• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
there is something i am curious about i remember sakurai stated he didnt Takamaru and Ayumi due to them being japanese exclusive characters but now that its no longer the case why they havent been added yet?
They may just simply not be in high demand.

Though in Takamaru's case, to go from being a sticker in Brawl, to being an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, then to being that, a spirit, and a Mii costume in Ultimate, he could very well be upgraded a full-blown playable character in the next game.

I'm not sure about Ayumi but the recent remakes might help her chances. It's very possible.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Hot Take: Asuka from Senran Kagura should've been an Assist Trophy. And as the sole representation of that series in Smash (No Spirit Boards nor Mii Costumes whatsoever).

dream1ng

Smash Lord
there is something i am curious about i remember sakurai stated he didnt Takamaru and Ayumi due to them being japanese exclusive characters but now that its no longer the case why they havent been added yet?
Well Ayumi's has already been said, it was that she was specifically considered for the retro spot for Melee, which is no longer an allocated spot on rosters. Like if ICs weren't added when they were added, there's a good chance we wouldn't have them at all. And a remake that sounds like it, unfortunately, didn't do all that great will probably also fall short of moving the needle a requisite amount for playability. But if she gets an actual new game she's in a good spot.

Same with Takamaru, new game-wise. As it stands, Takamaru is probably a case of a VC release not being high-profile enough to satisfy the actual concerns Sakurai had, which was a lack of familiarity with the character/series.

On that note; I was thinking that if Ayumi was in Melee, she’d be a semi-clone using Peach and Zelda’s moves.
Well if Ayumi was in Melee it would've been the retro spot, that was what Sakurai was referring to. And that spot was for an original character.

Which indie characters may have another chance to become a fighter?
I think all the ones currently in the game have a shot, though some have better odds than others. Other than Sakuna, who was fortunate to get attention. Some people will raise Touhou, and I think the chances for that are overrated, but it's certainly not inconceivable.

And I guess characters like Quote or the Knight from Hollow Knight have an outside chance, but I'd give the odds to either Shovel Knight or an Undertale character, with Cuphead following.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
A good exercise is to sift through Wikipedia's list of best-selling NES games, crossing out all third parties and games/series already repped by PCs in Smash, and then seeing what's left (with the reminder that sales charts should be taken with a grain of salt and aren't the only thing to consider of course).
I've done this for you, because I have nothing better to do. The results are surprising, as I feel like we have mostly exhausted the list already, with most of the franchises being already represented, and the others being games that don't exactly match up with a good character to work with, unless the sound of the game "GOLF" sounds worthy of a character slot. I'm skipping all but two of those generic sports games, but the rest are the list of games with no playable character in Smash listed as being published by Nintendo, in order from most sales to least:

1 - Tetris
2 - Exitebike
3 - Kung-Fu (NOTE: Game is a port of Kung-Fu Master, a game Nintendo did not orignally make)
4 - Ice Hockey
5 - Pro Wrestling
6 - R.C. Pro-Arm (NOTE: Was developed by Rare)
7 - F-1 Race (NOTE: Was developed by HAL Labs)
8 - Popeye

That's it, as far as the NES goes. The only ones left are an Exitebiker, an Ice Hockey player, or one of the Pro Wrestler characters.

Because I have even more time, I think I'll do the rest of the home consoles. Moving to the SNES:

1 - Killer Instinct (NOTE: Was developed by Rare)
2 - Super Mario RPG
3 - Pilotwings
4 - SimCity (I know this is technically third party, but we still got an assist trophy of one of the guys from here, so...)
5 - Super Scope 6
6 - Derby Stalion (NOTE: Was made by ASCII Corporation, which is not afflicted with Nintendo)

So, yeah, not much left here either. Only Pilotwings and Super Scope 6 are real contenders, unless they are willing to let Dr. Wright free from his Assist Trophy status (not likely), Super scope 6 also has a problem of basically not having any characters, unless they use the announcer lady who relayed instructions to you from a side-screen.

Continuing onto the N64, and wow, did Nintendo publish a lot of licened content here. There's two freakin' Star Wars games here, for crying out loud. I'm getting rid of those this time around, leaving us with:

1 - Wave Race 64
2 - 1080° Snowboarding
3 - Exitebike 64
4 - Cruis'n USA (Note: Was a port of a joint colab with Midway Games)
5 - F-1 World Grand Prix (Note: Developed by Paradigm Entertainment, not assoscated with Nintendo otherwise)

For the GameCube, we already exhausted the list. The only game that Nintendo published that isn't playable in Smash, if you want to be technical, is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, which might count if Cloud does it for you.

Going into the Wii, the only thing left is Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, if you are willing to let the Miis represent an asortment of "Wii" games like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

For the WiiU, the only games remaining are Nintendo Land, and Lego City Undercover, which hopefully I don't have to tell you about.

For those with eyes for the future, here's the Switch results:

1 - Ring Fit Adventure
2 - 1-2 Switch
3 - Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
4 - Miitopia (Maybe covered by Miis)
5 - Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
6 - Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
7 - Astral Chain
8 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Hopefully, I don't have to explain why this isn't good)
9 - Game Builder Garage

That's it for home consoles. If you want this sort of thing for handhelds, let me know and I'll find the time.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I've done this for you, because I have nothing better to do. The results are surprising, as I feel like we have mostly exhausted the list already, with most of the franchises being already represented, and the others being games that don't exactly match up with a good character to work with, unless the sound of the game "GOLF" sounds worthy of a character slot. I'm skipping all but two of those generic sports games, but the rest are the list of games with no playable character in Smash listed as being published by Nintendo, in order from most sales to least:

1 - Tetris
2 - Exitebike
3 - Kung-Fu (NOTE: Game is a port of Kung-Fu Master, a game Nintendo did not orignally make)
4 - Ice Hockey
5 - Pro Wrestling
8 - Popeye

That's it, as far as the NES goes. The only ones left are an Exitebiker, an Ice Hockey player, or one of the Pro Wrestler characters.

Because I have even more time, I think I'll do the rest of the home consoles. Moving to the SNES:

2 - Super Mario RPG
3 - Pilotwings
4 - SimCity (I know this is technically third party, but we still got an assist trophy of one of the guys from here, so...)
5 - Super Scope 6
6 - Derby Stalion (NOTE: Was made by ASCII Corporation, which is not afflicted with Nintendo)

So, yeah, not much left here either. Only Pilotwings and Super Scope 6 are real contenders, unless they are willing to let Dr. Wright free from his Assist Trophy status (not likely), Super scope 6 also has a problem of basically not having any characters, unless they use the announcer lady who relayed instructions to you from a side-screen.

Continuing onto the N64, and wow, did Nintendo publish a lot of licened content here. There's two freakin' Star Wars games here, for crying out loud. I'm getting rid of those this time around, leaving us with:

1 - Wave Race 64
2 - 1080° Snowboarding
3 - Exitebike 64
4 - Cruis'n USA (Note: Was a port of a joint colab with Midway Games)
5 - F-1 World Grand Prix (Note: Developed by Paradigm Entertainment, not assoscated with Nintendo otherwise)

For the GameCube, we already exhausted the list. The only game that Nintendo published that isn't playable in Smash, if you want to be technical, is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, which might count if Cloud does it for you.

Going into the Wii, the only thing left is Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, if you are willing to let the Miis represent an asortment of "Wii" games like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

For the WiiU, the only games remaining are Nintendo Land, and Lego City Undercover, which hopefully I don't have to tell you about.

For those with eyes for the future, here's the Switch results:

1 - Ring Fit Adventure
2 - 1-2 Switch
3 - Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
4 - Miitopia (Maybe covered by Miis)
5 - Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
6 - Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain
7 - Astral Chain
8 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Hopefully, I don't have to explain why this isn't good)
9 - Game Builder Garage

That's it for home consoles. If you want this sort of thing for handhelds, let me know and I'll find the time.
Yeah I've looked through all of these lists myself, but haven't taken the time to write it all out. I would definitely be interested to see the handhelds, but don't feel obligated of course. The handhelds do hold some interesting items like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, Nintendogs, and more, so you might have fun with it.

I would have crossed out Super Mario RPG, since that game stars Mario...I am prepared for the onslaught from Geno fans.

And when you do this exercise you see how things like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit could have stood out to Sakurai.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I know Double Dragon is fairly more known by western gamers, but the River City/Kunio has more legacy (The spirit event says much).
Speaking of which (as this may sound a little "off-topic")
I found these Kunio and Riki images from an old crossover collab with a baseball gacha app.
images.jpeg
7b195622.jpg
There's also one for Misako and Kyoko, but those are harder to find.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that Naka has had such a history of dubious behavior (just look up how he acted during Sonic X-Treme's development) that even with Square Enix's recent string of PR incompetence, it still feels more likely that the latter is the more innocent party in all this.

Yeah, the failure of Balan Wonderworld is somewhat rooted in SE not really understanding the appeal of platformers, but most of it lies in Naka's outdated instincts and stubborn refusal to embrace any sort of genuine complexity in his game design.
Despite how much of a dumpster fire Balan Wonderworld ended up being, I nevertheless like Balan's design. I am kinda hoping that the IP doesn't get written off completely as a result of this setback (if Squenix could revive Final Fantasy XIV, I don't see why not).

i dont see the problem with the addition of Visual Novel, Virtual Pet, Hatsune Miku and Clippy from Microsoft.
i do think what defines something as being video game is:
being a playable electronic program + being a form of entertainment
also the fact that we did have Pictochat and Miiverse stages and Mario Paint and Vince assist trophies shows that these kind of contents dont break the rules.
As others have pointed out, Nintendo first-party properties have the advantage. Could Hatsune Miku or Clippy qualify? Maybe. But it seems far unlikely that they'd be considered.

As for Digimon, I don't particularly have anything against it getting in (I'm a huge fan of the franchise myself), but I do see some major roadblocks for it. For one, while Agumon would be the most likely rep, there's a huge chance that it'd also showcase the evolution mechanic that so much of the franchise revolves heavily around. And if they did that, they'd effectively have to create multiple movesets for one character, which seems like more trouble than it's worth (though not impossible, if Joker and various transforming first-party characters are any indication)..... also, WarGreymon, maybe Omegamon, and technically MetalGreymon all debuted in the anime (I say technically because the MetalGreymon in the V-pets started as its blue Virus variant). But I think an even bigger issue for Digimon is that the public at large doesn't even seem to be all that familiar with its roots as a V-pet. I mean, if you asked a random person what Digimon is, you'd probably get a lot of responses about it being a Pokemon knock-off....... but beyond that, you'd also get some responses about it being a cartoon that aired on Fox back in the day (I doubt this would be exclusive to the west, either, given how much of a major hit the Digimon Adventure anime was in Japan, and that's despite the V-pets having way more of a presence over there). Having a lot of competition from other Bandai Namco properties probably doesn't help either (more so since Digimon is originally from Bandai, which has historically been less known for focusing on video games than Namco was).

Mike jones at least was a sticker on brawl
You sure about that? I'm not seeing him. Maybe you got him mixed up with StarTropics being listed in the Chronicle (which still go un-referenced in the Japanese version due to Brawl's Chronicles being region-based).

It's more like they don't want to completely alienate their home audience by acknowledging games that were never published in Japan. Likewise they sure as hell aren't gonna reference Captain N when it never even aired in Japan lol

The only real exceptions are like, Elite Beat Agents, and the Kid Icarus Of Myths and Monsters sticker in Brawl. But both of those are attached to IPs that do have a Japanese presence anyways.
I mean, for whatever it's worth, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters did eventually come to the Japanese 3DS's Virtual Console (after Brawl, granted), so it's not like past America-only releases couldn't come to Japan. However, I guess Japan's never seeing StarTropics for much the same reason that America's never seeing the older Fire Emblem games: StarTropics is a text-heavy game, and Nintendo doesn't seem all that willing to devote resources towards editing and localizing decades-old roms (unless it's a limited release of the first Fire Emblem..... for whatever sick reason).

Same with Takamaru, new game-wise. As it stands, Takamaru is probably a case of a VC release not being high-profile enough to satisfy the actual concerns Sakurai had, which was a lack of familiarity with the character/series.
For what it's worth, Takamaru did stop being a Japan-only character well before Smash4 or the WiiU Virtual Console. He was featured in Samurai Warriors 3, not just as a playable character, but also having his own game mode that essentially remade The Mysterious Murasame Castle (incidentally, this would be yet another instance of Nintendo letting Koei Tecmo use their IPs, maybe the earliest of what would eventually be many).

Some people will raise Touhou, and I think the chances for that are overrated, but it's certainly not inconceivable.
I've been to Japan. Trust me, the sheer reach that Touhou has in Nintendo's homeland can not be exaggerated (and having an overseas presence can only help).

The results are surprising, as I feel like we have mostly exhausted the list already, with most of the franchises being already represented, and the others being games that don't exactly match up with a good character to work with, unless the sound of the game "GOLF" sounds worthy of a character slot.
What? You don't think golfer in red shirt and black pants who vaguely resembles Mario wouldn't make an awesome Smash Fighter? XD

2 - Super Mario RPG
3 - Pilotwings
5 - Super Scope 6

Dr. Wright, while alluding to SimCity's creator Will Wright, seems to nevertheless be Nintendo's own original character. This is likely why he can even appear in Smash as an Assist Trophy (though even if he were to become a playable character, I guess the bigger issue would be what could be done for a home stage..... or hell, any amount of series content that wouldn't leave Wright envious of ROB).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
pretty sure sakurai is aware of the games that has yet to be announced way before any of us
nah. this last smash cycle has made it pretty clear that sakurai doesnt get to go behind the scenes for all games. botw, odyssey, 3 houses? sure. xb2 and arms? nope.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Which indie characters may have another chance to become a fighter?
I think Reimu would be the most likely due to long history and popularity in japan and still has worldwide audience.
I am not sure if Japan really care much about other indie characters that people wants outside of japan and may only seem worthly of a Mii costume only.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

LOL!

This is pretty funny but actually I could get behind a Tekken x Nintendo fighter.
A Nintendo fighter game that isn't Smash but more akin to a tradional fighting game would cover pretty much this. Think Pokken, but not limited to only Pokemon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's very easy to convince your party members however
I did not find that to be the case. I was forced down a story branch I absolutely did NOT want to take because I was completely unable to get even a single person to change their vote.

1 - Tetris
2 - Exitebike
4 - Ice Hockey
5 - Pro Wrestling
8 - Popeye
Kung-Fu and Popeye of course being 4th party titles.

I know Double Dragon is fairly more known by western gamers, but the River City/Kunio has more legacy (The spirit event says much).
They literally just announced a new Kunio game:
Like, 30-years-later they finally gave his 8-bit sprite his actual hair color. :p

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I did not find that to be the case. I was forced down a story branch I absolutely did NOT want to take because I was completely unable to get even a single person to change their vote.
You can sometimes walk around the area outside to gain extra information from villagers and soldiers to gain your allies' favor. The game kinda tells you so, but the pacing can be quite slow in the story telling so yeah, I imagine most are just happy to actually play when those phases happen.

It only happened to me once, in one of the latter chapters. The more you fight with these specific 7 allies the more they're willing to follow you and change their stance (you'll see this when trying to convince them too). NG+ won't have this issue most of the time, and it might be necessary to get through every path (if you want that, the Utility path is a harder one than the Morality and Liberty paths to convince your allies to walk with you).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here is a question if we do get a horror rep would you prefer it being the villain who is suppose to be the horror or the protagonist of the game?

Tbh I think Pyramid Head and Nemesis do Better job at representing a horror character than the protagonist of the games.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Here is a question if we do get a horror rep would you prefer it being the villain who is suppose to be the horror or the protagonist of the game?

Tbh I think Pyramid Head and Nemesis do Better job at representing a horror character than the protagonist of the games.

Maybe a character from one of these games!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, Takamaru did stop being a Japan-only character well before Smash4 or the WiiU Virtual Console. He was featured in Samurai Warriors 3, not just as a playable character, but also having his own game mode that essentially remade The Mysterious Murasame Castle (incidentally, this would be yet another instance of Nintendo letting Koei Tecmo use their IPs, maybe the earliest of what would eventually be many).
I'm aware, but clearly that doesn't seem to count, which is understandable.

"Who's this samurai guy?"
"What, you didn't play the submode of the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3?"

I think what Sakurai is looking for is an actual new game in the series.

