• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Charizard and PM: What I've Learned So Far

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Charizard players! Hey.

I'm new to Project M and have been trying to decide on a main to dedicate some real research and practice time toward, and after seeing DiNGO absolutely wreck at Tipped Off 10 (see: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2hcj47/dingos_charizard_at_tipped_off_10_was_insane_31244/) I decided Charizard would be a fun character to dive into.

With that, I've been learning a few tools to help tighten up my game, so I figured I'd catalog those discoveries here, ultimately with the goal to play Smash in a tournament somewhere and do not-so terribly. This will be largely redundant information detailed in other threads, but I'm using this as a tool for myself to compartmentalize different attributes as I try to learn and retain them.

So here are some Charizard tips and tricks as I've discovered them:

Read this & watch every video posted.

1. Nair is bread n' butter
    • Short hop + nair is great. Reverse aerial rush + nair is a bit better. I haven't figured out exactly when I want to do one or the other (or if it matters as long as I time it accordingly), I just know it starts behind and rolls over the top. It's a bit punishable at low percentages on landing; not sure if I can cancel it.
  2. Ftilt has some tasty range. And you can angle it up or down
  3. Dtilt is disgusting on the edge
    • The hitboxes on this move are crazy disjoint. Slap the edge and feel bad for your friends.
  4. Jab, Utilt and Up-Smash into Uair to Nair combo, closing with Up-B/Fair/Bair
    • You have three jumps so you can aerial chase pretty effectively.
    • Down-B (Fly) is a chargeable super jump perfect for chasing with an Uair, jump and Up-B. It eats one of your three jumps, remember that.
  5. Short hop + Down-B (Fly triggers Glide in the air) + Attack = Flare Blitz
    • This is a fantastic mix-up and approach off of the edge. DiNGO's control scheme change (attack on R) might help execute this move instantly.
  6. Down-B (Glide) is your recovery 90% of the time. Up-B is an out-of-shield option, KO out of aerial
    • You can sweet spot the edge grab, flare-blitz onto the stage or cancel the glide into an aerial to land.
  7. Side-B from edge hop to onstage and retreating Side-B are clutch
  8. Back-Throw can chain to Back-Throw, Down-Throw tech-chase to Down-Smash
  9. Up-Throw to kill. Forward-Throw to offstage, edge guard.
  10. I assume you can L-Cancel the glide landing... need to test.
  11. Need to learn: Wavedashing, Crouch Canceling (for defense, for canceling into jab/ftilt?) and SHFFLing for OOS Nair.

My controls are currently set to default, but that may change as I get more comfortable with the Zard. I saw that JOE! uses L as grab, Z as jump and turns off up-to-jump. That sounds pretty legit as I struggle to use Z effectively to grab and I tend to use L to shield more than I'd like (making spot dodges hard for me for some reason).

Just got my WIFI setup on my Wii. Time to find my friend code for Project M and start some training.

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
Hey, welcome to the Zard boards! It seems you've found everything that made us love the big lizard too :p If you want more Zard info, the video thread has a couple tournament sets for every character matchup. :3

Top Bottom