• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer here! Looking for general smash advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooninator

Smash Rookie
Hello Smash community! I have recently got into Smash 4's competitive scene. I am still pretty new to the game, but I know the controls and whatnot. I would love some general advice on Smash 4 competitively. I am going to main Toon Link, so if there is any advice specific to him, I would love to hear it.

Thank you!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Welcome to the boards. If you ever wanna smash friend me. Toon Link and Duck Hunt are like opposites so we should have some fun battles :p

Pyr

Smash Lord

Cowhunter

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cowhunter
First thing to learn with Toon Link is how to play in a more defensive, projectile-based style. Toon Link is a rare mixture of a zoner with a strong as fast sword for close combat. This means that you can play keep away at low percents, throwing bombs, shooting arrows, and flinging boomerangs until your opponent finally approaches you. Only to get smacked off-stage by your sword (or grab!). Learning to upsmash and grab out of shield are perhaps the two best ways to punish an opponent for getting too close. These, however, are only a few basic strategies for Toon Link. For more advanced and complete strategies, look for your character thread (as given by Pyr above) and watch good Toon Link players on Youtube or Twitch (such as Zan or Ririnkal).

If you need help figuring out what all these terms and such mean, feel free to either ask or browse the appropriate forum. Good luck with Toon Link!

Edit: There's also a beginners to intermediate guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AM_DsEiwE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom