• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The problem with 2B is that there’s so much competition for other Swuare-Enix characters. I do think she has a decent chance but there’s also Lara Croft, Crono, Geno, other characters from FF or KH, and others. Master Chief is probably the most likely Microsoft character but there are also a ton of other viable options there as well like Crash, Illidan, Kerrigan, Fulgore, the Battletoads, Diablo, Tracer, Doom Slayer, and others.
No additional KH character would be competing with a Square Enix owned character because they're owned by Disney (we literally just got Sephiroth AND Sora on the same pass lol).

As for Microsoft, Chief aside, I feel like the only characters you mentioned that really have any sort of notable demand for Smash are Crash and Doom Slayer. Fulgore, Battletoads, Kerrigan, etc just aren't drawing a crowd.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Stranger is another character in the Oddworld series that uses a crossbow with little creatures.

1647017842539.png
With pants
1647018350372.png
Without pants

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No additional KH character would be competing with a Square Enix owned character because they're owned by Disney (we literally just got Sephiroth AND Sora on the same pass lol).

As for Microsoft, Chief aside, I feel like the only characters you mentioned that really have any sort of notable demand for Smash are Crash and Doom Slayer. Fulgore, Battletoads, Kerrigan, etc just aren't drawing a crowd.
This is Raz erasure and I will not stand for it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I agree that RARE’s characters aren’t as mainstream as Master Chief but I don’t think they should be written off due to their history with Nintendo. Blizzard’s IP are right up there with Halo in terms of gaming history and popularity but haven’t been discussed much in terms of Smash. I feel like they are being overlooked personally. As for Kingdom Hearts, you’re right that they technically aren’t S-E so they wouldn’t be competing with 2B. My mistake. I do still think Chief and 2B both have a good chance but I don’t think they’re the only options for their companies.

Last edited:
As far as Square Enix characters go, I wonder if we'll still be thinking about 2B so much in 2024-2025. It's been about 5 years already, so I probably shouldn't be questioning it, but there is a possibility that they're working on another Nier title and there are games like FFXVI on the horizon. I wonder if those games would take over, or if 2B would remain in people's minds. And the other question is whether 2B would need to come to Smash early to avoid that issue.

Granted, I can't think of many big new gaming icons since 2B and Joker. It feels like there was a surge of new character driven video game experiences around 2017 that hasn't been matched since. Nothing that's taken the world by storm, anyway.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I agree that RARE’s characters aren’t as mainstream as Master Chief but I don’t think they should be written off due to their history with Nintendo. Blizzard’s IP are right up there with Halo in terms of gaming history and popularity but haven’t been discussed much in terms of Smash. I feel like they are being overlooked personally. As for Kingdom Hearts, you’re right that they technically aren’t S-E so they wouldn’t be competing with 2B. My mistake. I do still think Chief and 2B both have a good chance but I don’t think they’re the only options for their companies.
"Okay that does it.!" It would be really cool to see Master Cheif with the Crystal Sword and the Needler (& other machinery) in SSB6. Tbh Fox & Krystal from Star Fox: Assault had really cool a** Gattling Guns. Hint Hint Nintendo.
Yeah, Crash & his sister Coco bring back so many memories from the Xbox (&/or Playstation) days. They would be really cool playable characters aswell.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As far as Square Enix characters go, I wonder if we'll still be thinking about 2B so much in 2024-2025. It's been about 5 years already, so I probably shouldn't be questioning it, but there is a possibility that they're working on another Nier title and there are games like FFXVI on the horizon. I wonder if those games would take over, or if 2B would remain in people's minds. And the other question is whether 2B would need to come to Smash early to avoid that issue.

Granted, I can't think of many big new gaming icons since 2B and Joker. It feels like there was a surge of new character driven video game experiences around 2017 that hasn't been matched since. Nothing that's taken the world by storm, anyway.
Those were my thoughts as well. That’s why I feel like a character like Lara Croft who has a much longer legacy might have a better chance. Still, I don’t think anything is off the table and I never want to write any character off.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be honest, I don't think any character that's never been on Nintendo consoles have a chance.
I mean, Joker got in Ultimate and Cloud and Sephiroth only had minor appearances in Kingdom Hearts and spinoff games. I don’t think that’s much of a barrier at this point. Still, I do think relevance to Nintendo’s history should be a factor to consider for inclusion but no longer a barrier to prevent entry entirely.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I mean, Joker got in Ultimate and Cloud and Sephiroth only had minor appearances in Kingdom Hearts and spinoff games. I don’t think that’s much of a barrier at this point. Still, I do think relevance to Nintendo’s history should be a factor to consider for inclusion but no longer a barrier to prevent entry entirely.
Joker did appear in a 3DS game before he was announced for Smash Ultimate and like you said, Cloud and Sephiroth appeared in other games before then (with FFVII being released on the Switch before Sephiroth's announcement). So far, every character in Smash has had a previous appearance on a Nintendo console before and that's how I prefer it.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Joker did appear in a 3DS game before he was announced for Smash Ultimate and like you said, Cloud and Sephiroth appeared in other games before then (with FFVII being released on the Switch before Sephiroth's announcement). So far, every character in Smash has had a previous appearance on a Nintendo console before.
1647025148792.png

