• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to PM, need advice. Vids of tourney matches.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Hi Mario and Doc players alike, I recently entered an 18 player tourney (taking 2nd) with that being my first PM experience. Being a Doc main in melee I gravitated to Mario's alt costume. With no prior experience, really I just played it like Melee, and I enjoyed it! I do not have VODs, but I have the timestamps from the twitch stream. I listed the stage and some comments.

vs. Luigi
01:24:15 - 01:30:27 BF
01:31:30 - 01:37:30 BF
01:38:30 - 01:46:05 FD (Almost a timeout, listen commentary at end lol)

vs. Capt Falcon
01:49:40 - 01:52:30 BF
01:53:10 - 01:56:15 YI (Destruction on my 3rd and last stock)
01:57:25 - 02:01:40 SV
--
Grand Finals
03:01:40 - 03:05:10 BF
03:05:33 - 03:09:40 FD
03:09:50 - 03:14:40 PS2
03:15:20 - 03:18:15 SV (Got styled on last stock)

vs. Peach
02:38:30 - 02:44:45 BF
02:45:08 - 02:49:20 DL (Got a good string on their last stock)

vs. Link (Loser's Finals)
02:50:15 - 02:55:20 DL

vs. Marth (Loser's Finals)
02:55:40 - 02:59:25 WW

What should I work on? I definitely did not know about the UpB wall jump >_> Also there is no difference between Mario and Doc, correct? It's only visual differences? I like that the creators merged both of the characters best traits, recovering feels so much better!

I've read that JC grab is in (which I used religiously in Melee), but had trouble performing it here. Any tips as to what characters can be CG'd? I tried on Capt Falcon but no success. Thank you guys in advance for help!

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I have a thread on cg. Some of it has changed, in regards to dthrow anyway. The up b wall jump is kinda balls now. You have to be touching the wall at the start of it. Pro tip, use up b OoS. It's invincible for the first 7 frames. I might watch some of these later. I don't really like messing with twitch archives.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
(I know its a late response but gotta keep PM active in the boards even if it is just with late responses >.>) Keep in mind I am not Gallo or Boss and that I only watched the Captain Falcon match's.

I believe you have chain grabs against the Cap at low percent's. if you aren't, make sure you go for chain grabs on the characters you have them on. I also never saw you use D tilt. D tilt is a nice combo oriented move for Mario. depending on characters you can maybe get multiple D tilts in to an U tilt? to Fair? Not sure on %'s but I believe D throw is a good setup into fair also.

I saw you Turnaround B a couple fireballs Pills, maybe B reverse some as a mix up. But then again I kind of like to spam B reverse fireballs when they are chasing me and I never really see Boss or Gallo do that so maybe its not a good idea. On a last note don't forget you can grab the edge then immediately drop down to Bair while still having ledge invincibility as an edge guard.

(you may already know all of this, but I thought It couldn't hurt to give my thoughts on that mario)

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, I did try to CG the Falcon at low %, but I was never able to get it like I do in melee. I tried JC grab but I don't think I was doing it properly.

I never really thought about d tilt because I really tried to play the game like melee. I do see that it is another option that I have for attacking.

I almost forgot that b reversing was in the game, but I was able to mix it with turn around b in my other matches.

Overall I'm pretty happy with Mario/Doc in PM and I just needa learn more about how the character works with it's changes.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll get some thoughts when I get some free time. I'm super dunked with work right now.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
GSM_Dren if you really wanna learn more about Mario I would suggest maybe coming into MessiNYC's Twitch channel at nights sometime(he is always up for playing with viewers and giving tips or getting someone in there that can to help people out). He is a Mario main from the nyc area(he commentates at Nebulous up there) that regularly plays and learns from Gallo. He has people like Gallo, frozen, and others on with him at times and that is where I have learnt most of what I know about Mario.

I actually think in the next few days he might be doing a kind of vidcast thing with Gallo or something maybe but not sure. I know he is gonna have Reno an apex staff member on Thursday though for an interview/chat

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Updated with some more recent matches. I need to remember to revert my name (Tap jump off) to without for my matches as doc so I can do JC grabs >_>. I tried using yoshi in the first half of the videos, but had to switch to Doc because I'm less likely to SD lol.
vs Zelda

vs Falco

Top Bottom