• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So really that leaves Monster Hunter the black sheep since I've never played it but I'm eager to learn more and how it could turn out a playable character.
Honestly, I'm not sure MH needs a playable character, since they already have a Boss, which is more fitting of that franchise anyway.

Can we agree that Crash, Waluigi, Geno would pretty much be the next big 3 of the smash community during the next smash game?
Will they? Probably. Should they be? ...no.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can we agree that Crash, Waluigi, Geno would pretty much be the next big 3 of the smash community during the next smash game?
Not in the slightest. I don't even think one of them needs to be on a big 3 list, if there's even any real noteworthy standouts at the moment.

They'd be some of the more popular requests maybe, but definitely not the huge popularity characters as K.Rool, Ridley, Mega Man, Sonic or Mewtwo had.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I have to agree with the notion that Geno's fanbase is likely to scatter to the winds by the time the next game hits.

Cuz like...that's already what happened during most of Smash 4 after he failed to get into Brawl. His vocal online fanbase only really recovered once Sakurai acknowledged his popularity with the Mii outfit and seemingly even said that he wanted to make him playable...which ended up amounting to absolutely nothing the very next game, which went out of its way to add some of the biggest community fan requests of them all (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultsora:).

Honestly, with all due respect...what legs do Geno fans really even have to stand on anymore?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Geno should have at least gottten a deluxe Mii with a custom full head and Beware the Forest Mushrooms song. As far as a full character, I think the Mii Gunner is a fine spot for him personally. I was a huge fan of Super Mario RPG back on the SNES but I never really understood what made Geno such a hugely demanded character. I personally think Crono should get priority as far as SNES JRPG characters go (really Magus if we’re going with my personal favorites but Crono makes more sense as a general rule).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I have to agree with the notion that Geno's fanbase is likely to scatter to the winds by the time the next game hits.

Cuz like...that's already what happened during most of Smash 4 after he failed to get into Brawl. His vocal online fanbase only really recovered once Sakurai acknowledged his popularity with the Mii outfit and seemingly even said that he wanted to make him playable...which ended up amounting to absolutely nothing the very next game, which went out of its way to add some of the biggest community fan requests of them all (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultsora:).

Honestly, with all due respect...what legs do Geno fans really even have to stand on anymore?
I feel like we'd only know their perspective by asking one of them. Granted, there is ONE user who shows up to this thread every now and then who is VERY passionate about Geno, so we can probably ask them (don't wanna say their name, in case they get the wrong idea).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like I said many times by now...I do think Geno should of also gotten an assist trophy in the base game, just as other fellow Brawl era "never evers" like Isaac and Krystal did. It would of been nice seeing him make a proper physical appearance, and it would of been a more faster and efficient way of giving his fandom closure as early as the base game, so the eventual return of his Mii outfit as DLC wouldn't of stung as much.

I have to admit, it really was ****ing cruel how they dragged out his deconfirmation for literally two years. At least dudes like Isaac and Ashley were taken out of their misery after only a few months since Ultimate's announcement, hell you had characters like Krystal that were literally deconfirmed right on the spot (ouch).

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The assumption that the Geno supports would die by the next game is something I don’t see happening as it could pretty much grow more than before once next smash game gets announced the support will be back probably and it also has something to do with the fact that already top requested characters have already gotten in from many people list in other words this gives more space for Geno to be raised higher than before in many people’s list.
Even if there are Geno haters out there this is proof that his support grew much that he now has haters.
Also let’s not ignore that Geno had the biggest thread in smashboards during smash ultimate lifecycle.
So just wait until next smash game gets announced then make assumptions if Geno support is dying or not as the next smash announced is what will bring back the whole Geno support back again.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As a Geno fan who was semi-active in his character thread, I'm effectively at a ground state. I have no expectations of him coming in the next game, but given the Smash propensity for curveballs, I can't 100% rule him out as an outright impossibility either. Truth be told, I'm more invested in seeing Dixie, Bandana Dee, & Impa get their shot than him, though I can say the character getting a Deluxe Mii Costume would go a long a way in mending the baffling disappointment that was the eventual return of his Smash 4 getup.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Idk, Geno is just so far down the list for me even if you just look at Mario reps. Toad, Waluigi, even next-tier stuff like Pauline, unique Daisy, a Luigi's Mansion rep, Fawful, Kamek and more would be before Geno. Even if you pretend like Square is totally irrelevant then it still doesn't look good for him.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
@ahemtoday and Chuderz Chuderz :

I'd prefer that FS go back to being tied to the Smash Ball while the meter gets repurposed for super specials.

