• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New SSB4 player, need some advice

Mackdack54

Smash Rookie
Hey All,

I need some advice on getting better. I'm sure this topic has been discussed but I wanted to start a new thread, so please humor me.

This is my first SSB and I really would like to get the nuances of the game. I got so frustrated last night playing for glory because I was simply getting rocked constantly and didn't really know how to get out of any of the moves.

I decided to main toon link because I like him. I don't wa t to just main someone that I do t care about because then it is t as fun.

So bottom line....I want to get better but don't really know how. I can hold my own against level 7 and 8 bots.

Are there any resources on YouTube e for tips and tactics?

Thanks everyone!!

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I'm pretty sure there are a few videos but here are some tips from your pal liets!

-Find some alright combos of 2-4 moves or something with a character you like.
But don't use it too often because that's spamming.

-Learn which moves are your approach moves and which are moves to use whilst up in their face.

-If you have a good aerial game, that helps especially against people who are more ground-reliant. Confound them with short hops and quick air moves

-If you can pick up a character not many people use, you have an advantage because less people will then know how to counter them. For instance if you can handle a Robin alright, you're already in a good area

-If they're coming at you in a diagonal fall, a great thing to do (if you can land it) is a smash attack. A powerful hit while their guard is down is always nice.

And that's all I've got for now!

Mackdack54

Smash Rookie
Alright thanks. I'm going to look for some combos for toon link and train with a friend today. Ill start there.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
well first you'd need to learn the basics, which all characters can do in the game. here is a small list of things you might want to learn starting with easy and getting harder:

• walking
  • running
  • attacking
  • smashing
  • tilting
  • shielding
  • grabbing
  • short hopping
  • fast falling
  • dodging
  • aerial dodging
  • teching

I'm separating these last few because these will vary greatly on the character you use.

• special moves (since each character has its own set of special moves, you need to learn each one individually to know what they are capable of.)
  • recovery (which includes a combination of jumping, wall jumping, tethering, certain special moves, and options when grabbing the ledge)

once you got these down, then you move into the more advanced stuff. things like the neutral game, spacing and zoning, specific character combos, and edgeguarding to assure that you get the stock off the opponent.

since you're maining toon link, I'd recommend checking out the TL subforum. there should probably be an advanced guide or a Q&A there.

Last edited:

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
Roll, Shield and air-dodge like there's no tomorrow.

And taunt

Top Bottom