• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Linux

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I just installed the latest Ubuntu OS onto my laptop (dual boot with windows for now) and I find myself up a creek without a paddle, I don't know nearly anything abut Linux or the Ubuntu OS. I don't know what programs I need/should have, how to properly setup a program or application, or even good sources for Linux programs. I know a lot of users who read these boards know a thing or two about Linux, and I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer, thanks in advance.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^
Advertisement bot.

But go with Ubuntu if you're not familiar with Linux. As for specific programs, you'll have to ask specific questions. OpenOffice is amazing, gimp is a good picture editor, and of course Wine for any Windows apps you still wanna run. :)

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
other than getting your hardware to work and getting used to the linux in general(interface,terminal,new programs,etc), linux isn't really that hard =).
to install most programs you can just do in the terminal sudo apt-get install nameofprogram

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
When you install Ubuntu on your computer, do you still have your old microsoft os on your computer?

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Flaco, why did you hate Linux so much? I recently downloaded it and it's been working wonderfully for me.

flaco

The Terminator
is just that I don't understand it how to use it also I just don't like the fact that I can't play fear on it
to let you know fear is a pc game

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Oh, well I don't think it's that much different than Windows and there are applications that let you use PC programs on Linux. I think it's called Wine, but I'm not sure. You could also just do a dual boot with Windows and Linux, that's what I did and I'm not having any problems so far.

flaco

The Terminator
yea man I like windows better that's all I have nothing against Linux but is just windows is a easy OS for me

Top Bottom