• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
There is a second Fire Emblem Warriors game coming out soon that is a quasi Three Houses sequel.
I mean that doesn't mean much. Warriors is made by a totally different team over at Koei Tecmo, so the IS devs could still be dedicating resources to a regular tactics FE rn.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean that doesn't mean much. Warriors is made by a totally different team over at Koei Tecmo, so the IS devs could still be dedicating resources to a regular tactics FE rn.
As far as I’m aware, Koei-Tecmo actually made most of Three Houses with very little involvement from IS.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
As far as I’m aware, Koei-Tecmo actually made most of Three Houses with very little involvement from IS.
One of the reasons I think they'd be the "big name buyout" from Nintendo, assuming Nintendo decides to do "big name buyouts" at some point.

Before anybody says anything: no, I don't expect that to happen before one of their more frequant collaborators, like Hal Labratory or IntSys. Heck, given they're currently putting that money into building a building (heh), I don't expect any buyouts anytime soon. Especially since Nintendo doesn't evdn like buyouts in general.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to mention that...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One of the reasons I think they'd be the "big name buyout" from Nintendo, assuming Nintendo decides to do "big name buyouts" at some point.

Before anybody says anything: no, I don't expect that to happen before one of their more frequant collaborators, like Hal Labratory or IntSys. Heck, given they're currently putting that money into building a building (heh), I don't expect any buyouts anytime soon. Especially since Nintendo doesn't evdn like buyouts in general.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to mention that...
Hey, whatever increases the chances of seeing Lu Bu in Smash is cool with me.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The input of IS on Three Houses was labeled as a Skeleton Crew if I recall. Basically, a lot of the veterans who handle the gameplay, story, world building, character design, and map design were still present in the staff but Koei-Tecmo did all the leg work.

Similar thing happened with the past few Smash games. Sora/Sakurai was still very much a part of the game but most of the leg work was handled by Bamco.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I dont know if anyone personally wants this but particularly hope for the next Smash Game to be an RPG, as in something line Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, if we cant have all the fighters retiring we should take the kept fighters and put them in a new genra format

Stratos

Smash Ace
I dont know if anyone personally wants this but particularly hope for the next Smash Game to be an RPG, as in something line Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, if we cant have all the fighters retiring we should take the kept fighters and put them in a new genra format
I like this.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
There is a second Fire Emblem Warriors game coming out soon that is a quasi Three Houses sequel.
Well, I knew about that. I meant the next mainline game, which the Warriors one certainly is not.

Edit: and as has already been pointed out, the Warriors game is definitely not going to delay mainline FE.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you have a link
I do. https://smashboards.com/threads/lets-imagine-smash-bros-spin-off-games.517052/

RPGs are a topic of discussion already, I myself had the idea too.
Well, I knew about that. I meant the next mainline game, which the Warriors one certainly is not.

Edit: and as has already been pointed out, the Warriors game is definitely not going to delay mainline FE.
I'm just extremely pleased that Nintendo is doing sequels / spin offs with their more successful IPs via Warriors games. Age of Calamity was already very welcome, and I loved everything of it, so I can't wait for Three Hopes.

I do hope that these games won't be overlooked the next Smash, as I'd especially love to see Impa from Age of Calamity.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'm just extremely pleased that Nintendo is doing sequels / spin offs with their more successful IPs via Warriors games. Age of Calamity was already very welcome, and I loved everything of it, so I can't wait for Three Hopes.

I do hope that these games won't be overlooked the next Smash, as I'd especially love to see Impa from Age of Calamity.
In the Three Hopes case it is a great way to flesh out the story and lore from Three Houses without having to create a full sequel (which might still be a faint possibility). While I am not really a Warriors player myself, the "vanilla" Hyrule and FE Warriors games were great chances to get new designs, models, and game appearances for some of the older characters (even if the FE game was pretty heavy on Fateswakening).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is something I am curious about do Sega hard girls characters counts as 3rd party or 4th party reps? they are all basically living SEGA game consoles which could be the same as R.O.B.
Sega Hard girls started as an anime but the characters themselves are the SEGA game consoles.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
There is something I am curious about do Sega hard girls characters counts as 3rd party or 4th party reps? they are all basically living SEGA game consoles which could be the same as R.O.B.
Sega Hard girls started as an anime but the characters themselves are the SEGA game consoles.
Captain N is the closest series to compare with.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Captain N is the closest series to compare with.
Captain N isn't a series, it's an America only tv show that shouldn't even be considered as something that will have anything to do with Smash Bros., ever.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Also Captain N is directly owned by DiC so like Nintendo is ever going to be getting him back die Smash 7, especially considering he’s an America Only Character. When Star Tropics can’t even get a single mention, what chance is there of a tie in TV Show owned by a company Nintendo probably has a massive grudge against, have at joining Smash?

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I thought Robin was actually really well done as far as avatar characters go. They were actually one of my favorite characters in Awakening. They still felt like a fully fleshed out character while still being customizable. Even then, I wasn’t as excited for them in Smash because my Robin looked and sounded nothing like the default and had a different name so it was almost like she was a completely different character. That’s the issue I have with avatars. Even if they were done well, it’s hard to carry over what I liked about them without bringing in all the customization options, which would be way too much work.
Yeah, the FE avatars in Smash typically just consist of the male and female alts, plus a handful of recolors for each. It does seem like a waste given the sheer amount of customization options in their home games (which should conceivably make their alts fall more in line with Villager and Inkling), but then again, I couldn't really blame the Smash team for not wanting to make 6 more high-quality models per each of those Fighters (especially from a way more niche franchise than Animal Crossing and Splatoon.... probably also helps that those two series are handled by Nintendo internally as opposed to the Intelligent Systems-developed Fire Emblem).

Captain N isn't a series, it's an America only tv show that shouldn't even be considered as something that will have anything to do with Smash Bros., ever.
To my understanding, Captain N started off as a character hosting some kind of column for Nintendo Power magazine (kinda like Nester if you're at all familiar with him) before going on to star in his titular cartoon series. So yeah, Captain N is sort of a Nintendo character, though one that's never been featured in games and is only even known much about outside of Japan (and given Smash's reluctance with actual Nintendo games that never released in Japan, like Star Tropics, his odds of even getting a mention in Smash were never great).

As for Sega Hard Girls, maybe they count as game characters. Though, do you really wanna bet on their odds of getting into Smash over literally any other Sega characters in the first place?

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I think tv characters should be out, though having the choice to use tv voices would be cool like Bob Hoskins Mario voice packs and DKC cartoon voicepacks

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well remember R.O.B. had many more factors into
Well remember that rob is a big part of Nintendo and was added in the days when Nintendo was the focus of smash so odds are he gets special treatment

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There are no "fourth parties" just as there are no "second parties" lmao

Either you're first party which means you belong to that company (or at least co-owned or something), or you're a third party which means you don't belong to that company, simple as that.

As they're not owned by Nintendo, the likes of Spongebob, Goku, Optimus Prime, Batman, etc are just as "third party" as Sonic, Snake, Cloud, etc are...it's just that they're not video game characters and thus not eligible for Smash, that's the real distinction.

Has Sega Hard Girls ever even gotten a western localization? I don't think that would ever be referenced in Smash either way.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Also Captain N is directly owned by DiC so like Nintendo is ever going to be getting him back die Smash 7, especially considering he’s an America Only Character. When Star Tropics can’t even get a single mention, what chance is there of a tie in TV Show owned by a company Nintendo probably has a massive grudge against, have at joining Smash?
Actually, I'm pretty sure Captain N is owned by Nintendo. There's a user here who's provided proof before...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean SEGA owns Sally and the Freedom Fighters, and pretty much every character created for the Sonic DiC cartoons, so I'd assume it'd be the same for Nintendo and the Mario/Zelda/Captain N (minus the third party stuff like Mega Man and Simon of course) cartoons.

It's just, well, they don't want to use them for anything anymore.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Fun Fact: SeHa Girls have a Crossover with Neptunia. Which is kinda fitting.
What's bad is that there's no World War Blue X Neptunia crossover.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

Either you're first party which means you belong to that company, or you're a third party which means you don't belong to that company, simple as that.

