• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Melee

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Hey guys new to melee here. What are some of the basics I should be starting with in order to learn Fox. Currently I learned to wavedash and reverse wavedash at the edge to edgehog. I also learned drill l cancel shine. That's about it for now. What should I be learning first? Thanks.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
be able to l cancel all your aerials
waveshine, running shine, waveshines/running waveshines into aerials, grabs or upsmash
jc upsmash, upsmash oos
chaingrabs on spacies
aerials off edge
safe on shield aerials
shinegrab
laser pressure
spacing
idk

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Ok I will start with a few of these. I have been trying waveshine all day. I only get it sometimes. I will keep at it. Thanks for the list to start with.

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Love watching Mango play. Interesting he went Cap Falcon instead of Falco against Fox. Unless it was a put down toward Chillin.

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Yeah I watch alot of fox vids on YouTube. Mango is my favorite to watch. Tech skill though that perfect dark video is crazy

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Most important tech other than LCanceling is jump canceling your shine into other things.
Waveshining specifically is really important.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Evoke had a pretty decent list. I have a VERY in depth list on my computer, but it's too lengthy to post. I'll just post what I think is absolutely necessary:

SHFFL aerials, SHFFL aerials into shine, SHFFL aerials into shine turnaround, shine grabs, shine turnaround grabs, wavedashes, turnaround wavedashes, waveshines, turnaround wave shines, running shine wavedash, running shine into SHFFL aerial, turnaround wave shine SHFFL aerials, JC grabs, double lasers, turnaround double lasers, wavedash out of shield, JC upsmash, upsmash out of shield, dash dances, dash dances into SHFFL aerial, invicible ledgedash, wavelanding onto the side platforms of Battlefield and Yoshi's Story, Firefox cancel on the edge, Fox Illusion edge cancel on the side platforms of Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium. I could list MANY other things but I feel like this is a fairly comprehensive list.

Then you also have the non-technical aspects such as spacing, positioning, edguards, percents, general stage & platform movement, etc.

I honestly LOVE practicing movement as Fox.

Last edited:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Thanks guys this helps alot.
A few others things to practice: SHFFL aerials into turnaround up-tilt, wavedash into up-tilt, grounded double shines, grounded shine out of shield, shortened illusion (there's multiple lengths, the shortest one is the easiest), and shield dropping.

Last edited:

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Try baiting you opponent with your Neutral B, it is quick and bring in damage, then when they come over, jump above them and use your Dair and then use down throw and then either repeat or combo them.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Big thing to note is that you need to have good move selection and hitbox usage. You need to make good use of "useless" moves like fair and use soft nair/bair and reverse nair/bair. Know when to use u-tilt over u-smash and know when to use bair over uair after up throw.

Also don't think Fox is all aggro nair rushdown or laser camp. He has to bait and think and adapt like everyone else.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I don't know a lot about Fox, but I suggest watching pro Fox Players play matches on YouTube. That's how I became good at the Koopa King.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Yes I watch alot of Mang0, Lucky and silent wolf.
Watch all the relevant Foxes since they excel in different areas. Pay close attention to their move selection and hitbox placement. Also look for when they approach.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Watch all the relevant Foxes since they excel in different areas. Pay close attention to their move selection and hitbox placement. Also look for when they approach.
can I point something out? Every Fox is different. Every Fox has their own style. Yes, you should pay attention to details of what foxes do, but you need to think for yourself and develop your own playstyle. PC Chris, Mang0, all these people have developed their own style of play. Once you understand the basics of Fox plays, the rest is figuring out your own style.

also, I don't support 20XX. Same reason I moved to Falco.

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Thanks for all the help and support alot more welcoming here than the smash 4 section. I don't take things lightly, I go all in. I won't stop until I have mastered the character to the best of my ability.

Grass

Smash Lord
alot more welcoming here than the smash 4 section
it's cause smash 4 is for plebs/elitists. Melee can be enjoyed by all in any fashion. Also nothing is truly broken in Melee because if you can't get over your opponent, you're doing something wrong. It's not your opponent who's choosing a god tier char. Just my 2 cents.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
20XX isn't even possible. There will always be a human factor in the game.

Grass

Smash Lord
20XX isn't even possible. There will always be a human factor in the game.
do you even know what 20XX is? It's the influx of Fox mains in melee. And it's still one of the reasons why you see so many Fox Dittos.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
do you even know what 20XX is? It's the influx of Fox mains in melee. And it's still one of the reasons why you see so many Fox Dittos.
20XX is the notion that eventually, Fox will be dominant in the metagame and every player will be technically perfect and perform the optimal option every time. The only deciding factor on how matches are won relies solely on port priority, which revolves around winning an RPS match.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the help and support alot more welcoming here than the smash 4 section. I don't take things lightly, I go all in. I won't stop until I have mastered the character to the best of my ability.

If you can master Fox, then you can easily master Falco.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Nice dude. Finally knowing someone who mastered, or is trying to master, both Fox and Falco.

Last edited:
Top Bottom