• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New small ideas! Any thoughts?

IcyLight

Smash Lord
First, i'd like you all to watch roughly 2:38 to 2:44 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbKhjjHdbs

See the tether ledge cancel into the instant jump + nair? I figured out how to do it 100% of the time. I'm not sure if anyone else figured it out, but I never see anyone use it purposely and it seems like it can be a very good addition to our character to throw it out now and then.

You basically do the tether ledge cancel, and if you hold directly towards the stage and hit your A button right after you hear the pikmin grab the edge (not the sound of the chain, but the part where it actually latches the edge), it will immediately bring you to the stage and do a full hop, and since you touch the stage during this you get your double jump back as well. I used this last weekend during a tournament and got an extremely quick fair out of it, it's really quick and surprising.

The other thing I was thinking...you know how marth lets go of the edge and fairs through the stage? Why don't we do it? The yellow pikmin goes as far as the tip of the green arrow on FD (assuming no texture). We always drop down and do the uair plank, why not throw out the fair sometimes to get them away from you? It's pretty useful imo with the right color pikmin :)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I wouldn't... spam it in the same way they do, though. They can get back to the ledge about 20 frames faster than we can.

EDIT: With longer invincibility and no tether limit.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Why are you pressing A when you tether the ledge... do you have special mapped to it?

IcyLight

Smash Lord
No, for some reason the full hop from the tether only works when tapping A, not exactly sure why but that's how you do it. A as in normal attack, no controller changes.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Ledge options see to be the topic here so I'll go over every single ledge option I've come up with (spent lots of time thinking about this, since Oli off stage is no bueno)

*uair. Duh. Drop then jump uair, regrab the ledge. Here's a nifty thing to do though: since people will shield this, sometimes I'll take a risk and drop a little lower, then Uair. They will shield the entire time and you will have a chance to shieldpoke. Careful with spacing this move in general, MK can drop shield-dsmash if you don't space it right.

*drop uair-rise uair. Nice mixup for the people that try to grab the ledge while you drop. Sometimes people get overeager and will try to grab the ledge even after they get hit by the drop uair. It never works and you'll catch them with the second uair.

*uair-autocancel onto the stage. You can do this move really close to the ledge and make it look like you're gonna regrab, then land on the stage with no lag.

*instant tether. Yall know. Gotta try icylights stuff.

*standard ledge options. Regular getup, attack (olis getup attack is so good!!!) Roll (I always get hit for this lol) jump. I use jump sometimes and whistle bounce around to try to land if I think they are gonna do something weird.

It all just depends on what's appropriate for the situation. If they are crowding the ledge, double uair is nice. If they are giving you a little room, instant tether. If they are just shielding really close to the ledge, wait a second then uair. If you're not sure, just keep regrabbing the ledge (seriously don't worry about the LGL) until you feel like you can make it back. Sometimes they'll just give you room just because. Seriously, be patient on the ledge!!! There's no need to force yourself back. I used to always immediately try to get back on stage but I'd get ***** for it, now I just take my time, or I'll try to get on immediately depending on the situation.

Also, just make sure you keep attacking. I notice a lot of you cheat and just hide in your shield. Feel free to move around even if you miss an attack and you feel vulnerable. If you get stuck in your shield this means you're not moving or attacking. I do my best only to shield when I have to, or when I'm really sure they are gonna do a move I can punish.

Jump at people when they are landing to scare them. Do random stuff sometimes, like charge usmash for absolutely no reason.

Oh, something I've been doing as a mixup against glide attack is when MK is coming towards me, I'll dash towards it then immediately dash away and pivot grab. The first dash is out of a dashdance, so it's pretty much instant. Kinda cool.

Bored in Maryland so I've been checkin out SWF lately lolol. We'll see how long I can hang out before I get scared away by hentai and ponies XD

:phone:

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Jump at people when they are landing to scare them. Do random stuff sometimes, like charge usmash for absolutely no reason.

Oh, something I've been doing as a mixup against glide attack is when MK is coming towards me, I'll dash towards it then immediately dash away and pivot grab. The first dash is out of a dashdance, so it's pretty much instant. Kinda cool.
:phone:
These 2 are EXTREMELY important if you do not do them already. This is one of my best mind games to throw out, and about 90% of the time I hit them or get a grab off during or immediately afterwards. I highly suggest everyone reading this topic start using these more =)

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Throwing a pikmin at a gliding MK can be pretty good. MK has to choose between either taking pummel damage or continue chasing you in hopes that he'll connect a hit. If he decides to kill the pikmin, he can't glide attack and will choose another move that you can possibly punish easier.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
But isn't glide attack already one of his easiest aerial moves to punish...?

Top Bottom