• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Link

Triforce Jeremy

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

I'm pretty new to Link. I just started playing him a few days ago. I was attracted to him after watching all these videos of SSBB Pro Link chars hopping around and flinging bombs, arrows, and boomerangs almost simultaneously. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some general advice, since I'm only starting out. I'm also sort of new to this whole SSB game, so if someone could maybe explain some popular terms like this "z-air" stuff. I use the Wii Remote sideways too, so maybe I should switch the remote + nunchuck?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. :]

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
"Z-air" is just using his clawshot grab in the air. It has really good range, enough knockback to chase them away, and pretty much no lag upon landing. It's amazing for spacing, use it against big targets or against characters that like to jump a lot.

I can't really give you any advice for controller settings since I don't use the Wii-mote. Just use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

There's plenty of guides on these boards you can look at to get some information about Link.
The video guide - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167650
Skler's guide - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156063
Odin's guide - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166181

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Well, seems aAndy has covered the videos and Zair for you.

If you want some opinion on controllers, I'll tell you that either the Wiimote+Nunchuck or Gamecube controller is best. It's not that you can't use the others, but these two seem to be the most commonly used by the better players out there. I myself still use the same Gamecube controller I used for Melee, and it's been serving me well.

The reason I'd pick one of these two controllers is that, put simply, they have enough freedom and adaptability within their set-up to be used effectively and efficiently.

Just my two cents. =]

iron blade

Smash Ace
Don't die.

aAndy covered most of it. If you want my opinion on a controller, I'd recommend the Gamecube controller. Even with the guides, the best way to get better at Link is practicing. Learn to use his projectiles effectively, and learn the spacing of his moves. Basically, take a look at the guides and just practice with Link. He's a heavy, strong character with a bad recovery. My advice is to use his Nair, all projectiles, and Zair a lot and be careful not to get punished when using his Dair. The Usmash and Dsmash are very useful to build up damage and get an opponent off your back.

D

Deleted member

ill try to give you some advice

first of all you need to switch to either the classic controller or the gamecube controler, the wii remote doesnt give you a lot of options like C sticking and things like bomb smashing.

The only real way to get better is to attend local tournies, play ssb veterans and to constantly keep changing your game so you are harder to play against. Also, if your matches are under 3:00 then always save your replay, later watch it to know what you should change, and what you do bad on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg)

Another thing that can help you is to watch videos of good links and learn from their play style (approaches, spacing etc)

my final piece of advice is to attend one of deva's and skler's online classes http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162275

they are probably the best people on this board and their help will be invaluable to you

gl

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
I would REALLY suggest that you go to either the Gamecube controller, nunchuck, or Wiimote + Nunchuck. It might feel awkward for a bit, but you'll realize how much more precise you can be with an analog stick and shoulder buttons. I use a GC controller, and I tried the nunchuck, but it just wasn't for me, I think.

ArkiveZero covered it very well. Just remember to be creative in your approaches and strategies. If you rely too much on one tactic, you'll get blown out of the water if someone knows how to counter it. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't use an easy strategy against an opponent if it's effective, though. Just know that some people are going to expect things like the shorthop dair and punish you for it.

The terminology is very logical. f=front, u=up, d=down, b=back. There are three different types of attacks that use this terminology: tilts, aerials, and smashes. A ftilt is a front tilt. A dair is the aerial where Link plants his sword in the ground when he hits the ground. A usmash is the 3x swing he does when you smash up on the ground.

Roydrevil

Smash Rookie
My advice for link is to play defensively most of the time. If your up against a character with short reach and no projectiles hit them with a boomerang or bomb and then go in for the attack. If your going to run straight at someone stop just before you reach them and roll behind them. Try to keep your oppenent as far enough away so that you can take advantage of links long sword. If someone is constantly dashing towards you on the ground stop him in his tracks with a projectile. They may dodge it but afterwards you'll have a small opening for an attack. Overall make good use of projectiles to keep enemies close enough so that you can reach em with your sword but far enough away so they cant hit you.

T-REX!

Smash Apprentice
Use fast fall airs, and learn some of his combos. Also, go look at "The Art of Link" guide.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I was attracted to him
Me too.

ah, use his DLX upsmash or whatever the kids are calling it these days when they're above you but a platform is between you and the character, it's pretty ****. Always jump before using projectiles as a general rule... don't get knocked off the stage because most of the time if you do, you're gone D:. Always use bombs. They're good, but they'll also explode in your hand if you get gimped recovery wise, or just aren't going to make it back. Often use his jump reverse bomb throwing (jumping and turning around and throwing at the same time causes your jump to cancel your dash into a bomb throw the opposite direction). I often follow that up with a boomerang.... but just experiment with it. Use his zair, use his sex kicks, get good at hitting with the second part of his fair.

Get really good at using bombs though. Remember that he throws them really, really high upward.

That's about all I can say, I don't use him enough to give you character-specific advice because although we're married, he's kinda garbs at this game :<

EDIT: blah blah blah, use his d-smash as your keep away move when they get in your personal zone, use his neutral A combo... use up B out of shield, and get good at being able to throw your boomerang in the opposite direction during your initial dash

maybe that helps a little ^^

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Use the DAC approach, or rather learn it first. :p

The Zair is also important...

Check out Izaw's Link Video Guide and Skler/Deva's Link Classes.

-Ter

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
There's many possible ways to play as Link.

First of all, you need to be aware of his weaknesses especially his recovery after attacking. Practice a lot of short hops before you move on to Z-airing. Fast falling and Nair is a quick and suprising attack that will catch anyone off guard. Also learn how to use your projectiles efficiently to keep your enemies at bay.

If you got this pretty much covered then check out Izaw's or other useful Link vids lying around the web. Good Luck!

Top Bottom