• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW TECH: MOMENTUM PIVOT

jet56

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdsnecDzOus

a new tech i discovered and have used really well quite recently.

Video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3aFSBwiDws

first: what it is

a dash canceled perfect pivot.
basically you perform a dash cancel, then immediately do a perfect pivot.

What it's for: to stop or reverse your "momentum". this tech can be done out of dash dancing, foxtroting, and anywhere in neutral. its main tool is to let you quickly foxtrot in, then back away with a safe poke on the opponent or their shield.

How it came about: i have been having a lot of problems with shields and shield grabbing. while you can walk up and space your tilts, or grab to stuff them out of shield, more experienced players will often punish a spaced tilt such as dtilt or ftilt with a long reaching smash attack, to outspace your moves. i wanted a way to safely poke shields while moving around the stage quickly, and abusing macs footsies and speed. i then thought about how you can perfect pivot, but when you do that out of a foxtrot or dash dance, only ftilt and utilt can be used (and both of those slide you toward the opponent,making it easier for them to punish you for a misspace), and dtilt is flipped the other way. then i thought "what if i did a dash cancel then a p pivot, to flip my character back around?" and viola, momentum pivot was born.

how to do it:
input in this order::GCR::GCL::GCR:. NOTE: the first two joystick inputs are quick taps, like you are doing a dash cancel. the LAST JOYSTICK INPUT is flicked, like you were doing a p pivot.

ill be honest here, i spent 2 hours straight getting this tech now, and still can't do it perfectly, and it only took me that short a time, because i had already ingrained dash dancing and p pivoting into my gameplay and muscle memory. first you must master:

dash dancing
p pivoting

then you can start practicing momentum pivoting. not to mention you have to throw in a c-stick input for an attack.

Let me know what you guys think? is this tech useful? is it not? need help to do it? let me know below please!

Last edited:

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I think this might be useful, it is pretty hard to do and might cause huge punshes when done wrong. However i don`t see it being a lot more useful than a normal foxtrott perfect pivot. There are probably some uses for it but, it is so hard to to that i feel like you are just better off with a prefect pivot. Just my first inpressons tho. Need to look more in to this. Nice find tho.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I think this might be useful, it is pretty hard to do and might cause huge punshes when done wrong. However i don`t see it being a lot more useful than a normal foxtrott perfect pivot. There are probably some uses for it but, it is so hard to to that i feel like you are just better off with a prefect pivot. Just my first inpressons tho. Need to look more in to this. Nice find tho.
I thought that at first too. But remember that you can't do a dtilt out of a normal p pivot toward your opponent, and that you are using a approaching tilt, while momentum pivoting uses a retreating tilt.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I thought that at first too. But remember that you can't do a dtilt out of a normal p pivot toward your opponent, and that you are using a approaching tilt, while momentum pivoting uses a retreating tilt.
I do get what you are saying, and i don`t doubt that it has some places where it is useful, all i am saying is that the margin of error i really smal when it comes to things like this. Its really hard to do and demands a lot of training. And the reward just is not high enough for me to think that it is worth it. Being able to do a dtilt out of foxtrott toward your opponent is great and all, but i just feel it is to risky.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I do get what you are saying, and i don`t doubt that it has some places where it is useful, all i am saying is that the margin of error i really small when it comes to things like this. Its really hard to do and demands a lot of training. And the reward just is not high enough for me to think that it is worth it. Being able to do a dtilt out of foxtrott toward your opponent is great and all, but i just feel it is to risky.
trust me, i get it, its really easy to flub, is easily punishable, and is not absolutely pivotal to mac game play. I personally think its important because:

momentum pivot d tilt is your safest approaching tool as mac. harder to do than a regular p pivot.
p pivot utilt is your second safest approaching tool as mac. easier to do than a momentum pivot.

its harder to punish (and in most cases, impossible) to punish a momentum pivot dtilt, as you slide away from the opponent. while regular p pivot options are easier to punish because you go towards your opponent, and with a less safe tilt option. not to mention you can momentum pivot jab out of foxtrot, but not p pivot jab out of foxtrot.

im not trying to be mean or anything, but just because its "hard" to do shouldn't be enough of a reason for you not to use this tech. but i get it, to each his own my man. :)

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
So what are the inputs then? You showed the inputs in the OP but I want to be more clear on it. This looks to be really useful since you use this to quickly run up to your opponent and quickly be able to do Jab, tilts (and Smash Attacks?)

