• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
Well I've been looking around in the forums and youtube for posts and videos showing this technique but I haven't seen any. In this vid i briefly perform this with Falco, I have tried it with Marth and I'm pretty sure it works with anyone. It also works right off the dash dance, and you can time it so that the dodge happens a bit faster, I'm still practicing it myself. I see this as being very useful all around, you dont have to agree tho. Check it out for yourself, tell me what you think.
(I tried loading it up to youtube but it wasn't working so it's in my photobucket)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v60/PaulNavarro/?action=view&current=PaulN.flv

Enjoi.

Pwnage_Kirby

Smash Rookie
But doesn't the fact that you have to use time to start the DD make it slower than a normal sidestep?

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
But like I said you can do it out of a foxtrot/dash dance/stutter step, and you slide while in the invincible/flashing animation. Also you can do it while dashing at someone, if they shield you can get behind them and well you figure out the rest.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is dodging while dashing and sliding. the ddstech.
You keep sliding if you dodge, big whoop. It's not a technique. It's dashing and dodging.

We don't need to name every single maneuvre. We didn't call things Fair-canceling and Dair-canceling, we called it L-canceling.

This technique isn't even very useful unless, I don't know, you're trying to bait a grab since you'll be open once the invincibility from the dodge has worn off.

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
Not a big whoop depending on how you time it, it's good for countering air attacks, dodging items and moving closer at the same time without having to roll. It uses less animations than a roll but it won't put you facing your opponent like a roll. what you can do after is c-stick down and it will cover you both sides at least with falco. the recovery on it is great if you can maneuver it correctly. Anyhow, if you'd don't know how to use it don't put it down, its great to combine with the other techniques i mentioned above.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not a big whoop depending on how you time it, it's good for countering air attacks, dodging items and moving closer at the same time without having to roll. It uses less animations than a roll but it won't put you facing your opponent like a roll. what you can do after is c-stick down and it will cover you both sides at least with falco. the recovery on it is great if you can maneuver it correctly. Anyhow, if you'd don't know how to use it don't put it down, its great to combine with the other techniques i mentioned above.
It's good for countering air attacks? How is it better than normal shielding/spotdodging? How many people aerial the air in front of their opponent?

Here's a name suggestion: "Dash and spotdodge".

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
yep ariel, when an enemy is SH'ing and spiking c-stick down, this is just an example, it also helps avoid getting smashed, I've been using it in multiplayer and it's actually been working out well, you can do a few things with it just have to experiment more with it, I just learned it yesterday. We'll see what happens with this...

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
I haven't explained how to perform this technique because it seems no one is really interested in it and how it's done. You don't just simply dash then dodge... theres a little trick to it. I'm sure you'll figure it out, if you don't let me know and I'll post how it's done.

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
Well as soon as you dash, [you can either use L or R to dodge] instead of smashing/pressing down on your joystick to dodge while on the ground, you mash it downward/tilting it a bit to the direction your dashing to, the direction of your joystick should be closer to down than it is to the right [assuming your facing right]. Try it right after the dash, then you can start timing it differently to your liking and what not. If you mash the joystick down in stead of downward right you character will completely stop and will not get that slide motion while dodging as shown in the video. Well I'm pretty bad at explaining stuff so if you can't understand my explanation I'll just show you a video of how it's done on the controller.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Something I noticed my friend doing today that is a bit more useful is constantly short hopping and air dodging as a method of approach. Doesn't work with all characters, but he uses metaknight and it works REALLY well for him.

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
Something I noticed my friend doing today that is a bit more useful is constantly short hopping and air dodging as a method of approach. Doesn't work with all characters, but he uses metaknight and it works REALLY well for him.
Absolutely useful, but it has been posted about on the boards a while ago.

Mama

Smash Ace
We wont know how useful/useless something is until its put into use. Start using this at tournaments. If its as useful as you say and you end up winning or impressing enough people that'll be a lot better than just posting it here and waiting to see what people do.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
i dont understand why you are pushing (down + shield) at the end of your dash, it is just as useful as using the shield alone or doing a roll

however im sure it will have its place

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
We wont know how useful/useless something is until its put into use. Start using this at tournaments. If its as useful as you say and you end up winning or impressing enough people that'll be a lot better than just posting it here and waiting to see what people do.
I totally agree with you, that's why I'm still testing it, it seems to be doing ok in multiplayer mode and against my friends, I haven't been testing it too much due to school and work. I'll definitely be testing it some more this week on my free time with friends etc.

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
i dont understand why you are pushing (down + shield) at the end of your dash, it is just as useful as using the shield alone or doing a roll

however im sure it will have its place
I am not pushing (down+shield) at the end of a dash, if thats how your doing it or think it's done then you read it wrong. Please read again or I would gladly make a video demonstrating how it's done on the controller.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It feels to me that when I do a ground dodge while dashing, I DO continue to slide, thus bringing me closer to my opponent (which may be the secret weapon when it comes to getting in close to skilled Olimar players).

Are you saying that you ground dodge off a dash dance and hit slightly to the right/left of 270° on the stick instead of 315°?

Station

Smash Cadet
A bit off topic, but i remember playing you a while back on kaillera Greeneggs, good to see your still smashing. You probably won't remember me but my name was Deaths Sheperd.

Viny

Smash Cadet
can be cool to aproach the other player and to provoque a attack then dodge to counter...it will be cool whit marth and UpB caus when you sheild and the other player hit u you got a back and dosent hit whit the upB

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
A bit off topic, but i remember playing you a while back on kaillera Greeneggs, good to see your still smashing. You probably won't remember me but my name was Deaths Sheperd.
I think you've got the wrong person, but I did play on kaillera for some time. I can't remember under what name, your name does seem familiar, yep I'm still smashing. You still play SSB64?

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
can be cool to aproach the other player and to provoque a attack then dodge to counter...it will be cool whit marth and UpB caus when you sheild and the other player hit u you got a back and dosent hit whit the upB
Yea it works great with my friends so far, when I rush at them sometimes they try to hit me with a smash but I am able to get behind them in time with this tech. It's fun to use and very random, not a lot of people acknowledge it, maybe soon, maybe not, we'll see :].

mushroomedmario

Smash Cadet
woah there's a thread about this?

i discovered this earlier today against my friend, he asked me what i was doing and i said "i don't know"

GreenEggs&Ham

Smash Cadet
woah there's a thread about this?

i discovered this earlier today against my friend, he asked me what i was doing and i said "i don't know"
Wouldn't you agree that it isn't simply dashing and then pressing down + L, R? Yea I posted the thread a while ago. So... do you find this as useful as I do? whether in a given situation or not?

Top Bottom