If we absolutely NEED a way to give FS its own input though, I think Shield+Y might work.

Anyway, I think it's best that we discuss this on this other thread, considering this thread quickly moves on if we do so.
Oh wow I might post in that thread eventually. I stick to this thread because the future of Smash is what I'm most interested in when it comes to discussing this game.

I disagree about Smash Ball getting exclusivity rights to Final-Smash-attacks. That being said though I'd also like to point out that this is a case where just like my proposed coexistence between both "competitive" and "uncompetitive" Final-Smash-attacks being an advanced ruleset toggle this actually is an example of that philosophy already working in the game with players able choose between Smash-Ball and Final-Smash-meter. Heck you can even have both turned on if you want but obviously my competitive/uncompetitive Final-Smash system couldn't work that way.

I'd say we need to just so that characters can use their Specials with a Final-Smash on deck. To me that's an important fix as are my others.

I am a full day late on this, but here goes:
No worries. We all got things to do.
I, er, no. I don't think they should "spice up the backgrounds". I don't think Shulk should knock you into his game. I don't think Shulk should be knocking you anywhere. It doesn't matter how cool your new place is, there's no reason he can't do a Chain Attack right there on the stage on which he is standing.
Yeah I know what you meant. I was just typing out loud. I wouldn't mind him (or any other characters' Final Smash) just doing it there on the stage but I imagine it's an issue with getting the camera angles they want. Like for Pythra's after Rex lands the hit you get these close up on their face to accent their facial expressions/dialogue with one another along with a host of other dramatic camera angles during the entire attack sequence. I imagine Smash team prioritizes this hence the bland background being used so that this can be achieved much more reliably instead of factoring all the stage backgrounds, platforms and the like. I guess they could just freeze the background but the platforms could still be awkwardly in the way. I imagine it'd be a lot of time for the team to make sure every possible scenario would work so instead they opt for the bland background is what I'm saying. I think spicing up the background is about as much as you can ask for with these types of Final-Smash-Attacks. Some characters got 'em so why not the rest of 'em?

I can't agree that supers/FSes/what-have-you need to all be designed the exact same way in order to be competitive. Beam supers have been a thing for a long time in traditional fighting games, and I do not see what is preventing them from appearing in Smash.
Well nothing is preventing them from being Smash as they're already there but they aren't competitively viable for obvious reasons and I think that's a shame. I'd personally like them to be either by distinguishing between "competitive" and "uncompetitive" Final-Smash-attacks as an advanced rule-setting or just dropping the uncompetitive ones entirely and/or retooling them elsewhere. I have this idea called "Super-Smash-Attacks" which is just essentially taking Terry's Go! Gimmick and allocating it to the rest of the cast. I could see nerfed versions of certain Final-Smash-Attacks fitting this bill such as big beam ones like Mario's and Samus'.

If you're sticking to super specials being the same as the standard ones, then I can get down with that. Street Fighter does the same thing. But I don't see the point in making them use entirely separate bars. If they use the same bar, it creates a choice: do I use an EX move, or build up more bar and do a Final Smash? If the former, which? But when they don't... there is no choice. They get their Final Smash and then they try to hit you with it before the bar runs out. I think it's adding in another meter for the sake of less intriguing decision-making.
I could get behind this model and agree that this approach would definitely have the kind of depth to gameplay I'm always appreciative of. Though I remain supportive of such a model I still think a 2 bar system is justifiable. It's the most complex things could get while staying within the realm of "simplicity" but I think it's justifiable mainly because you could have one bar being positioned horizontally below the character portrait (like where FS meter currently sits) filling from left to right and the other bar (in this instance let's just say it's Super-Special-meter) could be positioned vertically on the right side of the character portrait filling from bottom to top. These would be visually distinct to a sufficient degree that I couldn't imagine it being that confusing other than just general resource management inherently is.

In a way, that's kind of my philosophy with these... let's call 'em Y-supers. The way I see it, moves are starting to come out the seams of the Smash moveset template. Characters need to have multiple specials for one direction, or a special resource they need to manage, or a powered-up form, or some sort of stance switch. And the issue with this is that... as implemented, it's the worst of both worlds to me. It isn't standardized because not only is not every character like this. but the ones that are all have unique mechanics in this space; but it also isn't unique because, like... it's all a special meter they expend on moves, or a super mode they occasionally enter.

So that's why I went for giving everyone a meter and four super moves they can do with it. (In addition to other things I've been wanting like air smashes.) Because if that's what every Smash character needs, then why not give it to them? If someone really needs a unique resource distinct from the standard meter - and I mean really needs like Steve, not "needs" in the same sense as cinematic Final Smashes need to teleport you - then they can get it instead. Maybe even in addition to the standard meter, if it doesn't have its own dedicated move(s) to expend it.
So from what I understand about this section of your post is that you feel that borderline completely uniform standardization of a hypothetical super move of some kind is preferable to my proposal of allocating Cloud's and Joker's models across the cast on a case-by-case basis.

That's fair enough because I also think there's merit to standardization and it's largely a reason I play Smash versus most other fighting games (love me some DBFZ though) but I think having 2 models universally distributed isn't straying too far from this standardization either. I also understand that sometimes not any 2 characters' application of either model will play out the same like my suggestion of Super Sonic (being an application of the empowered state or Joker/Arsene model) having the ability to fly for a short while by holding the jump-input (a lot like Peach/Daisy's float but instead of being confined to a strict horizontal line Super Sonic could fly in any/all directions but also one per airtime forcing the player to either utilize for the 1st or 2nd jump just the princesses) whereas we already know that Joker himself has no such mechanic. Though taking that into account I guess that's where I end my crusade for widespread universally distribution across the entire cast because I tink that sometimes it's okay for a character to just be a little bit special in their own way whether it's a major core gameplay difference like that or just aesthetically theming Cloud's Super-Specials as his Limit meter from his games that we all know and love. Same reason some characters have clings/crawls/walljumps and some don't.

As for Steve I guess in my ideal moveset expansion of Smash he'd just be one of the characters with an extra resource to manage. That's mostly just a consequence of what his game is. I'd imagine that Steve/Alex/Enderman/Zombie players would just know what they were getting themselves into and while managing 3 resources (crafting/Final-Smash-meter/Super-Specials) would be a pretty decent drawback by adding his crafting (which also would have 2 moves interlinked with Super-Specials being his Side-Special and Down-Special) to the management pile it'd still only be one extra to what I'm proposing for the entire cast (with most of them simply having Final-Smash-meter and Super-Special-meter to manage) and it'd also have it's upsides too. It's no different than Inkling having to also manage their ink still with all these additions or even Olimar having to manage his Pikmin. The added resource management would just come with the specific characters and like I said this extra resource has its upside in that it's just that, another resource.

I don't hate this idea but I feel like clicking the stick is a little too likely to happen on accident to be a comfortable Final Smash input.
Well the idea is that since Final-Smash-Attacks are so seldomly acquired for use that this potential misinput wouldn't be possible the overwhelming majority of the game which is precisely why I think it's the best place for it. I understand we all play games differently but I don't input R3/L3 unless I meant to. Completely anecdotal but just thought I throw out my bias for extra clarification. My other motivation is just bringing R3/L3 inputs into the game in general since they're not doing anything currently and even pro-controller users like myself don't get to utilize them. I do think that like the right/c-stick you'd have to limit what inputs could be mapped to them though and on that note I think the two inputs I've proposed (Auto-lock and Final-Smash) would be both the least intrusive and most fluid choices possible for them.

