in the day and Hollywood actors have already shown to have done a great job as classic video game characters with Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu and Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik. I enjoyed Chris Pratt’s work in Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World so I have faith in him as an actor.

I’ve got a pretty controversial opinion that I actually prefer the Super Mario Bros. Super Show voice cast more than the current cast we’ve had since Super Mario 64. Not that I dislike the current cast, it is still good. I don’t really expect many people to share that opinion but it means that I’m willing to at least give another cast a chance.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m not going to write it off before even seeing the trailer. Mario worked great with full voice acting in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show back in the day and Hollywood actors have already shown to have done a great job as classic video game characters with Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu and Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik. I enjoyed Chris Pratt’s work in Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World so I have faith in him as an actor.

I’ve got a pretty controversial opinion that I actually prefer the Super Mario Bros. Super Show voice cast more than the current cast we’ve had since Super Mario 64. Not that I dislike the current cast, it is still good. I don’t really expect many people to share that opinion but it means that I’m willing to at least give another cast a chance.
well in may case it’s cause I find illumination more miss than hit and that they resorted to stunt casting

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’ve got a pretty controversial opinion that I actually prefer the Super Mario Bros. Super Show voice cast more than the current cast we’ve had since Super Mario 64.
My wife would go a step further to say the TV show's actors are the best reps ever barring the actual video games lol.

In general I'm a bit jaded because the last movie really didn't work for me. But seeing as this is animated, they'll at least not look bad. I'd even say there's no real reason to dread an animated movie (in a world where we don't know the voice cast) because it's animated. But now that it has names attached to the characters the question definitely raises as to how well they can portray these icons.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My wife would go a step further to say the TV show's actors are the best reps ever barring the actual video games lol.

In general I'm a bit jaded because the last movie really didn't work for me. But seeing as this is animated, they'll at least not look bad. I'd even say there's no real reason to dread an animated movie (in a world where we don't know the voice cast) because it's animated. But now that it has names attached to the characters the question definitely raises as to how well they can portray these icons.
I’ve actually never watched any movie by Illumination. Most of their movies don’t really appeal to me personally but I’m definitely curious to at least give another Mario movie a chance.

As far as the Mario TV show’s casting, I honestly think it was pretty much perfect. It’s sad that Mario’s actor, Lou Albano, is no longer with us. I’m not sure about the rest of the cast.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’ve actually never watched any movie by Illumination. Most of their movies don’t really appeal to me personally but I’m definitely curious to at least give another Mario movie a chance.

As far as the Mario TV show’s casting, I honestly think it was pretty much perfect. It’s sad that Mario’s actor, Lou Albano, is no longer with us. I’m not sure about the rest of the cast.
Actually in my mind the only Mario movie before this new one is the live action movie from 93 which would be Dennis Hopper's last film credit I believe. I love his work ... Weird... Raul Julia would leave us similarly with Street Fighter ..... Heh.

But anyway those actors all did well but because of the poor writing it left a pretty sour taste. At least with SF I didn't lose interest, I love that movie lol. MK was my fave of the 3 tho.

Will future Pokémon movies be produced by Nintendo Pictures now?
I don't believe so. I sense Nintendo Pictures is a financial remedy for keeping studio quality work under one umbrella, thus reducing cost and leading to higher dividends. If you notice just about everyone in business from major corp to little guy, has had to downsize due to The Pandemic.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Actually in my mind the only Mario movie before this new one is the live action movie from 93 which would be Dennis Hopper's last film credit I believe. I love his work ... Weird... Raul Julia would leave us similarly with Street Fighter ..... Heh.

But anyway those actors all did well but because of the poor writing it left a pretty sour taste. At least with SF I didn't lose interest, I love that movie lol. MK was my fave of the 3 tho.

I don't believe so. I sense Nintendo Pictures is a financial remedy for keeping studio quality work under one umbrella, thus reducing cost and leading to higher dividends. If you notice just about everyone in business from major corp to little guy, has had to downsize due to The Pandemic.
Mortal Kombat was a great movie and one of the few examples of a film based on a video game property that’s actually done really well. I bring it up here a lot as a counter example when people argue that Mortal Kombat wouldn’t work for a younger audience without all the blood and gore. That movie had none of that and was still a huge hit and was a ton of fun. I also really liked the Street Fighter movie, particularly the Zangief scene where he’s watching Guile’s army come for them on the TV monitor and he yells “Quick, change the channel!”.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
oh it certainly does pit you against the rest of the metroid fans. considering what happened the last time they had metroid game where samus wasn't on her lonesome for the most of it i doubt they'll be trying it again. not to mention completely shifting what the game series is about doesn't always seem to work out

oh yeah, they actually did make a multiplayer Metroid once and considering we seem to have forgotten it that says it all
Yeah well Metroid purists whined about the Prime series going first-person and being done by an American studio in the first place so I don't really care what they think all that much. Turns out taking risks is great when it's great and sucks when it sucks. I also will never understand how the ****ing concept of having a multiplayer is chasing a trend. It's ****ing multiplayer... That's a trend? lolokthen... Metroid stands to benefit greatly from a well-thought-out and potentially ambitious (at least for series) multiplayer mode period.

