• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New suicide throw

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow R.O.B. squad bot players I have something interesting to share. I was not sure where to post this so I just made a new thread for it. I have not noticed anyone talking about it ever so i don't think it is common knowledge. On dreamland as the tree is blowing if you get a grab on someone you can go for up throw and the tree will blow you both off. It can net you some really cheap wins haha enjoy. Just remember to make sure you have a stock to spare because like the others you will die first! Of course if they have some percent you can just hold and pummel if you need to wait a bit so you can get close enough to the edge. Additional note I do not know if you guys are aware of this either but I find it a good mix up. That is when there is an item on the ground (gyro) as you land you can press z and a direction and you will instantly pick up the item and roll. Seems to be like you can slightly buffer it so you can do it rather quickly. Use it for mix ups and when you're landing and wanna get your top but then hurry and get out of the opponent's face or quickly get behind them and start setting up a trap.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I'm pretty sure most of us knew that you could suicide throw on dreamland. You can also do it on Smashville, Town and City and any other stage with platforms that move off the stage.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Whether known or not, this is the kind of stuff that needs to be shared bc not everyone knows. We need to share information as we collect it. Thx for sharing!

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for sharing bro. Even if it is common knowledge I may not have thought it in a case where the opportunity would have presented :) If I beat someone like this I will owe you one ;)

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
haha you guys are welcome I knew about the smashville town and city one but dreamland I did on accident and never thought about it nor have I seen it posted on here. I just thought it should be common knowledge for all rob mains not just the experienced ones.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Whether known or not, this is the kind of stuff that needs to be shared bc not everyone knows. We need to share information as we collect it. Thx for sharing!
Off topic but I am super bummed I missed my chance to play you in tournament. My alarm clock didn't go off so I missed my ride it was set perfectly I swear just said nope stay asleep.

JSwiss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jswiss
3DS FC
1693-3370-5027
Okay, so in a tournament setting does this count towards the suicide clause? As in if both characters are on their last stock and we do this does the ROB get the win like Bower, DDD, Wario and etc.? I personally think it should count but I've never seen it mentioned in any rules. I don't see any difference other than it is more situational and harder to do.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
This was actually already talked about here, but I guess it's pretty old anyway :p
Does this work for all characters with upthrows that fly up?
I've tried Kirby and Charizard in a custom stage, but the opponent ends up hitting the ground anyway.... in mid air.

This was with a slanted ceiling, but I'm pretty sure it'll happen the same way with moving platforms and wind.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I wonder if this works for Kirby and Charizard... I'll have to try it out!

Jaaahsh

Smash Cadet
Okay, so in a tournament setting does this count towards the suicide clause?
Lots of TOs are kinda sloppy in rule-writing. I make it explicit that a ROB suicide throw counts as a suicide move and results in a ROB win, but I predict many TOs haven't thought about it or don't want to commit it to a ruleset. Check in with them before a tournament, just in case. I know I've definitely done it in tournament (at a tournament I wasn't running that nevertheless used my MN ruleset) and the opponent was furious that the ruleset explicitly stated it. I didn't tell them I wrote the rule, though...

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lots of TOs are kinda sloppy in rule-writing. I make it explicit that a ROB suicide throw counts as a suicide move and results in a ROB win, but I predict many TOs haven't thought about it or don't want to commit it to a ruleset. Check in with them before a tournament, just in case. I know I've definitely done it in tournament (at a tournament I wasn't running that nevertheless used my MN ruleset) and the opponent was furious that the ruleset explicitly stated it. I didn't tell them I wrote the rule, though...
I remember a Bowser making a thread on Smashboards because a TO told him that Bowsercide was in the clause but then he did it and lost because the TO was wrong, so he made the thread to talk about it.

