• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to everything

Aschente!

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm Aschente!, my real name is Ethan, and I'm new to everything. Well, I've had Smash ever since 64 came out but I was just a wee little boy and I just got into wanting to do competitive about a week ago. I started with Melee, and thought that Project M would be cool as well, so I went and got a used 2GB sd card and got Project M, and here I am, playing Project M with some of my friends.

I main :falcomelee: and haven't decided on a secondary yet, as I just started last week, and as for level of skill, I can get some tech stuff down pat when practicing like shuffling, wavedashing, etc., but I suck too much big ones to be able to apply it efficiently in real matches as of now.

The reason why I got into Smash at this time was because of all the hype building up around it, like the "Platinum Era" of smash, and seeing the Smash documentary definitely helped as well.

Tournament-wise, might seem obvious enough I haven't attended one yet, and although I know the importance of them I don't quite have the opportunity to attend that many. This is due to reasons like me being only 15 and my parents not being willing to drive me to long events to play video game with people I don't know; so if anyone might know some solutions to this or at least an ideal time to start getting into tournaments that'd be cool beans.

I hope I can learn a lot from and contribute to the smash community on this site!

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
How's it going Aschente!. My name is Alex. I just got into competitive Smash within the last year and a half, and I was indocrinated into the series through Project M, and that is my personal favorite. My skill is pretty good for someone who has not yet attended a tournament, but pretty bad on a tournament level, from what I've heard and seen on Youtube and Smashboards. As far as good ways to get tournament experience, my suggestion is look on the tournament thread and see if there are any tourneys in your very local area. Then find some trustworthy friends and see if your parents are okay if you go and pay money to play in something you will probably lose in (they probably won't see the appeal that getting better at a game has for you). If not, well then, you are kind of stuck for a little bit. I would wait a little while if they say no, then try your luck. It does give you a good chance to get better, though. I would really emphasize l-canceling, wavelanding, dashdancing, Reverse Aerial Rushing, as well as your general ledgegame. If you need some other questions answered, let me know.

Top Bottom