• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I’ll be real.

Tingle is the best possible choice you can to represent Zelda, and should have been on the roster sooner.

The ability to dislike is not a detriment to this character. Otherwise, why the **** are we supporting Waluigi? I don’t see any other side character having a dedicated spinoff duology. Commercially successful spinoffs, by the way. He was positively received in non-Western areas.

We’re getting the goddamn Fairy. He is coming home where he belongs as a gaming icon, goddammit! :sakbanjo: /s on this paragraph specifically
Tingle sucks and should canonically die like Winky Kong for Donkey Long Country. And also never appear again like Winky Kong lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'll be real.

Tingle shouldn't be anywhere near the Smash roster.

His biggest legacy is people not liking him, as unfair as that is.
That's only the case in part of the West. And even then I don't think it's as intense anymore as it was when Nintendo had to AVOID localizing the Tingle games for Americans.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Tingle just missed his chance. He’s not really a big deal these days, and his AT was removed even (maybe just because of Great Bay? I’m really not that sure). I’m not sure people even hate him as passionately as they used to, but it would be a weird time to introduce him now without the sufficient roles or popularity backing him. 10+ years ago it could have happened.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m not sure people even hate him as passionately as they used to,
Personally I think it's died down enough that I think Nintendo could get away with releasing Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland in America. Too bad that requires DS Online to be a thing, but since the Brits didn't hate Tingle enough to have the game be Japan exclusive, at least an English script exists.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The issue I saw is that we really lack content from Koei Tecmo. From the spirits to the mii costume... even square enix have more content than them in the game despite Koei Tecmo help Nintendo in a various of times.
Yeah, I’d love to see both Ryu Hyabusa and Lu Bu in the next Smash. I think both Ninja Gaiden and the Warriors games are big enough to warrant a character. Plus the Warriors games have awesome music that would be great for Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I always wanted to play the Tingle series, those games looked neat
As I said, Rosy Rupeeland was able to get released in Europe without backlash (as far as I know), so there are non-Japanese versions already for you to...legally acquire...without requiring a translation patch.

You'll need one for your TOTALLY LEGALLY ACQUIRED version of Tingle's Balloon Trip though.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Wrinkly Kong still appears in DK games bruh.

Also wtf dude, chill.
Does she? DK Jungle Climber back in 2007 was the last time (and most of the extended Rare DK cast sadly) appeared in a DK branded game.

but yeah in regards to Tingle I don't see why he'd be chosen at this point, he's neither really relevant nor popular enough of a choice like K. Rool was.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
I'm a little perplexed with what people want the Zelda cast to be.

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are universal and essential. Everyone rightfully thinks they should return.

Toon Link and Young Link are seen as superfluous. This makes sense as both characters are derivative of Link. And even if you think having a child Link is important, you probably accept that only one should stay.

It's Sheik where I becomes confused. A lot of people say she is expendable and should be among the first cuts. She's largely a one off character with only big celebration games like Smash or Hyrule Warriors bringing her back. I suppose I can understand not wanting one off characters in franchises that aren't built off of rotating casts, but then people push other one of characters like Midna and Skull Kid.

Midna and Skull Kid aren't bad choices in my eyes. They're both one off characters, but they're incredibly popular and are from monumental landmark games. Their resumes are incredible and they are some of the most beloved characters in their franchise. Many characters would be happy to have that on their resume.
Thing is Sheik has all of that, and is a long time Smash veteran with a very rich competitive history.

So, I have to ask what you want the Zelda roster to be? Just the essentials of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf? Should one offs be included too? Or should it only be reoccurring characters like Impa and Tingle?

I personally think a roster like :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink: and Skull Kid / Midna (with Ganondorf and Toon Link decloned) would make a lot of Zelda fans happy and would arguably be ideal. Don't get me wrong. I love Impa and I would love to see her inclusion. But Impa and Tingle don't have the sheer pop that Skull Kid and Midna (and Sheik) have.

I think any unique non Triforce wielded newcomer would be positively received but we need more characters like Sheik. And I think removing Sheik for a character like that misses the point.

Brawl and Smash 4's Zelda lineup + Impa, Pig Ganon, and Skull Kid. Maybe Rauru for the TotK fans.

