• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Up-B Diagonal extension tech discovered?

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Synopsis - The ability to teleport as far horizontally as a fully left or right Up-B but with vertical component of shallow diagonal angles. More might be possible from this....(sorry if this is known, but I've never seen it before)

So I was messing about on BF and wanted to see what ledge cancels were possible from Zeldas Up-B -

I was on inner side plat edge (teetering after landing a Forward WD) and I Up-B while holding the angle between fully left (180) and the left down 45 degree. As soon as the teleport initiated and the angle had registered I held fully left because I wasn't sure if it would land on stage or drift a bit first.

Well something crazy happened...I edge canceled all the way across onto the left stage lip. I had traveled the same distance as the completely horiztontal left Up-B but also was able to drop vertically by the height of a side plat. I don't understand how this is possible, but I've been able to repeat it consistently now. I think it also works in the air, if that is true if could be massive in getting farther sweetspot recoveries with the shallow down diagonal angle going as far as a completely sideways teleport.

Last edited:

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Post a video showing your failures, so I can troubleshoot

You should at least be getting 2-3 new distances from the shallow angle using the above technique even with bad timing
And you should at least get the variation where you appear floating above the stage edge but don't quite edge cancel and instead land on stage

The max distance edge cancel diagonal teleport seems to be only a few frames window, have to start holding horizontal during the first few invisible moving frames after already locking in the shallow diagonal angle at frame 33.

You should be able to get it in training mode at 1/4 speed every time very easily

Last edited:

kjkj309

Smash Rookie
Well, I went and tested this, and it's simply what you get when you do a max angle up b. (Like a max angle grounded wavedash.) I even got farther than the stage lip, no edge cancel.

No stick wiggling necessary.

What am I doing with my life

Magus420

Smash Master
I was confused by the description at first by saying it goes further than full horizontal but you mean compared to straight left/right from directly underneath the platform teeter position right (full horizontal from teeter you just go offstage and die)? From platform teeter with the 2 most shallow angles you go more horizontal distance than straight on the floor and edge cancel because you reappear in the air and continue moving a bit before landing (reaching the edge with a bit of momentum). Full horizontal along the ground you stop right after reappearing and don't reach the edge as you don't get extra distance added between reappearing and landing.

Surprised I'd never seen or heard anything about it ever, but after messing with this I also noticed if you go full left/right from DL64 platforms' inside edge you edge cancel easily. Going to the right side of the stage cancels on the right platform's outside edge and to the left overshoots the left platform and cancels on the left edge of the floor (DL platforms are asymmetrical). I'd only ever heard about the Pokemon Stadium edge cancel from the center of the platform/match start position to the other platform. The DL platform teeter and match start PS edge cancels only work if you don't get the max 1/-1 X input when holding full horizontal, otherwise you overshoot it. Most controllers don't though even when trying to hold fully horizontal and get 0.9875/-0.9875 because of the way it rounds down inputs, but if you find you overshoot those edgecancels holding it into the notch you can just add some upward or downward pressure while it's in the left/right notch.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
I was confused by the description at first by saying it goes further than full horizontal but you mean compared to straight left/right from directly underneath the platform teeter position right (full horizontal from teeter you just go offstage and die)? From platform teeter with the 2 most shallow angles you go more horizontal distance than straight on the floor and edge cancel because you reappear in the air and continue moving a bit before landing (reaching the edge with a bit of momentum). Full horizontal along the ground you stop right after reappearing and don't reach the edge as you don't get extra distance added between reappearing and landing.

Surprised I'd never seen or heard anything about it ever, but after messing with this I also noticed if you go full left/right from DL64 platforms' inside edge you edge cancel easily. Going to the right side of the stage cancels on the right platform's outside edge and to the left overshoots the left platform and cancels on the left edge of the floor (DL platforms are asymmetrical). I'd only ever heard about the Pokemon Stadium edge cancel from the center of the platform/match start position to the other platform. The DL platform teeter and match start PS edge cancels only work if you don't get the max 1/-1 X input when holding full horizontal, otherwise you overshoot it. Most controllers don't though even when trying to hold fully horizontal and get 0.9875/-0.9875 because of the way it rounds down inputs, but if you find you overshoot those edgecancels holding it into the notch you can just add some upward or downward pressure while it's in the left/right notch.
So there's no distance extension happening, just aerial drift?

Top Bottom