bottom text

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
& I'm not gonna lie I read this and in my mind I was like, I just remembered that one scene from Victorious (2010)
"Hey, Tori Vega/Shelby Marx. Maybe you should play a woman who loves to make out with two-foot tall guys who happen to be me."
"Is that what you wanted?"
"Rex?"
"Take me home."

:4palutena:(SSBB) "Oh, so sorry about that :pit:, wrong thread.!" Teleports away to next chapter

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Joker did appear in a 3DS game before he was announced for Smash Ultimate and like you said, Cloud and Sephiroth appeared in other games before then (with FFVII being released on the Switch before Sephiroth's announcement). So far, every character in Smash has had a previous appearance on a Nintendo console before and that's how I prefer it.
I don’t think those relatively minor appearances really make those characters feel like “Nintendo characters” in the same way a character with a history like Mega Man or Simon does. I don’t really see why showing up as a cameo in a side game changes anything.

At the same time, I do agree with you that I feel like a lot of people undersell a character’s relationship with Nintendo as an argument for their inclusion in Smash. It’s one reason I push more more RARE characters so much. From NES through the N64, RARE’s characters were synonymous with Nintendo so that’s why I’ll always view characters like the Battletoads, Fulgore, Joanna Dark, and Conker as honorary Nintendo characters and I feel like they all deserve a place in Smash despite their lack of current mainstream popularity.

That’s not to trash on characters like Joker, Cloud, and Sephiroth. They are actually three of my favorite characters in Smash with Sephiroth being number one. I just don’t feel like their inclusion in spin-off games really means much of anything.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It all counts as appearances on Nintendo consoles before Smash. Don't see what's wrong with that.

I don’t think those relatively minor appearances really make those characters feel like “Nintendo characters” in the same way a character with a history like Mega Man or Simon does. I don’t really see why showing up as a cameo in a side game changes anything.
They don't necessarily have to feel like Nintendo characters but they still count as appearances on Nintendo consoles before they were in Smash.

At the same time, I do agree with you that I feel like a lot of people undersell a character’s relationship with Nintendo as an argument for their inclusion in Smash. It’s one reason I push more more RARE characters so much. From NES through the N64, RARE’s characters were synonymous with Nintendo so that’s why I’ll always view characters like the Battletoads, Fulgore, Joanna Dark, and Conker as honorary Nintendo characters and I feel like they all deserve a place in Smash despite their lack of current mainstream popularity.

That’s not to trash on characters like Joker, Cloud, and Sephiroth. They are actually three of my favorite characters in Smash with Sephiroth being number one. I just don’t feel like their inclusion in spin-off games really means much of anything.
Yes, I also prefer honorary Nintendo characters and multiplatform characters over ones that are more associated with non-Nintendo consoles. I was never a fan of Cloud, Joker, and Sephiroth being in Smash either but I gotta be fair, they do have appearances on Nintendo consoles. So rather than be negative about it, I just look at the positives.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It all counts as appearances on Nintendo consoles before Smash. Don't see what's wrong with that.
The point is that "appearing on Nintendo consoles" isn't really the point. It'll probably help business negotiations if they're done with a company Nintendo has already worked with, but to count any Nintendo appearance as a reason someone gets in Smash can get beyond ridiculous.

Cloud wasn't a beloved and requested character because he was in Chain of Memories. It's because Final Fantasy VII was a massively influential game.