With regards to Tingle... oof, that's one unlucky dude. The character's biggest claim to fame/infamy is an entire region not liking him, to the point where the devs have taken the hint and set him aside for years. And even if the general opinion on him has changed in recent years, it's too little, too late. There is a chance he might come back to the Zelda series, but in terms of Smash? He's got a lot of hurdles to jump before he can claim to have a fighting chance.

Something I just noticed is that Tingle isn't an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. They could have kept him around and not had him summonable on Great Bay (see Knuckles and Kapp'n), but they just... cut him entirely. RIP to that man

toonito

Smash Ace
I'll be real.

Tingle shouldn't be anywhere near the Smash roster.

His biggest legacy is people not liking him, as unfair as that is.
I personally agree

Tingle is probably the one realizable character I actually don't want AT ALL (I can live with most other choices for Smash)

never been a fan of his character and/or his humor and IMO is one of the aspects I like the least about the Zelda franchise.

As for my ideal Zelda roster for Smash:

:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsheik: Toy Link Impa (Age of Calamity)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What a loser.
Must be Opposite Day. I’m practically… Tingling. :2gud:

Something I just noticed is that Tingle isn't an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. They could have kept him around and not had him summonable on Great Bay (see Knuckles and Kapp'n), but they just... cut him entirely. RIP to that man
I didn’t like his Assist anyway. Riki and Togepi do the same thing but with hardly any downsides to the person who called upon them.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
If Waluigi were added, would he be considered part of the Mario series or Wario series (due to being the opposite version of luigi like wario is to mario)?

Additionally, if KOS-MOS were to be added... (spoilers for the Xeno games below I suppose)

...would she be considered a "Xenosaga" character or, with the likely merging of the Xenoblade and Xenosaga timelines as of the Xenoblade 3 DLC, be lumped into "Xenoblade" for brand recognition or whatever assuming such is the case...?

...either way, I'd feel she'd be a likely add at * some point * as long as Xenosaga gets remastered or remade for the switch 2 or whatnot due to being I think effectively Monolith Soft's mascot.

Oh, and then as for the current discussion on Zelda's roster, personally I'd probably like to see Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link or Skull Kid (for N64 Zelda game rep), Vaati, and Midna or some other supporting character as character #6, or just end at Vaati if five characters are all the series might get. I'm fine not having Sheik (due to technically being another Zelda in lore) as long as there's still a ninja in the game with, say, Greninja... or if a Zelda ninja's needed, then either have Sheik/Impa in that 6th slot or have Sheik return to being a Zelda transformation.

...I'd also like to see pink-haired Link from a Link to the Past be a costume for, uh, Link proper, though that's kinda just a pipe dream of mine. It's my favorite Link costume in SSF2, at any rate, heh.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If Waluigi were added, would he be considered part of the Mario series or Wario series (due to being the opposite version of luigi like wario is to mario)?
I mean by default he'd have to be considered a Mario character.

Dude literally has no role within any of the Wario games, Land or Ware. It'd be kinda weird otherwise.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
let's just cut the entire roster and be done with it
The only other possible way to satisfy my OCD besides EiH2!

Mario does have 9 characters compared to Zelda’s 6. Zelda has traditionally gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to newcomers plainly because it’s got a static main cast like Mario
Mario is orders of magnitude more popular than Zelda. Zelda having 2/3rds as many Fighters as Mario isn't even remotely the short end of the stick.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Additionally, if KOS-MOS were to be added... (spoilers for the Xeno games below I suppose)

...would she be considered a "Xenosaga" character or, with the likely merging of the Xenoblade and Xenosaga timelines as of the Xenoblade 3 DLC, be lumped into "Xenoblade" for brand recognition or whatever assuming such is the case...?

...either way, I'd feel she'd be a likely add at * some point * as long as Xenosaga gets remastered or remade for the switch 2 or whatnot due to being I think effectively Monolith Soft's mascot.