I like your thinking here, but between the two meters you've proposed, the one that needs the depth more is the FS meter. I was talking about the using of it having depth before, but if acquiring it has depth I think that'd be interesting too.
Fair enough. I just feel that it makes more sense to me that one would actively generate power-upped Specials like Cloud does or garner actively garner meter to enter an empowered state like Joker does versus doing either of those for a Final Smash which to me feels more natural being generated by your general all-around performance in the match considering it's supposed to be your ultimate attack. You may have or may not have seen my previous post on changes to Final-Smash-meter but I'm gonna spoiler a quick summary of my thoughts on Final-Smash-meter in what I think they got right with it and what I think they got wrong with it. I'll go ahead and include my changes to the Final-Smash system as well because it directly addresses specifically what I think Smash team got wrong in their implementation of the Final-Smash-meter.

If you've already seen these posts then feel free to ignore.

What's wrong with the current Final Smash-attack/meter system:
  • They're wildly different in implementation from each other when they should really be set to cutscenes or inescapable attack-sequences
  • They have wildly different damage outputs and properties when they should really be more uniformed
  • They build up meter on their own
  • They're unblockable
  • They lock you out of using your specials
  • There's borderline no penalty on your Final Smash Meter for losing a stock
What's right with the current Final Smash-attack/meter system:
  • The introduction of a Final-Smash meter itself
  • The unintrusive minimalist design of the current Final-Smash meter
  • The rainbow coloring scheme of the meter's charge is a great visual indication of progress
  • The fact that Final-Smash meter immediately starts to depreciate when it's full which simultaneously incentives both offensive and defensive play around it whether it's the urgency of its use or stalling it out.
  • You can thankfully spotdodge/roll past them but that's like so the bare minimum it's hardly worth mentioning. At least they didn't screw that up.
Meter no longer builds on its own at all. You fight to build your meter. If you have exactly or over half your meter when you lose a stock (or get KO'd in stamina mode) you lose half of that meter and if you have less than half your meter you lose ALL of your meter when losing a stock.

Make Final Smashes blockable but of course if your shield is weak it's either a break or a confirm, whatever Smash team thinks would be best. Assign a specific button (strictly either R3 or L3) to Final Smash attacks so that you can use your specials in the charged state.

All characters get a competitive Final Smash so some characters will have two Final Smashes, this can be addressed in advance rules (i.e. locking characters to their competitive Final Smash). Competitive Final Smashes are essentially cutscenes/inescapable-attack-sequences that do a fixed amount of damage across the entire cast (I'd keep it a strict 30 damage; 40 tops) and knockback is exclusively determined (balanced) by the exact weight of the character on the receiving end. Some characters already have competitive Final Smashes (based on my criteria) so they're fine as is and just need the updates everyone else is getting. Some characters' "uncompetitive" Final Smashes can be incorporated into Super Smash Attacks instead in some cases. Peach's and Daisy's heals would be an example of NOT fitting either a retooled Super Smash Attack or a competitive Final Smash. All of these competitive Final Smashes will be locked to either an R3 or L3 input. Final Smash attacks with reticle aimers will be considered uncompetitive. If competitive Final Smash attacks are not turned on in advanced rules then every character with what is considered an uncompetitive Final Smash Attack will have that Final Smash attack defaulted to. Nerfed versions of "big-blaster" Final Smash attacks (Samus, Inkling, Mario/Doc) could potentially be retooled into Super Smash attacks I believe.

R3 and L3 are now able to be button mapped. They can only be mapped to auto-lock and Final Smash although a tag-in feature for Squad Strike will be tied to inputting R3 and L3 together simultaneously.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice

Once the next smash comes along with cloud/hero/sephiroth/sora returns along with 2B/crono/ten different FF characters/mickey, then will the next Square Enix ™ Slot be gracefully passed down from Sakurai and Furukawa to...... Mallow.
Geno will still be a costume.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Pfft...Forest Mushrooms isn't the best Mario RPG song.

It's not even the best Geno song!
I'd say some of the boss battles had some pretty friggin' based tracks as well.

Regardless, I can sympathize with the lack of Beware the Forest Mushrooms. Really, it just seems ridiculous that they could use the track for the trailer, but couldn't actually put it in the game itself. I have the same frustrations with the Chocobo theme.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd say some of the boss battles had some pretty friggin' based tracks as well.