You also slide when doing this? This makes using Down-tilt much better since Little Mac doesn't slide when doing a Perfect Pivot Down-Tilt.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
So what are the inputs then? You showed the inputs in the OP but I want to be more clear on it. This looks to be really useful since you use this to quickly run up to your opponent and quickly be able to do Jab, tilts (and Smash Attacks?)

You also slide when doing this? This makes using Down-tilt much better since Little Mac doesn't slide when doing a Perfect Pivot Down-Tilt.
ill see if i can make a video on it, as it is hard to grasp unless you can actually see how it looks input wise. and yes, you can do this in conjunction with smash attacks, but you need to set your c-stick to smash in order to do up and down smash.

it does not slide with any of the tilts except for utilt, but if you delay when you use a tilt after doing the momentum pivot, you pivot will carry you further away. its the same concept as how doing a p pivot utilt makes you slide, but a p pivot dtilt does not.

ill try to make a more in depth guide on how to do it, and maybe a general mac guide as well.

Edit: got a video guide up for this tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3aFSBwiDws

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
ill see if i can make a video on it, as it is hard to grasp unless you can actually see how it looks input wise. and yes, you can do this in conjunction with smash attacks, but you need to set your c-stick to smash in order to do up and down smash.

it does not slide with any of the tilts except for utilt, but if you delay when you use a tilt after doing the momentum pivot, you pivot will carry you further away. its the same concept as how doing a p pivot utilt makes you slide, but a p pivot dtilt does not.

ill try to make a more in depth guide on how to do it, and maybe a general mac guide as well.

Edit: got a video guide up for this tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3aFSBwiDws
So it goes like this then, Hold, Hold, Flick? Nice. I will practice this when I get my new control!

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdsnecDzOus

a new tech i discovered and have used really well quite recently.

Video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3aFSBwiDws

first: what it is

a dash canceled perfect pivot.
basically you perform a dash cancel, then immediately do a perfect pivot.

What it's for: to stop or reverse your "momentum". this tech can be done out of dash dancing, foxtroting, and anywhere in neutral. its main tool is to let you quickly foxtrot in, then back away with a safe poke on the opponent or their shield.

How it came about: i have been having a lot of problems with shields and shield grabbing. while you can walk up and space your tilts, or grab to stuff them out of shield, more experienced players will often punish a spaced tilt such as dtilt or ftilt with a long reaching smash attack, to outspace your moves. i wanted a way to safely poke shields while moving around the stage quickly, and abusing macs footsies and speed. i then thought about how you can perfect pivot, but when you do that out of a foxtrot or dash dance, only ftilt and utilt can be used (and both of those slide you toward the opponent,making it easier for them to punish you for a misspace), and dtilt is flipped the other way. then i thought "what if i did a dash cancel then a p pivot, to flip my character back around?" and viola, momentum pivot was born.

how to do it:
input in this order::GCR::GCL::GCR:. NOTE: the first two joystick inputs are quick taps, like you are doing a dash cancel. the LAST JOYSTICK INPUT is flicked, like you were doing a p pivot.

ill be honest here, i spent 2 hours straight getting this tech now, and still can't do it perfectly, and it only took me that short a time, because i had already ingrained dash dancing and p pivoting into my gameplay and muscle memory. first you must master:

dash dancing
p pivoting

then you can start practicing momentum pivoting. not to mention you have to throw in a c-stick input for an attack.

Let me know what you guys think? is this tech useful? is it not? need help to do it? let me know below please!
Man and here I thought that I was actually first with discovering something, seems like you beat me to it!

This tech is very good, and imo not much harder than a p pivot out of the extended dash dance, just one more flick with the stick ;)

Top Bottom