• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Villager Advanced Technique - AquaPlaning

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Holy crap that looks cool.

I now know what to do against literally every pacman ever.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think a very good use for it would be using that with nair, because you basically get Villager using himself as a high-speed missile that's almost unstoppable.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
No offense but I thought this was common knowledge... AquaPlaning? Cool name, but I'd sooner call it WaterPushing

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd call it AquaDashing

Cuz everything that involves moving in Smash is dashing

o3o

Pretty fun to do, though I wouldnt call it a Villager AT since any character can do it.

I like zooming in with axe since if you space it right the ending lag from whiffing isn't an issue.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Pretty fun to do, though I wouldnt call it a Villager AT since any character can do it.

I like zooming in with axe since if you space it right the ending lag from whiffing isn't an issue.
But only Villager can pocket it and use it at his convenience :3

jxthrx

Smash Rookie
NNID
jxthrx
At first this seems useless, but on the other hand, serious combos can come from this
Not just combos, if used right it can be an additional recovery on top of our already strong options, it can keep Pac-Man at bay for a little breathing room in a clutch moment, gimp his recovery if he's forced into a trampoline off the edge, and i may be wrong on this, but i believe it also can affect the trajectory of Pac-Man's fruits.

it definitely makes the Villager/Pac-Man matchup even more interesting.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Not just combos, if used right it can be an additional recovery on top of our already strong options, it can keep Pac-Man at bay for a little breathing room in a clutch moment, gimp his recovery if he's forced into a trampoline off the edge, and i may be wrong on this, but i believe it also can affect the trajectory of Pac-Man's fruits.

By interesting you mean even MORE unfair right?

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

Yes i tested it, It can affect the trajectory of Pac-Man's fruits ^^

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Somewhat related to this is the added power the Hydrant has behind it after being Pocketed. If it's launched, it does a lot more knockback than it does if Pac-Man just drops it. We can launch it by riding Lloid or using a point-blank DTilt. The latter has poor trajectory but at least it's quick.

Huh, so Hydrant's launched hitbox is also affected by Pocket's multiplier, in addition to the falling hitbox? I had no idea, neat!

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Yep, I just proved it. Earlier it was something I just picked up on by playing but I just confirmed it in an actual match. The hydrant normally does about 13% but after being Pocketed it did about 26%, which is consistent with Pocket's multiplier.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Ewwwww XD
It's bad enough that you can steal our trampoline, and now this?
At least our rush down is a lot better than villager :4pacman:
And when customs come, I'm always picking the on-fire hydrant in this matchup and the one bounce trampoline.
This is going to be a very cool matchup indeed.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Cool tech...

Okay I'm just here to ask why not just call it Hydroplaning, considering it's a real word and still describes what's going on, and "Aquaplaning" is clearly made up...
Cuz Aqua sounds cool

I like Hydroplaning tho.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
HydroDash
HydroDashing
Also, pocketing a Pacmans trampoline is way too funny.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
I've been meaning to find something useful out of the hydrant water. Didn't think something would already be discovered.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I think what we should focus more on is pocketing Pacman's red trampoline and interuppting his side B recovery with it, which is a kill.
I've tried it three times and I've done it twice.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think what we should focus more on is pocketing Pacman's red trampoline and interuppting his side B recovery with it, which is a kill.
I've tried it three times and I've done it twice.
You could just slingshot the side B, then pocket the trampoline right? XP

However this works more towards the neutral game, rather than an edgeguard situation.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I swear, Villager vs Pac-Man is the funnest match-up for Villager.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I swear, Villager vs Pac-Man is the funnest match-up for Villager.
Wokawoka ball? Gone
Fruit? Gone
Trampoline? Gone
Fire Hydrant? Gone
WATER from the fire hydrant? Gone.

its not an AMAZING matchup for Villager, but its hilarious nontheless.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Wokawoka ball? Gone
Fruit? Gone
Trampoline? Gone
Fire Hydrant? Gone
WATER from the fire hydrant? Gone.

its not an AMAZING matchup for Villager, but its hilarious nontheless.
It's pretty hilarious and rather amazing too! I mean, Villager can pocket pretty much any of Pac-Man's recovery. Trampoline? I'll take that, thanks. Side-B? Nah, I don't think you'll need that. It isn't broken or completely unfair or anything, but I do feel pretty bad for any Pac-Man's that go against me haha

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's pretty hilarious and rather amazing too! I mean, Villager can pocket pretty much any of Pac-Man's recovery. Trampoline? I'll take that, thanks. Side-B? Nah, I don't think you'll need that. It isn't broken or completely unfair or anything, but I do feel pretty bad for any Pac-Man's that go against me haha
Would the pacman still be in special fall if you pocket his trampoline? o.o

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Would the pacman still be in special fall if you pocket his trampoline? o.o
Yup! I mean, if he doesn't grab the ledge anyway. But yeah, you can just snatch it up and he'll plummet. Then you can pull it out, jump on it, maybe help recover without balloons or gyroid putting you in free fall, and then when it's red you can lay it out like a trap!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yup! I mean, if he doesn't grab the ledge anyway. But yeah, you can just snatch it up and he'll plummet. Then you can pull it out, jump on it, maybe help recover without balloons or gyroid putting you in free fall, and then when it's red you can lay it out like a trap!
So you can gimp him, jump in after him, and after he uses the first trampoline jump, snatch it away, recover, and he dies?

Okatywhynot

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So you can gimp him, jump in after him, and after he uses the first trampoline jump, snatch it away, recover, and he dies?

Okatywhynot
I think so yeah. It's like a 70 - 30 matchup I wanna say, Villager can pocket nearly all of Pac's moveset, shutting down his recovery, and forcing him to rely on A moves, which arent the worst, but also arent really the best in the game. Pac's love hydrants and fruit. Taking that away from them kinda forces them to not have fun with Pac. Its kinda sad actually. But while they suffer you're having a blast throwing his whole moveset back at him.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It seems that few of you have fought good pac-man mains. I actually want to challenge some of you. This matchup is always a good mind game for both sides.
This technique seems awesome for doubles however.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It seems that few of you have fought good pac-man mains. I actually want to challenge some of you. This matchup is always a good mind game for both sides.
This technique seems awesome for doubles however.
I faced a really good pac-man yesterday. As in, someone who was able to beat a Shulk that I never can. But I won most of my matches against the Pac-Man.

Villager just has too much aerial advantage with slingshot, and the fact nair can clash with Pac-man's side B is really bad for pac-man cuz it heightens the amount of gimping Villager can do, even disregarding the trampoline steal.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I faced a really good pac-man yesterday. As in, someone who was able to beat a Shulk that I never can. But I won most of my matches against the Pac-Man.

Villager just has too much aerial advantage with slingshot, and the fact nair can clash with Pac-man's side B is really bad for pac-man cuz it heightens the amount of gimping Villager can do, even disregarding the trampoline steal.
Firstly, pacman has the advantage against Shulk in that matchup.
Now onto villager.
Aerial advantage yes, but you lose the ground game hard. Anyone can clash with the pellet so villager isn't special, on that part. We can just point it away from you, or start it fast. If you hit it while we are eating the dots, we still travel the distance. And you have to be quick or you get hit by the super armor at the end.
Pacman shuts down villager's lloid hand with hydrant and side B. The pellet on side B destroys the lloid rocket, and then falls so that we can eat it and heal. Hydrant takes the damage from lloid for us, then we can launch it with only a fair or ftilt. Also, we beat you in the air in CQC because our nair and fair outspeed all of your aerials.

Top Bottom