Regardless, I can sympathize with the lack of Beware the Forest Mushrooms. Really, it just seems ridiculous that they could use the track for the trailer, but couldn't actually put it in the game itself. I have the same frustrations with the Chocobo theme.
they could probably only licence it for the trailer rather than inclusion in the game

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still think that all Mii DLC should get the deluxe treatment that comes with an actual head and not just a wig as well as one song from their game. It would make it feel a lot more like you’re actually playing as the character rather than a Mii dressing up as that character. I’m not sure if this is possible but it would be cool to have the actual character’s voice tied to the head you use (or a toggle you can turn on and off if you prefer the Mii voice for some reason). I think I could actually get excited about Miis in that scenario.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't hope for more from Geno beyond the Mii Costume honestly. I also never got the amount of support Geno got, he's not even a main character in his sole appearance. He'd be sort of cool yeah, but that alone doesn't make a character a fighter in Smash. And it's clear neither Square or Nintendo see Geno as a priority to add. Super Mario RPG isn't getting remakes, or any sort of special attention, and the genre it created in Mario RPGs is close to dead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wouldn't hope for more from Geno beyond the Mii Costume honestly. I also never got the amount of support Geno got, he's not even a main character in his sole appearance. He'd be sort of cool yeah, but that alone doesn't make a character a fighter in Smash. And it's clear neither Square or Nintendo see Geno as a priority to add. Super Mario RPG isn't getting remakes, or any sort of special attention, and the genre it created in Mario RPGs is close to dead.
I love Super Mario RPG but I never understood all the Geno support in Smash. I never personally cared about the character much and I stuck with Mario, Peach, and Bowser. I honestly preferred Mallow to Geno as far as the original characters went, not that I disliked either character. Still, I have absolutely no room to criticize Geno fans seeing as two of my own most wanted characters are also side characters from JRPGs in Magus from Chrono Trigger and Zegram from Rogue Galaxy. I know Zegram has no shot whatsoever and Magus is a pipe dream at best but that doesn’t stop me from cheering for them.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
It's really weird how Nintendo and Square won't just negotiate a transfer of the original Mario RPG stuff either because both parties see it as too unimportant or they have some degree of disagreement as to their value.

I know Nintendo doesn't do anything with their existing IP but does that equally apply to heavily fan-requested Mario characters with an established legacy to them? I honestly don't think so and I have a very negative view of Nintendo as an organization. As I've said before what else is going to be done with them and who is literally the one organization that can actually do it? It's not the current rights holder to the characters which is just absurd. Square owns these rights as their intellectual property but is unable to do anything with them. That's just one of the magically moronic legal contortions that serve nobody. These characters are literally owned by an entity that can't legally use them so what's the actual point of the ownership here? Why did Square insist on keeping them in the first place? It's all so extremely stupid.

I stand by the assertion that if Nintendo owned Geno he'd be in Ultimate right now. If he was Nintendo owned he'd potentially get (along with Mallow) to appear in Mario sports/kart/party games on top of Smash too and maybe even the Paper Mario series as a party member. It'd be for the best of character. I'm not even a Geno fan I'm just laying it out straight.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I still think that all Mii DLC should get the deluxe treatment that comes with an actual head and not just a wig as well as one song from their game. It would make it feel a lot more like you’re actually playing as the character rather than a Mii dressing up as that character. I’m not sure if this is possible but it would be cool to have the actual character’s voice tied to the head you use (or a toggle you can turn on and off if you prefer the Mii voice for some reason). I think I could actually get excited about Miis in that scenario.
surely there comes a point where it defeats the purpose of a costume?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
surely there comes a point where it defeats the purpose of a costume?
Probably but it still saves time not needing to make a moveset or stage with a whole list of music. The main important thing for me is the head. The voice was just a bonus idea that would probably never happen. If you couldn’t tell, I’m not the biggest fan of Miis so the farther a character can get from looking like a Mii, the more accepting I’ll be of them. That’s why I only bought the deluxe Miis that felt like actual characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably but it still saves time not needing to make a moveset or stage with a whole list of music. The main important thing for me is the head, the voice was just a bonus idea that would probably never happen. If you couldn’t tell, I’m not the biggest fan of Miis so the farther a character can get from looking like a Mii, the more accepting I’ll be of them. That’s why I only bought the deluxe Miis that felt like actual characters.
ah an ulterior motive

I kid

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I stand by the assertion that if Nintendo owned Geno he'd be in Ultimate right now. If he was Nintendo owned he'd potentially get (along with Mallow) to appear in Mario sports/kart/party games on top of Smash too and maybe even the Paper Mario series as a party member. It'd be for the best of character. I'm not even a Geno fan I'm just laying it out straight.
No way lol. Mario spinoff games don't even include the Mario RPG characters they actually own like Fawful. They hardly even include anyone outside of the mainline platformer cast besides the usual DK, Wario, Waluigi and Daisy.