Personally I would take a good look at the written rules and follow them, at least then you will not get surprises like this.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Most places will just go by what the game says (perfectly logical) unless sudden death occurs. Definitely consult your TO before you throw your stock away on this trick.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
We should all petition to get this put into the standard ruleset for smash 4. It wouldn't be fair all these other characters in the past get special suicide throw treatment and not R.O.B.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've never had ROB's uthrow go to sudden death, I've only ever lost the match if we're both on last stock, so I'm not sure ROB is really deserving of the win in suicide situations.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I've never had ROB's uthrow go to sudden death, I've only ever lost the match if we're both on last stock, so I'm not sure ROB is really deserving of the win in suicide situations.
R.O.B. always deserves to win.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Yea true you do technically die first so I guess no one will ever pay attention to it as part of a suicide rule. :( not fair

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's been known (works on Luminose on the 3DS when the platform contracts), but definitely needs some publicity.

For some more fun, it works on Lylat, too.

As far as suicide rules go, generally the suicider loses either way (though there's plenty of reconsideration going on). But even if you follow the game's ruling, ROB dies.

To the above conversation, Kirby, Metaknight, and Charizard all impact at launch height, even if the platform has moved.

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
It's been known (works on Luminose on the 3DS when the platform contracts), but definitely needs some publicity.

As far as suicide rules go, generally the suicider loses either way (though there's plenty of reconsideration going on). But even if you follow the game's ruling, ROB dies.

To the above conversation, Kirby, Metaknight, and Charizard all impact at launch height, even if the platform has moved.
Looks like it only happens as the stage begins to tilt down on the side you are on.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Looks like it only happens as the stage begins to tilt down on the side you are on.
The distance on the x-axis that the edge has from the center is equal to cos(θ)*L/2 where L is the length of the stage and θ is the angle that the side of the stage where R.O.B. is positioned makes. And since |θ| is never greater than τ/4 radians, The length on the x-axis will always become shorter when |θ| increases. This means that if |θ| increases enough during R.O.B.'s Upthrow and R.O.B. initiated the Upthrow from the very edge he should be able to Citycide if the value of |θ| does not decrease quickly enough.
And since |θ| increases when R.O.B.'s side of the stage moves up as well as when it movees down R.O.B. might be able to Citycide when the stage tilts up on his side as well,

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman

Got the lylat suicide throw in tourney haha thanks for the info.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I got this by accident and died laughing. I was on 3DS, Arena Ferox. Testing showed it can be done on at least these two formes. It can also be done on Prism Tower towards the end of the walk-off section, though it requires proper timing. Not sure if it can be done off of the Blaargwich on Yoshi's, but if so that's 4/6 3DS stages where this would work!

Raijinken

Smash Master
I got this by accident and died laughing. I was on 3DS, Arena Ferox. Testing showed it can be done on at least these two formes. It can also be done on Prism Tower towards the end of the walk-off section, though it requires proper timing. Not sure if it can be done off of the Blaargwich on Yoshi's, but if so that's 4/6 3DS stages where this would work!
I didn't even know it was possible until I was on the last kill of ROB's all star mode and the platform compressed underneath me.

Compared to the rest of suicide throws (or rather, their inability to suicide), it's pretty obscure.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It can be done on another transformation on Ferox - namely, the one with the wall and platform in the middle, and two raised platforms either side. The raised platforms shake in response to movement on them, and you can get an U-Throw suicide at the edge of one of these. I accidentally got it on Anther's Ladder; I was only going for the normal kill due to how high the platforms are.

As for use, a last stock situation is never advisable but I've found it very useful on ladder. If you get a stock lead at high percent and the opponent is fishing for the kill this is a fantastic way of getting a pretty noticeable lead. If you're at a noticeable percentage deficit on the same stock it can also be useful.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
The distance on the x-axis that the edge has from the center is equal to cos(θ)*L/2 where L is the length of the stage and θ is the angle that the side of the stage where R.O.B. is positioned makes. And since |θ| is never greater than τ/4 radians, The length on the x-axis will always become shorter when |θ| increases. This means that if |θ| increases enough during R.O.B.'s Upthrow and R.O.B. initiated the Upthrow from the very edge he should be able to Citycide if the value of |θ| does not decrease quickly enough.
And since |θ| increases when R.O.B.'s side of the stage moves up as well as when it movees down R.O.B. might be able to Citycide when the stage tilts up on his side as well,

Top Bottom