As they're not owned by Nintendo, the likes of Spongebob, Goku, Optimus Prime, Batman, etc are just as "third party" as Sonic, Snake, Cloud, etc...it's just that they're not video game characters and thus not eligible for Smash, that's the real distinction.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where the term "fourth party" came from. I'm guessing it was just kind of a meme started by people using it as a way to say that Goku and Shrek have no way in hell of making it into Smash. They're below even the most niche and obscure of third-party game characters (kinda like how a Piranha Plant and a peripheral toy robot are higher priorities than several major third-party gaming icons who still aren't in), a "fourth rung" if you will.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where the term "fourth party" came from. I'm guessing it was just kind of a meme started by people using it as a way to say that Goku and Shrek have no way in hell of making it into Smash. They're below even the most niche and obscure of third-party game characters (kinda like how a Piranha Plant and a peripheral toy robot are higher priorities than several major third-party gaming icons who still aren't in), a "fourth rung" if you will.
I think Goku has an infinitely higher chance than some random side character from a game that no one has ever heard of. At least there is a lot of demand for Goku so I could see a scenario where Sakurai makes an exception. I don’t see that being true for the truly obscure third party game characters that almost no one knows exists.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Goku has an infinitely higher chance than some random side character from a game that no one has ever heard of. At least there is a lot of demand for Goku so I could see a scenario where Sakurai makes an exception. I don’t see that being true for the truly obscure third party game characters that almost no one knows exists.
Bit harsh on us fans of games no one’s heard of

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where the term "fourth party" came from.
To be fair, franchises like Kirby and Fire Emblem that don't completely fall under the Nintendo copyright aren't exactly "second parties" either.

I'm pretty sure it started with people who didn't understand that it's legal terminology, and then it became shorthand for the community because saying fourth parties is faster than saying non-video game products.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bit harsh on us fans of games no one’s heard of
Hey, I’m a fan of obscure games myself. I think it depends where you draw the line on what’s obscure. For example, I’d love to see Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy or Raziel from Soul Reaver in Smash and, while those are relatively obscure, they at least sold enough that a fair amount of people know them. Neither Zegram or Raziel have much of a chance, and I’d honestly say that Goku has a higher chance than Zegram. Games that sold less than a thousand copies have even less of a chance. I’m not saying I don’t want those characters in Smash, just that I think Goku is a lot more likely. I personally don’t see Goku as an impossible character like mods people do, even if he is still very unlikely.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I remember I think they sold it, though at the same time, if anyone could give proof of a Nintendo ownership please tell me.
I think it was Oddball Oddball Who knew about the specifics (sorry for the random ping, just trying to get some assistance).

Speaking of Captain N, I'm gonna use this as an excuse to post this again:

This pitch lives rent free in my head, not gonna lie. Gives me massive Smash vibes, for some reason, too...

Oddball

Smash Lord
Okay. The specifics for Captain N.

Nintendo owns the characters. Always has.
DiC owns the episode rights.

So Nintendo can use the character Captain N anytime they want to (they just don't seem to want to) but they can't include episodes from the cartoon series without permission from DiC.

There was also a short lived comicbbok series that only used Nintendo characters, no Simon or Megaman or anything like that, (but they did have Samus) that listed all character depicted where property of Nintendo in the legal disclaimer section.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fourth Party is a bit like the term Metroidvania. It's not that it's the most ideal name, it's just that there's no one's thought of a better descriptor yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fourth Party is a bit like the term Metroidvania. It's not that it's the most ideal name, it's just that there's no one's thought of a better descriptor yet.
There is. It's the basic words; Non-Video Game Third Party. Simplicity is sometimes good(and less confusing for people who never heard of the term).

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Either you're first party which means you belong to that company (or at least co-owned or something), or you're a third party which means you don't belong to that company, simple as that.

As they're not owned by Nintendo, the likes of Spongebob, Goku, Optimus Prime, Batman, etc are just as "third party" as Sonic, Snake, Cloud, etc are...it's just that they're not video game characters and thus not eligible for Smash, that's the real distinction.

Has Sega Hard Girls ever even gotten a western localization? I don't think that would ever be referenced in Smash either way.
Most westerners introduction to Sega hard girls was in Hyperdimension Neptunia game where there was a crossover game

Top Bottom