• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tactic: Double Dodging (name subject to change)

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I was messing around with my brother and discovered that regular landing lag means zip when you're sidestep dodging. So you can do an air dodge and when you land do a sidestep dodge. If you do it right, you can dodge MK's weak combo with the sidestep dodge (of course, it'll hit you when you come out of it.). The timing is pretty tight, though, you need fast fingers to pull it off. I have tested this, it works. It doesn't work with a shield though.

Any way, here's some application: Bowser is preparing an fsmash. You airdodge to avoid it. He charges, releasing it to hit the moment you land. Double dodge to avoid it fully and punish!

Okay, I have no idea if someone else has discovered this already, I didn't check. So let me know if someone else has discovered this.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is an AT, I'm pretty sure there's just not a lot of landing lag after an airdodge so you can input something else (aka a spot-dodge).

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
isn't this just input buffering or whatever it was called?

when you perform an airdodge that stays out until you land thus getting less landing lag?

Crow!

Smash Lord
Yes, that's simply a buffered air dodge.

Unfortunately, the effect you describe does not actually happen; spot dodging does NOT override the landing lag. To see this more clearly, you can do one of three things:

1. Look at my Comprehensive Brawl Input Guide and notice that the (Landing) state does not permit you to spot dodge (or do anything else, for that matter). Everything gets buffered and is performed as soon as you are DONE with the landing animation. This post had me worried that I had made a mistake when making that guide; a quick check assured me that I did not.

2. Go to training mode, set time to 1/4. Jump, air dodge, and before you land, input a spot dodge. The buffered "spot dodge" command will happen as soon as it is possible. You will, however, see yourself do the complete Landing animation (or at least the part that technically is the landing animation, before you go to a special version of either Standing or Start Crouching, the two states you can branch to).

3. Fast fall before you air dodge, then again buffer a spot dodge before you land. The fast fall causes your landing animation to use the longer, Fast Falling version of the landing animation. The lag from this version of landing is much more obvious and does not require slowing time to see. Point is that neither state gets canceled by an input Spot Dodge.

You sometimes escape MetaKnight's neutral A combo upon landing from a non-Fast Falled air dodge because that attack is not truly continuous; it only attacks like 50% of the time it's out. In fact, I would go so far as to say that that particular attack sucks, easily qualifying itself as MK's least useful move.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Even so, there's still 2 or so frames of vulnerability when you land, and another 2 before your spot dodge activates, so it won't save you from active lingering hitboxes.

Top Bottom