• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie looking for tips

WestehThePumpkin

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm new to smashboards and I got really into the competitive scene a couple of months ago, I know how to wavedash and what L-cancelling is. I started playing jigglypuff a week ago or so, could anyone give me some tips on combos such as upthrow rest just so I could get the basics.
Thanks in advance.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
The most productive thing you can do for now is watch a ton of Hungrybox (along with other Puffs like S0ft, King, and Mango for variety), get consistent with basic tech skill (L-cancelling, wavedashing, and rising pound mostly), and play as many games with people who are better than you as you can. The best way to improve is definitely to dive in. If you really want to see the information written out rather than learning it from watching pros (which you should still do), then these two threads are good places to start:
1. http://smashboards.com/threads/mah0nes-stuff-about-puff.298777/
2. http://smashboards.com/threads/jigglypuff-knowledge.320186/

There aren't too many combos to learn as Jiggs since most of her combos are really situational. Up tilt, up air, pound, and up smash can all combo into rest, you just need to learn when to go for them. Dair combos into grab or up smash, but it'll take you a while to get used to L-cancelling that one.

Massive

Smash Champion
My advice is to find another character, seriously.

Puff is a great character, but she has a BRUTAL learning curve playing against competent players.

Puff is basically an all strategy and spacing character. She relies on prediction, zoning, and spacing to play beyond a low level, and that's all stuff you learn from playing other people. Unless you have a huge pool of people to play against regularly, gains in ability are going to be way slower than if you started out with another character.

If you like the floaty feel and want to get reasonably good pretty quickly, try out marth, sheik, gannondorf, peach, or samus. They all feel kind of similar to puff in aerial timing, but have much gentler learning curves and are far less discouraging for new players.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Unfortunately people don't appreciate Puffs and don't understand why she is not the easiest character in the game.
Just as massive said, she relies on mental ability more than mechanical skills. So if you are one of those players who doesn't care to grind alone Puff is a pretty good choice.

Learn the range of all of your moves. Puff loses all of her advantage if the moves aren't spaced well. She can't do the in your face nair forever thing like Fox. It's more about patient conditioning with well spaced aerials abusing that aerial mobility. Unless you are going in, retreat your aerials. If you jump away and bair it's almost impossible to do anything about it.

Top Bottom