• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[New User] Hi I'm Mellow :D - Is it better to focus on one character or get good with a bunch?

MellowTV

Smash Cadet
Hi guys I'm new to the thread here and wanted to say hi to everyone :)

I'm trying to improve my skills in Smash4 and was wondering if it is better to focus on one fighter or a few at the same time to build an understanding of the game?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Truthfully, you'd have to play against many mains who play their character at a competent level to get a picture of what it would take to be good at the game. It's okay to focus on one character, really, but playing multiple characters will let you compare what they are capable of. It makes no real difference how many characters you focus on starting out.

However, if you mean transitioning to a level where having a rudimentary awareness of frame data is important, studying one character a time can prevent information overload. It helps if it's someone that you really love to play so that you don't get burned out.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Welcome to Smashboards! :b:

Now reagrding your question, its really up to you. You CAN learn a single Character if you find it easier that way, but with learning multiple Characters, you are able to cover matchups your main character might be bad at.

An example is where I, a Mac player has a hard time against greninja, so I might pick some other character I have learned to have an easier time against him, like Sonic for example.

So really Its a matter of preference what you want to do... although I say you should learn at least 2 characters :p

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Hiya, welcome to our community!

Well, if I was giving anyone advice on this, I would say to pick one character to focus on the most. Now, whatever character that is, if it is mid tier or higher, you can get by without another secondary or backup character. But, if it is a low tier character, I would advise picking up someone to compliment him/her. But honestly, it all depends on how good you can make your character. If you can turn a low tier character in a monster, then go ahead and main that one exclusively.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is pick your favourite character on the roster, and just work to get good with him/her. More fun that way!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
[Shrugs] Some people play with all characters, some just stick to a few. Personally, I usually only stick with two or three mains at the most. Though, once in a while I'll play as a completely different character, just so I can better know their moves and whatnot. Like Snake said in the Brawl trailer, "Knowing your enemy is the quickest way to victory".

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
I recommend having some experience playing every character. It doesn't have to be a lot, but just understanding how they all work will help you when you end up playing against those characters. From there, you can play more of the characters you like and from there whittle it down to 2-5 mains you really like.

Top Bottom