• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Side-B Options

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
I've been playing Ike a lot recently because of his new buffs and I've noticed that with Side-B you can do a lot more than you could before because of the reduced start up. I've been wondering what other people think, because I've been able to follow up on getting a knock down when they don't tech and canceling the landing lag and getting a sliding U/F-Smash. Does anyone know about any other ways to use it like we couldn't before?

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I've notice that if timed right, you can land from a QD just above the ground and have no landing lag. I can get it when fully charged, but I am trying to see if I can time it either uncharged or charged just enough so I can slide into an up-tilt, grab, or f-tilt so it can be a kill option or catch my opponent off guard.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
It is interesting that you brought this up because I was in the lab with this very recently. I used Falcon as my test subject, and starting at about 10% the following appear to be true combos.

1. Auto-cancelled QD --> D-tilt --> U-tilt

The stronger hit of U-tilt almost always hits. If it does not, then the lingering hit will.

2. Auto-cancelled QD --> D-tilt --> B-air --> Grab --> D-throw/U-throw --> Any aerial, except D-air.

The momentum from QD will allow you to slide a bit past your opponent while using D-tilt. This puts you in a perfect position to use B-air afterward, then do a turnaround Grab.

Some other things I know that makes use of QD's momentum:

- Sliding Eruption
- Turnaround B-air (looks like RAR B-air, but no dashing involved)

QD as an offensive tool is a commitment, but it can be useful against those that are unaware of its cancel properties. I may plan on dedicating a video to this soon. ^-^

Last edited:

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
It is interesting that you brought this up because I was in the lab with this very recently. I used Falcon as my test subject, and starting at about 10% the following appear to be true combos.

1. Auto-cancelled QD --> D-tilt --> U-tilt

The stronger hit of U-tilt almost always hits. If it does not, then the lingering hit will.

2. Auto-cancelled QD --> D-tilt --> B-air --> Grab --> D-throw/U-throw --> Any aerial, except D-air.

The momentum from QD will allow you to slide a bit past your opponent while using D-tilt. This puts you in a perfect position to use B-air afterward, then do a turnaround Grab.

Some other things I know that makes use of QD's momentum:

- Sliding Eruption
- Turnaround B-air (looks like RAR B-air, but no dashing involved)

QD as an offensive tool is a commitment, but it can be useful against those that are unaware of its cancel properties. I may plan on dedicating a video to this soon. ^-^
Yeah good idea, I want to figure out what exact height you need to be to auto cancel.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Number 2 looks like it would be so hype to land all the way through. That's about 40%+ damage. Add a decent smash in there to put opponent at kill range.
To tell you the truth, I think a good Ike could keep up with a lot of high tiers, top tiers may be pushing it but still, this side b tech is amazing.

NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
To tell you the truth, I think a good Ike could keep up with a lot of high tiers, top tiers may be pushing it but still, this side b tech is amazing.
If it means anything, ZeRo reviewed Ike and said that Ike could be middle-high tier or top-low tier (if I recall correctly).

Speaking of Side-Bs, it's amazing what you can do if you catch the opponent unawares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pYFBToVyMI Just that first bit, now. This is just a confidence booster clip. No way I'm on level with the regulars here. Lots of room for improvement.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
If it means anything, ZeRo reviewed Ike and said that Ike could be middle-high tier or top-low tier (if I recall correctly).
I think he said something like that, but I think you mean top mid tier. Either way tiers don't matter as much to me, playing a "low tier" character just makes me want to perfect them and prove that they can be used well.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Since D-tilt has a lot of hit stun and doesn't pop them up too much I don't think you would need to at low percents. Although it may depend on the weight of your opponent.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Do you have to perfect pivot to get the RAR N-air to connect to the D-tilt or can you just turn around and still get it.
A simple turnaround will do just fine, which was how I did it. The N-air landing lag reduction from 1.0.8. makes this easier to do. ^-^

Azureflame

Smash Rookie
Cool because I really suck at perfect pivoting. I know that Ike can make good use of it but it feels like it is to difficult to do mid match.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I assume for the reverse B-air it is the same as well then?
Correct. There was no perfect pivoting involved in any of these. Timing it to hit from D-tilt is the difficult part. At the very moment that you can act out of D-tilt, that is when you turn around and B-air toward your opponent. RAR B-air after D-tilt could possibly work as well. If D-tilt had better IASA frames it would have been easier to do and that it would have registered as a combo more often.

^-^

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
I was testing some other options, and if I did an F-Smash it canceled most of my momentum. I went on For Glory to see if the common player could see it coming and it worked 8/10 times because they don't see it coming at all. It helps connect Ike's slower, more powerful kill moves and so I think that would be a good option late into the game.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cool because I really suck at perfect pivoting. I know that Ike can make good use of it but it feels like it is to difficult to do mid match.
Yeah someone should make a perfect pivot guide for ike, cause I can't get it at all

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah someone should make a perfect pivot guide for ike, cause I can't get it at all
The easy way is to just press an attack in the middle of the dash dance (when your control stick passes the middle). Ex. dash dance right O, O->, O*, <-O, input something at the second O. Might not get it every single time, but it's easy without being very technical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom