• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
And because time is linear, I'm disagreeing with your current take, not necessarily what you may be able to picture next year.

But as long as you can only picture one third-party not returning, I'm going to disagree with you.
It's very simple to just say "I disagree". You could have just said that from the start.

Yes and maybe Nintendo will buy Capcom and Sega and Namco. But I doubt it.

Anyone can throw out hypotheticals, but reality boxes out the fantastical ones from anything but unchecked musing. Your opposing proposition is wildly unrealistic, and saying "but maybe" doesn't change that.

Maybe Nintendo will make a Smash game that takes double the time and a commensurate budget to develop as a normal one!
Godspeed on that one.
Let's not go acting like Ultimate was something people thought was possible too. A game with almost a hundred characters, the number of third party content it had (especially the sudden jump in Square-Enix content from the previous game), the return of Snake, Banjo & Kazooie, Sora...

I just know not to underestimate what Nintendo is capable of. Nintendo may or may not pull it off. Nobody knows for sure. We're all just guessing here but that's kind of the whole point of speculating.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It's very simple to just say "I disagree". You could have just said that from the start.
I did say that from the start. In my first sentence I said I thought you (and anyone else anticipating virtually intact returning attendance) were mistaken.

I then elaborated because if the conversation was just people saying "I agree", "I disagree", or "anything is possible!" we might as well be bots.

Let's not go acting like Ultimate was something people thought was possible too. A game with almost a hundred characters, the number of third party content it had (especially the sudden jump in Square-Enix content from the previous game), the return of Snake, Banjo & Kazooie, Sora...

I just know not to underestimate what Nintendo is capable of. Nintendo may or may not pull it off. Nobody knows for sure. We're all just guessing here but that's kind of the whole point of speculating.
Suggesting Nintendo will spend double or triple the amount of resources and time on the next Smash because they landed Banjo or Sora is such a flagrant false equivalency that it's kind of wild. You know how long it would take to start from the foundational level and create around 90 characters plus newcomers? The entirety of a console generation, probably more. That has nothing to do with getting Konami back on board.

Think about the logistics of your suggestion, let alone the cost of that duration of active development.

We never thought we'd get an evolution for Farfetch'd so maybe the next Pokemon games will have five regions in them. This makes no sense.

"Anything is possible" is not a good counterpoint when it has to forego this much logic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But that's the thing; Smash is such a significant series that it could very well have an increase in budget and time. Nintendo might be able to pull it off.
Super Smash Bros. as a franchise is already, seemingly, among the highest budget franchises Nintendo has in licensing alone, more or less. Never mind actual development costs. Nintendo is still a company, and as such they're driven by profits, not charity.

From a business perspective, there's virtually no reason for them to dramatically increase the allotted time and budget to the extent you're suggesting here. It's already been stated that Everyone is Here was pretty much a one time thing, so consumer expectations for a sequel are already tempered. And as a result, they can release a more standard, smaller roster next time without the fear of backlash, as Ultimate was always billed as a special occasion. Smash will always sell anyway.

Mega corporations like Nintendo aren't just concerned with making money. They're concerned with making as much money as is possible. Dramatically increasing the budget of an already incredibly high budget franchise just to preserve the roster goes against their interest as a company for, ultimately, very little benefit in the long term.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I did say that from the start. In my first sentence I said I thought you (and anyone else anticipating virtually intact returning attendance) were mistaken.

I then elaborated because if the conversation was just people saying "I agree", "I disagree", or "anything is possible!" we might as well be bots.

Suggesting Nintendo will spend double or triple the amount of resources and time on the next Smash because they landed Banjo or Sora is such a flagrant false equivalency that it's kind of wild. You know how long it would take to start from the foundational level and create around 90 characters plus newcomers? The entirety of a console generation, probably more. That has nothing to do with getting Konami back on board.

Think about the logistics of your suggestion, let alone the cost of that duration of active development.

We never thought we'd get an evolution for Farfetch'd so maybe the next Pokemon games will have five regions in them. This makes no sense.

"Anything is possible" is not a good counterpoint when it has to forego this much logic.
What makes you think "Anything is possible" is a bad counterpoint anyway? I have a feeling you just don't want to hear it.

Whether it is a bad or good point, it is still something that is true, and is always true. Arguments are supposed to be moreso about facts. You can't just leave something like "anything is possible" out of an argument just because of how simple it is or if you think it is a bad counterpoint; especially if something like "anything is possible" is true. I do believe that statement can even be backed up. Some people just don't want to hear things like that. Even then, some things are beyond the realm of arguing, meaning some things are not necessarily arguments, or meant for arguing.

Sure, not everything is equally probable, but probability is not what I am talking about here. If anything, it is more of a situational case in where it can be backed up. In the case of Smash, there were characters that got in a Smash game that people thought would not happen. So even if "anything is possible" is not the best argument, it is not that bad, and it has some merit in a case like Smash.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just think Wonder Smash is using “anything is possible” in a way that underestimates the sheer scope of Ultimate’s base game alone.
Underestimates?

Not sure if that was intentional, but it can't be that bad. I mean, I used "anything is possible" before, and I certainly was not trying to do that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In terms of persuasive argument "anything is possible" is both reductionist and vague. Obviously anything could happen. But I'd we're to argue the merits of a thing, something so abstract is a bit pointless.
So how is it reductionist? I understand the vague part.

Obviously, I understand it may not be the best argument for everything, but like I edited in my initial post, it may have merit in certain situations, and Smash is one of them to me. I mean, it can be backed up, considering how many characters got in Smash that people thought would not happen.

So, yeah, I wouldn't use it for every argument, but I do think it has merit in the case of Smash, or at least playable characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So how is it reductionist? I understand the vague part.
because saying "anything is possible" doesn't actually contribute to the subject matter at hand and may be seen as a get out of being backed into a logical corner. so it may be seen as your just basing your opinion on blind optimism which may be seen as a touch naïve

besides we know anything isn't possible cause sakiurai has said no to 4th partied multiple times

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
because saying "anything is possible" doesn't actually contribute to the subject matter at hand and may be seen as a get out of being backed into a logical corner. so it may be seen as your just basing your opinion on blind optimism which may be seen as a touch naïve

besides we know anything isn't possible cause sakiurai has said no to 4th partied multiple times
Maybe, but we can reduce "anything" to just video game characters. It doesn't have to mean everything.

But yeah, last time I used "anything is possible", I was not trying to use it for blind optimism or getting out of a logical corner. I had it for a different reason. Well, I wasn't really trying to argue then. Like I said though, it is not that meritless in some situations.

Come to think of it, what was Wonder Smash using "anything is possible" for?

EDIT: But anyway, I brought up my stance on "anything is possible" to state a personal gripe from before, as unnecessary as it may be; I was not trying to defend Wonder Smash. Still, I probably won't use "anything is possible" next time, even in the case of Smash just to be safe now that I learned about it, but it is good to learn anything about it nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
CannonStreak CannonStreak

Hmm... ok here's an example that just came up. Though the argument never took place because I didn't push for one it could have gone like:

Me: Marth could be cut in favor of becoming one of Alear's merges.

Swamp: Marth will never be cut.

Me: well, anything is possible!

See? I've reduced the argument to a yeah ha, nuh uhh. I've left it nice and vague so there's no real way to counter it other than with a binary response. Does that make sense?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
CannonStreak CannonStreak

Hmm... ok here's an example that just came up. Though the argument never took place because I didn't push for one it could have gone like:

Me: Marth could be cut in favor of becoming one of Alear's merges.

Swamp: Marth will never be cut.

Me: well, anything is possible!

See? I've reduced the argument to a yeah ha, nuh uhh. I've left it nice and vague so there's no real way to counter it other than with a binary response. Does that make sense?
Well, last time I used that, I wasn't trying to do that, though I probably should have expanded on it and backed up why I said that, which I believe is possible. Still, I did use more words than just merely say that, I think.

But anyway, now that I learned and as I have said, thanks to you and a few others, I probably won't use "anything is possible" again for an argument just t be safe, or at least try not to include it in an argument if any other situation is safe.

EDIT: Now that you put it that way, saying just "anything is possible" alone without saying anything else is probably not good in an argument. Without possibly saying "anything is possible" at all maybe, one should explain why they think so, give a basis, and back up what they think with evidence.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What makes you think "Anything is possible" is a bad counterpoint anyway? I have a feeling you just don't want to hear it.
Because it's a nothing statement being used to justify things without using logic or evidence.

Just for example....

"Sakurai is going to quit game development and become a vigilante superhero with aardvark powers. Anything could happen!"

The above statement is ludicrous, but its hiding behind "anything can happen."

And that means that your assertion that it won't happen is just as likely as my assertion that it will. After all anything could happen. Sakurai continuing game development and Sakurai becoming Aardvark Man are equally likely. You just don't like what I'm saying. After all, you can't deny anything could happen.

It's intellectually dishonest. When people are trying to figure things out, most of the time there is some logic involved. "Anything can happen" throws that logic out entirely to hide behind an unhelpful technicality.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because it's a nothing statement being used to justify things without using logic or evidence.

Just for example....

"Sakurai is going to quit game development and become a vigilante superhero with aardvark powers. Anything could happen!"

The above statement is ludicrous, but its hiding behind "anything can happen."

And that means that your assertion that it won't happen is just as likely as my assertion that it will. After all anything could happen. Sakurai continuing game development and Sakurai becoming Aardvark Man are equally likely. You just don't like what I'm saying. After all, you can't deny anything could happen.

It's intellectually dishonest. When people are trying to figure things out, most of the time there is some logic involved. "Anything can happen" throws that logic out entirely to hide behind an unhelpful technicality.
You’re late, Swamp! You can read my other posts above to see my further stance. I still think there are cases where it can at least be further backed up, probably without saying it.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So…what else is there to talk about?
Well, that's easy, there's...uh...

List of stuff I wanna talk about
  • SSBU complete edition with all the DLC characters integrated into the base game
  • What characters I wanted to see over other characters
  • Crackpot Smash ideas
  • Shameless plugs
  • Needlessly arguing (or at least trying not to) someone it's easier to ignore
Yeah I got nothing else.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

• SSBU complete edition with all the DLC characters integrated into the base game
  • Crackpot Smash ideas
  • Shameless plugs
Yeah I got nothing else.
Complete edition, good one! If there is one with all new characters, who should they be?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Complete edition, good one! If there is one with all new characters, who should they be?
Well, I wanted to limit my amount of extra newcomers to 5; 4 unique characters and 1 Echo. As for the characters I'd pick:
  • Waluigi
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Rayman
  • Alph (Olimar Echo)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I didn't see where you say you disagree. You just seemed to assume that I thought certain characters will come back as long as they have an argument for why they would. I'm just merely saying that Joker is a character I can picture not coming back for different reasons.

You're acting as if saying "it's wild for Nintendo to do that" is some kind of counterpoint at all. You also seem like you know how long it would take them to do that when, once again, neither the game or the console we're talking even exist right now. All of this goes right back to what I said about Ultimate; you just never know with this series.

Super Smash Bros. as a franchise is already, seemingly, among the highest budget franchises Nintendo has in licensing alone, more or less. Never mind actual development costs. Nintendo is still a company, and as such they're driven by profits, not charity.

From a business perspective, there's virtually no reason for them to dramatically increase the allotted time and budget to the extent you're suggesting here. It's already been stated that Everyone is Here was pretty much a one time thing, so consumer expectations for a sequel are already tempered. And as a result, they can release a more standard, smaller roster next time without the fear of backlash, as Ultimate was always billed as a special occasion. Smash will always sell anyway.

Mega corporations like Nintendo aren't just concerned with making money. They're concerned with making as much money as is possible. Dramatically increasing the budget of an already incredibly high budget franchise just to preserve the roster goes against their interest as a company for, ultimately, very little benefit in the long term.
I don't recall "suggesting" anything. Also, it was never a sure thing that Ultimate is a one-time thing. It was only mentioned as a possibility. But even if it is, you can pretty much guarantee that they will make up for whatever cuts they do make in the next game because if they don't then yes, they will get a lot of backlash. It's not the way Sakurai would want the games to be, as he wants them to be designed as if they're the last game in the series so they would want to make sure the next game is a good enough follow-up. Either that or maybe they can do an Ultimate Deluxe.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Was that a typo or just purposely?
Oops....jpg

DAMN YOU AUTOCORREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT!!!

Though on the subject of Harada…Harada is of course directing Tekken 8.

TIFA FOR TEKKEN 8 PLEASE HARADA I DON’T CARE IF YOU’RE NOT LISTENING SHE SHOULD’VE BEEN IN 7 BUT NOW’S THE CHANCE BECAUSE FF7 REBIRTH MIGHT LINE UP IN TERMS OF RELEASE AND BE RELEVANT BY THE TIME TEKKEN 8 COMES OUT JUST PLEASE LET TIFA BE IN TEKKEN 8

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion

• Crackpot Smash ideas
  • Shameless plugs
Yeah I got nothing else.
Crackpot Smash ideas? Now's my chance to talk about Nintendo DS as a character with Nintendo 3DS as its echo!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

They might just be playing safe with it though. Everyone Is Here was a hell to manage or so Sakurai stated, it almost didn't happen. Licensing issues are a serious obstacle to this with all these third party "guests".

I seriously think it goes down to the third party characters and them not able to see the future in regards of deals in licences. Which is smart. It's also smart to keep the options open and make massive money with a Everyone Is Here DLC campaign. I also see them opt for doing this in a next Smash game.

And if not for third parties, maybe it's for characters already low in priority, as say, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Young Link and Pichu ?

With how well DLC sells, I foresee a lot of potential money making bull****tery coming for this next Smash. And we'll all probably still swallow it whole.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So with the new Direct I thought I would update the "Does this Franchise have a game on Switch?" list.

So here are some rules...

• This isn't about character appearances, otherwise everyone would be at the same level because of Smash. The sake of this list is to look at franchises where I can play one of their games on the Switch. Cameos do not count.
  • When I say "Brand New Game," I mean a game that was released (or will be released) during its original release schedule (so no ports of ten year old games) and an original experience. Multi-platform releases do count.
  • For the sake of this list, SPIN OFFS COUNT!!! Even something as minor as a rhythm spin off game counts. Even something as small as Pac-Man 99 counts. If it is a new published piece of software, it counts.
  • For a port to count as "updated," it needs to have substantial new content added. The ability to play NES games through NSO will not count.
  • Oh, and if a game hasn't released yet but is scheduled to release for the Switch like Bayonetta 3 or Pikmin 4, they will be counted as a new game.

And finally... here are some gray areas...

• For the Mario adjacent franchises, I'm only counting a game if it has their name in the title. DK doesn't get a pass because he's playable in Mario Strikers.
  • Star Fox 2 is a really weird situation. I will count that as having debuted on the SNES Classic, so its port to Switch will be counted as a regular port.
  • I am not counting Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure as the same IP.
  • I'm counting the Miis as having games developed for the Switch considering they are still in the Switch hardware and still are available in brand new titles for Switch like Nintendo Switch Sports.
  • Terry... is an odd duck. The SNK IPs are not easily separated so even though there are no new Fatal Fury games on Switch... I think I have to count SNK Heroines. As much as that pains me.
And here are the lists.
:ultmario: - Super Mario
:ultlink: - The Legend of Zelda
:ultsamus: - Metroid
:ultyoshi: - Yoshi
:ultkirby: - Kirby
:ultpikachu: - Pokemon
:ultmarth:- Fire Emblem
:ultwario: - Wario Ware
:ultsonic: - Sonic the Hedgehog
:ultolimar: - Pikmin
:ultvillager: - Animal Crossing
:ultmegaman: - Mega Man
:ultmiifighters: - Mii
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man
:ultshulk: - Xenoblade Chronicles
:ultcloud:- Final Fantasy
:ultbayonetta: - Bayonetta
:ultinkling: - Splatoon
:ultjoker:- Persona
:ulthero: - Dragon Quest
:ult_terry: - SNK as a whole?
:ultminmin - ARMS
:ultsteve: - Minecraft
:ultsora: - Kingdom Hearts
:ultdk: - Donkey Kong
:ultryu: - Street Fighter
:ultsimon: - Castlevania
:ultfox: - Star Fox
:ultness: - Earthbound
:ultfalcon: - F-Zero
:ulticeclimbers: - Ice Climber
:ultpit: - Kid Icarus
:ultlittlemac: - Punch Out!!
:ultbanjokazooie: - Banjo Kazooie
:ultgnw: - Game & Watch
:ultsnake: - Metal Gear
:ultrob: - R.O.B.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Wii Fit
:ultduckhunt: - Duck Hunt
:ultkazuya: - Tekken

If I made any errors, please let me know.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So with the new Direct I thought I would update the "Does this Franchise have a game on Switch?" list.

So here are some rules...

• This isn't about character appearances, otherwise everyone would be at the same level because of Smash. The sake of this list is to look at franchises where I can play one of their games on the Switch, right now. Cameos do not count.
  • When I say "Brand New Game," I mean a game that was released (or will be released) during its original release schedule (so not ports of ten year old games) and an original experience. Multi-platform releases do count.
  • For the sake of this list, SPIN OFFS COUNT!!! Even something as minor as a rhythm spin off game counts. Even something as small as Pac-Man 99 counts. If it is a new published piece of software, it counts.
  • For a port to count as "updated," it needs to have substantial new content added. The ability to play NES games through NSO will not count.

And finally... here are some gray areas...

• For the Mario adjacent franchises, I'm only counting a game if it has their name in the title. DK doesn't get a pass because he's playable in Mario Strikers.
  • Star Fox 2 is a really weird situation. I will count that as having debuted on the SNES Classic, so its port to Switch will be counted as a regular port.
  • I am not counting Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure as the same IP.
  • I'm counting the Miis as having games developed for the Switch considering they are still in the Switch hardware and still are available in brand new titles for Switch like Nintendo Switch Sports.
  • Terry... is an odd duck. The SNK IPs are not easily separated so even though there are no new Fatal Fury games on Switch... I think I have to count SNK Heroines. As much as that pains me.
:ultmario: - Super Mario
:ultlink: - The Legend of Zelda
:ultsamus: - Metroid
:ultyoshi: - Yoshi
:ultkirby: - Kirby
:ultpikachu: - Pokemon
:ultmarth:- Fire Emblem
:ultwario: - Wario Ware
:ultsonic: - Sonic the Hedgehog
:ultolimar: - Pikmin
:ultvillager: - Animal Crossing
:ultmegaman: - Mega Man
:ultmiifighters: - Mii
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man
:ultshulk: - Xenoblade Chronicles
:ultcloud:- Final Fantasy
:ultbayonetta: - Bayonetta
:ultinkling: - Splatoon
:ultjoker:- Persona
:ulthero: - Dragon Quest
:ult_terry: - SNK as a whole?
:ultminmin - ARMS
:ultsteve: - Minecraft
:ultsora: - Kingdom Hearts
:ultdk: - Donkey Kong
:ultryu: - Street Fighter
:ultsimon: - Castlevania
:ultfox: - Star Fox
:ultness: - Earthbound
:ultfalcon: - F-Zero
:ulticeclimbers: - Ice Climber
:ultpit: - Kid Icarus
:ultlittlemac: - Punch Out!!
:ultbanjokazooie: - Banjo Kazooie

If I made any errors, please let me know.
The only error I see is not made by you, but by Nintendo. And that's not having a new mainline DK game released yet on the Switch.

IT HURTS!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They might just be playing safe with it though. Everyone Is Here was a hell to manage or so Sakurai stated, it almost didn't happen. Licensing issues are a serious obstacle to this with all these third party "guests".

I seriously think it goes down to the third party characters and them not able to see the future in regards of deals in licences. Which is smart. It's also smart to keep the options open and make massive money with a Everyone Is Here DLC campaign. I also see them opt for doing this in a next Smash game.

And if not for third parties, maybe it's for characters already low in priority, as say, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Young Link and Pichu ?

With how well DLC sells, I foresee a lot of potential money making bull****tery coming for this next Smash. And we'll all probably still swallow it whole.
This is a pretty minor thing, but unlike the others you listed, the Ice Climbers being cut didn't have to do with being low priority. They were fully intended to be brought back, but were unable to due to technical limitations brought about by the 3DS.

They're like the one previously-cut character where I don't think it's a mark against them potentially returning in case of cuts. Their situation was just wildly different from every other cut in the franchise.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Neat list!

So Tekken and Metal Gear are the only ones of the last category that aren't Nintendo properties...

If they brought GBA to NSO and launched Tekken Advance then that would just leave ...

Metal Gear!

Maybe they'll drop the NES game, never played it.

Top Bottom