• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to G&W

TheFatHen

Smash Rookie
Hey I have just joined the fourms, and I am looking to get into competitive smash. I am quite young I'm only 13, but I want to learn Game and Watch and prepare for tournaments. My brother plays in tournament and he is helping me out, but I would like some specific help with Game and Watch and any other help with playing in tournament. I'm not too sure what happens at my local scene and how to go about it so some help with that would be good.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Yo, FatHen. As a beginner I would suggest you focus on learning the game and not necessarily the character. Nothing wrong with brushing up on some G&W specific things here and there, but understanding the exact purpose of things like DI. dash dancing, or SFFLing, out-of-shield options or ledge mechanics will take you really far really fast.

[to be edited bbl]

Also for future reference, don't make new threads unless you are bringing up something worthwhile. It's much easier for us to keep things like your questions in our general Q&A thread.

TheFatHen

Smash Rookie
Yo, FatHen. As a beginner I would suggest you focus on learning the game and not necessarily the character. Nothing wrong with brushing up on some G&W specific things here and there, but understanding the exact purpose of things like DI. dash dancing, or SFFLing, out-of-shield options or ledge mechanics will take you really far really fast.

[to be edited bbl]

Also for future reference, don't make new threads unless you are bringing up something worthwhile. It's much easier for us to keep things like your questions in our general Q&A thread.
Thanks for the tips, also for the forum advice too.

MS DOS

Smash Rookie
I'm probably unqualified for this, but here it goes:
Learn how to control bacon to your playstyle, and learn how to shffl consistently. Avoid using one move over and over again.
That being said, what Metmetm3t said is the most important thing to do.
gl on your game and watch adventures!

Last edited:

GreatKingBowserKoopa

Smash Apprentice
When you use Chef, don't just rapidly mash the button. You have to press it at a certain pace, though I don't really know how to explain it. If you are trapped in a combo, quickly try to do his Up B because it hits on the 1st frame and is really fast. Also, when you are safe, waste some hammers (Side B Judgement) so you can get easy 9's.

An easy combo is
Dtilt -> Uair -> Uair -> Up B -> Nair

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Short hop bacon is very useful, but as the previous poster mentioned you can't just mash b to use it. The timing is pretty simple, but be careful not to do a grounded bacon like the way a Falco might accidentally do a standing laser, as it leaves you pretty vulnerable. Similar to Falco, actually, GW seems to have his own kind of pillaring combos. Learning to use his up-b to continue combos is important, as you can still act out of his up-b. Something like: up tilt, up-b, down air, down tilt, up-b, neutral air is one example of his "pillaring" that is easy to do on larger characters or if the opponent DIs poorly. His up air is also amazing at juggling. The bucket is great against projectile users, and it's especially great in PM because you can release it by hitting down b twice quickly even when you haven't absorbed 3 projectiles. It can also be used to stall in the air.

I personally don't use GW side b at all. While I won't tell you to not use it - you can do whatever you want, and it can be used well- here's my reasoning: It's mostly random. Yes, you can tell if it is even or odd by the dots, but you could swing and get a lucky 9, or swing and get a very unlucky 1. This isn't even high risk, high reward, it's just relying on rng and I don't like to do that at all. It's fine to use it, just be careful not to leave yourself too open if you're in a dangerous position near the edge or at kill percent.

The main thing to remember about GW is that he's a glass canon. He can dish out incredible damage, but he's very light and his defensive options are poor. Thankfully his shield functions properly unlike in melee, but his roll is very slow and he has trouble with other out of shield options. If there's any aerial to use OoS, I'd say a short hop down air or possibly back air if the opponent is behind you. But his best OoS option is probably up-b. It hits on frame 1, I believe, and since you can act out of it you aren't left very vulnerable.

If you can't Wavedash or L-Cancel consistently yet, I would recommend practicing those before you learn the more specific GW techniques. GW may not be a spacie, but he actually requires a decent amount of tech skill to be successful with - more than one might think. Because his aerials have long landing lag (especially forward air), L-Cancelling is an absolute must, unlike some other characters (no offense meant) where you can do just fine without L-Cancelling. His Wavedash is also quite good, and is another necessary for quick movement.

I'm no GW expert, but I've been playing him in PM for 2 years and this is just a bit of what I've learned so far. And there's still so much more to experience!

Top Bottom