• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new to competitive smash play.. quick question on tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink11

Smash Rookie
myself and a few friends have been playing melee alot lately, at a serious pace, and training ourselves and each other to become really good, and possibly play in tournaments.

we live in phoenix, arizona and I wanted to perhaps enter us in a tournament. I checked the regional southwest board but its really messy and confusing, so Im just gonna ask if/when upcoming tournaments around the phoenix, az area are happening and when/where?

also, what are the standard rules for tournaments? number of lives/time limit, what levels to play, how mayn characters we are allowed each, etc, so we can start playing with those rules and such ourselves as training.

also, at these tournaments, should we expect anything but foxs, falcos, shieks, marths, falcons, peaches, etc? because although I have used Fox and Marth since the game first came out (before I knew of tiers), and my friends use similar characters, we all also like to use lower tier characters (Link, DK, Ness, pikachu, etc) as well, and I dont want to be ***** immediately in the tournament by playing Link against a Fox or something.

sorry about the long post, but thanks in advance for your answers. I can guarantee 3, maybe even 4 or 5 people for the next AZ tournament, provided that we have time to plan for it, it is close enough, etc. thanks again all.

---

pdk

Smash Lord
the search function is probably the easiest way to find what you want as far as tourneys go (just search for stuff like arizona and az)

the "established" rules for tourneys in the US is 4 stock with 8 minute timer, you can just use who you want (save for low-tier tourneys, i'll give you 3 guesses what they let you use there), and stages allowed are, if i recall, in the compendium of knowledge thread sticked in melee discussion; there is also a fair bit of other stuff (e.g. counterpicking, striking) which is better explained there or in the wiki article on tourney rules

falcons in tourneys aren't that common for the record, but you will find that the tops of the brackets in tourneys mostly consist of high tiers

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeapz, that about sums it up. Look around your regional forum/the tournament forums for tournaments/smashfests/crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom