• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(new?) Yoshi exclusive technique

Danky

Smash Rookie
Hello Smash boards! I made an account just to post about this. I believe I've discovered an extremely useful technique that only Yoshi can perform. It's quite possible that this has been discovered and put into use already, but I certainly haven't seen any other yoshi players use it.

I'm going to go ahead and name it the Shield-Cancel.

Effect: instantly pop out of shield into any ground attack or movement.

How: double jump very quickly out of shield. Since Yoshi can now jump out of shield, he can cancel the jumpsquat with a double jump, leaving him ready for any follow-up.

Inputs: while holding shield, Y/X, flick control stick up, let go of shield. Should be done fairly quickly.

Uses: D-smash OoS, F-smash OoS, Dash OoS, styling (shield cancel while continuing to hold down shield causes a 'fake' popout, which can be repeated quite quickly), up-tilt OoS, etc.

Put simply, this technique makes Yoshi's shield the most dangerous in the game. Not only can he not be shield poked, not only can he jump out of shield, but he can also instantly attack out of it.

I don't have any video of this unfortunately, but I can make a crappy quality phone cam video if need be. Try it yourselves though! I want this spread to all yoshis around the world!

I would also be very curious to see frame data on this technique, such as how many frames a shield-cancel down smash would take.

Let me know what y'all think!

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
What you're doing is a double jump land out of shield. Peach, Mewtwo, Ness, and I think Lucas can all do this as well, although Yoshi's unique shield means he arguably gets the most mileage out of it.

Last edited:

Danky

Smash Rookie
That's true, those characters can all do it. Not Yoshi exclusive then. But I do believe that Yoshi benefits the most from it! Due to the speed of shield canceling, it can be looked at like the closest thing to a parry yoshi has. Shield stun still has to be taken into account, but the flexibility of shield cancel is undeniable.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
This has been known about for a while, and isn't really all that necessary. You can simply do an up smash out of shield since Yoshi has a 5 frame jumpsquat, which gives plenty of time to input an upsmash.

didds

Smash Lord
Necessary? no
Extremely useful? hell yea

You can do usmash outta shield of course, but I like the option of being able to do anything oos. Dsmash outta shield is too good.

Danky

Smash Rookie
Up-tilt OoS is amazing as well since you can set up for juggles. It's all about options, right?

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
Hello Smash boards! I made an account just to post about this. I believe I've discovered an extremely useful technique that only Yoshi can perform. It's quite possible that this has been discovered and put into use already, but I certainly haven't seen any other yoshi players use it.

I'm going to go ahead and name it the Shield-Cancel.

Effect: instantly pop out of shield into any ground attack or movement.

How: double jump very quickly out of shield. Since Yoshi can now jump out of shield, he can cancel the jumpsquat with a double jump, leaving him ready for any follow-up.

Inputs: while holding shield, Y/X, flick control stick up, let go of shield. Should be done fairly quickly.

Uses: D-smash OoS, F-smash OoS, Dash OoS, styling (shield cancel while continuing to hold down shield causes a 'fake' popout, which can be repeated quite quickly), up-tilt OoS, etc.

Put simply, this technique makes Yoshi's shield the most dangerous in the game. Not only can he not be shield poked, not only can he jump out of shield, but he can also instantly attack out of it.

I don't have any video of this unfortunately, but I can make a crappy quality phone cam video if need be. Try it yourselves though! I want this spread to all yoshis around the world!

I would also be very curious to see frame data on this technique, such as how many frames a shield-cancel down smash would take.

Let me know what y'all think!
I'm pretty sure that's melee tech, DDC out of shield

Danky

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that's melee tech, DDC out of shield
The tech I'm describing requires a jump OoS, so I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What's DDC OoS in melee? I'm not familiar with it.

didds

Smash Lord
you guys are talking about the same thing I think.

Shielding > Jump > DJ to immediately ground yourself > act

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
uote="Danky, post: 17185454, member: 255708"]The tech I'm describing requires a jump OoS, so I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What's DDC OoS in melee? I'm not familiar with it.[/quote]
Wh
The tech I'm describing requires a jump OoS, so I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What's DDC OoS in melee? I'm not familiar with it.
In the frames of parry you can jump out of shield.
Like didds said "same thing".

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The startup is slightly slower but the WD loses velocity over time which the dash doesn't, comparing speeds can only be done with a set amount of time. For a attack very shortly after the respective OoS option WD has more distance, otherwise the dash is faster. The dash has more options though because it doesn't cause 10 frames of LandingSpecial animation so you have far more defensive options (shield immediately etc.), and doing an empty pivot can stop your momentum when you want to use it as to a longer WD.
Dash OoS might be Yoshis best OoS together with nair OoS, up-air and WD OoS

didds

Smash Lord
pivot grab OoS is ****ing amazing too. DJC shield, dash away into immediate pivot grab, sooooo pretty.
it's greatness is pretty much dependent on conditioning the opponent to expect an attack out of shield, but then the added grab mixup makes it super scary to pressure Yoshi's shield.

Where do most of you feel Yoshi is on the tier list btw?

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Yoshi's double jump dips lower than most other DJC characters, which allows for anything that isn't normally done with a jump. Aerials & JC Usmash / grabs are best to use as basic OoS options, but this tech allows tilts, smashes, and specials to be used faster than dropping shield. I believe it's possible to use DJC Yoshi bomber (DownB) OoS. The way that it pops a player up and into the strong hitbox could be a practical and useful OoS tech if done correctly.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's double jump dips lower than most other DJC characters, which allows for anything that isn't normally done with a jump. Aerials & JC Usmash / grabs are best to use as basic OoS options, but this tech allows tilts, smashes, and specials to be used faster than dropping shield. I believe it's possible to use DJC Yoshi bomber (DownB) OoS. The way that it pops a player up and into the strong hitbox could be a practical and useful OoS tech if done correctly.
It's definitely possible, and it's a tool you should incorporate into your game. It kills floaties and medium fall speed characters if they try to pressure shield. It's also really good out of a grab parry. Think a Marth going in for a grab. You parry the grab and then double jump land OOS into down b. Insta kill at like 80%+

Top Bottom