I've been to Japan. Trust me, the sheer reach that Touhou has in Nintendo's homeland can not be exaggerated (and having an overseas presence can only help).
And were Smash only dealing with Japan, I wouldn't have those concerns. Outside Japan, Touhou's presence is mostly localized to fan circles on the internet, which is very different than other big series, and casts a distorted and falsely favorable picture of its magnitude overseas.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
1 - Wave Race 64
2 - 1080° Snowboarding
3 - Exitebike 64
Another thing I'd like to mention on this is that I think Wave Race would have had a serious chance at Smash, if only more people were familiar with the characters from that game (and maybe also if Blue Storm did better). Undervalued series. And I don't think it's that hard to come up with a moveset involving the jetskis, perhaps filled out with other water-based moves. At least Ryota is an obvious choice for the rep and you could maaaybe reference 1080 also if you really wanted to. Total long shot at this point, but it's neat to imagine at least...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
All those lists make me really wish Smash had more game representation in its stages, even if characters couldn't make it in. A Waverace or Excitebike level feels long overdue. Heck as much as I loathe Nintendo giving EA anything, a Sim City stage would almost be worth it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I feel like it depends - a lot of horror games are villain-centric, and Pyramid Head and Nemesis would do a good job with representing their franchises (though Leon, Jill, Chris, or Claire could also work), but to give a Nintendo-owned example, there's Eternal Darkness - either the hero (Alexandra Roivas) or the villain (Pious Augustus) could work for that. (one might be a college student while the other is an armoured skeleton, but thanks to the game's magic system, they'd have a lot of overlap in terms of moves)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You can sometimes walk around the area outside to gain extra information from villagers and soldiers to gain your allies' favor. The game kinda tells you so, but the pacing can be quite slow in the story telling so yeah, I imagine most are just happy to actually play when those phases happen.
I did all that. Still nothing.

The only thing I could have done was grind out convictions by doing the mock battles over and over again.

If Microsoft buys, can we make Batman the next meme Smash request?
Yes.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It's hard to give it to Nemesis over one of the protags when you consider his really only single appearance in a main RE (two if you're being generous). He's not the series' antagonist or anything. Even Wesker is closer to that.

Granted, he may be more interesting. My preference is classic, STARS Jill, but failing that, I'd take him over the alternatives. Chances, ofc, notwithstanding.

At least with Pyramid Head, he's basically become the mascot, and those protagonists are much less recurring (I think each game has a different one, though I'm less familiar with the series), and are... well... entirely normal people... physically. At least Chris punches boulders.

To be fair though, it doesn't seem overly likely Silent Hill would get a character, at least not when compared to RE.

I think Pyramid Head is one of the few exceptions where it probably wouldn't be a protagonist added, and I think another one, though this game isn't quite as "horror"-ish is BioShock, with Big Daddy.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I did all that. Still nothing.

The only thing I could have done was grind out convictions by doing the mock battles over and over again.

Yes.

😐

visualizing yellow checkmarks on Ryu Hayabusa, Billy Lee, and Bill Rizer

Though, I don't know why the Black Mage has a yellow checkmark.

Microsoft buy Netherrealm and Mortal kombat and we're getting Mortal kombat X Killer instinct.
I would love that!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

If Microsoft buys, can we make Batman the next meme Smash request?
I’m getting Deja Vu from this. Last time this happened they were like “no wait they make too much money for us” and backed away.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given the supposed big changes occurring after the Discovery merger with WB, the games division being offloaded doesn't feel entirely out of the question.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m getting Deja Vu from this. Last time this happened they were like “no wait they make too much money for us” and backed away.
I remember that as well. That is why I am surprised they are doing this again.
Given the supposed big changes occurring after the Discovery merger with WB, the games division being offloaded doesn't feel entirely out of the question.
Basically what the audience said: from what I can tell, Warner Bros/Discovery are still trying to figure out what to do with themselves post-merger. For example, DC is getting restructed, and more recently it was announced TNT and TMS are cutting back on original content (assuming I'm remembering that right). Considering there were reports of getting rid of the games division even BEFORE the merger happened, it's not THAT surprising...

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I wonder how intense the efforts to acquire WB games would be if it didn't come with the exclusive license to create games based on their properties like DC and Harry Potter.

Past Netherrealm, you get talented devs like Rocksteady, Avalanche, and Monolith (the other one), but companies other than like, Nintendo, are now more in it for the IP than the talent. And IP-wise, the only big gaming name is Mortal Kombat.

Without the license for the other stuff, and without selling piecemeal, it's quite a bit of overhead for really only one big property.

And that's without including the whole Lego situation, where Lego the company probably wouldn't be pleased with someone like Microsoft or Sony buying TT Games given the extremely multi-plat nature of basically every Lego game, and may look for a new developer if TT is prohibited from making multiplats.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Past Netherrealm, you get talented devs like Rocksteady, Avalanche, and Monolith (the other one), but companies other than like, Nintendo, are now more in it for the IP than the talent. And IP-wise, the only big gaming name is Mortal Kombat.
buying a company for the talent would be foolish. theres no guarantee that the people working there would stay

Top Bottom