Oh, and then as for the current discussion on Zelda's roster, personally I'd probably like to see Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Young Link or Skull Kid (for N64 Zelda game rep), Vaati, and Midna or some other supporting character as character #6, or just end at Vaati if five characters are all the series might get. I'm fine not having Sheik (due to technically being another Zelda in lore) as long as there's still a ninja in the game with, say, Greninja... or if a Zelda ninja's needed, then either have Sheik/Impa in that 6th slot or have Sheik return to being a Zelda transformation.

...I'd also like to see pink-haired Link from a Link to the Past be a costume for, uh, Link proper, though that's kinda just a pipe dream of mine. It's my favorite Link costume in SSF2, at any rate, heh.
she'd still be considered Xenosaga as even with everything in Xenoblade they still need the copyright an licenses to do all their stuff with her games. If anything happens in the future of Xenoblade, itll still be a joint collaboration between Bandai Namco and Monolith Soft/Nintendo.

DKing

Smash Apprentice

Waluigi have technically no role in the Wario series. If he get add he will be add as a Mario characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i don't think that happened

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You don't justput a bunch of references at the end of final part of a trilogy climax to a predecessor series that was left on a massive cliffhanger and also linger on a post credits shot of something falling towards earth when that was the exact same thing KOSMOS herself was doing at the end of her trilogy without it being more than just a "cute little easter egg"

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
In the radio scene in the DLC, the most referenced & most explicitly referenced non-mainline-Xenoblade-Xeno-game(s) is Xenosaga. Additionally, the blue light in the post-credits scene is heavily implied from what I've seen to be KOS-MOS as she fell to earth at the end of Xenosaga 3. Furthermore, Xenosaga's timeline could be slightly retconned/readjusted to account for mainline Xenoblade's events, but Xenogears and Xenoblade X would need massive plot revisions for the same to be true. This implies, but doesn't technically confirm, that Xenosaga and the mainline Xenoblade games take place in the same overall timeline.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
In the radio scene in the DLC, the most referenced & most explicitly referenced non-mainline-Xenoblade-Xeno-game(s) is Xenosaga. Additionally, the blue light in the post-credits scene is heavily implied from what I've seen to be KOS-MOS as she fell to earth at the end of Xenosaga 3. Furthermore, Xenosaga's timeline could be slightly retconned/readjusted to account for mainline Xenoblade's events, but Xenogears and Xenoblade X would need massive plot revisions for the same to be true. This implies, but doesn't technically confirm, that Xenosaga and the mainline Xenoblade games take place in the same overall timeline.
I mean Xenogears getting a plot retcon wouldnt bother most people since it has quite a few issues and flaws so a retcon would actually be to its benefit and make it more digestible and engaging.
X is whatever, that could still work with a retcon and I doubt most would care if it turned out Earth didnt acttually asplode in its canon, but it could just be an AU merging or whatever.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think Tingle just missed his chance. He’s not really a big deal these days, and his AT was removed even (maybe just because of Great Bay? I’m really not that sure). I’m not sure people even hate him as passionately as they used to, but it would be a weird time to introduce him now without the sufficient roles or popularity backing him. 10+ years ago it could have happened.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Tingle has his fans and the antipathy towards him has greatly faded, but in terms of sheer relevance it's basically been the playable role in Hyrule Warriors and little else. A decade ago, him being included would make a lot of sense even with the then North American disdain for the character.

Now though with so many notable figures introduced in the BoTW/AoC/TotK trilogy and the enduring LoZ characters introduced before even that, he just comes off as a character last really notable in the mid to late 00's with the novelty of some region-specific games that Nintendo doesn't even reference that much.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You don't justput a bunch of references at the end of final part of a trilogy climax to a predecessor series that was left on a massive cliffhanger and also linger on a post credits shot of something falling towards earth when that was the exact same thing KOSMOS herself was doing at the end of her trilogy without it being more than just a "cute little easter egg"
hmm only KOS-MOS is in 2

Last edited:

Borskaboska

Smash Apprentice

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are universal and essential. Everyone rightfully thinks they should return.

Toon Link and Young Link are seen as superfluous. This makes sense as both characters are derivative of Link. And even if you think having a child Link is important, you probably accept that only one should stay.

