• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Smash - Where to start?

Hiimmas

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. First post in the community. I've watched Smash being played competitively for a little while now, but I've only ever played casually with friends. This is the first title I've ever owned, and I'll be buying it on Wii U as well when it comes out.

I'd like to play at a local-competitive level, and I'm looking for some community advice as to how best get there (other than play-play-play). I know some of the game at a mechanical level and understand the basics of things like DI and what teching is. What should I be working on first? What should I wait to work on until I'm better at the basics? I've also yet to pick a main. In my experience, I prefer straight-forward fighters (played Marth when I played casually with friends). I haven't played everyone yet, but Shulk and Greninja feel pretty good as well. Is there anyone I need to give an earnest effort towards playing?

Anything you can offer me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Well, there's no secret formula, but this is what I do to get better:
1. Not only play-play-play, but play stronger opponents as often as possible. I use these forums to find people who are at least as good as me and fight them. Shying away from challenges is not a good start. Also try to identify your weak matchups and train these. A good pool of reliable, active training buddies will help.
2. Save replays of games you lost. Rewatch and learn why. Try to avoid making these mistakes that lead to your defeat.
3. Don't lose the fun.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
Start with melee.

Fox only. no items. 4 stocks, 8 minutes. final destination. play 24 hours. Good luck! :troll:

Last edited:

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
Just practice against lvl 9 cpu and play some for fun mode and just try to stick to a main and master him/her.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Play a lot and keep playing.

That's the best advice I can give you. If you really and truly put in the time and effort, you'll start to improve your skills slowly yet steadily. Don't be afraid to take losses along the way. Every defeat is a means of attaining a future victory.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Play anyway you like, in such a way that you do not get touched. That is your goal, that is all our goals. When you accomplish this, winning without getting struck, then you are ready...to try that against another character. Alternatively you could just play around with the ... well nah, you'll figure it out.

Top Bottom