• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Squirtle Technique. ~

Ulevo

Smash Master
NOTE: I did not put the thread title as such so as to claim I necessarily found a new technique, but rather to draw attention to something I find very useful, and would like to inform people of if they are already not aware. So please don't go off a cliff with "LAWL u noob OLD" and the like.

For those of you who are familiar with Ganondorf, he has a technique called Thunderstorming. Being a slow character, he has quite a bit of lag on most of his aerials. Thunderstorming is an exception to this, and is the process of using a Dair whlile timing it so the Dair comes out as Ganondorf is jumping, rather than at the peak of a short hop. As a result, Ganon is able to continuously use short hopped Dairs in a quick succession with no lag upon landing. This is known as Thunderstorming. For a better reference, look it up on youtube or in the Ganondorf sub forum.

Now, you may be wondering what this has to do with Squirtle. Well, while I was playing around with him, I noticed that Squirtles Nair is rather useful. It isn't very strong in knockback, but it doesn't have a very unorthadox pattern, and has decent priority. It's also fairly quick coming out. It did however have lag upon landing. However, if you apply the same method as Thunderstorming, the lag is reduced to zero. This creates a VERY good approach that is hard to shield grab, creates good pressure and racks up damage quite well. It also leads into the Standard A combo, Tilts, and Grabs. Oh, it's good to start up after Shellshifting too.

I personally like to refer to it as SHelling, but that is to simplify it as it makes sense. Again, this may be common knowledge or previously known, but I found it very useful in practice and was wanting to contribute to some people looking to improve squirtle game.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to know that Squirtle can auto-cancel with nair, but the term generally used for this is "auto-canceling." Ganondorf got a special mention for his I guess, though, because it's so epic. Just giving you the term so you can convey your idea more understandably on smashboards. Call it what you want, but if you want to make it easier for people to get your point, just call it auto-canceling.

Ulevo

Smash Master
does nair have sex-kick properties?
I wouldn't say it has sex kick properties necessarily. The hitbox itself isn't huge, but because of the range in which squirtle moves, it may seem so. Since Squirtle moves from side to side, it makes it a rather odd move to dodge or shield grab. Chasing with it is great due to the way he moves and since Squirtle has a lot of reign of his DI while aerial. It's also fast, and if done properly, the attack animation will start from the moment Squirtle jumps until he hits the floor, so there's little room for openings.

It's nice to know that Squirtle can auto-cancel with nair, but the term generally used for this is "auto-canceling." Ganondorf got a special mention for his I guess, though, because it's so epic. Just giving you the term so you can convey your idea more understandably on smashboards. Call it what you want, but if you want to make it easier for people to get your point, just call it auto-canceling.
I will take that into consideration, as it seems like a more practical explination. I could have just summed this thread up in "Squritle can auto-cancel his Nair for an amazing approach". I gave it the name SHelling because it to me will seem like an essential part of Squirtles game, or at least a significant option, compared to auto canceled aerials for other characters. I wasn't expecting for anyone to stick with the term or even give it a term of their own, but I found it easier to explain that way.

Vro

Smash Lord
Rather than calling everything a new technique and a new name, why don't you just let the community know that nair is auto-cancelable if done quickly with the jump.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Rather than calling everything a new technique and a new name, why don't you just let the community know that nair is auto-cancelable if done quickly with the jump.
Again, my mistake. I personally do not like everyone throwing names around for the sake of naming a technique, especially when it doesn't make sense and it's only for credibility/have a cool name. The entire point of naming a technique is to simplify it in a sensible manner so that it makes sense and helps in being direct with explanation.

However, telling someone whom is asking for advice on Squirtle something along the lines of "for a good approach, enter with some Shellshifted tilts and possibly Standard A. If they begin to go Shield happy, SHelling will do for an approach as well." makes more sense to me, rather than saying the longer term of "consistent auto-canceled Nairs", but then again, I am not going to make the decision for the entire forum to start calling it that. I had my reasons for doing it, which were reasonable (as Squirtles Nairs look more significant to Squirtles game then say Links Nairs do to Link), and it is entirely up to your discretion. Also, when I say SHelling, I am referring to the process of pressuring your oppenent with auto canceled Nairs, not the actual Nair itself. Much how wearing down a shield in Melee with Falco using L Canceling Dairs in succession was called Pillaring.
It's the same concept. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person who introduced Shellshifting and Hydroplaning called it those names for that particular reason; I don't see anyone not calling it those. If you want to argue that it's because of the significance of those techniques, try auto-cancel Nairing for yourself.

At any rate, I didn't make the thread to say "hey guys I named a tech!" and then have to defend my right to do so, so please disregard that as it wasn't my intention. I just think it's a lot of fun and very useful, so I'd like some feedback from others. Actually, I was facing a lvl 9 earlier, and he started doing this to me when Squirtle was out. It's quite annoying, actually.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
You wouldn't say "consistent auto-canceled nairs".

You'd just say nairs. You have let us know that it can be auto-canceled. It's up to the new PT trainers to learn what moves are/aren't auto-cancel-able.

Vro

Smash Lord
I understand that you want clarification, but why would anyone do a normal nair when they can be autocancelled?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I understand that you want clarification, but why would anyone do a normal nair when they can be autocancelled?
They wouldn't. Why would anyone want to not L Cancel in Melee with a Dair from Falco? The method to tearing a shield with the L Cancel Dairs was called Pillaring. The method to pressuring someone, shielding or not, with Auto Nairs was what I was referring to as SHelling, not simply auto canceling the Nair. I should have been more clear on that.

Anyway, refer to it as you like. Unfortunately I don't have a cam to record this properly to display its uses.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
If nair had sex kick properties, then you might want to hit with the initial part of the move to get maximum knockback and damage as opposed to a weak hit. Thus you -might- opt for a "melee style" shffl as opposed to what is described here. Only problem, of course, is that the lag is increased since no l-cancelling...

Hence my question.

schof

Smash Rookie
Thank you for this post. Apparently this board is so overly critical they cannot even be fair. At any rate, this technique definately has its uses and I just tore up an opponent who normally smokes my Squirtle using this. The name doesn't matter, after people give it a shot and realize it is useful eventually they will credit you. Thanks again!

Top Bottom