I think it says that those previous attempts weren't quite right and that's really it but think Prime 2's was mostly just that it was an afterthought. I don't think it says that the series should just abandon multiplayer. An FPS without a multiplayer is gonna be a tough sell in today's market. Sure it's got that Nintendo allure and all that but idk just seems foolish to ignore completely. Even if it's just an afterthought again.

All things considered though the Switch is just not the device for online Nintendo games. I hope the next console is but that's less to do with the actual console and more to do with Nintendo making proper investments in their online.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I guess my worries about the movie are satiated in terms of the artstyle (at least for Mario, the Toads, and the world itself), now I'm just praying for the writing and voice acting to be good. The trailer itself should provide a good indication of both. Cautiously optimistic for now.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah well Metroid purists whined about the Prime series going first-person and being done by an American studio in the first place so I don't really care what they think all that much. Turns out taking risks is great when it's great and sucks when it sucks. I also will never understand how the ****ing concept of having a multiplayer is chasing a trend. It's ****ing multiplayer... That's a trend? lolokthen... Metroid stands to benefit greatly from a well-thought-out and potentially ambitious (at least for series) multiplayer mode period.

I think it says that those previous attempts weren't quite right and that's really it but think Prime 2's was mostly just that it was an afterthought. I don't think it says that the series should just abandon multiplayer. An FPS without a multiplayer is gonna be a tough sell in today's market. Sure it's got that Nintendo allure and all that but idk just seems foolish to ignore completely. Even if it's just an afterthought again.

All things considered though the Switch is just not the device for online Nintendo games. I hope the next console is but that's less to do with the actual console and more to do with Nintendo making proper investments in their online.
As long as Metroid still has a great single player (or co-op) campaign, I think a separate multiplayer battle mode is a great idea. It worked wonders for games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, and Halo, so I don’t see why it would be a problem here. I believe the mainline Metroid Prime series itself has even had a separate multiplayer mode just like this (I think it was Prime 2). Just because it wasn’t done optimally at first doesn’t mean the idea has no merit and they should just give up on it. I think this would be a great way to expand Metroid’s audience if done well. Just as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of the single player experience.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I don’t think anyone counts Metroid prime as a proper fps anyway. And wasn’t trying to be one or at least not a usual one. So putting in a mode just cause most other games in the genre that it may not be trying to be anyway seems a tad reductive

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think anyone counts Metroid prime as a proper fps anyway
I think it’s probably as much of an FPS as Smash is a Fighting game. It’s kind of like a hybrid genre. In Metroid Prime’s case, I think it’s both an FPS and a Metroidvania. Similarly to how Borderlands doesn’t really fit the pure FPS label but I think it’s fair to classify that as an FPS/RPG or Rouguelike hybrid in my opinion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it’s probably as much of an FPS as Smash is a Fighting game. It’s kind of like a hybrid genre. In Metroid Prime’s case, I think it’s both an FPS and a Metroidvania. Similarly to how Borderlands doesn’t really fit the pure FPS label but I think it’s fair to classify that as an FPS/RPG or Rouguelike hybrid in my opinion.
like i said if it was then it's clearly trying not to be a regular one

Gengar84

Smash Hero
like i said if it was then it's clearly trying not to be a regular one
Fair enough but like I mentioned before, I’m pretty sure Metroid Prime has already had a competitive multiplayer mode in the past itself so it wouldn’t be doing anything it hasn’t already done by adding an expanded mode with online and more features. Someone correct me if I’m completely wrong and falsely remembering that one of the three mainline Metroid Prime games actually had a competitive multiplayer mode. I believe it was Prime 2 if I’m remembering correctly.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fair enough but like I mentioned before, I’m pretty sure Metroid Prime has already had a competitive multiplayer mode in the past itself so it wouldn’t be doing anything it hasn’t already done by adding an expanded mode with online and more features. Someone correct me if I’m completely wrong and falsely remembering that one of the three mainline Metroid Prime games actually had a competitive multiplayer mode. I believe it was Prime 2 if I’m remembering correctly.
from what I heard it didn’t go well

Gengar84

Smash Hero
from what I heard it didn’t go well
I think you’re right. I don’t think that’s a reason to give up though. That was pretty early on before Nintendo really embraced online gaming. I think things might go a lot differently in modern times as long as the mode was done well and could draw a ton of attention to the series. I don’t think you should give up on an idea just because it didn’t go perfectly on the first attempt. Subspace Emissary, for example, still has a ton of potential as a single player and co-op mode for Smash if they just address the issues it had and improve things.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Update for the Smash Community Character Corral.

Part 1 should be out soon with its results. Likely within the week. The poll for Part 2 is done as well. I tried to take in most suggestions but some had to get scrapped if only due to space. There will be a suggestion box as well for the second poll for poll 3 (Mother, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade).

Just to give you a small tease of data, the final cutoff for top 5 want was close. Like, within less than .1 separating them. I think the top five will send a shiver down your spine when you give it a whirl and explore it, hats off to ya.

Top Bottom