It's Sheik where I becomes confused. A lot of people say she is expendable and should be among the first cuts. She's largely a one off character with only big celebration games like Smash or Hyrule Warriors bringing her back. I suppose I can understand not wanting one off characters in franchises that aren't built off of rotating casts, but then people push other one of characters like Midna and Skull Kid.

Midna and Skull Kid aren't bad choices in my eyes. They're both one off characters, but they're incredibly popular and are from monumental landmark games. Their resumes are incredible and they are some of the most beloved characters in their franchise. Many characters would be happy to have that on their resume.
Thing is Sheik has all of that, and is a long time Smash veteran with a very rich competitive history.

So, I have to ask what you want the Zelda roster to be? Just the essentials of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf? Should one offs be included too? Or should it only be reoccurring characters like Impa and Tingle?

I personally think a roster like :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink: and Skull Kid / Midna (with Ganondorf and Toon Link decloned) would make a lot of Zelda fans happy and would arguably be ideal. Don't get me wrong. I love Impa and I would love to see her inclusion. But Impa and Tingle don't have the sheer pop that Skull Kid and Midna (and Sheik) have.

I think any unique non Triforce wielded newcomer would be positively received but we need more characters like Sheik. And I think removing Sheik for a character like that misses the point.
First, yeah Link Zelda and Ganon the Dorf are absolutely musts. While I like them as they are, I wouldn't mind them getting redesigned after newer games. Link can fuse his bombs to his arrows, Zelda's phantom is reflavored as an eccho and her grab is turned into her linking ability, and Ganon gets gloom effects on his attacks (sadly, if you lean into Ganon's TotK look you can;t give him his incredible cape deflector.)

The biggest reason people are anti Sheik, at least from what I see, is because she can be easily replaced by Impa who is a much more consistent presence in the series. She's like the only reoccurring character in the series left besides.... Tingle? Beetle? Epona??? I think Impa could slot over pretty easily onto Sheik's moveset, hopefully with her SS design because I think she looks cool. Maybe change one of her specials into something involving the Lens of Truth. Law in one of the One Piece fighting games has a move where he can create a circular area around him where, if the opponent enters it, all of Law's move connect no matter what. I imagine it working like that.

I do think the toon-series of games should be represented, but if I could choose any character for it then instead of Toon Link I'd go with Tetra (yes, I see the irony of saying we she cut Sheik, who is just a version of Zelda, for Tetra, who is another version of Zelda). I just like her pirate look, I think you could lean into that for an interesting moveset. Her normals would have her use the knife on her model, she could have moves involving the ship attachments like the canon and the salvage crane. You could also let her use the wind waker items that Toon Link doesn't get to use, like the grappling hook and the skull hammer. For some reason I imagine her having a move that summons a hanging lantern on a rope that swings around like Maria's power line move from Jojo's HftF.
Final Smash? Her crew puts the opponent in a barrel and launches them from a catapult.

Midna, to be completely objective, would be sick as hell. She could ride on Wolf Link (yet another link on the roster), and her big hand hair could make her a cool rushdown/grappler mix, and we don't currently have any female grappler characters on the roster. And I know Sakurai likes doing this a lot, the Twilight power effects would look cool as unique hitsparks.

For Skull Kid, we all know what his final smash would be, he makes the Moon Fall. Classic, iconic. I have no idea what the rest of his moves would be. He has a trickster god aesthetic going for him, like a Loki-esque look, but i can't help but imagine it'll get interpreted as generic purple magic blasts. He curses a lot of characters is MM, so it'd be cool if every character had a special cursed-form like some moves in Darkstalkers, but I doubt that'd happen. However, Skull Kid and Midna have such simmilar support I feel it'd be weird to add one and not the other.

Midna and Skull Kid are the obvious front runners for any one-off character, but I have been die hard in favor of Guardian from Breath of the Wild. Now, I started supporting them before TotK released and I thought they would be coming back, but still. I want guardian to crawl around on testicle legs. I want them to be absolutely giant, like the biggest character in the game. I want them to be this imposing terminator character that can shoot giant lasers. I want one of their legs to be able to get broken off and they can pick it up and throw it. I just like big robot characters. If Guardian has one supporter, it's me. If Guardian has no supporters, I'm dead.

