• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newer Smash player looking for a main to settle on.

FrostFeydryn

Smash Cadet
I'm really enjoying this game so far, and I feel like it has the potential to hold my time for many years to come. Currently I have reached a wall. I am having trouble choosing between Lucina, ZSS and Rosalina for my Absolute main in this game. I believe they are fun and have potential but Learning this game can be harsh at times for a newer player so I kinda need all the advantage I can get. Do you all think that either of these 3 are good starters? And if so what is the best method to learning the mechanics. Personally I was going to just play like 3500 straight games with one character until I just drowned my muscle memory with this game.

Thanks.

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
In my personal experience the best starter is whatever you enjoy playing the most. You don't have to pick just one to learn either you can pick multiple although it requires more effort to get good at each.

As for the best way to learn I find that playing a lot is good but also watching some higher level players play the same characters is really good.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Lucina is ideal for beginner players that can't use Marth to his professional extent. I think she's much easier than ZSS or Rosalina, but take your pick.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
There are some good questions that depending on their answers can give you an idea of what character to play:
  • Do I want to be a competitive player?
  • Do I have fun using the character I am currently playing?
  • How much time am I willing to invest in learning my character?
You already answer two of those three questions. From your post you want to invest highly in your character of choice, and you definitely have fun playing all three. However, the first question is something you need to still ask yourself. And it is pretty important. In competitive play, some characters have greater potential than others. That will be the case unfortunately, unless some weird patch changes a lot of aspects of the game then that will remain that way for a while.

Sirlin gives a great example regarding how to imagine each characters potential. Imagine a mountain range. Each mountain has different altitudes. Hence, some peaks are greater than others. To get to that peak you have to invest a lot of time into a character. However, if you invest time into a character would probably want to invest that time into a character that lies on a higher peak.

As of right now, the general consensus is that Lucina's peak is lower than many other characters and it is pretty clear with some of them. Should this mean that you should choose ZSS or Rosalina & Luma? It relies with the answers to your questions. In fact, Lucina's peak potential, in fact a lot of characters potentials are relatively undiscovered at this point. Although many people are arriving to some early conclusions.

In my case I chose Lucina because I have been a Marth main in previous games, Melee, P:M, and I have a stronger connection to Lucina because of FE:A. However, in competitive play I switch between both Marth and Lucina and the occasional Shiek thrown in when I am having a tough time on a certain match-up.

Last edited:

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Lucina seems easier to use to me as Rosa or ZSS.
While that can help as a starter, it doesn't need to be a main reason to choose your pick.

You also don't have to settle on one main and one main only.
You can choose all 3, or just 2 or still settle on 1. It's your choice.

Generally, we can't give a definite answer.

Sometimes it can also help to play with all 3 more and let time tell how you develop with the 3 chars.
Maybe your main choice will become clearer, maybe not.

Also I second the vids.
Recording your own matches and watching them back to evaluate them is also helpful.
+generally looking up guides and stuff, for chars, basics, etc.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
If you are just starting out, the best way to learn the game is to learn all the characters instead of just settling into one. After you have a good feel for the potential of every character then it is ok to settle into a main in my opinion, but before that you are kind of just hindering yourself. A big part of playing with Lucina especially is being able to predict what your opponent is going to do and punish them for it. If you don't have a good feel for the character you are playing against you are probably going to fall on your face.

And who knows, after you have tried out everyone, you might find someone that you mesh really well with that isn't one of the three you mentioned wanting to main. I ended up maining Lucas in Brawl simply due to the fact I got really good with him trying to clear boss rush mode, and he was probably one of the last people that I would have thought I would have ended up maining. Too bad he isn't in Smash 4 :(

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Well if you are a new Smasher, who wants to play competitive, best character to try and learn the basics on is Mario. Good knockback, mobility, and fairly easy combos. But considering this the Lucina thread, she herself is a good starter, certainly more recommended to start using over Marth if you're just starting out.

Top Bottom