I think if Nintendo owned Geno, he'd probably gotten a sticker in Brawl and at best, appeared as an assist trophy in that, Smash 4 or Ultimate. But I think that'd be as good as it'd get.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No way lol. Mario spinoff games don't even include the Mario RPG characters they actually own like Fawful. They hardly even include anyone outside of the mainline platformer cast besides the usual DK, Wario, Waluigi and Daisy.

I think if Nintendo owned Geno, he'd probably gotten a sticker in Brawl and at best, appeared as an assist trophy in that, Smash 4 or Ultimate. But I think that'd be as good as it'd get.
For a supporting character from a nearly three decade old SNES RPG, that would be good.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Geno is technically what got me into speculation. But I must admit his inclusion as a fighter seems unlikely. But I'll try him if he shows up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just had a thought. Since we got Advent Children music with the Sephiroth DLC, that means game related music from anime and movies is no longer off limits. Does anyone think there’s any chance we might ever get to hear this in Smash one day?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like I still maintain that if Geno was really THAT popular on the ballot, they would of attempted to make him playable in Ultimate, I don't think Square-Enix would of said no (they licensed him out for M&L and as a spirit and Mii costume in Smash, I don't think they'd care/mind).
It's just telling to me that, for all of his supposed popularity, three other different SE characters (:ultcloud::ulthero::ultsephiroth:) beat him to the punch across two different games. Make that four if you want to count Sora, despite technically being owned by The Mouse.

Meanwhile you look at Banjo & Kazooie and see how they were literally the first ever Microsoft owned characters in Smash, beating out bigger icons like Minecraft Steve and Master Chief. I think that says it all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just had a thought. Since we got Advent Children music with the Sephiroth DLC, that means game related music from anime and movies is no longer off limits. Does anyone think there’s any chance we might ever get to hear this in Smash one day?

I imagine there’ll be licensing issues with the people who made the song in the first place. Same reason why they dropped the music from the pikmin ads and couldn’t use KH’s theme songs

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You would think that more people would be complaining about the amount of Mario characters we have in Smash already, especially when you count Mario adjacent characters like Wario and Yoshi. I think they’re all deserving but it’s weird that I never see any complaints about that when other series with less characters get complaints all the time. Instead, Geno and Waluigi are still some of the highest requested characters. I don’t really have any issues either way, but I just find it interesting.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You would think that more people would be complaining about the amount of Mario characters we have in Smash already, especially when you count Mario adjacent characters like Wario and Yoshi. I think they’re all deserving but it’s weird that I never see any complaints about that when other series with less characters get complaints all the time. Instead, Geno and Waluigi are still some of the highest requested characters. I don’t really have any issues either way, but I just find it interesting.
That's just because Mario is literally Nintendo's biggest and most popular franchise of them all, including spin-off games it's literally the best selling game IP ever, it makes sense for it to have loads of characters. Something like say, Fire Emblem, while certainly popular and successful these days, arguably still isn't "having eight characters in Smash" material for certain folk.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That's just because Mario is literally Nintendo's biggest and most popular franchise of them all, including spin-off games it's literally the best selling game IP ever, it makes sense for it to have loads of characters. Something like say, Fire Emblem, while certainly popular and successful these days, arguably still isn't "having eight characters in Smash" material for certain folk.
That’s fair. I do think Fire Emblem gets unfairly criticized because it doesn’t actually have eight unique characters. Chrom, Roy, and Lucina are all variations on the others so it only really has five unique characters, which I think is perfectly reasonable when you step back and think about it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's actually Pokemon, which is in fact the most profitable entertainment brand in the world.

Top Bottom