• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to the competitive scene - willing to make progress

excalinator

Smash Rookie
Hi all!

Since getting Smash 4 for Christmas I'm willing to give playing smash bros in a competitive way a go. I always played the games since the N64 version, but never competitively (besides playing with friends, but you can guess that wasn't a high standard). There are however some start-up problems, because at first a lot is getting right in your face.

1. Is there a list of abbrevations that are used in the competitive scene? When I'm reading a guide, some are quite clear to me (Up-air), but some others sound like Chinese
2. What would your start-up advice be? Are there any good guides based on basic and advanced techniques & how to perform them? For instance, when I tried a Diddy Kong throw combo which was described in a guide here, a downgrab would work, but back-air x2 kept missing. It's hard to know how to connect for the first time.
3. Because of all the discussion about characters, I'm quite insecure about which character I should main. Mostly the advice is "stick to what feels good/playstyle", but I want to invest in a character that, if I play it right, can win from every matchup and that I only get beaten because of the fact that the other player is better, not because of a bad matchup.

Hopefully you guys are willing to help me out! :-)

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Fasten your seat belt, pick Diddy or Rosalina and enjoy the rage.

1- There is an abbreviation guide in here, I just don't remember where, as you lurk you will find it, or a more experienced player will post in here.

2- Hit the lab, it's the best way to pull off your combos.

3- Trust in the heart of the cards. I mean, in the fighters. Also, first line o' mine.

Top Bottom