So to answer your question, I think the necessary zelda cast is Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Impa. If there's room after that, I'd add Tetra, Midna, Guardian, and Skull Kid in that order.

But consider... after Piranha Plant got added, we have the opportunity to do something really funny.
BOKOBLIN FOR SMASH!

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
and you know whats CRAZY? In 2 they didnt need to get the licenses for her to be in the game iirc, but they DID need to get that stuff for the references in Future Redeemed's final cutscenes.
There's also the matter of Shulk and Fiora also being (DLC) blades in XC2, but there's literally no realistic possible way they could be there in-lore to my knowledge. I'd assume KOS-MOS in XC2 is the same - another cameo blade, rather than actually being there canonically.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

My roster would be:
:ultlink::ulttoonlink: :ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsheik: + Impa (Skyward Sword) as a Sheik echo and Master Kohga (Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom) as the newcomer.

I debated on cutting Toon Link. Neither Link or Toon Link really lean towards being based on their specific incarnation in their moveset and I don’t see that changing. Link, even in his Breath of the Wild-inspired form, sticks very closely to the general set he’s had two incarnations ago. Even if it were likely for a moveset to be completely overhauled, I’d rather have Zelda take inspiration because BoTW Zelda is by far more popular than the ALBW-version. Still, there is virtue on having a quick and nimble version of the Link set, even if the moveset itself is basically the same.

Sheik should stay imo, it’s such an iconic moveset and while you could bring only bring in Impa to Black Shadow the Sheik set, I think having her as Echo while keeping Sheik herself on board is just how Smash does it. Ideally Impa would have costumes for both the young Impa in Skyward Sword and her future old version, not sure how feasible that is.

As for the newcomer, it should be Master Kohga, full stop. He appears in both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, so he’s neither a one-off or a character that only appears in one half of the Switch duology. He’s a fan-favorite and has the personality to sell the more out-there mechanics of both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom to represent those games without having to overhaul either Link, Zelda or Ganondorf. If Link were to go back to his Twilight Princess-design, Kohga can go all-in on the Switch duology and Link can get his iconic green tunic back.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
and you know whats CRAZY? In 2 they didnt need to get the licenses for her to be in the game iirc, but they DID need to get that stuff for the references in Future Redeemed's final cutscenes.
I feel like they definitely did need to get the licenses. Official art of KOS-MOS has the Bandai-Namco copyright on it, Bandai-Namco is all over the credits, and figures of KOS-MOS from Xenoblade 2 specifically released by GoodSmile in 2020--three years after Xenoblade 2 came out--still have Bandai-Namco copyrights on them.

There are also mentions of Square Enix in the credits of 2 as well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Its kinda fascinating to me how Xenoblade and Xenosaga are for all intents and purposes the same series, with the same general lore connecting them despite being owned by two different companies.

The only other example i can think of of something similar to this happening is the cartoon Doug.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
What new stages might people want to see (that don't necessarily have to be related to a particular character)?

To me, at least, even if I don't think there's a good Dark Souls character that'd work/be a good choice for Smash for one reason or another, It'd be cool to see Anor Londo (at least its dark souls 1 version) as a stage. Additional stages I'd think would be neat would be a Monster Hunter stage (especially if they keep a boss Rathalos around) and a Tetris stage.

I'd also think a proper Bowser's Castle stage is long overdue, though I don't think that's exactly an unpopular opinion.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Being fine with one-offs generally, or even just in principle, is not the same as supporting all of them. One can want one and not another.

Just being one-offs in a major 3D Zelda game does not make them necessarily equal on merit. I just think Skull Kid and Midna are centralizing forces in their games of origin in a way that someone like Sheik simply isn't. And given that those two and several others all feel more important to me to include than Sheik, it only becomes more and more difficult to justify Sheik being there for anything except to pacify the Melee nostalgists.

Things would be bad for Sheik without it, but the fact that it's just Zelda in disguise only makes it worse, because it feels like extrapolating a fairly minor dimension of the overall persona of Zelda into a full new character. But again, even if you don't take that perspective and consider Sheik as an entirely separate character, then all the above points still apply.

Top Bottom