Same can apply for Joker. Anyone who seriously believes Joker got in because of Persona Q2 is really looking for excuses to fit the "must be on Nintendo" logic.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s just that it’s kind of a weird gatekeeping barrier at this point. Most people aren’t aware of the spinoff games so the general public is still going to see them as PlayStation characters anyway. What benefit is there to requiring an appearance on a Nintendo console at this point? It would make sense if the character had some relevance to Nintendo but for someone like Joker, it just feels like an arbitrary restriction.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The point is that "appearing on Nintendo consoles" isn't really the point. It'll probably help business negotiations if they're done with a company Nintendo has already worked with, but to count any Nintendo appearance as a reason someone gets in Smash can get beyond ridiculous.

Cloud wasn't a beloved and requested character because he was in Chain of Memories. It's because Final Fantasy VII was a massively influential game.

Same can apply for Joker. Anyone who seriously believes Joker got in because of Persona Q2 is really looking for excuses to fit the "must be on Nintendo" logic.
Nobody is saying that they wanted those characters in Smash because of those games but rather, those games provided a way for them to appear in the Smash series.

It’s just that it’s kind of a weird gatekeeping barrier at this point. Most people aren’t aware of the spinoff games so the general public is still going to see them as PlayStation characters anyway. What benefit is there to requiring an appearance on a Nintendo console at this point? It would make sense if the character had some relevance to Nintendo but for someone like Joker, it just feels like an arbitrary restriction.
Until there's something indicates that a character can get in without having appearances on Nintendo consoles, that's just the way it is right now. Some people like to dismiss it like it's irrelevant but Sakurai does care about a character's appearance on Nintendo consoles more than people think.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So, not Spring Man, is what you're saying?
I'd love to have Spring Man, but he really should be a Ken-style echo based on Min Min. I instead decided to go with some unique newcomer options.

I also went with BWD, X, and Jill/Leon as strategic votes. The reality is Spring Man will likely only get <20 votes total. I'd much rather boost some of my wants with some pre-existing momentum in the community.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Until there's something indicates that a character can get in without having appearances on Nintendo consoles, that's just the way it is right now.
There's also so much stuff on Nintendo that there really aren't a lot of franchises that never touched Nintendo hardware, so the options to break your mindset are seriously limited.

Even Kratos because of Fortnite and Aloy once Genshin Impact gets on Switch could still count as "Nintendo appearances" despite being very much not only the current mascots of PlayStation, but actually owned by Sony.

At this point, "Nintendo appearances" matters less and less the more time goes on, especially for you since you already count cameos.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nobody is saying that they wanted those characters in Smash because of those games but rather, those games provided a way for them to appear in the Smash series.

Until there's something indicates that a character can get in without having appearances on Nintendo consoles, that's just the way it is right now. Some people like to dismiss it like it's irrelevant but Sakurai does care about a character's appearance on Nintendo consoles more than people think.
Yeah, none of us really know for sure. It just doesn’t make sense to me to keep that restriction anymore. If you’re right, I can’t really complain because the chances of the Battletoads, Fulgore, and Sarah Kerrigan go way up if Master Chief is out of the equation.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, none of us really know for sure. It just doesn’t make sense to me to keep that restriction anymore. If you’re right, I can’t really complain because the chances of the Battletoads, Fulgore, and Sarah Kerrigan go way up if Master Chief is out of the equation.
If Wonder Smash counts anything, Master Chief is still possible because he's a Minecraft skin and showed up in Fortnite.

Like I just said, "Nintendo appearances" starts to matter less and less, making the whole restriction even more pointless than it already is.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
There's also so much stuff on Nintendo that there really aren't a lot of franchises that never touched Nintendo hardware, so the options are seriously limited.

Even Kratos because of Fortnite and Aloy once Genshin Impact gets on Switch could still count as "Nintendo appearances" despite being very much not only the current mascots of PlayStation, but actually owned by Sony.

At this point, "Nintendo appearances" matters less and less the more time goes on, especially for you since you already count cameos.
The options aren't that limited. There's still plenty of series that hasn't touched Nintendo consoles.

But as we're talking appearances, I'm not sure if skins or outfits count and even we were to compare Kratos and Aloy to Cloud and Joker, keep in mind that the latter two also had their games on Nintendo consoles prior to Smash while it's highly doubtful the same will happen to the former two anytime soon.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I'd love to have Spring Man, but he really should be a Ken-style echo based on Min Min. I instead decided to go with some unique newcomer options.

