• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way to Ledge hog (maybe?)

RyutsNoir

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been found yet. Looked all over but can't find anything on it. If it's know then my bad D:

Any character can Pivot walk off the stage and grab the ledge almost as fast as a Brawl walk off grab.
How to perform
Hold A
Walk (not dash) in a direction.
Tilt up, and slightly backwards on the C-stick.

Any character can do it I believe. Tested with a number of them (Though timings are all slightly different based on falling speeds and aerial mobility)

I can't make a video but it's not difficult to perform

Here's a video of pivot walking anyways for those who don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacIYsrRvq0

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
In Melee (and PM) the fastest way to the ledge for most characters is dash>pivot turn around the frame before your teeter animation> fall of grab ledge. Its very hard timing wise but is faster than a wave dash to the ledge.

How fast this is depends on the character's pivot walk speed. I do like how it gives you the option to tilt recoveries on reaction though.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
In Melee (and PM) the fastest way to the ledge for most characters is dash>pivot turn around the frame before your teeter animation> fall of grab ledge. Its very hard timing wise but is faster than a wave dash to the ledge.

How fast this is depends on the character's pivot walk speed. I do like how it gives you the option to tilt recoveries on reaction though.
oh
Didn't know that
Learning that this is now

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord

Damn you you just forced me in a weekend-long tech-skill session

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Its difficult because you have to do an empty pivot, and the spacing is janky. Its a fun technique to be able to do, but its not practical unless you are a tas god. Kandano's perfect marth thread shows it being done to take the ledge from a shino stalling sheik

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Its difficult because you have to do an empty pivot, and the spacing is janky. Its a fun technique to be able to do, but its not practical unless you are a tas god.
Any given situation can be muscle-memoried in this game. The issue is when it's not memory because it's situation dependent. If I'm understanding this correctly, the reason this is so ungodly hard is because it's a 1 frame tech that's going to have different timing depending on your distance from the ledge, which is highly variable. However, in theory, you could just learn how to do it from specific defined distances for your character and muscle memory that. For example, after grabbing the ledge, doing various ledge recovery options and learning the timing to do this at the distance each of those leave you at. Heck, you could just roll to the edge in training mode, roll once away, and just learn that distance. It just wouldn't be practical by itself because you'd have to set it up like that every time.

Anyways, good thread. I've learned multiple things I didn't know in only a few posts.

Top Bottom