I also went with BWD, X, and Jill/Leon as strategic votes. The reality is Spring Man will likely only get <20 votes total. I'd much rather boost some of my wants with some pre-existing momentum in the community.
Well, that AND, they really were such a tease w/ The Assist Trophy Version of HIM. He was one of the characters that really caught my eye back then as well as Ribbon Girl. I really (3x), would like to see all 3 of them get some Sakurai love in SSB6.
X... & I forgOt that Megaman X was a much cooler variant than MEGAMAN (no hate). Besides him, I would like to see Zero (AND) Megaman.EXE/NT Warrior. I already forced my SSBB to have Zero as an "Echo" fighter, per sé, of Twilight Princess Link (same voice) & X (his own Moveset). Bc I was inspired by Project M.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While being a Nintendo virgin probably doesn't matter anymore, I'd still say it might be a factor, simply because Sakurai mentioned that Cloud might not have been the FF rep if he was never on a Nintendo console.

Granted, we're not entirely sure why Cloud might not have the FF rep without a Nintendo appearance. That could be Nintendo not wanting any characters without an appearance on their console, Sakurai not wanting any characters without an appearance on a Nintendo console, or Square being weird with licensing.

Plus, 2B and Nier will likely make an appearance on a Nintendo console sooner or later. Nier is still a Japan-focused IP and the Switch is dominating that region. If you want Japanese audiences to play your game, you put it on Switch, PS4, or mobile.

Ditto with Master Chief. Ignoring the constant rumours of the a Switch port for the Master Chief collection, Nintendo and Microsoft are really buddy-buddy currently and the success that Doom has had on the Switch shows that there is a market for FPSes on the console.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Why'd you list Sephiroth? I mean, Cloud is one thing, but by the time Sephiroth was announced for Smash, Final Fantasy VII was already on the Switch (officially making Cloud and Sephiroth's game of origin no longer a Sony/PC exclusive).

BTW Gengar84, have you checked out Inugami Korone doing a playthrough of the first Battletoads game? Might be worth your while, if only to get some perspective on how the original game is like in Japan (one thing I found amusing was that they kept pretty much every name untranslated, resulting in names spelled in Roman lettering popping up in the middle of standard Japanese text).
She never managed to complete it, though (limited continues and no save/passwords were just evil in older games), but she intends to continue it later. Incidentally, she's also been doing a playthrough of another Rare title, Banjo-Kazooie (though some might already know this if they've been paying attention to some of the memes it spawned). It was delayed for over a year due to technical issues (she's streaming the game natively from an N64), but now she's just about ready to do the finale.

Same can apply for Joker. Anyone who seriously believes Joker got in because of Persona Q2 is really looking for excuses to fit the "Nintendo-only" excuse.
I'd acknowledge that Cloud and Joker's Nintendo appearances are some pretty extreme forms of reaching. Sometimes, though, the other side does go a bit too far. A lot of people, to this day even, try to claim that Snake is a Sony character (especially since he mostly represents the Metal Gear Solid series and not the original Metal Gear, which was itself not really Nintendo-focused aside from a lousy port of an MSX title). However, they seem to conveniently forget that The Twin Snakes (a Game Cube-exclusive remake of the first MGS) was a thing not long before he blew up the internet in Brawl's trailer.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If Nier is still getting games around the next Smash, I figure 2B's popularity will remain high. She seems to be the face of the franchise despite the rotating cast, like Marth or Cloud or (to some extent) Lloyd. It's possible a new character comes along to challenge her, but that would be tough competition. She's quite popular. And it does seem like Square wants to keep the series going.

Really between now and then there's only more opportunities for the series to actually show up on a Nintendo system, which would further drive Smash-based popularity.

I don't foresee the character disappearing as a notable contender. She's new, and you never quite know with new characters, but she seems like the somewhat uncommon one these days that has made a longstanding impact.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Ditto with Master Chief. Ignoring the constant rumours of the a Switch port for the Master Chief collection, Nintendo and Microsoft are really buddy-buddy currently and the success that Doom has had on the Switch shows that there is a market for FPSes on the console.
Noted noted. &Jade "Intristeeeeeeng"

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why'd you list Sephiroth? I mean, Cloud is one thing, but by the time Sephiroth was announced for Smash, Final Fantasy VII was already on the Switch (officially making Cloud and Sephiroth's game of origin no longer a Sony/PC exclusive).

BTW Gengar84, have you checked out Inugami Korone doing a playthrough of the first Battletoads game? Might be worth your while, if only to get some perspective on how the original game is like in Japan (one thing I found amusing was that they kept pretty much every name untranslated, resulting in names spelled in Roman lettering popping up in the middle of standard Japanese text).
She never managed to complete it, though (limited continues and no save/passwords were just evil in older games), but she intends to continue it later. Incidentally, she's also been doing a playthrough of another Rare title, Banjo-Kazooie (though some might already know this if they've been paying attention to some of the memes it spawned). It was delayed for over a year due to technical issues (she's streaming the game natively from an N64), but now she's just about ready to do the finale.

I'd acknowledge that Cloud and Joker's Nintendo appearances are some pretty extreme forms of reaching. Sometimes, though, the other side does go a bit too far. A lot of people, to this day even, try to claim that Snake is a Sony character (especially since he mostly represents the Metal Gear Solid series and not the original Metal Gear, which was itself not really Nintendo-focused aside from a lousy port of an MSX title). However, they seem to conveniently forget that The Twin Snakes (a Game Cube-exclusive remake of the first MGS) was a thing not long before he blew up the internet in Brawl's trailer.
I couldn’t remember the timing of whether the FFVII port or Sephiroth came out first. Everything kind of blends together at my age lol. I’ll check out those Battletoads videos, thanks for the links. I was never able to get past stage 4 myself but I loved replaying the first three stages so much even if I sucked lol. Same goes for Battlemaniacs on the SNES. I was able to beat Battletoads & Double Dragon at least because that game was much easier. I wish there was a way to play that one these days.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The big interesting x factor in the next Smash will be the status that third parties will be in, especially those in the East. Smash was already huge and Nintendo still big during the negotiations for 4 and Ultimate. But now, with complete and utter domination of the Japanese market and 100 million plus Switches sold, they're in an even stronger position. Just looking at stuff like CyberConnect2 being strongly loyal to Sony, but eventually announcing a Switch port of the newest Demon Slayer, because realistically that was their best chance to get bigger sales back home?

That's been happening a lot and indeed may be happening more with all sorts of companies big & small. It may not necessarily have the biggest effect on outright character inclusion, but stuff like Mii costumes, items, assist trophies, spirits, and maybe even stages are likely going to be very much reflective of the place Nintendo is at, Western companies included.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it would be cool if we got a spinoff Smash game that's basically just a single player adventure game with a lot of cutscenes. Think Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks but obviously without all the violence.
I at least want a game where that’s the main focus. I’d love a super expansive mode like Subspace Emissary that I could play co-op with my brother and see all of the characters actually interacting together in some meaningful way. I feel like Sakurai gave up on the idea too easily rather than work on improving it. It was a little rough around the edges at first but I feel like it had potential to be something truly amazing if they worked on the parts that weren’t quite as strong and emphasized what was great about the mode.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think another Subspace Emissary would be greatly improved if most levels were character specific (thus allowing the level design not actually be generic this time) and if the "travelling through Nintendo" concept was actually leaned into for the gameplay and not just the cutscenes. Original enemies as an occasional novelty is fine, but the whole point of a big crossover is lost if the main focus isn't battling various Nintendo enemies across numerous franchises. Link fighting Metroids in Saffron City sells the idea far more than him hitting a freaky eyeball OC mook in front of a well rendered, but plain looking forest does.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think another Subspace Emissary would be greatly improved if most levels were character specific (thus allowing the level design not actually be generic this time) and if the "travelling through Nintendo" concept was actually leaned into for the gameplay and not just the cutscenes. Original enemies as an occasional novelty is fine, but the whole point of a big crossover is lost if the main focus isn't battling various Nintendo enemies across numerous franchises. Link fighting Metroids in Saffron City sells the idea far more than him hitting a freaky eyeball OC mook in front of a well rendered, but plain looking forest does.
Seconding this. One of the biggest issues with Subspace aside from gameplay issues was the boring locations and enemies. I wish that we got to go to some awesome locations that felt like they were truly inspired by various gaming locations. Imagine if instead of just getting beaten up by a ton of OC enemies in a bland area with little personality you actually were in places like say Spear Pillar or Dracula's Castle.

That being said... I do think that people do romanticize Subspace a lot. Like, the basic gameplay is flawed due to the fact that plenty of characters are just bad at platforming. True, you will have other options usually when playing through these areas, but it does sting that you have characters like Ike or Ganon who just are a slog to use when most of the gameplay is platforming. Sure, there is always this drive for "Subspace but good", but the thing is I do not know how much people would like SSE if instead of fighting tentacle sword bird in random generic location you fought a Cactaur in Gaur Plains. Would it help? Sure. But the thing is the core gameplay imo of SSE is super flawed. Several characters just overwhelmingly suffer due to the fact they are not designed to platform. Imagine the slog of being forced to play parts of Subspace as Byleth or Incineroar. The core gameplay of the mode just is kind of hard to do right and even if everything else was fixed, such as making more characters interact with each other, having inspired levels, and having inspired enemies, it would still be an uphill battle unless you make sure to adjust SSE to make sure that you can feasibly have fun with the entire roster.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, I agree completely. Some original worlds and enemies would be cool like they do for the end worlds in Kingdom Hearts but the majority of the content should come from existing games. That is the whole point of a crossover like Smash. Another area I feel could use more balancing is the knock back on higher difficulties. A lot of the time, enemies just knocked you all over the screen. It was still a lot of fun on Normal but I didn’t play on harder difficulties much for that reason.

As for character balance, I agree that can be tricky. I feel like you can adjust some parameters for problematic characters for that mode to make them play better. I don’t see a problem with giving Ganondorf some more speed and better recovery for this mode for example. It isn’t a competitive mode so the characters don’t have to be perfectly balanced against each other, as long as they’re all fun to play.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
While it doesn't technically have to be a Smash spinoff, I would love for Nintendo to make an official Super Mario Bros. Crossover game. There was the costumes in Super Mario Maker, Link in the sequel, and Samus, Link, and Kirby in a Mario stage in NES Remix 2. They might as well go all out and make a Mario game with Nintendo and third-party characters in it.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the case, I think it really just further shows that competitive Smash-players can never be satisfied and they only want the game to be as sterilized as possible. I'm just glad the roster's as remarkably balanced as it is, as I'm sure they would've gladly chucked away those 80+ characters just to once again have Fox and Falco with a little bit of Shiek and Marth if they had the chance.
I'm actually of the opinion that while Ultimate is the most balanced Smash game that people really oversell it. It also has its issues and problematic characters.

Anyway there's a host of reasons why they aren't used. Distracting backgrounds, the lack of a functional Z-Axis on certain retro-themed stages, TO concerns about music copyrights and frame drop issues. If Nintendo actually supported the scene a lot of these issues could be addressed.

I love using the BF and FD variants. It's a really great option to have and I'd be sad to see it go. If anything I'd like for the feature to be expanded upon by adding Small and Big Battlefield variants to each stage. On top of that I'd think it'd be sooooo awesome to add the ability to add "walls" or slim "pillars" to the bottoms of the stages like the Smash 4 Omega versions had.

Some of the Smash 4 Omega forms were legitimately superior like the ones for Onett and Bridge of Eldin.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Seconding this. One of the biggest issues with Subspace aside from gameplay issues was the boring locations and enemies. I wish that we got to go to some awesome locations that felt like they were truly inspired by various gaming locations. Imagine if instead of just getting beaten up by a ton of OC enemies in a bland area with little personality you actually were in places like say Spear Pillar or Dracula's Castle.

That being said... I do think that people do romanticize Subspace a lot. Like, the basic gameplay is flawed due to the fact that plenty of characters are just bad at platforming. True, you will have other options usually when playing through these areas, but it does sting that you have characters like Ike or Ganon who just are a slog to use when most of the gameplay is platforming. Sure, there is always this drive for "Subspace but good", but the thing is I do not know how much people would like SSE if instead of fighting tentacle sword bird in random generic location you fought a Cactaur in Gaur Plains. Would it help? Sure. But the thing is the core gameplay imo of SSE is super flawed. Several characters just overwhelmingly suffer due to the fact they are not designed to platform. Imagine the slog of being forced to play parts of Subspace as Byleth or Incineroar. The core gameplay of the mode just is kind of hard to do right and even if everything else was fixed, such as making more characters interact with each other, having inspired levels, and having inspired enemies, it would still be an uphill battle unless you make sure to adjust SSE to make sure that you can feasibly have fun with the entire roster.
I have seen many people wax nostalgic about the gameplay itself, so it obviously had its fans, but I do agree that some of its high regard is still there because the idea of it is so good and the cutscenes were executed well enough that they still resonate with people.

I will say that the freedom to take any character through formerly fighter specific levels would be a fine unlockable for a new SSE because there the novelty of such an experience would be paired with the initial stronger playthrough with the proper fighter. It wouldn't entirely address the sheer workload of designing so many levels to fit so many characters (to the point where an episodic release of Subspace content almost makes sense), but it'd be something.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My plan to play at least one game for every character in Smash is going well. Currently up to Yoshi on Twitch and just uploaded my first video with Mario on YouTube. I was also able to sort out solutions to some of the more challenging parts of this challenge.

Top Bottom